d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > My 2012 Nfl Draft Analysis > Draft Grades Included
Prev123412Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.27
May 7 2012 04:37pm
Quote (Invizard @ May 7 2012 03:32pm)
Cardinals fan gives Cards A and the rest of the division C's, couldn't be biased

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2012stl.php - C+
http://walterfootball.com/offseason2012sf.php - C+
http://walterfootball.com/offseason2012sea.php - D
http://walterfootball.com/offseason2012arz.php - A-

Quote (Crashnburn_819 @ May 7 2012 03:35pm)
Told you you'd end up doing everybody. :P

Yeah yeah yeah, I know. :P
Gold: 0.00
May 7 2012 04:38pm
Quote (Randolph @ May 7 2012 04:36pm)
AFC South

Houston Texans
Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB – He has great speed for his size and will replace Mario nicely and give Houston a very nice rotation of 3 pass rushers.
DeVier Posey, WR – Why? And by why I mean, seriously, why the fuck did the Texans make this pick? He only played in 3 games this past year because of his suspension and looked pretty bad at the senior bowl. He had a chance to redeem himself at the combine and didn’t. In the third round alone, Sanu and Hilton were taken after this pick. :-/
Brandon Brooks, OG – Brooks is a nice pick. He’s versatile and can play G or T if needed and is fast for his size. Good pickup.
Ben Jones, C/G – This didn’t really fill a need for the Texans. They don’t need a C and they just drafted Brooks to play guard so this was just a pure depth/potential pick. Jones does have good potential and the range fits the pick so it’s a good pick.
Keshawn Martin, WR – He’s got good explosion and great speed, should be a nice addition.
Jared Crick, DE/DT – Texans got amazing value here. Crick was supposed to go in the second or third round. His fall doesn’t scare me, just confuses me lol. Great pick for the Texans, not much more to say.
Randy Bullock, K – Rackers is gone, they could have waited until their last pick to get a kicker though.
Nick Mondek, OT – He wasn’t projected to get drafted, he fills a need but probably won’t do much.

Overall – Started strong with Mercilus, fell off hard with Posey, made 4 good picks to make up for it. All in all, good draft.

Grade – C+

Indianapolis Colts
Andrew Luck, QB – Do I really need to say anything?
Coby Fleener, TE – Luck loved Fleener at Stanford so he’ll love to bring his buddy to the Colts with him. This is going to be Luck’s safety net for years to come.
Dwayne Allen, TE – Take that New England. Indy fights NE’s TEs with a duo of their own. Allen is the second best TE in this draft so looking back at it, the Colts get the best QB, the best TE and the second best TE (all on paper of course). Not bad so far.
T.Y. Hilton, WR – Decent pick. I’d of liked to see a WR instead of Allen and then a TE later on but Hilton has value here. He’s small and fast and will be a nice target for Andrew Luck.
Josh Chapman, NT – Chapman has OK value at this pick but it’s hard to say much about him. He wasn’t able to work out at either the combine or Bama’s pro day because he’s recovering from surgery. Should be a good fit for a rebuilding team.
Vick Ballard, RB – Ballard had a disappointing combine but Indy needed a RB. Brown isn’t really that good so Ballard probably won’t have much trouble winning the starting spot. He reminds me of a very raw…..VERY RAW Ray Rice. No, I am not saying he’ll amount to half of what Rice is, but I see a few similarities.
LaVon Brazill, WR – Oh look, another weapon for Luck. Weird how you take a franchise QB and then give him weapons, right?  Anyway, this is the right spot for Brazill and he’ll probably never emerge as more than a #3 receiver.
Justin Anderson, OT – He’s not supposed to be anything special but Indy at least had to attempt to put some work in on that OL. They addressed the QB and weapons for the QB, unless there’s some amazing leaps in talent this year, they’ll be able to grab some tope linemen next year in the draft.
Tim Fugger, DE/OLB – Walter… “I thought the Colts would find a pass-rusher sooner than this, but Tim Fugger is a nice selection in Round 7. He could have gone in the middle of Day 3. More importantly, his mom can be referred to as "Mother Fugger."”
Chandler Harnish, QB – Painter 2.0. Need I say more?

Overall – I’m indifferent here. It’s hard to say it wasn’t a good draft because they got their QB and gave him plenty of toys to play with. But, I wish they would have addressed the need for OL pieces or a better WR before that second TE. But, it was still a solid draft from top to bottom.

Grade – A-

Jacksonville Jaguars
Justin Blackmon, WR – HORRIBLE PICK!! What the fuck were they thinking moving up to grab the projected best wideout in this draft when it was a huge need of theirs? Seriously, the fuck are the Jaguars smoking? 
Andre Branch, DE – I don’t think Branch was underrated, I just think he wasn’t given the credit he deserved because some of the other guys at the position were so good. Branch is right up there with the elite pass rushers from this draft and could end up being the best one from this draft. Plus it fills a need, always a plus.
Bryan Anger, P – I love what Walter said about this. “Wow. A punter in Round 3? I suppose a punter is useful because the Jaguars will be punting a lot, but under no circumstances should you ever select a punter before Round 5.” Yep lol. Anger may be the best punter in this draft but still, he’s a fucking punter lol.
Brandon Marshall, OLB – Never heard of him, he doesn’t seem like he can really play DE, not a need, no clue who he is, nothing else I can really say.
Mike Harris, CB – It’s too bad Anger wasn’t picked here and a corner in the third (Fleming, Bentley and Hosley were the corners taken after Jacksonville’s pick of Anger). Still, this is the right spot for Harris (range wise) and the Jags desperately need corner help. This won’t cut it though.
Jeris Penleton, DT – I turn to Walter once again. “Who the hell is Jeris Pendleton, and what the hell is Ashland? Sounds made up. Eric Matthews' Boris University was more convincing.”

Overall - Started off with 2 great picks, got a little haywire with that punter, 2 who the fuck are they picks and a late corner. Blackmon and Branch make this draft amazing. The rest make it pretty bad. Does it average out to an OK draft? You can decide. In my opinion, it’s a below average draft simply because of the punter pick. They could have grabbed a quality corner who could start for them at that pick and address another huge need. That would have made this an amazing draft.

Grade – C

Tennessee Titans
Kendall Wright, WR – Some see Wright as a #1 receiver but I just don’t see it.  But, Wright doesn’t need to be that on the Titans because they have Britt.  If Britt can get back to his old self, then Wright will be a great second receiver for Locker.  They had to do something to give Locker some more weapons and they got one here.
Zach Brown, OLB – Zach Brown was a first round prospect until teams started to notice is poor work ethic and shitty attitude.  The Titans are taking a risk here but if they’re able to make Brown get his shit together, then they’ll be getting a quality pick here.
Mike Martin, DT – Martin has good value here and he fills a huge need.  Martin will be able to compete for the starting spot and should win it without much trouble at all.
Coty Sensabaugh, CB – This has been unanimously said to be a sleeper pick, so does that make him a sleeper still? Lol.  Either way, Sensabaugh provides good value here and will allow the Titans to add some depth after losing Finnegan.
Taylor Thompson, TE/DE – Walter… “Will the Titans use Taylor Thompson at tight end or defensive end? They need help in both areas. Thompson has tremendous upside as a tight end, but he'd play second fiddle to the emerging Jared Cook. This is the right range for him though.”
Markelle Martin, S – The Titans had no depth at the safety position and Martin provides tremendous value this late.  He was one of the few safeties from this class that can actually pan out as a starter so the fact that he fell this far is remarkable.  The Titans got a steal here.
Scott Solomon, DE – Solomon provides some nice depth at the DE position for the Titans.  That’s about all he does but with the final pick of your draft, if your able to get a quality depth guy, you did a good job.

Overall – The Titans had a nice draft.  They added a weapon for Locker and they addressed the areas of concern on defense.  They got an amazing steal in Martin late and some quality depth with Solomon.  Thompson is an intriguing pick, able to play TE and DE.  Regardless which position the Titans use him at, they should have a decent player on their hands.

Grade – B+

Thanks for reading.  :)

but punter was a big need for us

bad punts cost us at least 2 games last year and he wasnt going to make it past the 4th round consensus around the league and we had no 4th round because of the blackmon trade

it was the right choice
May 7 2012 04:41pm
Quote (kargus @ May 7 2012 03:38pm)
but punter was a big need for us

bad punts cost us at least 2 games last year and he wasnt going to make it past the 4th round consensus around the league and we had no 4th round because of the blackmon trade

it was the right choice

Then let another dumb team take a punter that early.

You and Hako can try to justify it all you want, I'll never be OK with it lol.

The quality of rookie punters is pretty much equal until they have a few years in the league, and then we see who the best ones are. The consensus top 4-5 punters are all about equal talent wise right now. Sure, Anger may turn into the best of the bunch, but they could have sat on the position until later.

EDIT: I'll give you this. Say they don't take the punter. They have all the same picks there and just nothing at the punter pick, their draft jumps to a B. They take an OLB, CB and DT all one round earlier (and a better prospect at each obv) and a punter in the last round, it's probably a B+ or A-.

This post was edited by Randolph on May 7 2012 04:42pm
May 7 2012 04:46pm
Quote (Randolph @ May 7 2012 04:41pm)
Then let another dumb team take a punter that early.

You and Hako can try to justify it all you want, I'll never be OK with it lol.

The quality of rookie punters is pretty much equal until they have a few years in the league, and then we see who the best ones are.  The consensus top 4-5 punters are all about equal talent wise right now.  Sure, Anger may turn into the best of the bunch, but they could have sat on the position until later.

EDIT: I'll give you this.  Say they don't take the punter.  They have all the same picks there and just nothing at the punter pick, their draft jumps to a B.  They take an OLB, CB and DT all one round earlier (and a better prospect at each obv) and a punter in the last round, it's probably a B+ or A-.

he was projected to go 3rd-4th round anyway i dont get why you dont realize this
Gold: 670.00
May 7 2012 04:49pm
Quote (kargus @ 7 May 2012 18:46)
he was projected to go 3rd-4th round anyway i dont get why you dont realize this

Because unless the punter you drafted is Ray Guy, he will never be worth a day 2 selection.
May 7 2012 04:49pm
Quote (kargus @ May 7 2012 03:46pm)

Because he's a punter lol. I do understand where he was projected. A lot of players are projected to go in certain rounds. In fact, come to think of it, every player is projected to go in a round lol. It doesn't mean it's right.

It doesn't matter what team took him, or any punter or kicker for that matter, it's too early to take a player at that position and even if he turns into the best punter to ever play the game, it'll still have been too early for him, regardless of the projection.
May 7 2012 04:52pm
Quote (Randolph @ May 7 2012 04:49pm)
Because he's a punter lol.  I do understand where he was projected.  A lot of players are projected to go in certain rounds.  In fact, come to think of it, every player is projected to go in a round lol.  It doesn't mean it's right.

It doesn't matter what team took him, or any punter or kicker for that matter, it's too early to take a player at that position and even if he turns into the best punter to ever play the game, it'll still have been too early for him, regardless of the projection.

i dont hear anyone saying the shane lechlar pick being stupid now
Gold: 670.00
May 7 2012 04:53pm
Quote (kargus @ 7 May 2012 18:52)

Shane sure helped them win a lot of SBs and playoff games.
May 7 2012 04:54pm
Quote (kargus @ May 7 2012 03:52pm)

Round 5, pick 142

Not Round 3, pick 70
May 7 2012 04:54pm
Quote (Randolph @ May 7 2012 04:54pm)
Round 5, pick 142

Not Round 3, pick 70

they took sebastian jankikowski 17th overall and he has been the best kicker in the NFL and worth it
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Prev123412Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll