d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > 2014 Nfl Draft Analysis
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.27
May 16 2014 11:26pm
There have been some changes so please read this little bit of text before diving in and complain about this. If you say some stupid shit that was already covered in here, I might have to make fun of you and we all know how much being made fun of on the internet hurts. :(

Here's the normal spiel from last year.
In this thread I will be analyzing every single pick by every single team. I will be listing teams in alphabetical order within their divisions. I will grade each team’s overall draft on a standard A+ to F- grading scale. Keep in mind this is purely my own personal opinion. I’m not always right but I’m not always wrong. One last thing, something that VickIsSick07 pointed out to me is that you can’t really say “They could have got this same player at a later pick” because you really don’t know. So, when I do say something along those lines, I usually do truly believe that player would be available still at that later pick but at the very worst a player of equal quality would be available.

Keep in mind that overall grade takes a few things into account. Player’s talent, value at the position they were drafted, need for the team, scheme fit, etc etc etc.

The first two years that I did this I felt like I was just regurgitating what I said about guys in my position rankings (which can be found below) in a longer and more drawn out way. This year, while I still did mention some things from those rankings, I more discussed just my personal thoughts on the fit. How the player and team go together and/or what the team might be thinking with the pick, if it makes sense, that kind of stuff. So, it's a little bit different but still a complete breakdown of every pick.

As for a team's final pick or late round picks, those are usually all guys who could be considered UDFAs by most and that team just liked that particular guy so they drafted him so they wouldn't lose him as an UDFA. There's always exceptions to that but if my analysis on late draft picks are small to nothing of an actual analysis, that's why. It's all the same situation.

AFC North

Baltimore Ravens
17) C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
There’s a bit to like a bit to hate here with this pick. There’s no denying Mosley’s talent and the need the Ravens had but many were scared off due to Mosley’s nagging injuries. Hopefully it’s nothing but only time will tell on this one. For now it’s just an average pick in my eye.

48) Timmy Jernigan, NT, Florida State
Yes that’s right, he’s going to be playing NT for the Ravens. Idk how I feel about that one but it’s not a horrible pick. Jernigan was once the top DT in this draft. A few things made him slide, a failed drug test hurt him, but in the end he’s still a great talent so while many dislike this pick, I like it a lot for the Ravens.

79) Terrence Brooks, FS, Florida State
This is the Ravens’ best pick of the draft. Brooks is a second round talent who fell a bit for no particular reason. He’s a good player who I’m not particularly in love with but I see the talent and I understand why many were high on him. He’s going to be a great compliment to Elam (if I got it right this time that is. Did I Terps? Lol)

99) Crockett Gilmore, TE, Colorado State
Straight up, I had never heard Gilmore’s name before he was drafted. In the little bit I’ve seen on him since then I can see some potential there but I don’t think the Ravens’ needed to spend a pick this early on him with some of the other talent available.

134) Brent Urban, DE/DT, Virginia
Love this pick. I wanted Urban on the Cardinals for a lot of reasons. Guy has a motor that just doesn’t quit and has all the physical tools to play in the NFL. Doubt he’ll ever be a pro bowl kind of guy but he’s going to be the guy who you can rely on and that’s almost more important.

138) Lorenzo Taliaferro, RB, Coastal Carolina
Uhhhh maybe the Ravens’ staff saw something I didn’t but Taliaferro was a late round pick, possibly udfa in my book and there was a lot of RB talent still available at this pick. I understand the need with Ray Rice playing Mike Tyson Punch-Outt!! IRL but still, there was better talent at the position available.

175) John Urschel, G, Penn State
Not like the Ravens need any starting guards but depth was needed so this is a solid pick. Right time for Urschel to be drafted so solid pick all in all.

194) Keith Wenning, QB, Ball State
I think there were better backup QB options available at this point but the Ravens’ staff went with Wenning so you have to assume he did something to earn their vote of confidence. Just have to have faith in them but then again, it is only a backup QB so it’s not the end of the world if he doesn’t work out. Inb4flaccojokes.

218) Michael Campanaro, WR, Wake Forest
Jeez I was wondering when the Ravens would take a freaking receiver. Well, they got a good one here imo. Campanero was reliable but never spectacular in college and performed well at the combine. I’ve liked the very little of him that I have seen and learning behind a guy like Steve Smith is going to do him wonders.

UDFA) James Hurst, OT, North Carolina
It baffles me that Hurst was not drafted. Ravens were looking for some OT depth and possibly a starting RT and in all honesty, Hurst can come in and start at RT from day one. I still have no idea why he wen’t undrafted.

Overall the Ravens had a solid draft. They got some good talent in the later sections but reached a little in the first round. Many think the second round selection of Jernigan was a poor decision but I personally like it. Brooks and Elam is going to be one of the best safety tandems in the league and they addressed all of their needs. The only question is, did they leave talent on the board? Could they have gone in a different route and got better talent per position they drafted? Well that’s easy to say in hindsight but I believe they could have.

Overall grade – B

Cincinnati Bengals
24) Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
Bengals had a massive need at corner and Dennard is one of the best from this class. There’s no question that Dennard should have been off of the board already so the Bengals got huge value here. Fills a need, huge talent, great value, it’s the perfect pick.

55) Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU
So many people are hating on this pick and I don’t understand it. BJGE sucks. He’s always sucked. He sucked in New England, he’s sucked in Cinci, he sucks. OK, he’s average but he’s not good lol. He’s a decent pairing piece but he’s not that great. Jeremy Hill has a lot of upside and is the perfect complement to Giovani Bernard. I love this pick and don’t care what anyone has to say about it.

88) Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia
I think the Bengals whiffed it a bit here. Clarke doesn’t fit a 4-3 too well and with a guy like Cassius Marsh still on the board, it stunned me that they went Clarke. But, scheme fit aside Clarke is a good talent with a lot of potential. It’s all going to boil down to how he plays in the Bengals base 4-3.

111) Russell Bodine, C, North Carolina
Love the pick. Bodine can play all 3 interior positions but he’s definitely best suited for center. The Bengals have a huge hole at center and Bodine can come in and win the job immediately andbe an effective starter. Don’t say that too often about a fourth round guy.

164) A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama
I’m higher on McCarron than most. He’s a game manager and that’s about it. Alex Smith is his ceiling so don’t expect anything more. But, if Dalton continue to struggle, someone who can come in and just get by might be what the Bengals need. Just hand it off to Gio and Hill, put it within 5 yards of AJ and don’t give it to the other team. McCarron can do that.

212) Marquis Flowers, OLB, Arizona
Never heard of him, depth guy, what else is there to say?

239) James Wright, WR, LSU
Bengals put together a very solid draft up until the final 3 picks. But this late I like when a team drafts a guy that they want rather than go with a “more talented” prospect and hope to land the guy they want as an UDFA.

252) Lavelle Westbrooks, CB, Georgia Southern
I really expected the Bengals to address the secondary more in this draft. Dennard was a huge steal for them but that’s all they got. Just surprised me some.

UDFA) Alex Neutz, WR, Buffalo; James Wilder Jr., RB, Florida State
Neutz is one of my major sleepers in this draft. He’s not there yet but given some time and proper coaching he could develop into a very solid pickup for the Bengals. Wilder Jr. is just a guy I personally like for no particular reason. Doubt he’ll make the roster but I like him so be nice. :)

Overall the Bengals had a very good draft. They addressed needs with talent and got some security picks in there too. Bodine and Dennard can and likely will start from day one while Hill will split time with Bernard (so he’s basically a starter as well). Getting 3 day 1 starters is a lot more than some can say they got out of any draft.

Overall grade – A

Cleveland Browns
9) Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
It’s hard to love or hate this pick. Moving down was a great move by Cleveland but moving back up was silly unless someone was trying to move for Gilbert as I pointed out here http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70723690&f=204&o=0#p474833651. If that was the case, then it’s not so bad but still stilly. Either way, Haden and Gilbert are going to be a sexy combo, there’s no denying that and Cleveland got a first rounder next year out of moving down.

22) Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
Hopefully they finally got their franchise quarterback. I have nothing else to say about this really.

35) Joel Bitonio, OT/G, Nevada
Bitonio can start at left guard, center, right guard and right tackle and play them all at a very high level. That kind of versatility and talent is difficult to pass on. The kid is just a great football player and you can’t fault the Browns for taking him, especially when they have a need for at least 1 starter on their offensive line.

71) Christian Kirksey, ILB, Iowa
The Browns needed another ILB and Kirksey fits the spot well. He’s not going to be a player to wow you but he’s going to be reliable so you can’t really ask for a whole lot more.

94) Terrance West, RB, Towson
Ravens fans so salty. Dat nigga Swirv got me all kinds of hot and bothers over this kid and all I have to say is I hope he doesn’t perform like he did in college because if he does, poor Ben Tate and poor Ravens’ fans lol.

127) Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
Desir is a huge talent with massive value here. Why he was still on the board baffles me but the Browns got a steal. Haden, Gilbert and Desir is a deadly trio at corner.

UDFA) None to speak of.

Overall the Browns had a very good draft, I just feel like they missed one thing…..Oh yeah, they have no fucking receivers now. What in the actual fuck at the Browns thinking? If Gordon is suspended (as of me writing this idk if anything is for sure or not) the Browns and Manziel in particular are FUCKED. If they seriously go into the year with Little and Hawkins as their 1 and 2 then they may as well just sit Manziel for the year, learn and let Hoyer deal with that shit. Then next year they can land the top receiver in the draft with their top 5 pick and have Gordon back hopefully.

Overall grade on drafted players alone – A
Overall grade taking the unaddressed WR situation into account – D-

Pittsburgh Steelers
15) Ryan Shazier, ILB, Ohio State
Great pick by the Steelers. Shazier is going to bring talent, speed and youth to an aging and slow Steelers’ defense. This kid is going to fit right in with the Steelers’ way.

46) Stephon Tuitt, DE/DT, Notre Dame
Only one thing needs to be said about this pick. If the Steelers were to have taken Tuitt at #15 in the first round, some may have questioned it a bit, but most wouldn’t have blinked an eye. Tell me if you’ve heard this one before, the Steelers get a massive steal in the draft…

97) Dri Archer, RB/WR, Kent State
This is an interesting pick because it’s very un-Steeler like. The Steelers do not have a weapon like Archer and this is going to add an entirely new element to their offense. It’s been said a million times but just in case you were unaware, Archer is going to play a lot like Darren Sproles does and Steelers’ fans can only hope they’ll get that kind of production out of him.

118) Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson
Stop me if you’ve heard it before…jesus every fucking year this same shit happens. Steelers needed a WR desperately and they got a freak of nature here. Bryant is one of the most physically gifted guys in this draft and as long as he keeps his head on straight and the guys in the Steelers’ organization keep him in line, Big Ben is going to need a few extra pairs of pants on game day because he’s going to be so damn wet from this kid.

157) Shaq Richardson, CB, Arizona
I know very little about this kid but I do know he’s a big physical corner that the Steelers love and they needed help at the positon.

173) Wesley Johnson, C/G/OT, Vanderbilt
The Steelers offensive line wasn’t nearly as bad as many made it out to be but they did need to address the position in the draft. Johnson is very versatile and can help up and down that line if needed but as of now, he’ll provide solid, reliable depth.

192) Jordan Zumwalt, ILB, UCLA
I am in love with Zumwalt. The guy is just full of talent and potential. The Steelers needed to double dip at the ILB position since they were so thin and they landed a massive steal at this point in the draft.

215) Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee
Wait, have you heard this one before? I get sick and tired of talking about it every year but they keep doing it. These huge steals don’t always turn into great NFL players but at this point in the year, the Steelers just load up with talent. McCullers should have been gone in the second or third round so in the sixth it’s just a massive value pick that helps at a position of need as well.

230) Rob Blanchflower, TE, UMass
Never heard of him before but a TE was needed for the Steelers. Maybe Heath Miller can turn this late pick into yet another steal for the Steelers.

UDFA) None to speak of.

Overall the Steelers put together yet another tremendous draft. They got a lot of young talent for their defense and added an entire new element to their offense along with addressed the issue of depth on their offensive line. You couldn’t have asked for a better draft if you’re a Steelers’ fan.

Overall grade – A+

Definitely not enough room for everything in one post. Going to keep posting so try not to be that guy and post in between please. There will be 8 posts in total (one for each division). Don't be an asshole even though I know one of you will.
May 16 2014 11:27pm
AFC East

Buffalo Bills
4) Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
This was a poor decision on the Bills’ part. Not the player, but the moving up for him. Moving up like this is a good idea when you’re just one or two pieces away from winning it all but the Bills are much more than that. They gave up 2 firsts (and a 4th? 3rd? I don’t remember off the top of my head right now lol) for Sammy Watkins, an unproven player. Why not throw those 2 first round picks at Jimmy Graham? Show him what you’re doing and bring him in to help EJ Manuel? Keep Stevie Johnson and Robert Woods as your 2 feature receivers and have Jimmy Graham come in and just dominate as he does?

44) Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
Kouandjio looked like shit towards the end of the season and in predraft workouts. He was once thought to be a mid first round talent but that quickly died. This fills a huge hole at RT for the Bills but there were better prospects available.

73) Preston Brown, ILB, Louisville
The Bills needed to get some more young talent at LB to pair up with Kiko Alonso so this was going to happen eventually. I really like Preston Brown even though he wasn’t talked about much. He was a key piece to Louisville’s defense this year. I like him a lot for the Bills but this was a slight reach.

109) Ross Crockrell, CB, Duke
Bills apparently did their homework on some lesser known names. Cockrell is a big bodied corner with a lot of upside. I don’t know a whole lot about him but I have liked the little bit I have seen from him. Could be a very nice selection for the Bills in the near future.

153) Cyril Richardson, G/OT, Baylor
There’s a lot of mixed feelings on Richardson. Some say he was a Day 2 prospect, some say he was undraftable. I’m in the middle there and think this is the proper draft position for him. He has potential to be a very good guard in the NFL which the Bills sorely need. I question his work ethic but if he puts in the work this could be a steal for the Bills.

221) Randell Johnson, OLB, Florida Atlantic
No such thing as a reach in the 7th round so you can’t fault the Bills for drafting a guy they like and not risking losing him as an UDFA.

237) Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
Henderson is the perfect example of a boom or bust guy. He could potentially not even make the Bills roster or he could emerge as one of the most dominate tackles from this draft. It’s all going to depend on how hard he works and most think he’s going to bust so we’ll see.

UDFA) Kenny Ladler, S, Vanderbilt
I was surprised the Bills didn’t address the safety position in the draft but it worked out well because Ladler is a very talented guy. I can’t believe the amount of talent that went undrafted this year. All I can say is this guy might be starting before the season is over.

Overall the Bills did alright. If Sammy Watkins doesn’t come in and immediately produce for them then they’re going to be feeling it bad next year when they have no first. He’s going to make or break this draft entirely. They got a bunch of solid guys who can play their roles but other than Sammy, no one who looks like a star in the making but you always need guys who are just going to come in do their jobs so we’ll see but as of now, they could have done better in this draft, primarily by not moving up or using those 2 first rounders to make a run at Jimmy Graham.

Overall grade – C+

Miami Dolphins
19) Ja’Wuan James, OT, Tennessee
OK, I thought the Dolphins were the biggest trolls in the world when they said they had a first round grade on James but my god they fucking did it lol. It had to be partially smoke so they could land one of the top talents but when it came time and they were all gone, idk they have to see something in the kid everyone else didn’t.

63) Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
The Dolphins desperately needed receiver help because Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline are both bums. This is pretty much the right spot for Landry and he’s going to be able to step in and contribute immediately so solid pick here.

67) Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State
This is a tremendous pick by the Dolphins. It’s not often you find a starting left tackle in the third round. Although, with Miami’s horrible OLine, that’s not too difficult to do. Turner was very underrated throughout the entire predraft process and he’s going to get his chance to start right away and show everyone who passed on him how big of a mistake they made.

125) Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty
You know your cornerback situation is bad when Cortland Finnegan is starting for you so the Dolphins needed to address the area. Aikens is a big corner and has a lot of upside so don’t be surprised if you see him starting at some point in the season. Might even happen day 1.

155) Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia
Tannehill will never develop if his targets are shitty overrated guys like Mike Wallace. Plus he had no intermediate options so this is a good pick for the Phins and this is the right range for Lynch to be picked in as well.

171) Jordan Tripp, OLB, Montana
This is quite possibly the best pick the Phins made. Tripp is an excellent LB and should be an immediate starter and upgrade over their current guys. He should have been gone on day 2 so this pick has a lot of value as well.

190) Matt Hazel, WR, Coastal Carolina
More receiving help. Hazel will have a tough time cracking the top 4 but at this point it’s no biggie. He should help on special teams.

234) Terrence Fede, DE, Marist
7th round guy, nothing good to say but nothing bad either.

UDFA) Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU
Anthony Johnson fell more and more the closer we got to the draft but he should never have gone undrafted, there’s far too much talent there. The Phins landed a steal here.

Overall the Dolphins reached for some guys, filled some needs, had a few very good picks in Turner and Tripp and landed a stud as an UDFA. It wasn’t a spectacular draft but it was in no way shape or form bad. I still can’t get over the James pick in round one, that was just silly.

Overall grade – B

New England Patriots
29) Dominique Easley, DE/DT, Florida
This is a massive high risk high reward pick. With Easley’s ACL injuries this could blow up in the Patriots’ faces but if he stays healthy then the Patriots just got a top 10 talent at pick #29.

62) Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
OK, my man crush for Jimmy G is no secret but this is a poor selection for the Patriots. While I love the match of Garoppolo learning behind Brady and being his possible heir, the pick makes no sense for the Pats. They’re fighting tooth and nail with the Broncos to win it all now in the AFC and this pick does not help them win now.

105) Bryan Stork, C, Florida State
Patriots’ needed a center, a few came off the board so they reached for one. It’s not a horrible reach but Stork has a lot of talent, just some injury concerns. In the end, this isn’t a good or bad pick.

140) Cameron Fleming, OT, Stanford
This isn’t exactly a need filler pick but my god the value is tremendous. Fleming is a second round talent who fell this far, it’s amazing someone else didn’t snatch him up. The rich getting richer.

179) Jon Halapio, G, Florida
I love this pick. Not only is Halapio a fucking monster of a man and great talent but a fucking steal at this point in the draft. Great pickup for the Patriots. He’s only going to serve as depth for now but he could emerge as a starter down the road when needed.

198) Zach Moore, DE, Concordia
The closer we got to the draft the more and more I heard about Moore. Coming from a small school (first player ever drafted from there, fun fact I just learned) he’s a bit of an unknown but the Patriots wanted and needed to add DL depth so it’s a good fit.

206) Jemea Thomas, CB/S, Georgia Tech
I was really surprised the Patriots didn’t select a DB sooner than this but at this point in the draft Thomas holds some value so it’s a nice pick to add some depth to that secondary and help the special teams.

244) Jeremy Gallon, WR, Michigan
Last pick, see above for my thoughts on these. :)

UDFA) Joe Don Duncan, TE, Dixie State; James Morris, LB, Iowa
Morris definitely should have been drafted and is going to make this team which is always noteworthy for an UDFA. Joe Don Duncan is just a guy I like. He’s raw but I see some potential in him.

Overall the Patriots put together a very Patriot draft. They took quality talent at every pick. They did kind of stray from the win now mentality for a minute there but it was to draft Jimmy Garoppogod so idk how I can possibly fault them for that lol. Even if I were to fault them for it, it would only be a minor fault anyway so it’s no biggie. :D

Overall grade – A-

New York Jets
18) Calvin Pryor, SS, Louisville
This pick fucked the Cardinals hard is all I have to say about it. :D haha. But for the Jets it’s a great pickup. Surprised it wasn’t Dennard here but can’t fault the Jets for going either or. Jets’ fans are going to love watching Pryor out there lurking, just waiting to land the big hit.

49) Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
I at one point had Amaro as my #1 tight end. That changed but he’s still very talented. Big, physical and fast, he’s going to be Geno Smith’s safety blanket. Amaro is going to hold some fantasy value too because the Jets’ don’t have shit for receivers on their team, even when you include Decker.

80) Dexter McDougle, CB, Maryland
OH I get it, dat nigga Swirv took over as GM of the Jets, that has to explain this pick. Why else would they draft a likely UDFA this early? Has to be the Maryland thing. Terps you’re so silly.

104) Jalen Saunders, WR, Oklahoma
The Jets’ desperately need receiver help but they massively reached here.

115) Shaq Evans, WR, UCLA
The Jet’s desperately need receiver help but they massively reached here.
(And that’s coming from someone who is a huge fan of Shaq Evans)

137) Dakota Dozier, G, Furman
This is a very nice selection by the Jets. They’re pretty thin at guard and Dozier is a low risk, high reward guy. At worst you have a capable backup. At best you have a very high end starting guard. Idk if he’s pro bowl material but he’s capable of being considered one of the better guards in the league.

195) Brandon Dixon, CB, NW Missouri State
We’re at that point in the draft now where there really isn’t such a thing as a reach so there’s no fault on the Jets for this pick. They needed corner depth so it’s a solid addition.

209) Quincy Enunwa, WR, Nebraska
Who? Guess Rex Ryan is just YOLOing the shit outta this draft. If the kids do it, I can do it too says sexy Rexy.

210) IK Enemkpali, DE, Louisiana Tech
This is actually a nice pick. It’s not a steal but Enemkpali has some talent and could be a serviceable rotational guy in the Jets’ DLine.

213) Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
With the uncertainty around Geno and the fact that Boyd could have easily gone on Day 2 this is an excellent pick. I’m sure Geno will do well and inspire hope and then out of fucking nowhere you’ll see Tajh Boyd starting and Jets’ fans will be heard screaming world round.

233) Trevor Reilly, DE/OLB, Utah
For fucks sake the Jets had a shit ton of picks. Anyway, this is a fucking FANTASTIC pick by the Jets. Reilly is easily a Day 2 prospect and they landed him at the end of the 7th round. After Pryor this is the second most talented guy the Jets’ drafted this year.

UDFA) Non to mention.

Overall the Jets didn’t do so hot in this draft. They got a monster of a safety in Pryor, a solid option at TE, 3 massive reaches, a nice guard prospect, a few more guys who will never do much on the depth chart, another QB and then an absolute steal at the very end. I have a lot of mixed feelings here but their roster was so bad, they could have done almost anything and made improvments.

Overall grade – C+

Definitely not enough room for everything in one post. Going to keep posting so try not to be that guy and post in between please. There will be 8 posts in total (one for each division). Don't be an asshole even though I know one of you will.
May 16 2014 11:28pm
AFC South

Houston Texans
1) Jadeveon Clowney, DE/OLB, South Carolina
First things first. 99% of the time when I’m looking into guys or watching a little highlight tape, etc, I’m also watching Netflix (or have it on), have music playing or something so I never listen to the highlights, I only really read reports on guys, never really hear anyone talk about them. So at the draft, I learn how to properly pronounce a lot of guys names and boy was a butchering Clowney’s lol. I was saying Jah-DAY-VEE-on instead of Jah-dev-eeon. Anyway, the Texans couldn’t trade so they had to make this pick. I personally don’t like it, I think Clowney is a lot like Manziel. Loves all the perks of being a football player but doesn’t necessarily love being a football player. But the Texans really had no choice since they were asking an absurd amount for anyone to trade into this spot. Regardless of my personal feelings about Clowney, this was the right pick at #1.

33) Xavier Su’a-Filo, G, UCLA
Su’a-Filo is the best guard prospect in this draft without question (unless you count Zack Martin too then he’s second). He fits this range and fills a huge need for Houston so great pick atop the second round. With that said, I would have liked to see Houston takes Tuitt or Hageman here, they would have provided a slightly better value but that’s just nitpicking.

65) C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
Fiedorowicz was the last of the top talent at TE so the Texans snatched him up while they could. I think most would have rather seen a QB here but you can’t fault the Texans for sticking true to their draft board and drafting talent over need. It’s not like Ryan Fitzpatrick is a huge pile of shit. He’s a solid stop gap for the time being.

83) Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame
Hmmm, no QB still, well at least they got a first round talent. Seriously, I had Nix as my #2 DT behind Donald and my #1 overall NT. How the fuck did he fall this far? Texans got a steal here and even if they had Matt fucking Leinart as their starting QB, this would still be a great pick over any QB left at this point.

135) Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh
Savage has all the tools to be a legitimate starting QB in this league. Probably never one of those top end guys but someone who’s in the Carson Palmer range of guys. Always pretty damn solid but never super spectacular but can definitely win with talent around him. The only problem I have is Savage shouldn’t be starting right away so the Texans must believe in Fitzpatrick which as I already addressed isn’t a silly thing to do by any means.

177) Jeoffrey Pagan, DE/DT, Alabama
The Texans needed a guy to replace Antonio Smith and they got a solid one. This is the perfect range for Pagan and he’s a pretty solid talent. Not ready to start but def can develop into something nice.

181) Alfred Blue, RB, LSU
Foster and Brown are injury prone and Foster is overrated (inb4ragehate). The Texans needed to get a RB in this draft and I thought it’d come a lot sooner than this. But Blue is a decent pick up and fits this range.

211) Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Texans are one of the few teams who utilize a full back and Prosch is far and away the best one in this draft so this is a perfect pick.

216) Andre Hal, CB, Vanderbilt
I had a late third, early fourth round grade on Hal so this is a tremendous value pick. The Texans had a need too so this is another very very good pick by the Texans.

256) Lonnie Ballentine, S, Memphis
MR. IRRELIVANT! Try to hit up that crazy bitch from the youtube video a few years back, she was pretty hot.

UDFA) Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State; Nathan Slaughter, WR, West Texas A&M
I had a fifth round grade on Bullough and the Texans needed linebacker help inside so don’t be surprised if you see Bullough sneak his way into the starting lineup at some point. At worst he’s a very good depth guy. Nathan Slaughter, his last name is Slaughter, I mean come on!

Overall the Texans had a very fine draft for themselves as they should have. Consensus top player in the draft and one of the best prospects to come along in a while at the position, a great guard and tight end, a fucking steal with Louis Nix, QB of the future hopefully and then some solid late round picks that could turn into absolute steals all around. You can’t hate on any of the Texans picks, it was pretty much one of the best scenarios you could envision for them.

Overall grade – A+

Indianapolis Colts
59) Jack Mewhort, OT/G, Ohio State
PROTECT LUCK!!! Lol, there really isn’t more too this. Mewhort can start at guard for the Colts right away and eventually move out to right tackle. This is a solid first pick for the Colts.

90) Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
Moncrief is one of my biggest sleepers in this draft. He’s raw as fuck but he has loads of potential. I didn’t expect the Colts to draft a receiver this early but the value here is hard to pass on. Luckily, with the addition of Nicks and Wayne coming back, Moncrief won’t have to start right away and can learn from Wayne. But, with Wayne’s age and Nicks not signed long term, the Colts might come calling on Moncrief as soon as next year so hopefully he can develop quickly.

166) Jonathan Newsome, DE/OLB, Ball State
The Colts really reached here for a position they really didn’t even need to address in the draft. They really should have used this selection on some secondary help.

203) Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky
The Colts needed to address the inside of their linebackers and Andrew Jackson has a lot of value here. I like this kid a lot and he could emerge as a starter for the Colts sooner rather than later.

232) Ulrick John, OT, Georgia State
Late pick, would have been an UDFA but they locked him up. Not much more to it.

UDFA) Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
Purifoy is raw and has some issues that come with him but his talent is undeniable. He’s got the physical tools to succeed as an NFL corner but it’s going to be all about him now. Can he keep his shit together, work hard and make the most of this opportunity or is he going to slack off and not care. Only time will tell here.

Overall I like what the Colts did with very limited picks. If they had done a little better with their third pick they could have easily turned only 5 picks into a hell of a draft. But they whiffed pretty hard there and with so few picks it was difficult to really make up for it. Aside from that, they really couldn’t have asked for a better draft. Maybe a little help in their secondary earlier than an UDFA but again, with so few picks, you can’t do everything.

Overall grade – B-

Jacksonville Jaguars
3) Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
Many, myself included, didn’t see this coming but it’s not as if it’s a huge surprise as everyone is making it out to be. If the Jags were to draft a QB, many thought it’d be Manziel but idk why that was the consensus thought, especially after Manziel said he didn’t really want to play for them. So Bortles makes perfect sense to me anyway as far as a QB goes. They should have gone with Watkins or Mack obviously but if they felt like a QB was the right way to go, then this is the best option.

39) Marqise Lee, WR, USC
This is a fantastic selection. Blackmon is likely done with the Jags so they needed a new target for Bortles. Lee could have easily been taken in the first round so this pick holds a lot of value as well. Great selection by the Jaguars.

Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
Mixed reviews come when you speak of Robinson, some like him, some hate him but for the Jags I like this selection. With Cecil Shorts, Ace Sanders and Marqise Lee already in their stable of receivers, one more solid guy is what they needed and Robinson is that guy. If you want a young QB to succeed, you have to give him weapons and protect him, the Jags are doing just that.

93) Brandon Linder, G, Miami
I highly doubt the Jags really needed to trade up to land Linder but he fills a need and they obviously like him since they felt the need to trade up to make sure they got him. I like Linder but this is a bit of a reach for him.

114) Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
Colvin is going to spend the year on the PUP list but that’s OK. He’s a late first early second round talent who tore his ACL at the senior bowl practices and the Jags got him this late. It’s OK that they won’t get him this year because they aren’t in win now mode so next year they’ll be getting a great defensive piece along with whatever else they draft. Good draft and stash pick here.

144) Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State
I can’t believe Telvin Smith fell this far. The Jaguars are getting an absolute steal here and filling a huge need as well. I can’t really say any more about this pick other than well done.

159) Chris Smith, DE/OLB, Arkansas
I like Chris Smith a lot as the Jaguars LEO and he holds solid value at this point in the draft. He’s not a finished product yet but he’s got a lot of upside.

205) Luke Bowanko, C, Virginia
Remember how much money the Jaguars tried to give to Alex Mack? They clearly feel as if they need a center and I’m surprised they waited so long to draft one (although with the excellent picks they had fall to them aside from Linder, you can’t fault them one bit). I don’t know a lot about Bowanko though so I don’t have much more to say.

222) Storm Johnson, RB, Central Florida
Oh this is just too sexy of a pick. First off Johnson should have been off the board already. Second, you want your young QB to be comfortable so give him his old reliable from college. Storm Johnson has huge value here as a pick for any team but even more so for the Jaguars since they’re giving Bortles a running back and a player that he knows.

UDFA) Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State; Craig Loston, SS, LSU; Stephen Morris, QB, Miami
Reynolds is a ready to start now cornerback. I cannot begin to fathom how he went undrafted. He is smaller but that shouldn’t have been any reason for him to be undrafted. Great pickup for the Jags. Loston is a guy I wanted the Cardinals to snag in the third round if we hadn’t already got a SS so another solid grab by the Jags and Morris is just another QB they can check out as a developmental guy behind Bortles and Henne.

Overall the Jaguars had themselves one hell of a draft. Aside from moving up for Linder there isn’t a single pick you can fault. They got their franchise QB, pieces to surround him with, protection and a few nice pieces to help their defense. The Jaguars are definitely headed in the right direction but it’s all on Bortles’ shoulders now.

Overall grade – A+

Tennessee Titans
11) Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
This was a “shocking” pick. How so? Roos is pretty much done in Tennessee, Lewan was the BPA on the board at this point and Whizy is going to want to pound the ball and you have to have an OL for that (as seen in Arizona where the run game sucked ass the entire time Whizy was there lol). Anyway, this is a fantastic pick by the Titans, I’m glad they didn’t reach for a different prospect.

54) Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington
Well duh? How long did you expect the Titans to sit on a RB? Sankey will likely be a day 1 starter and should hold some nice fantasy value with Whizy wanting to pound the ball down the opponent’s throats. As for Sankey himself, I like him for the Titans a lot. He’s a good fit with them.

112) DaQuan Jones, NT, Penn State
About damn time the Titans get some proper personnel for their 3-4. That’s all I have to say about this one other than great pick by the Titans.

122) Marqueston Huff, S/CB, Wyoming
While the Titans did need to address their secondary at some point in this draft but straight up, I only heard this kid’s name one time prior to the draft and that’s when I was looking at some stuff for Robert Herron so I don’t have a lot to expand on here.

151) Avery Williamson, ILB, Kentucky
Again, the Titans are addressing their needs for their 3-4 but this time they really reached for a prospect. It’s a little early to be locking up potential UDFA though.

178) Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU
This was a solid final pick for the Titans. Total Ken Whisenhunt QB here in Mettenberger and an insurance policy for Locker. And at this point in the draft, Mettenberger has tremendous value.

UDFA) Gabe Ikard, G/C, Oklahoma; Hakeem Smith, S, Louisville
Ikard is a very talented interior lineman and I don’t know why he went undrafted but for the Titans he’ll be a reliable depth guy who can play all 3 interior positions. Calvin Pryor wasn’t the only talented safety at Louisville last year. Hakeem Smith has a lot of upside. He’s not ready to start but given some time to develop, he could turn into a legit NFL safety.

Overall the Titans did well. A few questionable picks there in the middle but some really solid picks around those two. I really wish they would have addressed their need for a rush linebacker but that’s just my personal thinking, they may feel their fine or have a different plan in mind, we’ll see.

Overall grade – B-

May 16 2014 11:29pm
AFC West

Denver Broncos
31) Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
I LOVE what Walt said about this pick. I read it when he was doing his live analysis/grades so I’m just going to copypasta the fuck outta that shit.

“You know what's great about Denver's win-now philosophy? They won't care very much if Bradley Roby gets into trouble down the road. The Broncos had to find players who could help them win right now, given Peyton Manning's career status, and Roby should help them do that. Roby had a brutal 2013 campaign, but he was stellar in 2012. Had he declared last year, he would've been a top-10 pick. Denver can coach him up and have him perform up to his ability.”

56) Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
Latimer was a late riser and when I saw he had a first round grade on him from a few people I was a little surprised so I wasn’t too shocked when he did fall a bit. But this far was a bit shocking. Denver got great value here and a physically imposing WR. The combination of Demarius Thomas and Cody Latimer is scary. I know Latimer won’t start right away with Welker and Sanders there but that’s going to be a sizeable duo.

95) Michael Schofield, OT, Michigan
Bit of a reach but solid depth addition here.

156) Lamin Barrow, LB, LSU
Broncos had to address the ILB position because they have no one really. Barrow is a great talent and this fits his range value wise. Don’t be surprised if you see Barrow work his way into the starting lineup this year.

207) Matthew Paradis, C, Boise State
Late round guy, depth, I honestly don’t know much about him.

242) Corey Nelson, OLB, Oklahoma
Never will fault a team for drafting a guy late that doesn’t really make sense but they want to make sure they lock up rather than possibly lose as an UDFA.

UDFA) Kapri Bibbs, RB, Colorado State; Bryn Renner, QB, North Carolina
Bibbs should have been drafted and the Broncos needed a bit more at RB so that’s a solid pick up. Wouldn’t shock me one bit if Bibbs won the starting job in Denver before the season is over. Well, yeah it would because Fox doesn’t use rookies lol. As for Renner, I like Osweiler and am curious to see what he may have learned sitting behind Peyton all this time and the Broncos also go Dysert last year who had some potential but between the two of them and Renner, I like Renner a hell of a lot more. Just personal thought on that one. :)

Overall the Broncos did what they wanted to. They added pieces to help them win right now. They have a year, maybe 2 before Peyton is likely going to call it a career so they had to add pieces to help make sure it happens now. The question is, is it enough to top whatever team comes out of the NFC? Doubtful in my opinion.

Overall grade – B+

Kansas City Chiefs
23) Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn
I was so happy for this pick. I through my hands in the air in excitement because that meant Dee Ford was not going to be on the board for the Cardinals to pick! I have nothing in particular to point out as to why I dislike Ford but my god I do not like him lol. As for the Chiefs, uhhhh what the fuck are they doing? Did they forget how atrocious their secondary was? Did they decide their current crop of weapons for game manager Alex Smith was good enough? Well uhhh…..

87) Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
Here we go. This was a great selection by the Chiefs. Rumors are swirling that they’ll trade Flowers which I hope they do not. Regardless if they do or don’t, Gaines is going to be a great compliment to Flowers and/or a great successor. He’s incredibly athletic and will need a bit of time to adjust to the NFL but at this point in the draft and with their pressing need the Chiefs couldn’t whiff on this pick as they did in round 1.

124) De’Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon
I understand the appeal of Thomas but the Chiefs have more pressing matters. While he’s going to be a nice check down target for Smith and likely will hop into the slot some, there was better talent available.

163) Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
If not for an injury, Murray is long gone by now so this pick holds nice value but is Murray really better than Alex Smith? I know he wasn’t drafted to be a replacement right now and more a draft and stash type pick but why not grab a guy who is more of a boom or bust guy and if he busts, at least you still have Smith? Idk, Reid has done some crazy shit with shit QBs before ( <_< ) so maybe he’ll do the same here.

193) Zach Fulton, G, Tennessee
Fulton has good value here and fills a need. I’m surprised the Chiefs waited this long to grab a guard though considering most believed they’d pick Su’a-Filo in the first round. Either way, Fulton has the potential to come in and start right away so that’s a tremendous pick this late in the draft.

200) Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT/G, McGill
Late round, depth, versatile, can’t argue it.

UDFA) None to mention.

Overall the Chiefs did what they could with so few picks. They really fucked up in the first round imo. They had no need for Ford and he was a second round prospect so it makes no sense. If he was an elite talent and they didn’t need him you can’t fault or. If he was a day 2 talent but a HUGE need position wise, you can fault it but not as much. But a day 2 prospect at an area of actual strength? All I can say is uhhh…. Aside from that, solid draft up and down. While it may not seem like it in my pick analysis, I actually do like the Murray pick. I would have rather seen them go a different route QB wise but Reid like likely make Murray look somewhat decent and pawn him off on an unsuspecting team for a top tier talent and a second round pick. <_<

Overall grade – D+

Oakland Raiders
5) Khalil Mack, DE/OLB, Buffalo
Mack was my #1 rated player in this draft. I love everything about him and his game. For the Raiders this is a steal. When they got to the 4th selection and Sammy Watkins and Mack were both available the Raiders’ war room was full of hard dicks because they knew one of them would fall to them. There is not a single fault in this pick other than my personal desire to see Mack go to a team running a 3-4 base. :)

36) Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
I’m seeing a lot of hate for this pick in other’s analysis. Shit how Raiders are in win now mode or Carr wasn’t that good anyway, etc. Carr was expected to be gone in the first round so the value here is tremendous. He’s also the most natural passer in this draft and the most ready to start now. Now of course, he has a lot of growing to do don’t get me wrong but the Raiders don’t need him to start right away. Even if he doesn’t help them win immediately, Carr was too good of a prospect for them for the future to pass on.

81) Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
Another fantastic pick for the Raiders. Jackson can start from day one and this allows the Raiders to move some other guys around (Howard to RT primarily) and really improve and pretty much solidify Oakland’s offensive line. Schaub shouldn’t be feeling too much pressure and MJDMC should have plenty of holes to run through.

107) Justin Ellis, NT, Louisiana Tech
This could be a major steal in this draft. Ellis has tons of upside but has a lot of growing to do too. The Raiders needed to at least take a late round selection to help the interior of their defensive line and they not only didn’t reach early but they got an great prospect a little later.

116) Keith McGill, CB, Utah
OK, I’m the first to admit I over valued McGill to start with. I was set straight eventually (thanks Dan :D ) but to fall this far is just absurd. McGill might have flaws but he wasn’t horrible in college and he has the size that a lot of teams are striving for now so I have no clue how he fell but damn the Raiders are putting together one hell of a draft.

219) Travis Carrie, CB, Ohio
These last 3 guys I don’t have a lot to say about other than they’re all solid depth and late round grabs so the Raiders didn’t lose them as UDFAs which, as said a hundred times in here (and will be said a hundred more most likely) I’ll never fault a team for.

235) Shelby Harris, DE, Illinois State
These last 3 guys I don’t have a lot to say about other than they’re all solid depth and late round grabs so the Raiders didn’t lose them as UDFAs which, as said a hundred times in here (and will be said a hundred more most likely) I’ll never fault a team for.

247) Jonathan Dowling, S, Western Kentucky

UDFA) Mike Davis, WR, Texas
I’m floored that Mike Davis wasn’t drafted. I had a 4th/5th round grade on him and many others did as well. Raiders needed to add someone to their receiving corps in this draft and they didn’t even have to spend a pick to get a solid guy. Well done.

What can I say about this draft that the Raiders had? It was fan-fucking-tastic. They got my #1 player in the draft so that’s an automatic huge boost to their draft grade. They got solid value and talent at every pick and got some depth guys that they desperately needed. If not for the Vikings the Raiders would have likely had the best draft.

Overall grade - A+

San Diego Chargers
25) Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
Many thought Verrett would fall due to a shoulder injury but he didn’t and he shouldn’t have. End of the first is perfect range for Verrett and the Chargers not only filled a massive need but they did so with a great talent so a perfect pick overall.

50) Jeremiah Attaochu, DE/OLB, Georgia Tech
Chargers needed a pass rusher, tons of them were flying off the board and a once super deep pass rushing class became incredibly thin by the end of the second round simply because everyone was taking the talent. The Chargers lucked out and landed one of the better day 2 talents in Attaochu. He’s raw but he’s got all the natural talent in the world to be a stud. Solid pick.

89) Chris Watt, G, Notre Dame
This was quite the reach for the Chargers but they needed to get themselves help on the inside of their offensive line so it’s one of those can you fault them for filling one of their biggest needs with a 2 round too early reach? Yes, yes you can lol.

165) Ryan Carrethers, NT, Arkansas State
This is the right range for him but the Chargers needed a starter at NT, not a developmental project that will likely never crack the starting unit. Not so good of a selection here.

201) Marion Grice, RB, Arizona State
This is a good pick because Matthews is made of glass and Brown isn’t anything special. The Chargers needed to get themselves a more reliable back. Grice seemed to slip through the cracks some but I was able to see a lot of him have a little better coverage on ASU guys seeing as how they play less than 20 minutes from my house. Chargers fans, keep an eye out for this kid, you might be surprised by what you have here. :)

241) Tevin Reese, WR, Baylor
This is the point where I say late round pick, don’t want to lose as an UDFA, etc. Nope. Reese is a fourth round talent that they got in the seventh so a great job by the Chargers here. Reese is going to be a great compliment receiver to Allen with his elite speed.

UDFA) None to mention. I like Darby out of ASU but I know he’s not much more than a depth guy.

Overall the Chargers did well. They started out very strong and then fell off kind of hard in the middle there and picked it back up in the end. If you go off their first two picks they get an A. Middle two, they get an F. Last 2 they get a B. What’s that give them?

Overall grade – C+

May 16 2014 11:30pm
NFC North

Chicago Bears
14) Kyle Fuller, CB/S, Virginia Tech
I haven’t heard if the Bears’ are going to utilize Fuller as a FS or CB yet but either way this is a great selection. Fuller was always floating around the first round but then once we got to the draft it became clear teams were much higher on him than any of them were letting on. He’s a tremendous prospect and a good fit for the Bears. Jerbear I know you weren’t thrilled with this but trust me, you will be.

51) Ego Ferguson, DT, LSU
I don’t get why everyone is hating on this pick so much. Yes, it was a slight reach for knock a few points off for that but I mean it fills a need and it’s not like Ferguson was a 7th round prospect. He was an early third and this is mid second, oooooo shame on the Bears for a slight reach. Anyway, solid pick by the Bears even if it’s a small reach.

82) Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State
Shit, Bears may have just drafted back to back starting defensive tackles for themselves. Sutton had some weight issues last year which dropped his production but that’s under control and I see him returning to his former dominate form. If not for a down year last year Sutton could have easily sneaked into the first round so tremendous value here for the Bears.

117) Ka’Deem Carey, RB, Arizona
When the Bears’ made this selection, the first thing I heard on TV was “The last RB the Bears’ drafted was Matt Forte.” That’s confidence inspiring to me. Carey fell some so he fits this range but he has a lot of upside and in college he performed when he had talent around him and when he didn’t so now they have a great backup for Forte and potential successor.

131) Brock Vereen, S, Minnesota
Bears needed to address the secondary more than once and with Fuller already under their belt they moved up for Vereen. He was projected to go a bit earlier than this so he has some value. He’s a smart player with a high motor and he just feels like a Chicago Bear to me. Idk why but it feels like a good fit.

183) David Fales, QB, San Jose State
I was high on Fales initially but that faded quickly. He’s not bad but he doesn’t seem to have that special something. But the Bears’ needed a backup and Fales is capable of that. He can hold the fuck out of a clipboard. He holds a clipboard and makes girls wetter than watching Sexy Rexy throw the deep ball.

191) Pat O’Donnell, P, Miami
Punter/10 (Hey, first punter or kicker/10 of this analysis, woo!) For anyone who doesn’t know, I refuse to do more than Punter or Kicker/10 for them. I know the position is valuable but they can all be picked up as UDFA and there’s enough of them out there for each team to carry 3 of each and still have value available.

246) Charles Leno, OT/G, Boise State
This is a great late round selection for the Bears. Leno can play RT or G and actually does have some talent and potential. He’s a backup for now of course but versatile depth is always good.

UDFA) Christian Jones, LB, Florida State; Jordan Lynch, QB, Northern Illinois
I had Christian Jones going in the late second/early third so I don’t know what the fuck happened here. I saw nothing to warrant an UDFA out of him so bravo to the Bears on snatching him up. Lynch was probably their backup option to Fales so since he was there they said fuck it, bring him in too, let’s see if we still like Fales more. They may keep them both too, who knows.

Overall I like the Bears draft while many others did not. I think they got good value and talent at every pick and filled some needs. That punter pick is just killing my insides though. I already said I understand the value and at least it wasn’t a third rounder (I LOVE YOU HAKO! Lol <3 ) but still it’s just kinda blegh. But, it was just one pick and a later one at that so not much negative attached to it.

Overall grade – A-

Detroit Lions
10) Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
Uhhh what? Did they really just do this? I mean why? With all but 1 of the secondary guys on the board why go with Ebron? Why did they sign Pettigrew if they were just going to do this? I have to imagine this obviously was not their first choice but I mean really? This pick just creates so many questions. There’s no denying Ebron’s potential and what a dominate TE can do for a team but I just don’t know.

40) Kyle Van Noy, DE/OLB, BYU
Words cannot describe this selection. Just go here. Go now. http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70624166&f=204&o=0

76) Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
This is one of those easy picks. Swanson fits the range (even has a little value here), Lions needed a center, not any other incredibly outstanding options here and there weren’t a lot more top centers on the board so it was a no brainer.

133) Nevin Lawson, CB, Utah State
I think I said it during the draft so I’ll say it again here, idk who this kid is but a lot of the experts like this pick so I’ll let you read their thoughts over mind.

136) Larry Webster, DE, Bloomsburg
Van Noy is going to be more of a Von Miller type guy when the Lions are in their 4-3 (and obviously an edge rusher in their 3-4) so they needed a solid 4-3 DE in this draft. Unfortunately they reached a bit here for Webster. I like him but there were better prospects available at this pick and Webster by all accounts should have been available later.

158) Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton
Fairly is quickly wearing out his welcome in Detroit so it’s no surprise the Lions selected a DT. Plus Reid has a shit ton of value here so it’s a win through and through.

189) T.J. Jones, WR, Notre Dame
Sorry to do this to you twice Lions fans but I don’t know this kid and don’t want to say anything about him that could be wrong because it’d all just be made up or regurgitated “experts” opinions.

229) Nate Freese, K, Boston College
Kicker/10

UDFA) None to speak of.

The Lions had a couple of solid selections on day 2 but overall they didn’t exactly have a top notch draft. I’m really stumped by the Ebron pick and I think they could have possibly gone in a better route than that. Beckham Jr., Donald, Fuller, Pryor, HaHa, Dennard all would have been better and more logical selections. Hell, Donald would have been a fucking incredible pick now that I realize he was there. Get rid of Fairly, plug in Aaron Fucking Donald next to Ndamukong Suh, holy fucking shit I think I just shit my pants out of fear for all of the NFC North QB’s lives. But, hindsight is always a great thing. The Lions have a plan though for Ebron, I hope at least, so we’ll see how it goes. Other than that, good picks on day 2 and decent on day 3. Wasn’t horrible overall but wasn’t jaw dropping either.

Overall grade – B-

Green Bay Packers
21) HaHa Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama
The fucking Packers man, that’s all I have to say. Seriously though, I love watching them and usually the Steelers, Ravens and Patriots all usually just sit wherever they’re at in the draft and just allow bad teams to let good players fall. Fills a HUGE need for the Packers and he could have been drafted at 10 to Detroit and no one would have blinked an eye so tremendous value.

53) Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State
I think the Packers had bigger needs than a 4th string WR but Adams has nice value and tons of upside so it’s not a bad pick by any means, I just think with a corner like Jean-Baptiste or a pass rusher like Ealy coming off the board just a few picks later, they could have done better here but again, could have done better doesn’t mean this was a bad pick lol.

85) Khyri Thornton, DE/DT, Southern Miss
OK, I like it in the sense that it helps their defensive front but who is this again? No seriously, who? Through all of my draft shit I think I’ve heard his name maybe one or two times. I don’t know about this one.

98) Richard Rodgers, TE, California
I saw this on walterfootball and it made me chuckle so I’m stealing it. “A Rodgers out of California worked the first time, so why not try it again?” :lol: Anyway, Rodgers slipped some as we got closer to the draft but in the end, the Packers needed a tight end, the top 5 guys were gone so they had to reach a bit for the next guy on the list. Can’t majorly fault them for it but can’t be super pleased with it either.

121) Carl Bradford, ILB, Arizona State
Fantastic pick here by the Packers. Bradford is a great talent and although I felt him to be a better fit as a 4-3 OLB, he’ll be solid as an ILB in the Packers 3-4. He fell way too much for as much talent as he has and he should be a day 1 starter for the Packers. Great value and talent here.

161) Corey Linsley, C, Ohio State
I’m surprised the Packers waited so long to grab a center. This is a bit of a reach but I think they realized all the top centers were gone so they had to grab someone. Might have been a mini panic pick but it was only about a round, maybe round and a half reach.

176) Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
Now this WR pick makes a lot more sense than the Adams pick. The Packers are so fucking deep at WR now it’s just stupid. They had a need for right end? Fuck that shit, just run 4 WR’s every play. B) Anyway, Abbrederis has huge value here and while he doesn’t fill a need, good teams draft for value, not need.

197) Demetri Goodson, CB, Baylor
Just a solid pick. Fits the range, fills a need, need I say more?

236) Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley State
Another fucking receiver? He’s as athletic as any player in this draft and I’ll never fault a team for drafting a guy late who doesn’t make sense but they want to lock up so they don’t lose him as an UDFA but still, 3 receivers on a team that barely had a need for even 1?

UDFA) None of them are catching my eye

Overall the Packers had a very Green Bay Packers draft. Aside from the questionable pick of Thornton they really couldn’t have done much better. I don’t really like the fact that they took so many receivers when they already have Jordy, Cobb and Boykin but value is value and there’s nothing saying Cobb has long in Green Bay so it’s one of those things where you can’t fault them even though you want to lol.

Overall grade – A

Minnesota Vikings
9) Anthony Barr, DE/OLB, UCLA
I had Barr as my #1 player for quite some time. That changed the closer we got to the draft and he slipped towards the middle of the top 10 but he’s still an elite talent. The Vikings lost Jared Allen but Barr isn’t here to replace Allen as many are assuming. He’s going to be that 4-3 rush linebacker just like Denver uses Von and that’s the perfect fit for Barr. Vikings could not have asked for a better player to fall to them and they got an extra pick out of Cleveland.

32) Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
I’m still not 100% sold on Teddy being anything more than average but the Vikings could use average at the QB position right now. I don’t have a lot to say here. Don’t hate the pick by any means whatsoever, but not in love with it either. This is the epitome of an only time will tell pick.

72) Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State
Now here is Allen’s replacement lol. Crichton is going to play with his hand in the dirt and the combination of him and Anthony Barr just made the other NFC North QB’s shit their pants a lil bit. Not a full blown opening of the flood gates since they are still just rookies, but enough to make them want to go change.

96) Jerick McKinnon, RB, Georgia Southern
Many question this pick and hate on it but I think I see the vision. You have Teddy who is going to be your quarterback obviously. Adrian Peterson is your starting running back. You need a backup running back so why not take one with a little versatility. McKinnon played QB in college and while he’s no NFL QB, he’s capable. Think of the trick plays the Vikings could possibly play with McKinnon and AP in the back field. Teddy won’t be involved quite as much seeing as how he’s not as athletic as some other QBs but that’s ok. Maybe I’m way out of the park on this one and not even close to what the Vikings are thinking but that’s my thought.

145) David Yankey, G/OT, Stanford
Sooo how did this happen? Yankey at worst was a second round prospect but the Vikings getting him here is just fantastic for them. Yankey can very easily compete for the starting LG job right now and seeing as how they just invested in a first round QB, you’re going to want to do everything possible to keep him upright.

182) Antone Exum, CB/S, Virginia Tech
Vikings desperately needed to address their secondary and this late in the draft Exum has huge value and can honestly start from day one.

184) Kendall James, CB, Maine
Again, solid move by the Vikings snatching up another corner. James isn’t an instant starter but he’s going to be a very good depth guy and can eventually work his way into the rotation while playing special teams the entire time.

220) Shamar Stephen, DT, Connecticut
Stephen has a lot of upside and could have been gone much earlier than this so he has value here too. The Vikings didn’t really need a DT but the good teams draft for value, not need.

223) Brandon Watts, OLB, Georgia Tech
Late round, don’t want to lose him as an UDFA, etc.

225) Jabari Price, CB, North Carolina
Late round, don’t want to lose him as an UDFA, etc.

UDFA) A.C. Leonard, TE, Tennessee State; Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
Leonard is just a guy I’ve had my eye on throughout this entire draft process and while he never rose up draft boards as I expected, I still like him and what he can possibly contribute to the team but he has some off the field concerns and it’s not like he’s the most talented guy. Idk he just caught my eye for whatever reason. Antonito Richardson on the other hand, how the fuck did he go undrafted? I know some teams fell out of love with him but undrafted? Really? The guy has legitimate potential to be a starting left tackle, that doesn’t go undrafted. Although while his ceiling is in fact high, his floor is fucking way WAY down there too soooooo I guess it’s understandable haha.

Overall the Vikings did fucking fantastic for themselves. They won this draft. Before seeing any guys on the field I hands down give the Vikings the first place trophy, blue ribbon, pretty sash, tiara and flowers because they won. Every single pick they made had value, filled needs, worked together and seemed like followed a plan. Watching the draft unfold for them it seemed as if they said “OK this is what we’re going to do” before the draft started and then they went out there and did it. Very well done by the Vikings here and I hope these guys all work out well for them.

Overall grade – A++

May 16 2014 11:31pm
NFC East

Dallas Cowboys
16) Zack Martin, G/OT, Notre Dame
While Martin is a good player and will help the Cowboys line, there were tons of talented defensive players on the board, especially in the secondary, that could have been much bigger helps. But it’s one of those things where it’s not a bad pick so you can’t fault it, there were just better and more logical options available.

34) Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State
Somewhere I said Demarcus Lawrence is the perfect fit for the Cowboys because Jerry is saying “Hey, we lost DeMarcus Ware, let’s just get Demarcus Lawrence, no one will even know, I’m a genius!”. :rofl: Anyway, that aside, Lawrence should have gone much later than this and since the Cowboys traded up for him, I’m a bit disappointed in this selection.

119) Anthony Hitchens, LB, Iowa
Jerry Jones is starting to make Al Davis look like a drafting legend in his final few years.

146) Devin Street, WR, Pittsburgh
Solid pick up for the Cowboys here. They needed to replace Miles Austin and Street is a very capable receiver. I feel as if he was kind of underrated throughout the entire draft process. He’s taller and a bit thin but I like his potential a lot.

231) Ben Gardner, DE, Stanford
Jerry must have fallen asleep at this point because great pick here. Gardner easily could have gone much earlier than this so excellent value here and fills a glaring need. Gardner could easily start from day one and you don’t usually find that from pick #231.

238) Will Smith, OLB, Texas Tech
Ah shit, Jerry woke up. “I saw that boy fight aliens one time, then he knocked around some robits, his son is kind of a lil bitch but if he asks we can make him our waterboy and maybe get one of them strong retards like in that movie to say funny stuff and love his mama.”

248) Ahmad Dixon, SS, Baylor
Oh sweet baby jesus I think Jerry had a stroke and was unable to finish up the draft. Dixon was a third round talent so idk why he’s available here but hey, Dallas will take it. This is not only a huge value but fills a big need.

251) Ken Bishop, DT, Northern Illinois
They added Henry Melton but needed depth behind that so no surprise the Cowboys spent a late round pick on a DT and Bishop even has some solid value this late. Someone check on Jerry, he’s starting to smell a little.

254) Terrance Mitchell, CB, Oregon
Jeez, if the draft would only have the seventh round in it, the Cowboys would have won the draft without question. All joking aside, Mitchell could honestly be a day 1 starter for the Cowboys.

UDFA) None to speak of

Overall the Cowboys didn’t have the best of drafts. They made a solid selection in round 1, fell off the wagon there, and then killed it with 4 of their final 5 picks. You can take that for what it’s worth but the top picks are where you win it and well they kind of shit the bed some there.

Overall grade – C

New York Giants
12) Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU
I still fully believe if Lewan was there the Giants take him. But he wasn’t and Beckham Jr. is a solid second option. With Nicks gone, as stable as some (you know who you are :P ) may want to make the Giants receiving corps seem to be, it wasn’t. Beckham Jr. fixes any and all issues in that area though and helps to create a very formidable set of receivers now. Plus Beckham Jr. is an upgrade over Nicks anyway.

43) Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State
Richburg is the best center prospect in this draft and can play guard so the Giants can flip flop him and Walton as they please. Talent and versatility at an area of need, nothing more to say there.

74) Jay Bromley, DT, Syracuse
Jerry Jones must have snuck into the Giants’ war room and convinced them this was a good pick. He was questioned after the incident took place stating “I’m tired of this Eagles bull shit. I figured if I can’t help my team beat them I might get the Giants to do it for me. This is a great pick.”
(Idk, that sounded a lot more funny in my head, I’m just moving on.)

113) Andre Williams, RB, Boston College
Just what the Giants needed, a running back who can’t catch. That’s going to be a great change of pace. But, Williams is the best back on their team now so that’s something I suppose. And don’t get me wrong, Williams is a great back but he’s not the best receiver so they’re getting a better runner than anything they have now but aren’t upgrading as much as they could. Hopefully he develops a bit better though.

152) Nate Berhe, S, San Diego State
With Will Hill’s suspension the safety position needed to be addressed at some point and I don’t mind them waiting until this point but there was better talent on the board. They likely could have snagged Berhe as an UDFA so not too thrilled with this pick.

174) Devon Kennard, DE/OLB, USC
Position of need, guy who fits the range, I don’t know a whole lot about Kennard other than he wasn’t as good as Morgan Breslin and Breslin went undrafted sooo…..

188) Bennet Jackson, CB, Notre Dame
Their last pick, filling depth at a position they weren’t exactly super deep at so no ill feelings here. As for Jackson, he has some solid value here but he’s not going to contribute on the defense without injuries happening. But, he will be a great special teamer and depth guy.

UDFA) Xavier Grimble, TE, USC; Kelcy Quarles, DT, South Carolina
Both of these guys should have been drafted in the third or fourth rounds. Grimble has some growing to do as a player but he has tons of potential. All I have to say about Quarles is that he’s far and beyond more talented than the DT the Giants took in the third round but he does come with that off the field baggage.

Overall the Giants did OK. They made more questionable picks than solid ones. Of course, that’s just the opinion of one idiot online and only time will tell but as of right now, they didn’t exactly hit the mark in this draft. But, the picks they did get right are going to be immediate contributors so while some of the guys they picked are highly questionable the ones that they did get right they got very right.

Overall grade – B-

Philadelphia Eagles
26) Marcus Smith, DE/OLB, Louisville
There’s really not a lot more I can say except for what I said in my day 1 winners and losers (any reference to multiple teams is referring to the Cardinals, as they were in the same boat as Philly). “Picking early 20s, player they want isn't there, trade back, have to reach for a day 2 prospect. They both got stuck doing the exact same thing. It's a loss for both of them but not a huge one. First with the Eagles, they got Marcus Smith, a guy I was very high on for round 2. Smith does fit perfect for the Eagles' defense though and they got another third rounder for it so it's not the end of the world.”

42) Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
I’ll say what I said to Nerlens (I believe it was) when this pick was made. If the Eagles had gone Matthews in the first and Smith in the second, no one would have blinked an eye. Great news for this pick, kind of brings down the Smith pick a bit more though.

86) Josh Huff, WR, Oregon
Called this forever ago. Philadelphia Ducks! B) lol. Seriously though, while I like the pick and what Huff is going to do for the Eagles, they didn’t need to reach on him this hard. He had hardly no buzz going into the draft and likely would have been available much later so it’s a bit of a wasted pick, especially since they just got a receiver and have a few other needs.

101) Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida
Watkins is the exact corner Kelly was looking for and he has solid value here while filling a need so very nice selection by the Eagles.

141) Taylor Hart, DE/DT, Oregon
Philadelphia Ducks. Hart fell due to some injury concerns but he’s a very capable player. Not going to be that elite guy but he’s going to be reliable and can emerge as an eventual starter for the Eagles sooner than later imo.

162) Ed Reynolds, S, Stanford
Reynolds is a total boom or bust pick. Could be a complete steal at this point in the draft or could end up being a mediocre special teams guy. At this point in the draft and with it being a need, it’s well worth the risk.

224) Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin
This might be my favorite pick of the Eagles draft (in fact it is). Beau Allen is a total Wisconsin player. Blue collar, plays with a chip on his shoulder, some ferocity, high motor and works his ass off. I fucking love this kid and I think Philly will too.

UDFA) None to speak of.

Overall the Eagles had a good draft. Josh Huff was the only sketchy pick. Smith wasn’t the best choice but Matthews kind of canceled it out so do you overlook the Smith pick? No you don’t but it stings less knowing they got a first round talent in the end anyway. Everything else was solid up and down.

Overall grade – B

Washington Redskins
47) Trent Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford
As much as I LOVE Trent Murphy, I can’t love this pick. The Skins have a lot of needs and pass rusher is not one of them. Even if they can’t keep Orakpo (which this pick tells me they have no beliefs that they can) they still had more pressing needs than this so it’s a bad selection overall. They did trade down though so that keeps it from being a complete what the fuck pick.

66) Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
Even with his late fall Moses still could have easily gone in the first round so the Skins are getting great value here. They needed to upgrade their RT situation and they definitely did so.

78) Spencer Long, G, Nebraska
This was quite the reach. I think Jerry may have been running around to every team in the NFC East, sneaking in and making their picks for them. At least it fills a need for the Skins but I mean, David Yankey was still on the board, how do you pass on him for a sixth round prospect?

102) Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson
Can’t believe the Skins sat on the CB position for so long but damn did they make out like bandits here. Breeland could have easily gone in the second round (believe I mocked him to the Skins at their original round 2 draft spot a few times) so getting here is a great value and fills a need.

142) Ryan Grant, WR, Tulane
Why the fuck? Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Andre Roberts, Santana Moss, Aldrick Robinson and a few other names I’m spacing on, does that sound like a receiving corps that needs help? Tulane isn’t even a good value here so idk what the Redskins were thinking.

186) Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
RB wasn’t really a need but the value is great here. Seastrunk was once considered the top back in this class. That thought left quickly but he still had a lot of talent. Many believed he couldn’t catch simply becaus***lor didn’t ever ask him to but he didn’t seem to have any notable issues at the combine in the receiving drills. We’ll see how it all pans out but I like the selection.

228) Zach Hocker, K, Arkansas
Kicker/10

UDFA) Cody Hoffman, WR, BYU
Hoffman should have been drafted on his size along. He could be deadly in the redzone at 6-4, 223.

Overall the Skins had a bag of mixed emotions in this draft. Murphy the player is a great pick but the position confuses me. Moses, Breeland and Seastrunk were all great picks while Grant and Long were a little less than great. And then a kicker, even with your very last pick, is still blegh. With so few picks the Skins needed to hit on all of them to have a good draft, no room for error and while they did acquire another pick which is always good, they didn’t do a whole lot with the bit of wiggle room granted by that pick.

Overall grade – C+

May 16 2014 11:32pm
NFC South

Atlanta Falcons
6) Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
Was so much buzz about the Falcons trading up that when they didn’t (or weren’t able to) it felt like they were settling here but in no way shape or form is this a settle. Sure they probably would have loved to get Clowney or Mack but Matthews is a great talent at a position of need. I like Matthews more than Robinson when all is said and done at the tackle position in this draft. Plus dat bloodline. Matt Ryan got the biggest boner when this pick was made.

37) Ra’Shede Hageman, DE/DT, Minnesota
I don’t know where Hageman fits in Atlanta’s defense. They have so many DTs now they don’t need another one and idk how effective he’ll be as a DE in a 4-3 base. But if they do plan on playing him at DE in their base I like this pick more because even though it’s new to him, I like his potential there. Plus Hageman has solid value here. He could have gone in the teens and no one would have second guessed it.

68) Dez Southward, S, Wisconsin
This is a massive reach and as I believe I said live, I didn’t even look at this kid once prior to the draft taking place so I know next to nothing about him and heard no buzz around him prior to the draft taking place.

103) Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State
Was wondering when the Falcons were going to address the RB position especially with how the RBs fell. Freeman has good value here and some less talented backs were drafted before him and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Freeman beats out Steven Jackson for the starting job. If he doesn’t, Freeman may be a solid late round fantasy pick because if Jackson goes down, watch out for this kid to produce.

139) Prince Shembo, DE/OLB, Notre Dame
I like Shembo’s game overall the Falcons never once tried to hide their interest in him. They’re drafting him a little earlier than he should go but they clearly fell in love with him so I can’t blame them for getting the guy that they showed a lot of interest in.

147) Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue
Allen has some good value here and will provide solid depth. It looks like the Falcons starters are fairly locked in place at the corner position but depth was desperately needed so I like the selection here. Good player at a good time to fill a need.

168) Marquis Spruill, ILB, Syracuse
I honestly do not know who this guy is. I know he could have probably been picked up as an UDFA and it’s too early to be drafting those guys that you want to secure so idk what the Falcons are doing here.

252) Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut
Now here’s a great ILB pick Falcons. Smallwood was easily a third/fourth round guy so how he fell this far is just beyond me. Smallwood is also a better prospect than Spruill by a long shot so at least they got good talent and addressed depth at their LB position in the end.

255) Tyler Starr, DE/OLB, South Dakota
Late round, grabbing UDFA that you want to be sure to secure. Plus Starr was easily a draftable player so there’s value too.

UDFA) Jeff Mathews, QB, Cornell; James Stone, G/C, Tennessee
Mathews and Stone both were draftable prospects. Stone’s versatility to play anywhere on the inside of the line gives him very good value and Mathews is just a nice developmental guy who will likely be a career backup but that’s not a bad thing.

Overall the Falcons did better in my eye than most people think. Many question and critique the Hageman pick but if they are planning on using him how I believe they are than it’s a great pick, especially since he had real value at the top of the second. Outside of that, they got a legitimate NFL LT, their RB of the future, solid LB depth and helped their secondary. They definitely reached for Dez Southward in the third so that knocks their grade some but I’ve seen some silly shit like a “D” grade for the Falcons draft and that’s just abusrd.

Overall grade – B

Carolina Panthers
28) Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
Uggggh with all the tackles on the board and Marqise Lee still there they chose to go with Benjamin. I don’t like it. It creates probably the largest QB/WR combo in NFL history but I just don’t believe in Benjamin as much as I once did. I really really hope he works out and turns into a legitimate weapon because I like the Panthers a lot but I’m not going to hold my breath.

60) Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
What fucking value here on Ealy. The kid could have gone in the early teens and he lasts until pick 60? I mean come on how could they not pick him. Even before all this Greg Hardy off the field stuff, he was likely leaving next year as a FA anyway so this is a tremendous pick by the Panthers. I can’t fault them one bit for taking a huge value talent over a need like another WR or OT.

92) Trai Turner, G, LSU
This makes no sense. Turner is a good player but the Panthers must have another receiver and a LT. There were tackles and receivers on the board. Maybe they believe they have a guard who can kick out to tackle? I don’t know.

128) Tre Boston, FS/CB, North Carolina
I like this pick because the Panthers need corner and safety help and Boston gives them versatility to play both. He fits the range too so they aren’t wasting their pick.

148) Bene Benwikere, CB, San Jose State
The Panthers did not need to trade up here but putting that aside I like Benwikere. He’s not the best but he’s solid and reliable. He’s going to perform on special teams as well. I still don’t know why the Panthers haven’t at least tried to get another receiver or tackle but at least they are addressing their secondary too.

204) Tyler Gaffney, RB, Stanford
The Panthers once had a dominate RB corps and now it’s pretty mediocre. Gaffney fits this range and is another Stanford runningback who is solid at everything, but great at nothing. He’s actually a good fit for the Panthers, just reliable and will get the job done so I like this pick a lot for them.

UDFA) Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas; Marcus Lucas, WR, Missouri
Byndom was another player who could have easily been drafted so he has value as an UDFA and should probably make the team with the Panthers being so thin at corner. Lucas is just another WR and very likely could be the #2 guy from day 1 lol. I know I’m over exaggerating but their WR situation is still pretty damn bad.

The Panthers needed to do 3 things. Get a #1 receiver, a #2 receiver and a left tackle. Well, they got a #2 receiver in Benjamin. I’m a bit disappointed in this draft but Ealy and the help in the secondary help to keep this grade from being an F. Still, I don’t know how the Panthers are expecting to be as good as last year without an offense. Cam is good but he can’t do it all himself no matter how much he wants to think he can.

Overall grade – C-

New Orleans Saints
20) Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
I love this pick for 2 reasons. First the Saints are adding a huge and dynamic talent to their roster. If you really look at the Saints receiving corps, even before the loss of Moore, there wasn’t a lot of talent there. Colston is decent but he’s injury prone and honestly should probably only be a #2. Cooks may be small but he’s small in the way Steve Smith is small and can still produce as a #1 receiver. The second reason is that they traded with the Cardinals so we got to move back and get an additional third rounder. B)

58) Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
While this is quite the reach, Jean-Baptiste is just filled with potential and has a massive frame. The Saints needed to get a corner in this draft and I can’t blame them for reaching for Jean-Baptiste a bit. Plus how fucking awesome is the name Jean-Baptiste playing in New Orleans? :D

126) Khairi Fortt, ILB, California
Now this is a good pick. I felt as if Fortt was vastly underrated going into this draft. The Saints needed to bolster their LB corps and Fortt has good value here imo. He was projected here by most but if he had gone in the late second/early third I wouldn’t have questioned it.

167) Vinnie Sunseri, S, Alabama
This is a pretty big reach for the Saints. Sunseri was a borderline draftable prospect and unless they saw something that everyone else missed, they definitely overdrafted here and missed out on some better talent.

169) Ronald Powell, DE/OLB, Florida
I didn’t think the Saints defensive front was quite as big of a concern as many did and I felt that the Saints could easily wait until the later rounds to address. The Saints seem to be thinking the same way. They got better than expected production out of their unit last year so adding a guy like Powell who isn’t a finished product yet is a nice decision because he can come in, play a limited role, contribute on special teams some and not be asked to revive the pass rush unit.

202) Tavon Rooks, OT, Kansas State
Late round, final pick, want a guy to be locked up and not lost as an UDFA.

UDFA) Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers; George Uko, DT, USC; Ty Zimmerman, FS, Kansas State
Coleman was a 4th round prospect in most eyes so snatching him as an UDFA has tremendous value. Uko and Zimmerman were both 5th/6th round guys so they have nice value here but I don’t know how Uko fits in the Saints D. Zimmerman is going to be a solid depth/special teams guy so always nice to get a guy who can probably make the team as an UDFA.

Overall I like what the Saints did here. They reached big time for Sunseri and a little bit for Jean-Baptiste so they’re going to lose a bit there but other than that, they got talent, addressed needs and improved their roster and that’s what the draft is all about.

Overall grade – B

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
7) Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
This has been beat into the ground so I’ll keep it short. Great pick for 3 reasons. 1, the Buccs needed a WR to pair with VJax. 2, Mike Evans has been compared to VJax, who better to learn from and continue to grow than VJax? 3, VJax is no spring chicken, he’ll likely be done and/or begin to decline here soon so it’s the perfect time to begin thinking about the eventual successor who’s going to be a great #2 for now.

38) Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
Another weapon to help bolster that offense. Whoever is at QB has to be quite pleased with the OL decisions the Buccs made in the offseason and the receiving options they’ve given him now in the draft.

69) Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia
Shit, the Buccs were on their way to an A+ draft grade and now this pick alone makes it impossible to even give them a B+. What are they thinking? Doug Martin, Bobby Rainey and Mike James, what the fuck do they expect to do with Charles Sims who they reached a round or 2 too early for anyway? I have no idea what the thought here was.

143) Kadeem Edwards, G, Tennessee State
The Buccs did have a need for a guard but Edwards is a massive reach here. The wheels are coming off quickly on this draft for Tampa Bay.

149) Kevin Pamphile, OT, Purdue
Decent depth pick but again, way too early. Pamphile himself has a lot of potential but he’s not worth this selection at all. That’s 3 flops in a row here.

185) Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming
Well they got back on track here with one hell of a pick. Herron was a third round talent so there is tremendous value here. He’s going make for a very deadly trio with VJax and Vjax2.0.

UDFA) Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming
I’ll just say this. I know they have Glennon still and McCown is likely the starter but don’t be surprised if you see Smith sneak his way into Lovie Smith’s heart and eventually win out that starting job. I can’t guarantee it and if he never does anything or even fails to make the team this year I wouldn’t be surprised but at the same time, if he sticks around, third string, makes it to second string and then is forced into the starting role, he might just surprise some people. We’ll see.

Overall the Buccaneers had an average draft. Their first two and final selections were all A+ material in my book. But those middle three picks deserve some Jerry Jones level criticism. I really don’t understand what happened there but it is what it is. They have a plan clearly so we’ll see how it pans out.

Overall grade – C+

May 16 2014 11:32pm
NFC West

Arizona Cardinals
27) Deone Bucannon, SS, Washington State
If you want a perfect break down of this, see either the Eagles’ first round selection here or my day 1 winners and losers down below. All I have to say is I like the pick the further I get away from the pick being made lol. It makes sense with how the NFC West is going, big physical, hard hitting, head hunter SS but damn did we reach like a mother fucker here.

52) Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
Initial thought this pissed me off but we’ve never once had a big play maker at TE (well not within the recent past). Niklas was the 3rd of the top 5 TEs (Ebron > ASJ > Niklas > Amaro > CJ) and since 3 of them were already off the board he holds decent value here and fills a need. He can block and be a weapon in the passing game. BA likens him to Heath Miller. If he can be a fraction of what Heath Miller has been then this will be a solid pick.

84) Kareem Martin, DE/DT, North Carolina
He’s listed as a DE/DT but I’ll be honest, I think Bowles may release this beast at OLB and let him wreak havoc off the edge some. But if that doesn’t work, an eventual replacement for Dockett was needed and Martin can be that guy. It does surprise me though because Martin is more like Campell than Dockett so idk how this will work out in the end.

91) John Brown, WR, Pitt State
Holy fucking reach Batman. He fits what BA wants in a speedy receiver and we needed that and he’ll prove to be valuable in the return game so now PP and Honey Badger can cut that shit out and stop risking injury and leave it up to Brown and Ginn. Shame it’s about 3 rounds too early for Brown.

120) Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech
I love this pick. I was ALL over Logan Thomas’ jock last year before he decided to stay in school. I’m still on the bandwagon. The wheels fell off some but the core pieces are still there. He doesn’t have to start right away, he can come in, learn from Carson, BA, Tom Moore and Freddie Kitchens and we might have ourselves a franchise QB for the first time in quite a while.

160) Ed Stinson, DE/DT, Alabama
This pick makes the Martin pick make more sense. Stinson is a Dockett replica so we bolstered the depth on both ends of our DLine. Stinson could have gone a bit earlier than this but overall this is the range for him.

196) Walter Powell, WR, Murray State
I don’t understand this pick. Powell is a more physical receiver than Brown but we didn’t need another receiver here with a lot of really good talent still on the board. Andre Hal – CB, Mike Campanaro – WR, Trevor Reilly – OLB, Michael Sam – OLB. All of these guys would have been better options and provided more value so idk what was up with this one.

UDFA) Anthony Steen, G, Alabama
Steen was another one of those completely draftable players who just didn’t get pick. He could have gone in the fifth round very easily so I like his value and the depth he provides us inside now.

First and foremost, yes I probably did spend more time and go a little more in depth on the Cardinald compared to other teams. Of course I did, it’s my fucking team lol. Anyway, overall, painful as it is to say, Cardinals could have done better. The Buccannon pick has grown on me a lot but there’s no doubting it was a reach. Brown and Powell were also a bit confusing to me. Brown not nearly as much as Powell but they are two different receivers that BA likes to have in his system and we weren’t exactly super deep at the position so I guess I can’t fault BA and Keim for it but still, not the best selections imo. Niklas, Martin, Thomas and Stinson were all solid though. They put together a lot of solid pieces around those questionable ones which makes this not such a huge blunder but doesn’t save it completely. If Thomas can work out the way many within the organization believe he can then this grade could easily be an A, but for now..

Overall grade – C+

San Francisco 49ers
30) Jimmie Ward, SS/Nickel, Northern Illinois
I had to put Nickel there because that’s what they’re planning on using him for so the pick isn’t as bad as it once was. When he was a safety it made no sense because they didn’t need one but now for nickel, it’s still a huge reach but it’s not as bad. I don’t understand why the Niners didn’t just trade up. They have a shit ton of picks and didn’t need them all so move up.

57) Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
This is what happens when you have too many picks, you waste them on dumb selections. Gore is still going strong and Lattimore would have easily been the #1 back last year had it not been for injuries. He’s nearing 100% so why draft Hyde? Insurance? Why waste a second round pick on insurance? It doesn’t make sense to me.

70) Marcus Martin, C, USC
When I saw Martin at the draft I laughed because why would he go to that just to sit until the third round? Well I was right on that but it makes no difference in the end because the Niners are getting a great player at a position of need. Nothing more is really needed.

77) Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
As most know, I had Borland as my #2 ILB behind Shazier and ahead of Mosley. He may be fairly one dimensional but he’s the kind of player I love and the perfect fit for the Niners. This is great insurance in case Bowman can’t go.

100) Brandon Thomas, OT/G, Clemson
Too many picks? Draft a good talent who’s injured, red shirt them for a year and get a great player next year. Sounds good to me.

106) Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina
I’m in the minority but I believe this to be the right range for Ellington. He’s super raw and has a lot of growing and learning to do. With the addition of Stevie Johnson though the Niners can afford to let him develop before he’s needed on the field for any significant role.

129) Dontae Johnson, CB/FS, N.C. State
Another solid pick for the Niners. They needed help and depth in the secondary and Johnson’s ability to play both corner and safety gives them a nice talent with versatility.

150) Aaron Lynch, DE/OLB, South Florida
Lynch’s character concerns and poor work ethic do not warrant this pick. He may have talent but he’s been given multiple chances to prove he can live up to and take full advantage of that talent and he hasn’t. It’s OK for the Niners here though because they have so many damn picks but just because they have the luxury of taking a risk without much worry doesn’t mean it’s a good decision.

170) Keith Reaser, CB, Florida Atlantic
Don’t know him. This is the first time I’ve read his name.

180) Kennth Acker, CB, SMU
Seriously, fuck all of these Niners’ picks, I’m ready to move onto the Seahawks. This is a reach for a lesser talent than what was on the board but they needed depth.

243) Kaleb Ramsey, DE/DT, Boston College
Last rounds, don’t want to lose as an UDFA, etc etc.

245) Trey Millard, FB, Oklahoma
Injured, draft and stashed, good value, 4th round talent.

UDFA) Morgan Breslin, DE/OLB, USC; Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford
Seriously fuck the Niners right here lol. These are two THIRD FUCKING ROUND guys who went undrafted some how and they scoop them up. Good for the Niners though. I was really surprised that their possible answer for losing Aldon was Aaron Lynch. Breslin is flat out better than Lynch. Skov is also better all around player than Borland so hey, these two UDFA signings could possibly be 2 day 1 starters lol.

Overall grade – A-

Seattle Seahawks
45) Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
Whether Seahawk fans want to admit it or not, they DESPERATELY needed receiving help even before Tate went to Detroit so this is a great pick. Think about it this way, they won the Superbowl without a true #1 receiver. They have one now…

64) Justin Britt, OT, Missouri
Words cannot describe how much of a what the fuck pick this is. I mean what the fuck? Britt was likely going to be an UDFA and they took him in the second round? Very unlike the Seahawks has of late.

108) Cassius Marsh, DE, UCLA
Marsh is a huge talent at a position the Seahawks were growing quite thin at. He has tremendous value here too so great addition. Character concerns allowed him to slip some but up in Seattle he should stay in line.

123) Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama
More WR depth. Norwood is solid and will be a reliable 3rd/4th option.

132) Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB, Boston College
KPL (idc if that’s his nickname, it’s way easier than typing out his name) is more of an athlete than a football player but the Seahawks have worked miracles with those kind of guys in the past so you don’t really question it now. This is the proper range for him as well.

172) Jimmy Staten, DT, Middle Tennessee State
Staten was receiving a bit of buzz prior to the draft taking place. He quickly started to rise up draft boards. This was the highest I heard anyone talking about him but he is a promising prospect and will prove to be solid depth for the Seahawks.

199) Garrett Scott, OT, Marshall
Let’s point something out real quick. In almost any mock that went deep enough, Scott was selected before Britt (the Seahawks pick at #64) in nearly all of them. Now mocks are just that, mocks and don’t mean anything but it just sheds a little more light on it. The Seahawks needed OL depth though so they’re just doing their thing and addressing needs.

208) Eric Pinkins, S, San Diego State
Late rounds, drafting a guy you want plus with Chancellor’s injury a little insurance is nice.

227) Kiero Small, FB, Arkansas
Hey look, the Seahawks drafted a FB and then a few picks later the Niners drafted a FB, funny how that works sometimes.

UDFA) Dion Bailey, SS, USC; Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas
Bailey is a second/third round prospect who I still have found no reason for him going undrafted. He’s a bit of a tweener body type but not to the extent that he should have gone undrafted. Idk, I said Pinkins was insurance for Chancellor, psh fuck that, cut Pinkins, Bailey can just replace Chancellor if they want. Jeffcoat is here for draino because he’d bust a vein in his head if I didn’t mention him. <3

Overall the Seahawks had a great draft. That second pick though is killing them. I read on Walter’s review, can one pick really kill an entire draft class? I don’t think it can kill but it can drastically hurt it. If that pick was taken out, this is an A+ draft. If that pick was just a meh, average selection this is an A+ draft. But with what it is…

Overall grade – B

St. Louis Rams
2) Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
Many are disliking this pick and I can’t figure out why. Long has regressed in a massive way and the Rams should honestly just cut their losses there and move on. It shocked some because Fisher does not draft OL early but a talent like Robinson was hard for him to pass up. Keeping Bradford upright is priority #1 so this is a great selection.

13) Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
We’ve all talked about it enough. St. Louis’ defensive line is absolutely fucking stacked with just absolutely incredible talent at every position. I don’t think it’s really a question that they have the best defensive line in football. A few teams can have an argument made for them but my money goes on the Rams every time now.

41) Lamarcus Joyner, CB/FS, Florida State
Joyner has nice value here seeing as how he could have been selected any time after pick #20. The Rams needed help at both safety and corner and they’ll likely use Joyner at corner but his versatility helps a lot.

75) Tre Mason, RB, Auburn
This pick doesn’t make any sense. While this is the proper range for Mason, the Rams didn’t need a RB. They had plenty of young, talent/potential filled guys. Yeah they released Richardson today but still, Mason doesn’t have any more or less potential than Richardson and hasn’t proven anything so I don’t know. They could have addressed the WR position here with a guy like Donte Moncrief who would have been a steal here.

110) Mo Alexander, S, Utah State
This is one of the bigger reaches in this draft. No clue who this kid is and there were better, more proven safety prospects available.

188) E.J. Gaines, CB, Missouri
I had a boner for Gaines from the first time I saw him (watching a Kony Ealy highlight actually lol). This is a fantastic selection by the Rams because as stated at the Joyner pick, they needed help and depth in the secondary.

214) Garrett Gilbert, QB, SMU
The Rams are backing Bradford still but everyone expected them to draft a project and potential successor to him. Gilbert is just a bag of mixed reviews. Seems you either love him or hate him and seems mostly everyone in Texas hates him while everyone else loves what he may be able to turn into. All the Rams need is a backup and a project so this is a solid pick here.

226) Mitchell Van Dyk, OL, Portland State
As said many times, late round won’t criticize a team for reaching for an UDFA guy but uhhh who?

241) C.B. Bryant, S, Ohio State
DION BAILEY AND CRAIG LOSTER WERE STILL AVAILABLE! GAH!

249) Michael Sam, DE/OLB, Missouri
He’s gay, made out with a little white twink and smushed cupcake in his face. It was cute. Oh wait, he plays football too? Shit I had no idea.

250) Demetrius Rhaney, C, Tennessee State
Late round, OL depth always needed, yeah.

UDFA) Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
I know there were concerns but Purifoy and Roberson should not have gone undrafted. There’s too much talent there. He should make the roster.

Overall the Rams did well for themselves. Mason and Alexander are the only picks I can really question because they were made in the earlier rounds but my god that Braynt pick is annoying when there was such better safety talent available. We all know the Michael Sam stuff and how their defensive line is now even more beastly with Donald. Robinson will help sure up the edges, whichever side he plays on, and even with the Bryant pick, they still helped out their secondary quite a bit. I feel like I’m forgetting something…oh, WHO THE FUCK IS BRADFORD GOING TO THROW TO? Givens and Pettis are still their 1 and 2 with Tavon in the slot. What in the actual fuck were the Rams thinking? They had an A draft imo but their absolute failure to address the receiver position is just impossible to overlook, no matter what they did.

Overall grade – C+

May 16 2014 11:34pm
Here's all the links to past stuff. Go ahead and post now, have at me. :)

2014 Post-Combine Mocks:

2014 v1.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70276439&f=204
2014 v2.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70330426&f=204
2014 v3.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70377396&f=204
2014 v4.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70419210&f=204
2014 v5.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70454553&f=204
2014 v6.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70552751&f=204
2014 v7.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70650248&f=204

2014 Pre-Combine Mocks:

2014 v1.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=68890136&f=204
2014 v2.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=68924563&f=204
2014 v3.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=68967249&f=204
2014 v4.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69010879&f=204
2014 v5.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69056177&f=204
2014 v6.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69101987&f=204
2014 v7.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69165845&f=204
2014 v8.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69235121&f=204
2014 v9.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69285391&f=204
2014 v10.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69468393&f=204
2014 v11.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69541086&f=204
2014 v12.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69649564&f=204
2014 v13.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69715922&f=204
2014 v14.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69804282&f=204
2014 v15.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69884204&f=204
2014 v16.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70065320&f=204
2014 v17.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70114829&f=204
2014 v18.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70223516&f=204

2013/14 Draft: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70680620&f=204

2014 Do Not Draft: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70708123&f=204

2014 Reverse Mock: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70171605&f=204

2014 Lottery Mock: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70631649&f=204

2014 Perfect Matches: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70358172&f=204

2014 Team Needs: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70154753&f=204

2014 Sleepers: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70595706&f=204

2014 Predictions: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70603604&f=204

2014 Mid-Season Big Board: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69198359&f=204
2014 End of Season Pre-Combine Big Board: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70120112&f=204
2014 Post Combine Big Board: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70316056&f=204
2014 Final Big Board: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=70519763&f=204

2014 Position Rankings Pre-Combine:

QB: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69847793&f=204
HB: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69861320&f=204
FB: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69913671&f=204
WR: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69871600&f=204
TE: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69931929&f=204
OT: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69949549&f=204
OG: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69967274&f=204
C: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69891036&f=204

4-3 DE: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=69974520&f=204