d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > My 2012 Nfl Draft Analysis > Draft Grades Included
12312Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.27
May 7 2012 04:30pm
Here is my analysis for each team's picks in the 2012 NFL Draft. The draft grades are on a basic scale, you can figure it out. Feel free to ask any questions/make any comments and I'll try to address them all. :)

NFC West

Arizona Cardinals
Michael Floyd, WR – Gives Fitz a ton of help and, even though Whizy will say he has to earn the spot over Roberts, Doucet, etc, Floyd will be the #2 in week 1.
Jamell Fleming, CB – I don’t know too much about him but all the “experts” see to be in love with him so I’ll just be happy with it.
Bobby Massie, OT – Holy shit. How did this happen? There were some health concerns but that was the only thing I could find that would justify Massie falling. He was a second round pick projected to possibly go late in the first. The Cardinals creamed their pants when this pick happened.
Senio Kelemete, OT – I’m personally not too high on Kelemete but he does have plenty of experience and could step in for us early and be effective. I felt as if he took plays off occasionally though. I hope I’m wrong.
Justin Bethel, DB – I’ve seen him listed as a corner and a safety. Either way, I love it. This was a sleeper of mine. From a small school with huge talent. Could be a major steal down the road.
Ryan Lindley, QB – LOVE LOVE LOVE this pick. He’s a project for sure, but he’s got the physical tool needs for an NFL QB and can and will push Skelton for the starting job once Kolb is inevitably injured.
Nate Potter, OT – I had Potter going in the 4th, maybe slipping to the 5th. Getting him in the 7th is just ridiculous. He had a bad combine, but he is a physical freak.

Overall – Gotta give the Cardinals some props for this draft. Partially for players falling to them, but they also drafted smart, going for BPA at a position that wasn’t necessarily the highest need rather than reaching for a position of need as they oh so often did in the past.

Grade – A-

San Francisco 49ers
A.J. Jenkins, WR – To not be bias because it’s the Niners, I’ll turn to Walt. “This is bizarre. Did the 49ers know that Coby Fleener, Cordy Glenn and Stephen Hill were still on the board, or were they thrown off because the first round was going by so quickly? I don't get it. This is a huge reach. Here's where A.J. Jenkins ranked on the major big boards: 67, 76, 57, 73 and 70. Yeesh.” Meh…
LaMichael James, RB – Maybe they don’t like Hunter anymore? I mean, why would they draft his double? James and Hunter are very similar and with the acquisition of Brandon Jacobs, I don’t see why they even took a RB that wasn’t named Trent Richardson falling to them lol.
Joe Looney, OG – This was probably the only sensible pick for the Niners, and it’s a great one at that. They lost Snyder to the Cardinals and Looney can step in from day 1 and replace him. He has tons of experience and will do well for the Niners.
Darius Flemming, DE/OLB – Might as well continue the trend of mediocre picks now that we got the good one out of the way. Flemming is just an average player who will add depth.
Trenton Robinson, S – Goldson is a liability in coverage big time. Robinson is a steal this late and he can be an upgrade if he has some time to develop and not be rushed into the starting line.
Jason Slowey, C – Another bonehead pick. There were better center prospects on the board and the Niners just messed up here, plain and simple.
Cam Johnson, DE/OLB – Walter… “Talk about a steal - Cam Johnson was No. 50 on Mike Mayock's big board. It's unbelievable that he fell to the middle of the seventh round. His work ethic is a concern, but still, he should have gone much earlier than this.” If Harbaugh keeps his eye on Johnson and makes sure he stays on track, he can be a very good player for the Niners for a long time and upgrade an already great defense.

Overall – How does a team with really no pressing areas of concern, no real needs in the draft, have such a bad draft? I mean, they could have just gone BPA at every pick, regardless of position and been just fine. But instead, they reach for players, take players at areas of no concern and miss out on some great picks? I don’t get it. Johnson and Robinson were steals and great picks, but come on Niners, you just got to the mountain top, stop dangling that rope for us bottom feeders in the west to grab onto.

Grade – C

Seattle Seahawks
Bruce Irvin, DE/OLB – OK, I’m trying to think of some reasoning for this pick. I’m really trying to justify it and I simply cannot. Irvin is a speed rusher and that’s about it. He had off the field issues, a down year at West Virginia and a decent combine. Maybe the Seahawks know something that no one else on the planet Earth knows, but I doubt it and this is just a bad pick. My positive outlook on this though…..Irvin will do well. He won’t ever amount to be worthy of this pick, but he will do well. He will start and he will get numbers for the Seahawks, but he’ll never be more than an over drafted, well enough player.
Bobby Wagner, OLB – I like this pick a lot more than most. Wagner is better than Irvin though which makes it a painful pick.  Wagner can play all over the field. OLB, ILB and he can even put his hand in the dirt and play DE imo. He’ll be used as an OLB most likely and will probably out perform Irvin and make that pick even worse. I’m sorry Seahawk fans, but that pick of Irvin is going to be pushed back in your face for a while. :-/
Russel Wilson, QB – LOVE IT!! Best pick of the draft for the Seahawks. Wilson is a natural leader and a winner. I don’t give a flying fuck about his height, I think he can be successful in the NFL. Some may question this pick since the Seahawks just got Flynn, but if anyone should know about this situation, it’s me. Fuck QBs who have a few games of success on teams with high powered offenses that are winning and then get thrown into a starting job on a struggling team. No, fuck that right in the ear.
Robert Turbin, RB – I like Turbin. He’s a sleeper prospect who’s very strong and extremely fast for having the strength he does (or extremely strong for having the speed he does, however you want to look at it haha). I think he’ll be a nice starter for the Seahawks as soon as Lynch’s bum ass decides he doesn’t want to play anymore now that he’s paid.
Jaye Howard, DT – Fits the range for the pick, isn’t a stand out player, isn’t a scrub. Nice depth addition mainly who could develop into a starter.
Korey Toomer, ILB – See above for my reasoning for continuously going to Walter. “It's hardly a surprise that the Seahawks spent a second draft pick on a linebacker, but Korey Toomer is a reach in the middle of Round 5. But I don't think Bazuzu/Pete Carroll cares about reaches at this point.” More so than at this point, but all together lol.
Jeremy Lane, CB – Solid special teams player and depth for the corner position. He’s athletic and lengthy and could cause problems for receivers.
Winston Guy, S – Most have Guy as a solid depth and special teams player. I have him as a starter in this league. He had a very solid and consistent season last year and has all the tools to be a starting safety in the NFL. He’ll look nice next to Earl Thomas in a year or so (maybe even this year). At the very least, he will be the solid depth and special teams player.
J.R. Sweezy, DT – Another DT for depth. No real value here.
Greg Scruggs, DT – Fucking Christ another DT for depth with no real value here. Side note, fucking word capitalized Christ. The fuck is that shit?

Overall – Well, there are some obvious questionable picks. I feel like the Seahawks could have and should have just snagged Mike Wallace to give Flynn a real weapon, lose that first and they still could have gotten Wagner in the second, Wilson in the third, Irvin and Turbin in the 4th.

Grade – C-

St. Louis Rams
Michael Brockers, DT – I turn to Walter early in this analysis. “There's nothing like picking a raw prospect and screwing over your franchise quarterback in the span of an hour. I don't quite get why the Rams wouldn't help out Sam Bradford with David DeCastro or Riley Reiff, or perhaps jumping the Cardinals to obtain Michael Floyd, but maybe they have some sort of plan with their three second-rounders. The move down is what keeps this from being a D.” The “D” at the end is in reference to his draft grade of this pick which was a ‘C’. Not a good pick. Brockers is inexperienced and very raw. Has all the makings of a bust.
Brian Quick, WR – Another very raw pick. Let’s take a look at the receivers picked in the second round after Quick. Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffery, Ryan Broyles and Rueben Randle. All of these players (with the exception of Broyles who’s more of a complimentary receiver as I said in my Lions analysis) have the capability to be #1 receivers in this league from day one. Quick has the potential, but he has the potential to bust as well.
Janoris Jenkins, CB – Great pick. Jenkins has outstanding talent and will be able to make Fitz work a little harder when playing the Rams. The Rams will have to keep a close eye on him though, keep his ass out of trouble. Fisher shouldn’t have a problem doing that though.
Isaiah Pead, RB – Love this pick. I really liked what I saw from Pead. It may be a bit early for him but the Rams clearly liked what they saw (as I did) and wanted to make sure to get their guy, leaving Miller and James on the board to pick Pead.
Trumaine Johnson, DB – There is some value here but aside from that, the Rams get a versatile player (I don’t know if they’ll use him at safety or corner) who can develop into a very nice player for the Rams. For now, he’ll be a depth and special teamer.
Chris Givens, WR – The Rams needed receivers badly and they got them. This pick makes me like the pick of Quick a bit more. Quick is a big, physical receiver and Givens is a smaller, speedier guy. They will complement each other well.
Rokevious Watkins, OG – This is a bit of a reach for Watkins but I liked him as a player. He’s versatile, able to play inside and out and is a good run blocker which will help SJax and Pead immensely. He’s decent enough in pass blocking but I’m really shocked the Rams waited so long to get an offensive line piece. It seems like the Rams and Indy had the same plan. Get weapons for our franchise QB, fix a piece of the D, fuck oline for this year. Lol.
Greg Zuerlein, K – He’s a kicker, not much to say.
Aaron Brown, OLB – I don’t know much about either of the next two picks but Brown seems to have been a consensus UDFA. But, as Walter said, “there’s no such thing as a reach in Round 7.”
Daryl Richardson, RB – As I said above, I don’t know much here but this is just a depth pick if he even makes the team.

Overall – Rams had an OK draft. They could have gone in a few directions but as I alluded to, they kind of seemed to have the same game plan as the Colts for the most part. The pick of Brockers wasn’t a good choice imo. They should have jumped us to make sure they got Floyd once they lost out on Blackmon. I would have moved with Minny to get Kalil from them instead of even considering Blackmon though. This was a deep WR draft imo and they could have gotten the same WRs that they got, along with protection for Bradford before he turns into David Carr.

Grade – C

***Post is too damn long, rest is coming in the following posts.***
May 7 2012 04:31pm
NFC North

Chicago Bears
Shea McClellin, DE – Scary, scary pick. Whenever a player sky rockets up draft boards late, I’m always nervous. It’s not saying McClellin isn’t a good player, because he is, it’s just that he’s probably not first round material, at least, not 19 overall material. That being said, the Bears got what they needed. They needed another pass rusher and if McClellin is as good as he’s supposed to be, then damn this should be scary.
Alshon Jeffery, WR – Brandon Marshall was not enough and hot damn did the Bears get another quality weapon for Cutler. Alshon got a little fat, but if he can get to the 190-200 range (he’s been at 230-240 last reported I believe) then he’ll be just fine. He’d probably do fine anywhere below 220 though. Even if he stays heavy, he doesn’t need to be spectacular. BMarsh is there to do that and Alshon will just be able to reap the rewards of playing with him.
Brandon Hardin, S – IDKmyBFFJill? This pick is bleh. A major reach for a position of need, never a good move. But, it is what it is and hopefully he pans out. He’s got good size and speed and on a defense with the front 7 the Bears’ have, you don’t need the most elite secondary so an athletic guy like this should do fine. All in all, this reach will probably turn into a decent pick for the Bears.
Evan Rodriguez, TE – Rodriguez looked good during the field drills at the combine and without Martz, the Bears will actually use their TE. Cutler has to be excited about the new toys he’s getting this off season.
Isaiah Frey, CB – There’s a reason these two corners didn’t receive an invite to the combine. Frey has decent size and ball skills. He’ll be some nice depth and a special teams player if he makes the team.
Greg McCoy, CB – Like Frey, McCoy won’t be much more than depth and special teams. He’s a bit smaller but seems more talented than Frey. We’ll see how it pans out.

Overall – Average draft for the Bears. You can’t fault them for the first two picks, they’re just risky ones. But, they’re not boom or bust risky, but they’re close. I wasn’t too high on the Hardin pick originally but after some thought (and more in my analysis as you can probably see) I began to like it more. He’s athletic and has the potential to be good. All in all, not a bad draft, not a great draft, just an average draft.

Grade – B-

Detroit Lions
Riley Reiff, OT – Great value here with the pick of the Tyrannosaurus Reiff. For anyone who doesn’t get that joke, he has short arms lol. Anyway, he was projected top 10, maybe teens, he fell to 23 and the Lions snatched up the second best tackle in the draft. They needed OL help, they got it, what more is there to say?
Ryan Broyles, WR – Prior to injury, Broyles was a first round pick, with the potential to be the first receiver off the board. He is very consistent, has good speed and hands and will be an amazing compliment to Calvin. He can also give solid production on returns if the Lions choose to use him there as well.
Dwight Brentley, CB – Lions needed corner help and they get in in Brentley. He could have easily gone in the second so in the third he has value. He had a great combine, posting a blazing 40 time and did very well in the field drills. Don’t be surprised if you see Brentley out there starting in week one.
Ronnell Lewis, OLB – Seriously, how in the fuck did this happen? Lewis should have gone in the first or second round and the Lions get him in the fourth? 31 teams royally fucked up here. Lewis had a great combine and a great year and although it wasn’t a position of need for the Lions, they took the BPA by far and got great value here.
Tahir Whitehead, DE/OLB – Not a good pick. Plenty of better players were available at this pick. Whitehead would have probably gone undrafted, but the Lions saw something so we’ll see. Maybe special teams, more likely practice squad.
Chris Greenwood, CB – This is a project pick that can go either way. Proper range for him and will do well on special teams.
Jonte Green, CB – Meh lol. Just a pick here. Adds depth, probably won’t see any field time. Might make special teams.
Travis Lewis, OLB – Walter…. “Another Oklahoma linebacker. Another steal. Another A+. This new Lions regime knows how to draft. The only question is, why didn't they fire Matt Millen sooner?”

Overall – Great draft for the Lions. Addressed the need for an OL piece, got a great receiver to compliment Calvin, a great corner with value at the pick and a pass rusher with amazing value. Not much to complain about.

Grade – A

Green Bay Packers
Nick Perry, DE/OLB – All I’ve heard about Perry is that he won’t work well in a 3-4. Maybe the Packers didn’t hear that? Or maybe they figured they got one USC stud linebacker, might as well try for two? Either way, I personally was never too high on Perry. He seemed like he was very laxidasical at times and just kind of taking up space. But, when he was going, he was great. It was that whole all or nothing idea. Either way, Packers address a huge need and I think Perry will do just fine.
Jerel Worthy, DE/DT – Worthy could have come off the board much earlier than this so the Packers got good value. He will help solidify their front 7 and provide much needed help on defense and pass rushing.
Casey Hayward, CB – I guess the Packers realized they needed help on defense lol. I’ll turn to Walter because I like his analysis. “There weren't many cornerbacks who fit Green Bay's defense in this class. Casey Hayward was one of them. The Packers had to find a cornerback to bolster the secondary because Charles Woodson won't be around much longer. Green Bay moved up for him, jumping up from No. 90 to No. 62. All it cost them, however, was a fifth-round pick. I don't understand why Bill Belichick couldn't get more from Ted Thompson.” Basically, they bent the Pats over here and got a player who fits very well into their system.
Mike Daniels, DE/DT – Green Bay is drafting a lot of 4-3 players to fit into their 3-4 system. Maybe they saw Miller’s success in Denver’s 4-3 when he’s more suited for a 3-4 and thought, what the hell, it’ll work the other way too! I don’t know. Regardless, this is a reach and Daniels probably won’t do too much for the team.
Jerron McMillian, S – There was better safety prospects on the board at this pick. I guess the Packers see something I don’t. McMillian is a depth and special teams guy only. When will they just move CWood to safety?
Terrell Manning, LB – Very good pick here. Manning is a very talented prospect who could have come off the board earlier. I like his versatility and I think GB will too, playing him all over the field.
Andrew Datko, OT – Another very good late pick. Datko was a first or second round prospect before his injury so this late he has tremendous value. If he can get healthy and back to his former self, he’s a starter in the NFL without question.
B.J. Coleman, QB – Lost Flynn so needed to add someone. He has tremendous potential and the Packers could replicate what they did with Flynn here.

Overall – I give the Packers an above average draft, but not a great one. They drafted some guys who will be playing out of position but I think they can pull it off. They got some tremendous value late and honestly, I feel like the best player they drafted talent wise was Andrew Datko in the 7th.

Grade – B+

Minnesota Vikings
Matt Kalil, OT – Not a lot to analyze here. Best OL prospect in the draft, horrible current LT, fills a need, bpa, etc etc.
Harrison Smith, SS – This will be a huge upgrade in Minny’s secondary. Smith fits this range, fills a gigantic need and is a good player. There aren’t many notable safeties in this draft, so getting one of the few quality ones when you need one is a smart move.
Josh Robinson, CB – Robinson has good value here and fills another hole. Vikings are having themselves a draft up to this point. Their secondary is vastly improved already.
Jarius Wright, WR – No value here (meaning he fits the range) and it fills a need. Wright has good speed and had a good combine. The Vikings needed help at receiver so this is a good pick.
Rhett Ellison, FB/TE – A blocking fullback/tight end to replace Kleinsasser. A bit of a reach here but it’s acceptable. Still, they could have waited. This is the only questionable pick of the Vikings draft.
Greg Childs, WR – Childs is big and very fast. He has major value here and the Vikings grabbing both Arkansas receivers will allow them to have some instant chemistry, making the transition to the NFL and a little easier. Ponder has to be drooling over the receivers he’ll have now to go with Percy.
Robert Blanton, DB – Blanton fits the range and is very versatile. He will add depth and potentially even start for the Vikings.
Blair Walsh, K – Kicker/10.
Audie Cole, ILB – Cole has tremendous value here. He should have come off the board much sooner (I’m a little mad at my Cardinals for passing on him). The Vikings needed an ILB and they got a great one here who can step in and start right away.
Trevor Guyton, DE – What the fuck was going through the minds of the other 31 teams when they passed and passed and fucking passed on Guyton? The Vikings are getting ridiculous value here with an absolute steal. Guyton will give amazing depth to the DE position for the Vikings and can start soon if needed.

Overall – Outside of the Ellison pick (which is only questionable because they could have waited) the Vikings didn’t have a single bad pick. And, the Ellison pick wasn’t a bad one, just a small reach. They make up for that reach with 5 great picks to end the draft after 4 amazing ones to start. The Vikings basically got 10 players who can all start for their team.

Grade – A
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
May 7 2012 04:32pm
Cardinals fan gives Cards A and the rest of the division C's, couldn't be biased
May 7 2012 04:32pm
NFC East

Dallas Cowboys
Morris Claiborne, CB – There isn’t much to say here. Great move in trading up to grab the top corner in this draft and take care of a HUGE need.
Tyrone Crawford, DE – Crawford is a heavy DE who can take up some offensive linemen and give Ware more space to play in. I like this pick actually. Surprised they didn’t grab a fatty DT though so they could move Ratliff.
Kyle Wilber, OLB – This was the early end of where Wilber was projected, but it’s still not much of a reach. He’s big, fast and can be a force on the outside.
Matt Johnson, SS – Who? No really, who? I had to look him up. I obviously don’t know anything about him but from what I just saw in what I looked up, seems like he can be a solid special teams player and maybe even a starter, but that’s shooting for the moon there. Meh?
Danny Coale, WR - Had a good combine and really shined in the field drills. Will be a nice addition behind Miles and Dez.
James Hanna, TE – Guy is really fast for his size. I could see him dethroning Witten. At the very least, this gives the Cowboys the ability to run that NE 2 TE set.
Caleb McSurdy, ILB – Don’t know him, can’t say much. Special teams.

Overall – Could have been worse is all I can say. There’s some questionable picks, but they’re potential picks still. They can be good, they can be horrible. Claiborne alone makes this draft a success for the Boys.

Grade – B-

Philadelphia Eagles
Fletcher Cox, DT – Eagles wanted Cox, didn’t think they’d get him, moved up and got him. He is supposed to be the top pass rusher from this draft and at a position the Eagles felt like they needed to upgrade. Good pick.
Mychal Kendricks, ILB – Best pick of the draft for the Eagles imo. Too bad they traded for DeMeco Ryans. >.< It confuses me but I love Kendricks so much and he’s so talented, I can’t hate the pick lol. Kendricks is versatile though so maybe they’ll toss him on the strong side (best move imo and what they plan to do).
Vinny Curry, DE – Eagles got a steal here. Projected to go late first to mid second, Curry here has great value and while he doesn’t fill a need, he provides amazing depth and can replace one of Philly’s current DEs if needed.
Nick Foles, QB – Bleh. It’s bad enough he’s from UofA but the fact that he’s a check down machine and fucking sucks hurts too lol. He’s a turnover machine who makes poor decisions at times. But, this is the Eagles after all. They’ll probably get 3-4 amazing games out of Foles when Vick goes down and trade Foles to a dumb team for their top corner and a second round pick.
Brandon Boykin, CB – Another steal for the Eagles. Boykin has all the tools to be an NFL cornerback and with the loss of Samuel and DRC being a big ‘ol waste of fucking space, this is a great pick. He’ll look good across from Nnamdi.
Dennis Kelly, OT – I’ll just go with Walter here because this pick hurts my head. “This pick surprises me for two reasons. First, no major big board had Dennis Kelly ranked in the top 225. Second, I don't think he is a good fit for Philadelphia's blocking scheme.”
Marvin McNutt, WR – Love it. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! I fell in love with McNutt when I looked into him. He’s a big physical receiver who can jump and has good hands. On top of that, he ran much faster at the combine than anyone could have anticipated.
Brandon Washington, G/OT – Another fucking steal for the Eagles. Washington’s versatility will be his best value in the end with the Eagles thing offensive front (especially at tackle). He’ll be able to play on the right side at both spots or LG if needed and if not, he’ll be a prospect for the future when the time comes.
Bryce Bowen, RB – Boom or bust pick. Going to make the team and pressure LeSean or be one of the first guys cut.

Overall – Going to steal a bit of Walter’s review for the overall. “Philadelphia addressed every single position listed above (save for strong safety) and selected great value prospects with nearly every choice. Eagle fans should be very pleased with this class.” So, what did we learn? The eagles like Cox and Nutt.

Grade – A

New York Giants
David Wilson, RB – I think the Giants panicked at this pick a bit. They were shooting for Martin, didn’t get him so just stuck with a running back. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a good pick, I just think the Giants could have addressed a different position of need and grabbed a back in the second instead.
Rueben Randle, WR – He ran slower than expected at the combine and his jumping wasn’t exactly ideal for what people had in mind for him but aside from that, great pick here. Those two little ‘no nos’ are nothing really imo and Randle will be a great replacement for Manningham.
Jayron Hosley, CB – A steal this late. He’s fast, good ball skills, can be a threat in the return game.
Adrien Robinson, TE – I don’t know much about him but he was one of the most active prospects prior to the draft, visiting a lot of teams which means that he generated a lot of interest for a reason. He’s a blocking TE and will sit on the end of the line well and open up holes for Bradshaw and Wilson.
Brandon Mosley, OT – I loved Mosley. Big, strong, physical guy with good feet. Will be very nice once he has a little bit more time to develop.
Matt McCants, OT – He’s a project tackle. Needs to beef up strength wise some. Could be utilized as a guard potentially. He let Vinny Curry walk all over him but he has potential.
Markus Kuhn, DT – Just a project DT, probably won’t make the team.

Overall – Good draft for the Giants. Addressed some needs, took some potential and got a steal in Hosley. Hard to argue with that.

Grade – B+

Washington Redskins
Robert Griffin III, QB – There really isn’t much to grade here. They had to get RGIII, they moved up to get him and they got him. He’s a franchise quarterback that will allow the Skins to be competitive in the NFC East for years to come.
Josh LeRibeus, G – This is a huge reach and I don’t like it. There were plenty of other, more talented guards on the board at this pick. I know the Skins needed to provide their newly acquired QB with some protection but damn, they missed this one.
Kirk Cousins, QB – What the fuck? I understand some competition for RGIII but god damn lol. This should have been used on an OL piece, a receiver or a running back. Another bonehead pick by the Skins.
Keenan Robinson, ILB – They will need an ILB sometime soon and Robinson is a quality one. If he gets to sit behind Fletcher for a year or two until Fletchers calls it quits, Robinson should be fully capable of stepping in and taking his place without any trouble.
Adam Gettis, G – FINALLY! The Skins make a GOOD pick to HELP their shiny new quarterback lol. Gettis was underrated coming into this draft imo. He’s a good blocker and has good feet. He should start from day 1.
Alfred Morris, RB – Timmy is a free agent so they needed a running back but meh. They already have a stable of mediocre backs and they pretty much just added another one. Should have grabbed a WR here.
Tom Compton, OT – Another nice OL pick here. Compton has value here and should provide some quality protection for RGIII.
Richard Crawford, CB – At this point, I figured the Skins would just say fuck it as far as their secondary goes and give RGIII some weapons. But no, they spend their last two picks on a corner and safety that are not anything special.
Jordan Bernstine, S – As stated above, these last two picks are nothing special. Special teams maybe, but that’s about it.

Overall – Bleh draft for the Skins. I mean, you can’t call it a bad draft, they got a franchise quarterback afterall, but that’s about all they got. I like the Robinson pick and they got some late round OL talent but they made some pretty bad picks as well. They should have grabbed an earlier DB or a WR instead of Cousins and they could have put together a wonderful draft. Maybe they’re planning on grabbing an early WR next yea……oh wait, no first round pick next year. I really don’t understand the thought behind a fresh new QB with no wr or te even. :-/

Grade – C+
May 7 2012 04:33pm
NFC South

Atlanta Falcons
Peter Konz, C/G – Falcons got an absolute steal here. There is no way that Konz should have fallen this far. There were some health concerns that were blown way out of proportion and that’s it. Konz will start at guard for the Falcons this year and make a seamless transition to center whenever McClure retires.
Lamar Holmes, OT – This is a major reach. Holmes most likely would have gone undrafted if the Falcons didn’t take him. Maybe they know something no one else does, but it’s not likely. This is a case of shooting for need rather than talent and skill.
Bradie Ewing, FB – Ovie is coming off of an injury so it doesn’t surprise me that the Falcons wanted to grab themselves a nice, new, young full back. The only problem is they jumped a little earlier. They could have sat on this position and got an equal talent later.
Jonathan Massaquoi, DE – Nice pick here. Massaquoi has very nice value here and will give the Falcons a very nice and young pass rusher. He will create nice depth for now and eventually be Abraham’s successor.
Charles Mitchell, SS – Mitchell has good speed and decent ball skills. He’s much more of a run stopper than a coverage man. Kind of reminds me of a very poor man’s and very raw Adrian Wilson. He’s a project.
Travian Robertson, DT – Robertson had a disappointing season and a weak combine. This fits the range value wise for him and He will provide some much needed depth for the Falcons at DT. He has the potential to be a starter, but he needs some work. He’s another nice little late round project though.

Overall – Falcons had an OK draft. They addressed some needs, got some talent and some projects. They made a very risky pick with Holmes and could have waited to pick a FB until later on, giving them an earlier pick to address the OL again or other needs. But, all in all, you can’t knock on the draft they had.

Grade – B-

Carolina Panthers
Luke Kuechly, LB – Kuechly is the best defensive player in this draft and will be the best defensive player from this draft for years to come. In no time he will be a top linebacker in this league, regardless if the Panthers use him inside or out. This wasn’t a glaring need for the Panthers but they went BPA that could end up being a need with their current linebackers being a bit injury prone.
Amini Silatolu, G/OT – The Panthers needed OL help and they got it here. Silatolu is very versatile, being able to play nearly any spot on the OL and he’s good at it as well. He’ll be Cam’s favorite pick of this draft.
Frank Alexander, DE – I like this pick a lot. I liked what I saw from Alexander on tape. He won’t wow anybody with his play, but he’ll be solid. Panthers needed to improve their pass rush and this is a good start for now.
Joe Adams, WR – Adams has good speed and separation skills and is able to run routes with the best of them. He’s also very good at getting those YACs. He’ll be a nice weapon for Cam.
Josh Norman, CB – Norman was projected to go much earlier than this so this is a great steal for the Panthers. He has great coverage skills and will be a very nice and needed addition to this Carolina secondary.
Brad Norman, P – Punter/10.
D.J. Campbell, S – Depth, fits the range of the pick, no such thing as a reach or bad pick in round 7.

Overall – Good draft. They bolstered their defense, gave Cam a deep threat to play with and addressed a need at the offensive line. Not many negative nor positive things to say, just an overall solid, but not spectacular draft. Don’t get me wrong, the Panthers picked some great players (Kuechly) but because it wasn’t a glaring need, the pick will go overlooked as them just going BPA.

Grade – B

New Orleans Saints
Akiem Hicks, NT – Hicks is a project pick. The Saints didn’t have any picks until the third round so they knew they weren’t getting any immediate starters. This is a bit early for Hicks though but he has tremendous upside and could turn into a very solid player with a little help.
Nick Toon, WR – I’ve had a boner for Toon since I first started looking into players. Toon has good size and speed and at times, he looked like a #1 receiver. For the Saints, he’ll be another receiver since they use a million of them lol.
Corey White, S – Walter sums this one up best. “I don't give out F grades on Day 3. If I did, this would be an F. No major big board had Corey White in the top 500. I didn't think he would even be a priority UDFA.” Not a smart pick for the Saints. They could have easily brought him into camp as an UDFA.
Andrew Tiller, G – After losing Nicks the Saints needed to bolster the offensive guard depth. Tiller fills that depth need and that’s all he’ll do most likely.
Marcel Jones, OT – Like Tiller, Jones will be a nice depth piece. Never expected to get any real playing time but able to step in if needed and do a decent job.

Overall – The Saints could have done much better. Their only “good” pick that will see any real immediate play time is Toon and he’ll still be low on the depth chart. The rest of their picks are just depth and one project in Hicks. It’s hard to fault them though when they only had 5 picks, the first being in the third round.

Grade – C

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Mark Barron, SS – Got to turn to Walter here. “I like when teams trade down, but the Buccaneers could have just obtained Morris Claiborne at No. 5. Do they really think Mark Barron is that close to Claiborne? Most of the evaluators don't think so, as only one major big board had him above No. 8. Safety is not a value position, so unless you're getting the next Ed Reed, you don't draft one in the top 10.” I agree with what he said 100%.
Doug Martin, RB – Martin has good size, speed, strength, hands, ability to cut, fight of defenders, block and play a roll in the pass game. He’s a great back for the Buccs who already have the power runner in Blount. Martin pulls many comparisons to Ray Rice, the Buccs will be over the hill happy to get half of that out of Martin.
Lavonte David, OLB – David has tremendous value here and provides much needed help to the Buccs LB corps. He had a good combine and bulked up a bit, adding more value to his already rising stock. That said, the Buccs got a steal here.
Najee Goode, ILB – The Buccs needed more than one linebacker and they got another good one here. This may have been a bit of a reach here but I personally am quite high on Goode. He’s got good field skills and will be a nice addition to a depleted LB corps.
Keith Tandy, CB – The Buccs needed cornerback help like nobody’s business. They may have sat and waited on it a little long but Tandy has some value here and fills a need.
Michael Smith, RB – Michael Smith won’t be anything special. He might be able to be the third running back and may play a role on special teams.
Drake Dunsmore, FB – The Falcons could learn a lesson here. You can sit on a FB until later on and still get a quality one. Dunsmore is versatile and has decent speed for his size. He is able to play TE but the Buccs will use him at FB. His versatility though will give him value in the passing game.

Overall – All in all, the Buccs had a great draft. They may have made a bone head move by trading out of Claiborne to get Barron, but aside from that, they made all great picks that had value and talent for the pick they were taken at and addressed many needs.

Grade – A
May 7 2012 04:33pm
AFC West

Denver Broncos
Derek Wolfe, DT – I’d say the Broncos were reaching for a need rather than BPA here but this wasn’t even the best DT available so I don’t know what the fuck they were doing. The only upside here is that they at least did take a position of need and hopefully Wolfe will pan out and be a nice pick. But, the fact remains, he’s a one year wonder which is scary and has the potential to bust.
Brock Osweiler, QB – I don’t get it. I mean, I get it, but it doesn’t make sense haha. Why not give Peyton some weapons? Here are the next 5 receivers to come off the board after this pick. Randle, Posey, Graham, Sanu and Hilton. Randle, Sanu and Hilton all would be great receivers to go with Thomas in Denver’s passing game. But, they took Osweiler, to sit behind Peyton until he retires, without another Super Bowl…
Ronnie Hillman, RB – Walter… “You mean the Broncos took a player to help them win now? What a concept. Ronnie Hillman fills a need at running back behind Willis McGahee, but he's a reach; no major big board had him in the top 100.”
Omar Bolden, CB – Bolden fell because of his injury. But, all signs point to him coming back at 100%. I actually was able to watch him play a few games when I had that little lapse in judgment, thinking college football was good. Bolden will be a good corner in the NFL, top 15 even, and with the pleasure of sitting and learning from one of the greatest ever (Champ) he’ll be able to make major progression quickly.
Philip Blake, C – Blake has talent and fits the value range here. Broncos get a nice prospect that could EVENTUALLY take the starting spot. Key word there though, eventually. He’s not ready yet, and Peyton is…
Malik Jackson, DE – This is a depth pick that holds a little value. Jackson is a nice pickup at this point and will be able to rotate into the line if someone needs a breather and maybe even take a spot if an injury is to occur. As for now though, he’d a nice addition to the depth chart.
Danny Trevathan, OLB – He doesn’t really fit the scheme but he has good value here. Not much more to say than that.

Overall – I have to take a portion of Walter’s breakdown for this because my god he just says it so perfectly. “I really didn't like Denver's draft overall, however. John Elway spent nearly $100 million acquiring Manning. Manning is 36, so his window is almost closed. Elway had to acquire players who would help him win now. He didn't do that, opting to trade down twice. He even wasted a second-round selection on Brock Osweiler. How will Osweiler help Manning win a Super Bowl?

Manning has to feel betrayed. He went to Denver because Elway knew how to win a ring in the latter stages in his career. Well, the earliest the Broncos drafted a quarterback in Elway's final seasons was No. 91; much later than No. 57. Was Elway paying attention to Denver's draft plans back then?” I can’t say more than that really. It was a wasted draft by the Broncos for the most part if they plan on winning while Peyton is still around.

Grade – D+

Kansas City Chiefs
Dontari Poe, NT – So, I called this shit lol. This is a terrible pick. I turn to Walter once more. “I don't see how anyone can validate selecting Poe so highly. He was a Combine superstar, but so was Mike Mamula. There's no denying his potential, but he did nothing against crappy Conference USA opponents. It's not like Jason Pierre-Paul where the prospect in question didn't have much playing time, and thus was an unknown commodity; Poe was on the field a lot, but did nothing versus players who won't even cut it in the Arena League.”
Jeff Allen, G – This is a bit of a reach for Allen but he has very nice upside. The Chiefs view him as a guard prospect so the next pick of Stephenson makes a little more sense knowing that.
Donald Stephenson, OT – Stephenson fits this range. He has the potential to turn into a great left tackle which is always an important commodity to have in this league. He’s going to take a little time to develop though.
Devon Wylie, WR – Wylie is a decent slot receiver with good speed. This was probably a little early to be drafting him but he could fit in to the Chiefs offense well.
DeQuan Menzie, CB/S – Menzie provides great value this late and provides depth at both safety and corner. He is very versatile and will be a nice addition to this already growingly tough defense.
Cyrus Gray, RB – Have to go with Walter because it made me laugh. “The Chiefs signed Peyton Hillis, but there's always a chance he could retire to become a CIA agent. They needed a third running back, and Gray could have easily been chosen in Round 3 or 4.” :lol:
Jerome Long, DT – Who? I know there’s really no such thing as a reach this late but who the fuck is this? Lol. I can’t find him on any major big boards or ranked anywhere prior to the draft.
Junior Hemingway, WR – Hemingway provides nice value at this pick. While it’s not a major need, he will give some nice depth and be a little project for the Chiefs.

Overall – Outside of the Poe pick, the Chiefs had themselves a nice little draft. They didn’t really get anyone who is over the top talented, but they didn’t flop on any picks either. Poe is a boom or bust pick with much more potential to bust, but ignoring that, they had an average draft that helps them.

Grade – B-

Oakland Raiders
Tony Bergstrom, OT/G – Bergstrom is a versatile offensive linemen who can play inside and out and will be a great piece for the Raiders.
Miles Burris, DE/OLB – I love this pick. He Raiders lost some pass rushers in free agency so they needed to address the issue. Burris is one of my sleeper prospects. He’s physical and quick and has good field vision. He should be a good fit in Oakland’s defense.
Jack Crawford, DE – Another good pick by the Raiders. This is the right range for Crawford and I think he can turn into a decent player. The Raiders needed multiple pass rushers and they took care of that with these two picks.
Juron Criner, WR – Criner has very good value here and even though the Raiders don’t really need receivers, it’s tough to pass on value like this. Criner is a big receiver with good speed, runs good routes and has solid hands.
Christo Bulukidi, DT – Raiders add some depth here but I’ll be surprised if he makes the team.
Nathan Stupar, LB – Stupar would have been a priority UDFA but I like the Raiders taking him instead of risking another team getting him. He has the potential to be solid player, but he’s a little slow and lacks explosion. He’ll be a quality depth guy most likely.

Overall – The Raiders put together a solid draft imo. Bergstrom was a very nice first selection and addresses a need. Burris and Criner were two nice steals. Both of them can make immediate impacts. Criner will have to fight to be a starter but he can be a nice 3rd option. All in all, for what they had to work with, the Raiders did well.

Grade – C+

San Diego Chargers
Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB – Ingram has amazing value here and he fills a gigantic need for the Chargers. They desperately needed a pass rusher and they got potentially the best one in this draft. Ingram is big, fast, strong and all around a smart football player. He will be a major addition to the Chargers defense.
Kendall Reyes, DE/DT – Reyes is another steal for the Chargers. He has good value here and is a talented prospect. He doesn’t fill a need at the moment for the Chargers, but it’s usually better to take a better player at a position of lesser need than to reach for a shitty player just to fill a need.
Brandon Taylor, S – No real value here (again, meaning the player was projected to go around this pick) but a solid pick made by the Chargers. They needed another safety and Taylor has the potential to be a stud in this league.
Ladarius Green, TE – I love this pick. Green is tall, athletic and fast, he’s just a bit raw. Give him a little time to learn from one of the best tight ends to ever play the game and he can step in and take Gates’ place with little to no transition time.
Johnnie Troutman, G – This is a bit of a head scratcher. Troutman wasn’t projected to go earlier than the 7th if he was drafted at all. He probably won’t make the roster but if he manages to do so, that means he’s obviously better than the other guards on the Chargers roster meaning he’ll start.
David Molk, C – They don’t need a center but Molk has tremendous value here, plus, they can play him at guard for the time being. If that’s the case, then the Chargers probably made their best selection right here.
Edwin Baker, RB – Baker had a disappointing season this year but he provides good value this late. The Chargers have been trying to replace Darren Sproles, this may just do it.

Overall – Good draft for the Chargers. They addressed the majority of their needs and took some talent in the process. Only thing they weren’t able to do was fix that OL. They got Molk which I love and Troutman who probably won’t do anything, but that’s not enough. But, I understand, you can only address so many things with so many picks. All in all, one of the better all-around drafts.

Grade – A-
May 7 2012 04:34pm
AFC North

Baltimore Ravens
Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB – He weighed in heavier than expected but that’s no real concern. On tape he looked like an absolute monster and I can’t imagine him being anything other than that. He will fit in well for the Ravens.
Kelechi Osemele, OL – I’ve seen him listed as a G and a T. He seems more fit for a G and looks like he’ll play that for the Ravens. I really liked what I saw from Osemele and thought he may even go a little higher than this. He’s got very long arms and pretty decent feet. I feel like the Ravens got good value here.
Bernard Pierce, RB – I love this pick. Aside from some potential health issues, I liked Pierce more than Martin and Wilson who were regarded as the next 2 after Trent. Pierce is physical with the ability to cut and will serve as a great backup to Rice and help take a lot of the load off of Rice’s shoulders.
Gino Gradkowski, OG – I don’t see Gradkowski ever being an NFL center but he’s going into the perfect situation in Baltimore. Can learn from a vet, play OG if needed and learn how to be an NFL center or just offensive linemen in general.
Christian Thompson, FS – I didn’t know who this was prior to him being drafted. What I see is an athletic guy who is a project. Who better to teach him than Ed Reed?
Asa Jackson, CB – Good nickel or special teamer. Right range for him. He’s small and quick, nice pick.
Tommy Streeter, WR – Streeter is a very raw prospect. He’s big and fast and could turn into something special or he might not be fit to clean Ray Lewis’ cleats. Hopefully with a veteran like Q ahead of him, the Ravens can get the most out of Streeter.
Deangelo Tyson, DE/DT – Nothing special. A depth guy who can step in if an injury were to occur along the front line and his services were needed.

Overall – Good draft by the Ravens. The first 3 picks are all good picks who can step in and start today. After that, they seemed to just go for potential. Addressing needs with boom or bust picks. Good draft, but risky as well.

Grade – A

Cincinnati Bengals
Dre Kirkpatrick, CB – Off the field issues aside, Kirkpatrick is probably the second most NFL ready corner in this draft after Claiborne. He will need to be watched closely though which shouldn’t be anything new for Cincinnati’s staff.
Kevin Zeitler, OG – Zeitler is a good pick but they could of pulled a one two punch and taken DeCastro instead of moving down. Landing themselves a top lineman and preventing Pittsburgh from getting him. But, it is what it is and this was a good pick. Zeitler is ready to step in and start today imo.
Devon Still, DT – Still had a good combine with a quick 40 and a decent bench. If it weren’t for other DT’s being overhyped, Still may have been the second DT off the board. Good pick here.
Mohamed Sanu, WR – The Bengals needed a receiver across from Green and boy did they get one. After the prank call Sanu received on day 1, it’s only fitting the Bengals landed him in the end. He is going to compliment Green very well. We could be looking at the best young 1-2 punch at WR in the league.
Brandon Thompson, DT – Thompson at one point was going in the first round. After that, there was no way he was falling out of the second so getting him here the Bengals are getting tremendous value. They already addressed their need for a DT but this was a hard one to pass up and now they have 2 young and talented DTs to play with.
Orson Charles, TE – Charles weighted in a little heavy at the combine and that arrest didn’t help his case. But, this is a good pick by the Bengals. Pair him up with Gresham and the Bengals may have that formidable NE 2 TE that everyone seems to be chasing now.
Shaun Prater, CB – Prater was an intriguing player to me prior to the draft. He’s fast and decent in coverage but at times he looks elite. It’s kind of a hit or miss pick here with the miss being a solid special teams and depth guy at the worst lol.
Marvin Jones, WR – This draft was filled with a lot of talent falling. Jones should have gone in the second or third round so the Bengals got amazing value here. Jones has the speed, strength, hands and rout running ability you want in an NFL receiver. Add him to the mix of Green and Sanu and this WR corps is ridiculously talented and young too.
George Iloka, S – I’m not surprised that Iloka fell this far, but it’s still tremendous value at this late in the draft. The Bengals got a great player who will need some time to develop but has a very high ceiling. He also fits their scheme pretty well.
Dan Herron, RB – I turn to Sir Walter… “I'm shocked the Bengals waited this long to land a running back. They should have been able to come out of this draft with someone better than Dan Herron, who was No. 195 on the consensus board…” “It amazes me that Cincinnati didn't address the RB position until its final pick (Dan Herron). Do they really think that BenJarvus Green-Ellis can handle the load? Cedric Benson would be a better option.” I agree 100%. While I do like the pick of a RB, they waited too long and should have grabbed an earlier, more talented one. I hope BJGE works out for you guys. :-/ Then again, with that potential passing game now, fuck a run game lol.

Overall – Great draft for the Bengals. Addressed some needs, got some quality late round prospects and had an overall successful draft. They made a few decisions I don’t necessarily agree with but there’s a reason they’re making those decisions and I’m writing what I think about them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Grade – B+

Cleveland Browns
Trent Richardson, RB – What’s there to say? They got duped into trading up to #3, but they got their franchise running back. This will instantly upgrade their offense by a lot.
Brandon Weeden, QB – I’m still shaking my head over this pick. Let’s just allow Walter to do this one. “Brandon Weeden turns 29 soon. By the time his first contract is up, he'll be 33. As in, near the end of his career. This move reeks of panic; Cleveland really wanted Kendall Wright, and Mike Holmgren apparently did not know what to do once the Titans made the surprise selection.”
Mitchell Schwartz, OT – The Browns clearly wanted a receiver (with the want of Wright at the previous pick) and there are 3 good ones available at this pick. So they go with a tackle. But, at least it’s a good tackle. Schwartz has all the makings of an NFL right tackle and although many believe Glenn or Martin to have been better OL choices, I like this one.
John Hughes, DT – Does not fill a need, does not project as a good player, bad pick.
Travis Benjamin, WR – Another bone head pick. Benjamin was projected to be a 7th rounder or UDFA, so naturally the Browns draft him in round 4.
James-Michael Johnson, ILB – Finally, a smart pick for the Browns. Johnsons has good value here and he fills a need. He has good speed and strength and should prove as a solid player for the Browns.
Ryan Miller, G – The Browns needed to upgrade at guard and I believe they got one here. Miller is huge and this may be a bit of a reach for him, but he’ll be solid for the Browns and provide protection for TRich. It’s funny being more concerned over protection for the running back rather than the quarter back lol.
Emmanuel Acho, LB – Acho provides some value here. He is a versatile linebacker who will prove to be a very nice pick for the Browns in the end.
Billy Winn, DE/DT – Very nice steal here. Winn should have gone much earlier than this and he fills a major need for the Browns. They’re making some nice later round picks here to make up for some of the earlier flops.
Trevin Wade, CB – The Browns need a #2 corner and oh boy did they get one. Wade has tremendous value here and should have been selected much earlier. He should start for the Browns right away.
Brad Smelley, TE – Smelley has some value here. With Watson being a free agent after this season, this could be a nice secondary plan.

Overall – Eh… it’s hard to say here. They got TRich (although they got robbed to move up) and they finished very strong, but they had a rough set of picks there. Honestly, I don’t really know. I think it all comes together as an average draft.

Grade – C

Pittsburgh Steelers
David DeCastro, OG – This was a steal. I knew he may fall a bit after we passed on him since Dallas had moved up but damn, the Steelers got a Steel ( ). DeCastro will most likely be the best guard in the NFL for years to come and he fills a HUGE need for the Steelers. BPA by far along with a need filler, you can’t ask for more than that.
Mike Adams, OT – Another steal. The Steelers were obviously weak all along the offensive line for the most part and they got a first round prospect that fell to them. Adams is the third best tackle in this class (behind Kalil and Reiff) with good size. He hurt himself a bit with a low bench at the combine but I wouldn’t worry about it. The guy is a load to handle and will help to break Mendy out and give Ben all the time he needs.
Sean Spence, OLB – This pick was a little questionable. Spence is more of a 4-3 OLB so we’ll see how he does on the Steelers. I think they could toss him inside though and he’d do just fine. He’s a solid mid round pick.
Alameda Ta’amu, NT – Seriously, fuck the Steelers right in the ear lol. They had so many good players fall for them, there has to be some black magic afoot! Ta’amu is the best NT in this draft. Yes, he is better than Poe. Poe is overrated and although he may have a good career, Ta’amu is better until Poe proves otherwise. The Steelers needed a NT with Hampton getting up there in age and fuck me they got one here lol.
Chris Rainey, RB – Two words describe Rainey, small and fast. A great compliment to Mendy. This was another tremendous pick by the Steelers. Not only will Rainey help out of the backfield, but they can spread him out wide and use him in the return game too.
Toney Clemons, WR – Walter… “Toney Clemons was going to be a priority UDFA, but the Steelers could have made a better selection. It's Round 7 though, so it's not a big deal.”
David Paulson, TE – Paulson has field speed lol. He had a slow 40 on the combine but some guys just can’t run the 40. I know it’s a shitty excuse but watch the tape, he’s much faster on the field. Anyway, he’s a big redzone target that will help Ben. I see him making the team with ease.
Terence Frederick, DT – Right range for the pick, adds depth, not much more.
Kelvin Beachum, OG – Like the previous pick, proper ranger, adds depth, nothing to see here.

Overall – Best draft of the 2012 NFL Draft. The Steelers not only addressed MANY needs, but they did it with amazing players. They took advantage of stupid teams reaching and allowed these quality picks to fall right into their laps. The rich get richer.

Grade – A+
Gold: 6,313.21
May 7 2012 04:35pm
Told you you'd end up doing everybody. :P
May 7 2012 04:36pm
AFC East

Buffalo Bills
Stephon Gilmore, CB – It’s tough to say this is a bad pick, but it’s a risky one. The Bills definitely needed a corner and they got a good one, but Gilmore is a boom or bust pick. He could very well emerge as the top corner from this draft, but he could also end up one of the biggest busts of this draft. Only time will tell.
Cordy Glenn, OG/T – This was a great pick. The value of Glenn here is amazing. He is very versatile, able to play both guard positions and right tackle. The Bills reportedly want to play him at LT which might not work out well but Glenn most likely has the capability of doing it successfully.
T.J. Graham, WR – Graham is a round 5-6 prospect so this is a reach here. The Bills must have seen something they loved to take him this early. He looks like he’ll be a good compliment to Stevie Johnson but there were much better receivers on the board.
Nigel Bradham, OLB – Bradham has good value at this pick and fills a need. The Bills needed a third linebacker and Bradham has all the tools to be just that.
Ron Brooks, CB – The Bills said that if they hadn’t drafted Gilmore in the first, they would have taken Brooks in the second so in their minds, they got an amazing steal here. They definitely got a good pick here but if they took him in the second, it would have been a reach. Brooks has good speed and did well in the field drills. If Gilmore busts, this is a nice safety net for the Bills.
Zebrie Sanders, OT – Another steal for the Bills here. Sanders was expected to come off the board much earlier. He is ready to step in and start from day one and will do well for the Bills running and passing games.
Tank Carder, LB – I really like Carder. He would have been a first or second round pick if he hadn’t played injured this past season. He’s fast and strong and has great instincts. This solidifies the Bills LB corps.
Mark Asper, OG – Meh for this pick. Doesn’t fill a need, isn’t a quality pick, just a missed pick. But, this late in the draft, and after the rest of the draft the Bills have had, it’s excusable.
John Potter, K – Kicker/10

Overall – Bills had a great draft. They addressed many needs with quality players. They grabbed themselves quite a few steals along with giving themselves some project picks that could emerge as some top talent in the NFL (Gilmore).

Grade – A-

Miami Dolphins
Ryan Tannehill, QB – The Dolphins absolutely had to make this pick so I can’t fault them for me not liking it. Tannehill is a complete boom or bust pick. He has great potential but could easily be another qb in the Dolphins long line of mediocre QBs.
Jonathan Martin, OT – Martin has great value here and fills a need. This solidifies Miami’s already strong offensive line as one of the top in the league. While I personally do not like Martin, it’s hard to argue this pick as a bad one.
Olivier Vernon, DE – The Dolphins needed someone across from Cameron Wake so they reach a bit for a pass rusher here. Vernon is a bit of a reach here but he is a good athlete who did very well at the combine. He should pan out as a prominent pass rusher for the Phins.
Michael Egnew, TE – Egnew will most likely be the best pass catcher for the Phins this year. Teams tend to give a young qb a young weapon to throw to. The only issue here is that there were better TE and receivers on the board.
Lamar Miller, RB – Miller provides tremendous value here. He doesn’t fill a need for the Phins but with Bush beating out Thomas and both of them being more than capable of getting themselves injured, Miller should have a shot at the starting spot.
Josh Kaddu, DE/OLB – Kaddu has nice value here and will help an inept Dolphins’ pass rush. Kaddu isn’t a stud but he’s a decent pass rusher and will provide nice depth and even potentially start for the Phins.
B.J. Cunningham, WR – Well, at least they got a receiver I guess. They sure took their sweet ass time though. I figured this would be a priority for the Phins but I guess they had other plans. Cunningham has good speed and decent hands. He can provide as a valuable pick for the Phins.
Kheeston Randall, DE/DT – Randall provides very good value this late in the draft but he probably won’t be more than depth for the Phins. They lost some players along the DL this year and Randall is a nice project pick for the Phins who can add the depth they need now and potentially emerge as a starter.
Rishard Matthews, WR – While Matthews had a poor combine, he had a very big senior season. I feel that the Phins have actually made some decent selections at receiver even though they sat on the position for a little too long.

Overall – The Phins had themselves a nice little draft. I don’t like their first 2 picks but they were two necessary picks. Add that to the solid selections from there on out and the Phins did well for themselves. They addressed their needs and got some talent in the process. If Tannehill pans out, then the Phins should be set for some years to come. Hopefully they can add a top notch receiver next year and they should be good to go.

Grade – B+

New England Patriots
Chandler Jones, DE/OLB – Patriots had to move up to get Jones because the pass rushers were flying off the board. But, Jones climbed most big boards rather quickly which scares me some as usual with a player who all of a sudden starts to leap frog others. But, it seems like this is a safe pick. Belichick isn’t dumb, he knows what he’s doing and I trust him with this pick. Even if it was another team, I’d still say it was a solid pick, but because the Pats traded up, it causes more concern because they had to give up more for him.
Dont’a Hightower, ILB – Belichick loves versatile players and boy did he get one here. Hightower is a natural ILB but he can play outside and pit his hand in the dirt as well. He fits the range here and is just an all around good football player. He’s an instant upgrade to the Patriots defense and any position he’s slotted at.
Tavon Wilson, S – This is a reach. I liked Wilson as a late round safety prospect but third round? No way. But, then again, the Patriots desperately needed help in their secondary so maybe they saw something I didn’t, or they were just desperate.
Jake Bequette, DE – Some may say this is a reach but because the Patriots made the pick, I say it’s the right range. Bequette is another versatile player, able to play multiple positions which is perfect for the Patriots defense.
Nate Ebner, DB – Walter… “Nate Ebner was not ranked anywhere. Couldn't they have signed him on Sunday?” I hadn’t even heard his name before the pick was made. They should have grabbed Dennard here to ensure they got him and then selected a young OL prospect. /hindsight
Alfonzo Dennard, CB – God, bad teams just piss me off sometimes. So there’s a first round talent like Dennard who has a bad combine and falls to the second. Fine, no big deal passing on him early. Then he has some off the field issues so he drops to the third, maybe fourth. Understandable, it shows bad decision making and anger control issues. But to allow him to fall to the fucking 7th round, to the fucking Patriots, who need corner help and get first round talent in the 7th now? The fuck? Way to make the rich richer. Great pick by the Patriots, quite possibly the steal of the draft.
Jeremy Ebert, WR – Another player the Patriots could have snagged as an UDFA. Like with Ebner, the Patriots obviously loved these guys enough that they wanted to ensure they secured them and not risk another team snagging them as a UDFAs.

Overall – Overall the Patriots draft was a success. They got the much needed defensive pieces they needed and added 2 interesting prospects in Ebner and Ebert. Should be an interesting season for them on the defensive side because I see Jones, Hightower, Bequette and Dennard all starting. Wilson may even sneak his way into the starting line.

Grade – A-

New York Jets
Quinton Coples, DE/DT – Walter said it best. “Quinton Coples can be a stud, but there's more of a chance that he'll bust. He gave very little effort on the field - and this was when he was playing for free (save for the booster money). Can the Jets get the most out of him? They better hope so, because their other option, Melvin Ingram, would have given them 100 percent.” Not much else to say.
Stephen Hill, WR – The Jets needed a receiver and the got a good one. I’m really high on Hill. I have him as the #3 receiver from this draft. He’s big, fast, can jump and has good hands. Tebow is going to love throwing balls kind of in his direction and Sanchez will love throwing to Hill’s feet and the corners covering him.
Demario Davis, OLB – The Jets desperately needed a pass rushing LB so they take a bit of a chance on Davis. He’s a solid pick but not a spectacular one. There were better options on the board.
Josh Bush, S – A reach, but he can play both safety positions and that will prove as a very valuable thing for the Jets.
Terrance Ganaway, RB – There is a bit of value here but not too much. Ganaway is a bruiser who can play both RB and FB. He’ll prove valuable in the Jets ground and pound game.
Robert Griffin, OG – Maybe they thought it was the other Robert Griffin? I don’t know, but it addresses a need. No real value here, he’ll be depth and that’s about it.
Antonio Allen, S – There are so many late round steals in this draft, it’s ridiculous. Allen should have gone in the 3rd round, especially in this weak safety class, but he fell and the Jets get a steal. Allen had a great season and a decent combine and will be a much welcomed addition to the Jets.
Jordan White, WR – Solid selection in the 7th round. Probably won’t amount to more than a complimentary 3rd or 4th receiver, but still good value in the 7th.

Overall – Decent draft by the Jets. Coples is a scary pick that could end up being a major bust. Hill and Allen are both great picks and I expect them to start from day one. Everything else is just OK. Nothing spectacular, but nothing horrible either.

Grade – B
May 7 2012 04:36pm
AFC South

Houston Texans
Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB – He has great speed for his size and will replace Mario nicely and give Houston a very nice rotation of 3 pass rushers.
DeVier Posey, WR – Why? And by why I mean, seriously, why the fuck did the Texans make this pick? He only played in 3 games this past year because of his suspension and looked pretty bad at the senior bowl. He had a chance to redeem himself at the combine and didn’t. In the third round alone, Sanu and Hilton were taken after this pick. :-/
Brandon Brooks, OG – Brooks is a nice pick. He’s versatile and can play G or T if needed and is fast for his size. Good pickup.
Ben Jones, C/G – This didn’t really fill a need for the Texans. They don’t need a C and they just drafted Brooks to play guard so this was just a pure depth/potential pick. Jones does have good potential and the range fits the pick so it’s a good pick.
Keshawn Martin, WR – He’s got good explosion and great speed, should be a nice addition.
Jared Crick, DE/DT – Texans got amazing value here. Crick was supposed to go in the second or third round. His fall doesn’t scare me, just confuses me lol. Great pick for the Texans, not much more to say.
Randy Bullock, K – Rackers is gone, they could have waited until their last pick to get a kicker though.
Nick Mondek, OT – He wasn’t projected to get drafted, he fills a need but probably won’t do much.

Overall – Started strong with Mercilus, fell off hard with Posey, made 4 good picks to make up for it. All in all, good draft.

Grade – C+

Indianapolis Colts
Andrew Luck, QB – Do I really need to say anything?
Coby Fleener, TE – Luck loved Fleener at Stanford so he’ll love to bring his buddy to the Colts with him. This is going to be Luck’s safety net for years to come.
Dwayne Allen, TE – Take that New England. Indy fights NE’s TEs with a duo of their own. Allen is the second best TE in this draft so looking back at it, the Colts get the best QB, the best TE and the second best TE (all on paper of course). Not bad so far.
T.Y. Hilton, WR – Decent pick. I’d of liked to see a WR instead of Allen and then a TE later on but Hilton has value here. He’s small and fast and will be a nice target for Andrew Luck.
Josh Chapman, NT – Chapman has OK value at this pick but it’s hard to say much about him. He wasn’t able to work out at either the combine or Bama’s pro day because he’s recovering from surgery. Should be a good fit for a rebuilding team.
Vick Ballard, RB – Ballard had a disappointing combine but Indy needed a RB. Brown isn’t really that good so Ballard probably won’t have much trouble winning the starting spot. He reminds me of a very raw…..VERY RAW Ray Rice. No, I am not saying he’ll amount to half of what Rice is, but I see a few similarities.
LaVon Brazill, WR – Oh look, another weapon for Luck. Weird how you take a franchise QB and then give him weapons, right? Anyway, this is the right spot for Brazill and he’ll probably never emerge as more than a #3 receiver.
Justin Anderson, OT – He’s not supposed to be anything special but Indy at least had to attempt to put some work in on that OL. They addressed the QB and weapons for the QB, unless there’s some amazing leaps in talent this year, they’ll be able to grab some tope linemen next year in the draft.
Tim Fugger, DE/OLB – Walter… “I thought the Colts would find a pass-rusher sooner than this, but Tim Fugger is a nice selection in Round 7. He could have gone in the middle of Day 3. More importantly, his mom can be referred to as "Mother Fugger."”
Chandler Harnish, QB – Painter 2.0. Need I say more?

Overall – I’m indifferent here. It’s hard to say it wasn’t a good draft because they got their QB and gave him plenty of toys to play with. But, I wish they would have addressed the need for OL pieces or a better WR before that second TE. But, it was still a solid draft from top to bottom.

Grade – A-

Jacksonville Jaguars
Justin Blackmon, WR – HORRIBLE PICK!! What the fuck were they thinking moving up to grab the projected best wideout in this draft when it was a huge need of theirs? Seriously, the fuck are the Jaguars smoking?
Andre Branch, DE – I don’t think Branch was underrated, I just think he wasn’t given the credit he deserved because some of the other guys at the position were so good. Branch is right up there with the elite pass rushers from this draft and could end up being the best one from this draft. Plus it fills a need, always a plus.
Bryan Anger, P – I love what Walter said about this. “Wow. A punter in Round 3? I suppose a punter is useful because the Jaguars will be punting a lot, but under no circumstances should you ever select a punter before Round 5.” Yep lol. Anger may be the best punter in this draft but still, he’s a fucking punter lol.
Brandon Marshall, OLB – Never heard of him, he doesn’t seem like he can really play DE, not a need, no clue who he is, nothing else I can really say.
Mike Harris, CB – It’s too bad Anger wasn’t picked here and a corner in the third (Fleming, Bentley and Hosley were the corners taken after Jacksonville’s pick of Anger). Still, this is the right spot for Harris (range wise) and the Jags desperately need corner help. This won’t cut it though.
Jeris Penleton, DT – I turn to Walter once again. “Who the hell is Jeris Pendleton, and what the hell is Ashland? Sounds made up. Eric Matthews' Boris University was more convincing.”

Overall - Started off with 2 great picks, got a little haywire with that punter, 2 who the fuck are they picks and a late corner. Blackmon and Branch make this draft amazing. The rest make it pretty bad. Does it average out to an OK draft? You can decide. In my opinion, it’s a below average draft simply because of the punter pick. They could have grabbed a quality corner who could start for them at that pick and address another huge need. That would have made this an amazing draft.

Grade – C

Tennessee Titans
Kendall Wright, WR – Some see Wright as a #1 receiver but I just don’t see it. But, Wright doesn’t need to be that on the Titans because they have Britt. If Britt can get back to his old self, then Wright will be a great second receiver for Locker. They had to do something to give Locker some more weapons and they got one here.
Zach Brown, OLB – Zach Brown was a first round prospect until teams started to notice is poor work ethic and shitty attitude. The Titans are taking a risk here but if they’re able to make Brown get his shit together, then they’ll be getting a quality pick here.
Mike Martin, DT – Martin has good value here and he fills a huge need. Martin will be able to compete for the starting spot and should win it without much trouble at all.
Coty Sensabaugh, CB – This has been unanimously said to be a sleeper pick, so does that make him a sleeper still? Lol. Either way, Sensabaugh provides good value here and will allow the Titans to add some depth after losing Finnegan.
Taylor Thompson, TE/DE – Walter… “Will the Titans use Taylor Thompson at tight end or defensive end? They need help in both areas. Thompson has tremendous upside as a tight end, but he'd play second fiddle to the emerging Jared Cook. This is the right range for him though.”
Markelle Martin, S – The Titans had no depth at the safety position and Martin provides tremendous value this late. He was one of the few safeties from this class that can actually pan out as a starter so the fact that he fell this far is remarkable. The Titans got a steal here.
Scott Solomon, DE – Solomon provides some nice depth at the DE position for the Titans. That’s about all he does but with the final pick of your draft, if your able to get a quality depth guy, you did a good job.

Overall – The Titans had a nice draft. They added a weapon for Locker and they addressed the areas of concern on defense. They got an amazing steal in Martin late and some quality depth with Solomon. Thompson is an intriguing pick, able to play TE and DE. Regardless which position the Titans use him at, they should have a decent player on their hands.

Grade – B+

Thanks for reading. :)
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
12312Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll