d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > 2014 Nfl Draft Quarterback Rankings > Pre-combine
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.27
Jan 6 2014 12:40pm
I'm going to rank and give a quick analysis of some of the top talents per position in this year's draft. I am going to make a new thread for each position and will keep old threads listed in each new thread.

Keep in mind, this is purely my opinions. I am not saying this will be the order, this will be how players turn out or anything along those lines, it's just simply my own personal thoughts.

If you'd like a specific position to be done next, feel free to post, I don't mind jumping around. If not, I'll go in order (QB, WR, RB, TE, OT, etc...)

Anyway, as always, rate, hate and critique your hearts out.

Quarterbacks

1) Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
Bortles has all the pieces to be an elite NFL quarterback. He’s got the size, the powerful arm, the accuracy and the mentality to handle the pressure that comes with being an NFL quarterback. He’s very athletic and is an above average scrambler. His one downside is that his accuracy is not where it needs to be. He has the ability, he’s just a bit inconsistent with it right now but that is the case with the better majority of all college QBs.

2) Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
Bridgewater is a bit slimmer than you’d your 6’3’’ QB to be. He’s weighting in at 218 right now (and most believe that is being awfully generous), if he can put on some muscle and not lose any speed, he can be a better threat. Right now he’s not very fast, not very strong, not very athletic and not the best passer. Now while he’s not the best at any of that, he’s above average in all categories. I don’t think he’ll ever truly be a dual threat QB so he really needs to improve his passing skills and show off at the combine. Everyone is declaring him the best already; didn’t everyone declare Geno to be the best last year too? How’d that pan out on draft day? Season is one thing, but draft day is another. :)

3) Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
Carr is the most NFL ready QB in this draft. He has a powerful arm, good size, tremendous accuracy and good vision. He is a statue though which a lot of teams are shying away from. He can move some, but he’s no Cam Newton of course. If Carr goes to a team like the Browns, one with solid pieces all around, just missing that QB, it could be the start of new dominating force in the league. If he goes somewhere that he has to be a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning and turn others into stars, he’ll most likely fail.

4) Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
I don’t think there’s much I can say about Johnny Football that you don’t already know. He’s short, big ego, arrogant, great football player, can make the throws, can make the decisions, can run, great field vision, all the intangibles (except for height) and has took college football by storm. Now the only question that is left will be, is he the next Russell Wilson or Tim Tebow, only time will tell on that one.

5) Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
Garoppolo comes from a small school and hasn’t played anyone of significance so you probably haven’t heard of him. He’s got the size you want, a very quick release (I mean Drew Brees esque), good strength and accuracy. His hands are a bit small but nothing too concerning, it all sounds great, right? Well as I said, he’s played no one of significance. He hasn’t had a single shred of decent competition so who knows how good he really is. His potential is sky high and his skill set is great but until he plays some real competition, there’s really no way of telling how he’ll do in the pros.

6) Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU
Mettenberger will most likely fly under a lot of radars because of his ACL tear. He showed massive improvements over the past year and really raised his draft stock prior to his injury. He recently underwent surgery and says he’ll be ready to go in time for the combine (but that’s HIGHLY unlikely) so we’ll see how he can bounce back. There could be a team on day 2 who lands an absolute steal here. Great size, strength, accuracy, field vision and decision making. Room for improvement of course and he’s a statue but he’s got the base for greatness set.

7) A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama
McCarron is Alex Smith. He’s not going to wow you in any way shape or form but he’s not going to let you down. He obviously isn’t as established as Smith is but I can’t see McCarron becoming anything more than Smith. Now, while that is in no way a bad thing, but he’ll need to be on a team just like Smith is now for McCarron to have any success as anything other than a backup.

8) Stephen Morris, QB, Miami
Morris has great mobility and good arm strength. His field vision and accuracy is decent but his accuracy is fucking horrible. He will be a great midround pickup for a team that is only looking for a project QB. Niners, Bears, Chiefs, Packers or Chargers could all be great fits.

9) Jeff Mathews, QB, Cornell
Mathews had a down year this year but he’s still a very nice developmental project. He’s a big QB with a very strong arm but he lacks mobility and mental speed. He goes through his progressions slowly and his release isn’t as quick as it needs to be. He needs to show improved accuracy and footwork at the combine, if he does not, he’ll be a day 3 selection. If he shows improvements, he’ll go on day 2.

10) Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Boyd has potential but I have low hopes that he’ll amount to anything in the NFL. He’s undersized (yeah yeah so are Brees, Wilson and Manziel, I know) but he’s nowhere near the overall football player that those guys are, a better athlete, maybe, but football player, no way. Boyd has some building blocks, good accuracy, footwork, speed but he’s going to be a really good backup QB.

11) Bryn Renner, QB, North Carolina
Renner is a pocket passer and no threat to run at all but he is very smart and a great game manager. North Carolina as a whole was disappointing this year but Renner did all he could. He has all the makings of another Alex Smith type QB and can be a great third day selection.

12) David Fales, QB, San Jose State
Fales is an interesting prospect. He has games where he flashes and shows signs of an elite QB and then he’ll have a game where he shits the bed and makes Mark Sanchez look like Peyton. He can make all the throws with solid arm strength and accuracy but he’s very inconsistent. He’s a project for sure but one that has some major upside.

13) Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia
Like Mettenberger, Murray also suffered a late season ACL tear that is going to plummet his draft stock. Putting that aside, Murray was way too inconsistent in college to warrant anything more than a late day 2 selection prior to the injury. The kid shows flashes of brilliance and then shits the bed hard, then brilliance, then shits and so on and so on. He’s got the raw talent, he’s a bit short, but his arm is solid. In the right situation, he could emerge as a mid-tier starter in the NFL, but I see a very good career backup.

14) James Franklin, QB, Missouri
Franklin has good mobility and a solid arm. He’s not excellent at anything but he does a lot very well. He needs to work on his game overall but is a nice late selection sleeper prospect.

15) Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech
Logan Thomas has to be one of the biggest disappointments of the year. He has a great set of abilities but shits the bed for one reason or the other. I’m calling it now, like with Lattimore last year, the Niners, having so many picks and not a lot of needs, will take Logan Thomas either late on Day 2 or sometime on Day 3.

16) Keith Price, QB, Washington
Price is a massive sleeper this year. I’m overlooking him some myself ranking him this low, but the kid can play. He’s a bit small, actually he’s pretty damn small, but he could very well be the next Russell Wilson. He’s shown massive improvements in his mobility, decision making, accuracy and field vision. He doesn’t have the strongest arm but he’s a great prospect just ready to be molded into something special.
Gold: 670.00
Jan 6 2014 12:42pm
You should just make one big draft thread, I think it would probably be easier that way. Just one place to put your rankings, drafts, ect.

Easier to keep track of everything.

This post was edited by GangStarr on Jan 6 2014 12:42pm
Gold: 27.81
Jan 6 2014 01:30pm
UCF represent! Let's go Blake!
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Jan 6 2014 03:42pm
Idk much about Bortles. Didn't watch his bowl game either. Like everyone else, I'm always suspicious of guys who come out of nowhere into the top 5 come draft time.

I feel like Teddy doesn't have a high ceiling. I know there are many who will disagree with me on this, and I admit I don't have the best basis for this opinion because I haven't watched him play much, but he just didn't always impress me in the few games I watched him. He did, however, destroy Miami, but that's like taking candy from a baby. lolamar

Carr and Mettenberger remind me of Flacco. Big arm, not too mobile, but they can both be good pocket passers in the NFL some day. Mettenberger really reminds me of Flacco, since his OC at LSU was Cam Cameron, he is basically immobile, and he's just big and strong like Flacco. inb4lolflaccojokes

Watched Garropolo play vs Towson. His release is so fucking fast, and his throw is pretty strong... He is going to be a starter in the NFL if given the chance, not unlike Romo before him (both went to E.Illinois).

Agree that there is nothing special about McCarron, although I think he should just be a really good backup, not a starter. Maybe go to a place like Tennessee in the 3rd round, where he will get to step in frequently due to injuries to Locker. I'd place Aaron Murray and Tajh Boyd here too.
Jan 6 2014 03:44pm
Teddy would've went full Jameis if he was playing Maryland.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Jan 6 2014 03:49pm
Quote (GangStarr @ Jan 6 2014 04:44pm)
Teddy would've went full Jameis if he was playing Maryland.

Teddy would have to miss the combine due to injury if he played MD, our pass rushers don't fuck around.
Jan 6 2014 03:55pm
Quote (Terps @ 6 Jan 2014 17:49)
Teddy would have to miss the combine due to injury if he played MD, our pass rushers don't fuck around.

Yea, they sure know how to bring down the QB LOL
Gold: 2,227.27
Jan 6 2014 03:57pm
Quote (GangStarr @ Jan 6 2014 05:55pm)
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3340889/winston.gif

Yea, they sure know how to bring down the QB LOL

Ok I had to "lol" on that one rofl

Gold: 6,670.00
Jan 6 2014 03:59pm
Johnny and Teddy will be taken ahead of Carr and Blake in my opinion.
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll