d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > 2013 Nfl Draft Analysis
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.27
May 2 2013 06:36pm
In this thread I will be analyzing every single pick by every single team. I will be listing teams in alphabetical order within their divisions. I will grade each team’s overall draft on a standard A+ to F- grading scale. Keep in mind this is purely my own personal opinion. I’m not always right but I’m not always wrong. I definitely had more right breakdowns of players last year than I did wrong. :) I wish I still had my thread from last year but I lost it. :-/ One last thing, something that VickIsSick07 pointed out to me is that you can’t really say “They could have got this same player at a later pick” because you really don’t know. So, when I do say something along those lines, I usually do truly believe that player would be available still at that later pick but at the very worst a player of equal quality would be available. One more thing haha, I will also put some potentially amazing UDFA signings that teams have grabbed at the end of each list.

OK, really the final thing. Keep in mind that overall grade takes a few things into account. Player’s talent, value at the position they were drafted, need for the team, scheme fit, etc etc etc.

Anyway, here we go.

AFC West

Denver Broncos

28) Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
I really wanted Te’o here but I didn’t think it’d actually happen. Sylvester Williams really is the better player anyway so you can’t fault the Broncos at all. Williams is an incredible talent who should have gone much earlier in the first. The Broncos had zero interior pass rush so this should solve that problem on all accounts. Great pick.

58) Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
Well….uhhh….at least Ball is a good back? It’s not a terrible pick but Ball most likely would have been available later on. The Broncos needed a running back and Ball is good but he has a lot of tread on those tires so we’ll have to see how long he can hold up for.

90) Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida
OK Broncos, you’re trolling now right? Webster was a 6 round to undrafted player. There were an incredible amount of much more talented corners available at this pick. The Broncos kind of derped hard here.

146) Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky
OK here we go, Broncos are getting back on track. Smith is a great talent for this spot. He’s going to be Dumervil’s replacement and you know what, I think he can actually be a true replacement. He has that level of talent, just needs some time to learn. Luckily, I fully believe Smith can have success and learn on the job.

161) Tavarres King, WR, Georgia
The last thing the Broncos’ need is help at receiver but King was too good to pass up. He’ll probably be #4 or 5 on the depth chart in the end but if any of Peyton’s receivers go down, King is going to be able to step in and fill the void with great success.

173) Vinston Painter, OT, Virginia Tech
Painter is going to provide some nice depth and has very nice value at this pick. He’s no starter right now but in the case of injury he could step in and perform well enough and after a season or two, he could develop into a very nice starting tackle.

234) Zac Dysert, QB, Miami of Ohio
This may be a bit of a head scratcher since the Broncos have Brock, but Dysert should have been off the board long ago so the Broncos take the value pick. Some say Dysert’s heart doesn’t really love football but who cares at this point? If that’s true, they still have Brock. If it’s not true and he wants to play football, now they have Brock and Dysert learning behind the one of the greatest of all time so when he’s gone, they have multiple options for themselves.

UDFA) Kemonte Bateman, WR, New Mexico State; Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico
Neither of these kids were drafteable prospects but I liked them both a lot as UDFA’s. Both have some talent but aren’t ready to make significant contributions to an NFL team. I think practice squad for a year, depth/special team guys next, and then actual contributors eventually.

All in all, the Broncos put together a very solid draft. A little sketchy there for a few picks but they bounced back. The Ball pick was a little premature and how long he can last is a question but there’s still no denying his skill level so you can’t penalize them for the pick. The Webster pick though, yeah, that brings this grade down a bit. Still, they addressed some major needs, filled some holes on the depth chart and set themselves up to have multiple options for the day that Peyton calls it a career.

Overall Team Draft Grade – B+

Kansas City Chiefs

1) Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
OK, I’m torn here. Although I liked Fisher more than Joeckel (you can see my Joeckel breakdown at the Jags picks), I understand the risk of taking a player who rises quickly based on workouts. Now he did have a great senior bowl but other than that, he really wasn’t challenged by any elite talent. With all of that said, I still like Fisher more than Joeckel so I approve of this move hesitantly. With Albert most likely on the way out, Fisher will be able to step in on day 1 and play left tackle for many many years. If they keep Albert, then Fisher can play on the right for this year and then when Albert is gone next year, Fisher can step to the left side and begin those many many years.

63) Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati
Uhhhh, did the Chiefs forget that they have Tony Moeaki and Anthony Fasano on their roster? I can understand if they were drafting an upgrade over them, since they’re both just slightly above average TEs, if that, but Kelce isn’t really close to either of them and at best will only match them. Plus he comes with some off the field baggage. Not a good pick.

96) Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas
Full disclosure, I usually don’t fall in love with combine heroes but damn it I sure as hell did with Davis. The kid is a physical freak but he does have some fumbling issues. The Chiefs wanted a power back to compliment JC but there were better ones available.

99) Nico Johnson, ILB, Alabama
With the unfortunate Belcher incident that took place, the Chiefs had to address the ILB position. Regardless of what they say though, they were probably targeting Barkley here but the Eagles knew that and jumped in front of them so they go with option two for this pick. Johnson should have no issue competing for and winning one of the starting jobs and should prove to be a very nice pickup for the Chiefs.

134) Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia
The Chiefs took care of the corner need in free agency but the value of Commings was too good here to pass. He’s a big tall corner which is taking over the position right now and worst case scenario, they can play him at safety.

170) Eric Kush, C, California-Pa
Who? I don’t know either. He was a widely thought to be undraftable prospect but we’re closing in on the end of the draft so the Chiefs secure a guy that they apparently liked enough o not risk losing as an UDFA.

204) Braden Wilson, FB, Kansas State
Reid is one of the few coaches left who still loves to use a true blue fullback so they grab a solid young one here. There really isn’t much to judge a fullback on. Size, ability to block, ability to gain short yards. Wilson does all of that well. It’s the right range for him, or any FB really so good pick.

207) Mike Catapano, DE, Princeton
Teams shy away from those Ivy League kids usually and that’s a bad philosophy in the end. Catapano is no pro bowler but he’s a high energy, smart and great character guy. He’s going to be valuable to have on the depth chart. He doesn’t really fit in the Chiefs’ defense but who cares at this point in the draft?

UDFA) Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee
These fucking Chiefs. Now, I never would have said I wanted a QB from this class, but I really, REALLY wanted the Cardinals to grab Tyler Bray. The kid has all of the tools to be an NFL QB if he were to learn from the proper vet. He has a monster arm and is fairly accurate already. He’s just an immature asshole lol. Anyway, this is a great pickup as an UDFA. A 6th or 7th round pick on Bray would have been a solid move so picking him up here is even better.

The Chiefs put together a solid, but not spectacular draft. They made some solid defensive selections but kind of shit the bed on offense a bit. Only a bit though, not full blown shitting lol. :) Not really a whole lot to say, this is probably the one team’s draft that we really just have to wait and see how it goes before we can really judge it.

Overall Team Draft Grade – B-

Oakland Raiders

12) D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston
This is a fantastic move. The Raiders needed more picks so they moved down and still got their guy. They would have taken Hayden at 3 if they couldn’t get a trade and rightly so. Hayden is an incredible corner and if it weren’t for his injury, he would have been the top rated corner in this draft easily. He has all of the tools and if his injury doesn’t hold him back, as it seems like it won’t, it looks like the Raiders just selected yet another elite corner to add to the long list they already have had.

42) Menelik Watson, OT, Florida State
Another fantastic pick. Watson is a legit NFL tackle, ready to step in at right tackle and dominate or left tackle and be solid and grow into an incredible tackle. He’s a great athlete and will help keep Flynn upright which was something Raider’s QBs did not have the luxury of last year.

66) Sio Moore, LB, Connecticut
Holy cow the Raiders are having the best draft at this point. Sio Moore is an incredible athlete and will do better in the Raiders’ 4-3 than he would have in a 3-4. He can blitz, cover, stop the run, whatever you need. Honestly, he could have been selected at the top of the second round and no one would question the move.

112) Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas
Me. He’s got an average arm but doesn’t need to make many deep throws in the Raiders’ offense which is good. He’s a game manager and most likely won’t be anything more than a career backup, but an above average backup so it’s an OK move but one that wasn’t necessary. He’ll compete with Pryor for the backup job but all three QBs will be on the roster.

172) Nick Kasa, TE, Colorado
Good fit value wise, Raiders wanted a tight end, Kasa is a solid enough one, they needed to get one for Flynn to throw to so not much more to say other than another solid pick.

181) Latavius Murray, RB, Central Florida
Murray is better than Rashad Jennings so when DMC goes down with his annual injury, Murray should get some significant playing time. He’s a bigger back and should be durable and be able to run between the tackles. This could turn into a fantastic pick for the Raiders, especially when they finally move on from DMC, take that for whatever you think it’s worth. ;)

184) Mychal Rivera, TE, Tennessee
This has become a two tight end league and the Raiders seem to know that. Rivera is a different type of tight end than Kasa is. Kasa will help keep Flynn upright and be a short yardage option while Rivera is more athletic and can be an actual deep threat option. Another very solid pick by the Raiders.

205) Stacy McGee, DT, Oklahoma
Among all of the Raiders’ needs, and boy were there a lot of them, DT may just have been the biggest one. Well, they waited a little longer than anyone expected to take one but they at least took a good one. McGee is no pro bowler, but he’s better than anything else the Raiders’ have for the position. It’s a nice pick value wise too.

209) Brice Butler, WR, San Diego State
Butler is a gym rat with speed and strength and with DHB gone, is a solid addition for the Raiders. Value is good, he’ll be a nice contributor.

233) David Bass, DE, Missouri Western
Bass could have gone in the fourth round so this is a great value. He’s a solid starter for the Raiders but would be an above average rotational guy on other teams so it is what it is.

UDFA) Conner Vernon, WR, Duke; Deunta Williams, DB, California
I had Vernon as a 5th round prospect so this is a solid grab for the Raiders. He could even emerge as a starter for them week 1 which says more about the lack of talent on their roster as of now rather than the talent of Vernon. Williams on the other hand is a solid depth guy for them that could develop into a nice starter if they don’t find another option before that time comes.

It’s odd to say but the Raiders put together one of the better drafts out of everyone. They addressed many needs but took value too. Every single one of their picks, minus Wilson, filled a great need but they didn’t reach for any players too much (Kasa was a slight reach, not much though). They got some instant starters who can contribute in a huge way and got some very nice developmental players (who unfortunately could still emerge as week 1 starters for them).

Overall Team Draft Grade – A+

San Diego Chargers

11) D.J. Fluker, OT/G, Alabama
The Chargers were in a tough spot here with the top 3 tackles and the top 2 guards off the board. The opted to go with the next best offensive linemen rather than a more talented player and I can’t fault them for it, but I can’t praise it either. It’s not a bad pick but any means, it’s just not the best one either.

38) Manti Te’o, LB, Notre Dame
Love it. I’m a Te’o fan boy (yeah, go ahead and crack your jokes if you like, I’ve set you up for them lol :rolleyes: ) Anyway, everyone judges Te’o on the girlfriend incident and his game against Alabama. OK, so when Tom Brady throws an interception and misses a throw and the Patriots lose ONE GAME, does that make him a terrible QB? Te’o is the most talented LB in this draft, I don’t care what anyone says, he just has a media headache attached to him. Or so I thought. Watching his introduction to the Chargers, it was mild, and nothing too out of the ordinary so it looks like that’s all done. The Chargers moved up to get Te’o which I didn’t think was necessary but they still grab the top player at a position of need.

76) Keenan Allen, WR, California
How the fuck did this happen? Allen is easily a first round talent. He had some late off the field issues but it wasn’t enough for him to drop to the third round. The Chargers jump at the chance to get Allen and immediately bolster their receiver corps. Allen should be their #1 in week 1.

145) Steve Williams, CB, California
Although I don’t think this is a bad pick, I just think there were other, more talented corners available. Either way, Williams fits this range (maybe a bit early) and the Chargers really needed to have some insurance in case Cox or Gilchrist get hurt as they tend to do.

179) Tourek Williams, DE, Connecticut
With Shaun Phillips gone the Chargers had to address the rush linebacker position at some point. I have no problem with them waiting this long to do so since the rest of their picks were nice. Although they could have done it in the first and got another OL piece later, it’s still OK going this route. This fits the value range for Williams and he could emerge as their eventual starter across from Ingram.

221) Brad Sorensen, QB, Southern Utah
Uhhhhh what? Why is really the better question haha. There were quite a few better QB prospects on the board that went undrafted so I don’t get why they went with Sorensen but they needed a backup so maybe they saw something they really liked.

UDFA) Robert Geathers, NT, Georgia; Josh Johnson, CB, Purdue
Geathers should have been taken in the 4th or 5th round to be completely honest so that’s a great grab by San Diego. Johnson could have been 5th or 6th round and could easily take over the second or third spot on the Chargers corner depth chart.

Overall the Chargers did pretty good. Not great, but solid enough. They had too many needs to fill in one draft. I really wish they would have grabbed a more talented running back (they grabbed an UDFA but that’s it) and some more OL help but again, they had many more holes to fill than they had draft picks so it’s hard to penalize them for that.

Overall Team Draft Grade – B

Definitely not enough room for everything in one post. Going to keep posting but this 10% is going to slow me down. Try not to be that guy and post in between please. There will be 8 posts in total (one for each division). Don't be an asshole even though I know one of you will.
May 2 2013 06:37pm
AFC North

Baltimore Ravens

32) Matt Elam, S, Florida
Oh look, the Ravens have a need, they don’t move, they let bad teams make dumb selections (cough, Niners, well, dumb selection, not bad team lol) and they get a great player. Elam was one of the top safeties in this class, right up there with Vaccaro and Cyprien, all having very good cases for the top safety in this class. Great value, fills a need, great player, Ravens with a good pick.

56) Arthur Brown, ILB, Kansas State
OK, what is this shit lol. If the Ravens took Brown in round 1, no one would have questioned it. If the Bears had taken Brown in round 1, no one would have questioned it. The fuck is this end of round 2 shit? Lol. Another fantastic pick.

94) Brandon Williams, NT, Missouri Southern
Small school scares teams away and a smart team takes advantage of that. Williams should have gone round 2. He played incredibly well at the senior bowl, dominating some top talent there and the Ravens, yet again, get another steal.

129) John Simon, DE/OLB, Ohio State
Good value, good player, doesn’t fill an immediate need but he’ll provide some very nice depth and be a solid rotational guy for the time being unless injury calls upon him to step in and start. Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, Ravens got a steal.

130) Kyle Juszczyk, FB, Harvard
This is a cap selection. Leach is expensive so they take the top fullback in this class, albeit a bit early, so they can cut him and save money. They could have probably sat on a FB for a few more selections, but I don’t fault them for grabbing him here.

168) Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin
Wagner can’t play left tackle but he can be a very serviceable right tackle. Unfortunately the Ravens don’t need a right tackle so they’ll still have to keep McKinnie around. Right range for Wagner though value wise.

200) Kaprin Lewis-Moore, DE/DT, Notre Dame
If it weren’t for injury, Lewis-Moore would have been a second-third round selection. The kid is just a flat out football player and just screams prototypical Ravens’ player.

203) Ryan Jensen, G/OT, Colorado State
Right range value wise, solid depth guy, can’t fault this pick at this point in the draft.

238) Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon
The fuck, seriously, the fuck is this shit? Year after year after fucking year, the Ravens just get steal after steal after steal lol. Mellette should have gone in the third, maybe the fourth, so this is incredible value here. He’s a big physical receiver with some nice speed and solid hands.

247) Marc Anthony, CB, California
Fuck it, just fuck it all. I’m tired of saying Ravens get another steal. Anthony is a very talented corner who should have been gone in the third round. This is ridiculous.

UDFA) None of note.

There really isn’t too much to say. The Ravens raped this draft so hard. They got a steal at every single pick it seems like. Third round talent in round 4, they filled needs, and just good god bad teams are bad, good teams are good, they refilled their roster after losing some major talent.

Overall Team Draft Grade – A++

Cincinnati Bengals

21) Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
This pick truly caught me off guard. I never saw it coming. With that said, I LOVE this pick haha. It was clear that the Bengals desperately needed other options for Dalton than Green so they get one. Eifert and Gresham will be a very formidable duo and create a new dynamic for that offense.

37) Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina
Everyone saw this pick coming so it’s no surprise. Bengals had interest in Bernard from day one and that never changed. He was mocked to them at this spot by nearly everyone and boom, it happened haha. He’s a great compliment to BJGE and should easily over take him on the depth chart. Bernard is also a dynamic playmaker in the return game so that will be a nice sight for Bengals fans too.

53) Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
OK, Hunt is a raw but incredibly talented prospect. He’s phenomenal but I don’t know how he fits in the Bengals system. It wasn’t really a need for them either at all but, then again, it’s hard to pass on this level of talent and potential so I can’t fault them for it. Just would have liked to see them address something that was more of a need.

84) Shawn Williams, S, Georgia
Safety was a major need for the Bengals but this is a bit of a reach for Williams. Not much, but one none the less. He does fit well for their scheme though so that balances out the reach.

118) Sean Porter, OLB, Texas A&M
Porter provides nice value here and makes a lot of sense. He’s not ready to start yet but that’s perfect because he can play and learn behind James Harrison for a few seasons and then take over the job. It’s a very solid pick and could turn into the best of this draft in the long run for the Bengals.

156) Tanner Hawkinson, OT, Kansas
This is a big reach for Hawkinson so it’s tough to praise the pick. Personally I see a lot to like in him, but only as a developmental prospect so there’s pros and cons to this pick. More cons unfortunately.

190) Rex Burkhead, RB, Nebraska
Don’t see the reasoning for this pick with BJGE and Bernard already on the roster. Burkhead can be a solid third option, special teams contributor and nice insurance in the case of injury but don’t expect him to over take BJGE or Bernard.

197) Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas
It’s ridiculous that Hamilton fell this far. Week 1, expect to see Hamilton across from AJ Green. This kid is a legit NFL receiver and the Bengals needed to add another receiver. This is an incredible pick.

240) Reid Fragel, OT, Ohio State
Fragel has all the makings of a legitimate NFL left tackles. Yes, I said left tackle. He’s not there just yet but give him a season or two and I guarantee he’ll be a starting left tackle in the NFL. I really love this pick and I’m jealous that Cardinals didn’t make a move on Fragel.

251) T.J. Johnson, C, South Carolina
Fits the range, decent enough prospect, last pick, etc etc.

UDFA) Bruce Taylor, LB, Virginia Tech
I fell in love with Taylor as a developmental prospect. He can play inside or out and I think could emerge as another Vontaze Burfict for the Bengals. Not as talented as Burfict, but follow the same lines as an UDFA turned to a very solid starter.

Overall a very solid draft for the Bengals. A few questionable, but understandable picks and filled a some needs. They definitely had more very good picks than reaches so overall you can’t complain about this at all. One curious thing to me is that they didn’t take a QB anywhere or even snag one of the UDFAs that was available. Don’t get me wrong, Dalton is solid, but who’s behind him pushing him? Gradkowski? Dalton doesn’t need to worry about that. A younger guy who could really push Dalton harder would have been nice but it was a minor thing and nothing you can penalize them for.

Overall Team Draft Grade – A-

Cleveland Browns

6) Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU
Apparently the Browns didn’t watch Mingo struggle last year and flat out give up at times. He has loads of potential but 6th overall? There had to be someone willing to trade up, why didn’t Cleveland pull the trigger? Oakland moved back and only took 1 extra pick in return, they knew what to do and Cleveland apparently did not. OK, don’t move, take a better talent at least. Take Dee, take Tavon, take someone else lol. Jets taking Mingo wouldn’t surprise me, but the Browns? I really thought they were headed in the right direction. Guess I was wrong.

68) Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State
I have a major boner for McFadden so full discretion there haha. I love this pick. Probably a bit early but McFadden should be starting across from Hayden day 1. He’s a bit small but for a #2 it’s not a concern.

175) Jamoris Slaughter, S, Notre Dame
A bit of a reach but no biggie this late in the draft. They needed competition and depth at safety and Slaughter can provide that. Plus, he has a cool name.

217) Armonty Bryant, DE/OLB, East Central Oklahoma
Seventh round but come on. Guy was arrested for selling drugs at one point. Has the talent but not worth the risk with those kinds of off the field and character issues/concerns.

227) Garret Gilkey, OT, Chadron State
Here’s a good pick finally. Gilkey is a solid tackle, could emerge as a very nice right tackle in a season or two. The Browns needed depth anyway so this is a good pick. Gilkey could have easily gone earlier than this so good value here too.

UDFA) Chris Faulk, OT, LSU; Dave Kruger, DT, Utah
I had Faulk as a 4th-5th round prospect so very nice pick up there. Between Gilkey and Faulk, the Browns should have a very solid RT here soon to go with Joe Thomas on the left side. That will be nice for whatever rookie QB they draft next year. As for Kruger, he’s a nice developmental prospect and is a nice fit at NT for their new 3-4. Plus the Browns just paid his brother a shit load of money, they have to at least give Dave a chance haha.

Overall, not a fan of the Browns’ draft. They acquired a number of picks for next year’s draft when they really didn’t need to. This draft was deep at positions they needed to address other than QB so I don’t quite understand it. They made a couple nice picks but nothing spectacular. I hope Mingo works out but as far as anything I saw from the kid, he doesn’t have the love for football and you can’t teach that.

Overall Team Draft Grade – C

Pittsburgh Steelers

17) Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
Tell me if this sounds familiar. The Pittsburgh Steelers select a prospect who’s falling, even though he’s one of the best in this draft, and fill a huge need. Seriously, Jarvis Jones was my #2 OVERALL player in this draft and the Steelers get him at 17 because dumb teams are dumb and smart teams are smart. It’s mind boggling. Bye bye James Harrison, hello Jarvis Jones.

48) Le’Veon Bell, RB, Michigan State
OK, this is a bit of a reach for Bell, even I can admit that, but the talent is undeniable. Bell carried Michigan State’s offense and he’s the total prototypical Steelers’ running back. Surprised they grabbed him so early as I said, but not shocked that they valued him so highly.

79) Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State
Hmmm, “tell me if this sounds familiar. The Pittsburgh Steelers select a prospect who’s falling, even though he’s one of the best in this draft, and fill a huge need.” Lol. OK, so Wheaton isn’t one of the best in this draft, but the point remains the same. Wheaton is Mike Wallace reincarnate, but that’s what the Steelers need. They have other options to do other stuff. The different with Wheaton is that, in my opinion, he has hands whereas it always seemed like Mike Wallace’s arms stopped at the wrist.

111) Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse
Thomas is a bit small but he has heart and always gives it his all. He won’t start day 1 but that’s not what the Steelers’ want from Thomas. He’s going to sit behind one of the best safeties ever to play the game, learn from him and eventually play beside him or replace him.

115) Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma
Uhhhh what? I understand the Steelers need a backup QB but really? Landry Jones? Really? He’s barely capable of taking a snap from under center lol. I don’t get this but hey, maybe it will work out.

150) Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois
Hey look, the Steelers used a mid-round selection on a corner lol. Color me shocked! This fits the range for Hawthrone and he’s a solid depth guy so it’s a good pick.

186) Justin Brown, WR, Oklahoma
Uhhhh, Steelers, you’re trolling right? This kid should have gone undrafted. Look at these picks that went after Brown at the position. Cobi Hamilton, Marquess Wilson and Aaron Mellette. Those three guys along are all extremely more talented than Brown so idk. But, Brown can contribute in the return game and maybe be a 4th guy on the depth chart, but more likely return and 5th guy or only return man.

206) Vince Williams, ILB, Florida State
Vince Williams has the potential to be a starter in the NFL so I don’t know why it took so long for a team to take him but low and behold, the Steelers take a falling prospect that dumb teams pass over for whatever reason.

223) Nick Williams, DE/DT, Samford
The Steelers’ current DEs are a bit disappointing so Williams could easily become a starter for Pittsburgh. He has tremendous value this late in the draft so another fantastic pick by the Steelers.

UDFA) None.

I’m really surprised they didn’t try to bring in one other QB. They must really just be smitten with Landry Jones. Other than that selection though, there really isn’t a bad pick in this draft. In fact, there really isn’t even a good pick in this draft. Outside of Landry Jones, every single one of the Steelers’ selections was absolutely incredible.

Overall Team Draft Grade – A

Definitely not enough room for everything in one post. Going to keep posting but this 10% is going to slow me down. Try not to be that guy and post in between please. There will be 8 posts in total (one for each division). Don't be an asshole even though I know one of you will.
May 2 2013 06:38pm
AFC East

Buffalo Bills

16) E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
Quote from WalterFootball, “Thirty-one NFL teams knew how terrible this quarterback class was. No franchise wanted any part of those signal-callers. Except for the Bills. They went with E.J. Manuel at No. 16 overall, which was a colossal reach, considering that they could have obtained him or any other quarterback in the second round. In hindsight, Buffalo should have gone with Tavon Austin at No. 8 and then grabbed the signal-caller of its choice early on Day 2.” There really isn’t more to it than that.

41) Robert Woods, WR, USC
Woods was one of, if not the top receivers in this draft. He was plagued with an injury and Matt Barkley’s poor play last year so he fell in the rankings. Tavon may have been viewed as the best receiver but I think Woods is the most complete receiver in the draft. Very nice pick by the Bills.

46) Kiko Alonso, ILB, Oregon
I like Alonso a lot but with Brown and Jon Bostic on the board still, how did the Bills make this pick? They had to have been targeting Minter and when the Cardinals selected him, they panicked some and reached for a prospect. He also has some off the field issues which need to be monitored.

78) Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
Goodwin has talent, there’s no denying that, but right now, he’s just a one trick pony. Run straight and run fast. He’s going to need some time to develop but if he does, Stevie Johnson and Robert Woods on the outside and Goodwin in the slot, the Bills could be looking at one of the top trios at the receiver position in a few seasons.

105) Duke Williams, S, Nevada
Full disclosure, I’m a Duke Williams fanboy. They lost George Wilson and as far as I know, Byrd still isn’t under contract so safety was something they had to address. Williams is a sleeper of mine. I don’t see him ever being a Pro Bowl player but the kid has heart. He’s going to be a gritty, hard, just all around football player. He’s going to get his hands dirty and do the things you need to have done on your team.

143) Jonathan Meeks, S, Clemson
OK, safety wasn’t this big of a need… Meeks wasn’t even the top safety, he probably wasn’t even a draftable safety. I don’t get this, not even a good depth pick, just a bad pick.

177) Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
Why? Lindell was really good last year. Why? If they wanted a more booming leg for kick offs fine, get an UDFA or a FA lol. What a wasted pick.

222) Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas
Hey look, a good pick haha. Gragg should have gone in the 4th or 5th round so this is some really nice value. He’s going to give Manuel another solid weapon to throw to.

UDFA) Jordan Dangerfield, S, Townson; Brandon Kaufman, WR, Eastern Washington; Da’Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech; Nickell Robey, CB, USC

Dangefield is here because it proves a point with the Bills select of Meeks. Both of them are about the same talent level and one went at pick 177, the other went undrafted. Kaufman is a very solid receiver who can contribute on special teams and be a very nice 4th guy on the depth chart. Rogers as we all know is very very talented, but he done goofed hard. He comes with baggage so it’s no surprise he went undrafted. With that said, his talent alone is worth the risk because without those off the field issues, he’s a second round prospect. I had Robey as a 6th round prospect so getting him as an UDFA is a nice pickup. He can make for a nice addition to their secondary.

Overall the Bills did poorly. They had some nice moves but they made some very bonehead mistakes too. I can’t say I’m surprised they went with Manuel in the first, but I definitely can say I do not agree with it. They made some nice receiver selections and Gragg with their last pick was probably their best pick overall. When your best pick is your final pick, that’s an issue.

Overall Team Draft Grade – D+

Miami Dolphins

3) Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon
OK so the Dolphins shocked us all with this pick. They have to be thinking one of two things because Jordan does not fit in a 4-3. They are either moving to a 3-4 (which is a great idea, they have ideal personnel for it) or they’re thinking Jordan can act as Von Miller does for Denver in the 4-3. Jordan is nowhere near the talent that Von is so that plan hopefully isn’t the one they’re thinking. Either way, I don’t fault the Dolphins for this pick. It’s clear that Jordan has talent, but #3 overall? I don’t know about that. But, I don’t think Lane Johnson was the right pick for the Dolphins either so I don’t know. They clearly had Jordan as one of the top players in this draft, if not the top player, so they got the guy they wanted.

54) Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
Fantastic pick. Taylor could have very easily gone in the late first round so he has incredible value here. Taylor is a very talented corner and unless someone is escaping my mind, should be the most talented corner on the Dolphins’ roster right now.

77) Dallas Thomas, G/OT, Tennessee
OK, so Dallas Thomas is a talented guard, maybe right tackle, but did the Phins forget they have no answer for the huge hole at left tackle? Now, while Thomas was the most talented OL piece on the board, there were a couple of tackles who could emerge as viable left tackles in the NFL that were taken after this pick (Jordan Mills [163], Ricky Wagner [168], Garret Gilkey [227], Luke Maquardt [UDFA]). Can’t fault the Phins for taking a top talent, just don’t understand why when any of the other mentioned players are better options and, regardless of their actual draft position, could have been taken here.

93) Will Davis, CB, Utah
This may have been a round early for Davis but I’m a fan so I like it. He’s not going to wow anyone with his play but he’ll make for a very solid 3rd corner on the depth chart and contribute on special teams. Hell, he could win out the second starting spot in all reality.

104) Jelani Jenkins, OLB, Florida
OK, the Dolphins keep taking players I like a lot, but they don’t make sense. Jenkins is better suited for a 4-3 but then that makes the Dion Jordan pick even more strange. I like Jenkins a lot, if the Dolphins stick with their 4-3 and play Jordan at the end, then Jenkins can win a starting spot. If they switch to a 3-4 then they just drafted themselves a special teams captain (that’s a good thing btw if anyone thinks I’m knocking that, I’m not).

106) Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State
Dion Sims played great for Michigan State and even though they signed Keller, he’s just a rental and Sims can probably take him down in the depth chart. Tannehill probably wet his pants over this pick.

164) Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida
Running backs fell harder in this draft than quarterbacks did. I don’t understand that because running backs actually had talent in this draft whereas quarterbacks did not. Gillislee is a fast and powerful runner. He’s much stronger than he looks and should be able to challenge Lamar Miller for the starting job week 1 if not win it out.

166) Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida
Carp was becoming unreliable but this was still too early for a kicker. Sturgis is an upgrade though so it helps to not make this a total busted pick.

250) Don Jones, S, Arkansas
Nice depth/developmental pick. Jones had a lot of predraft buzz so it’s a surprise he went so late.

UDFA) None to mention.

All in all the Dolphins had themselves a nice little draft. They got some guys who should make an immediate impact on both sides of the ball. The problem lies in how the players fit their scheme. The best bet is to move to a 3-4 and then this draft grade would jump to an A, but for now, it stays here.

New England Patriots

52) Jamie Collins, DE/OLB, Couthern Miss
The Patriots have quickly taken a fairly weak defense and turned it into a dominate stop unit that’s pretty damn young. Collins continues that trend, adding yet another young and talented pass rusher to the group.

59) Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall
This may be a little early for Dobson but Marshall is big and has some decent speed. He should be a very nice target for Tom Brady. Fuck it, I’ll go bolder than that, Dobson should develop as the #1 receiving option for Tom Brady.

83) Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers
Talib might be gone next off season and they don’t really have any depth anyway. This is the right range for Ryan and I think Patriot fans will be pleasantly surprised with the production they get from this kid.

91) Duron Harmon, S, Rutgers
Who? I’m serious; I hadn’t heard this kid’s name pop up once in any draft discussion. He himself said he was watching the draft as a fan and was completely shocked to hear his name called haha. All I can say is I wish him all the luck in the world but the Patriots could have snagged him as an UDFA.

102) Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
Patriots lost 2 receivers and they drafted 2 receivers. Boyce is a great compliment to Dobson. Where Dobson is the big, physical receiver, Boyce is the smaller speedster who can really stretch the field. BB has had some trouble drafting receivers in the past, but I think he really hit the nail on the head with these two.

226) Michael Buchanan, DE/OLB, Illinois
Buchanan is the perfect Patriots player. He can play the 3-4 or the 4-3 very effectively so no matter what formation the Pats are in, this kid can play. He’s probably only going to be a rotational guy but a very solid rotational guy.

235) Steve Beauharnais, LB, Rutgers
I don’t know much about this kid so I’ll turn to WalterFootball. “Steve Beauharnais was expected to go earlier than this, so I like the value. He's a versatile linebacker, which is something Bill Belichick loves.”

UDFA) None of note.

Overall the Patriots had a solid draft. Addressed some needs, added some depth and made a nice trade with Minnesota to acquire more picks. I think they really killed the receiver picks, taking two receiver that can play off each other very well and can work themselves into the mix right away.

New York Jets

9) Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
OK, logical thinking says this is a good pick. Trade Revis, draft the “top” corner in this draft. Good move, right? NO! This is such a wasted pick. OK, so you move Revis, fine, good move, it was bound to happen. Think about who you still have. Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson. Those are not shitty corners. In fact, those are two corners who started and played very well for this team last year when Revis was out. Why oh why did the Jets blow this pick? RT, FS, SS, OLB, WR, QB all should have been addressed before the corner position especially in a draft that’s so deep with corner talent. I know they really wanted Mingo or Tavon Austin but they could have had Jarvis Jones (OLB), DJ Fluker (RT), Kenny Vaccaro (S) or the top player in this draft (imo) in Star Lotulelei. But, they go for Dee and although he should be a nice corner in this league, it wasn’t as big of a need as some, and apparently the Jets included, believed it to be.

13) Sheldon Richardson, DE/DT, Missouri
Oh cool, I just ripped the Jets for not taking Star, Jarvis Jones or Vaccaro but all three are still on the boar, sweet, they can atone for their mistake and still have a solid first round. Oh wait, we’re talking about the Jets. OK, Sheldon Richardson is a fantastic player. He is very good, there is absolutely no doubt about that, but he’s best fit in a 4-3 as a DT. I can’t see him being a 3-4 DT/DE or NT. If the Jets wanted to go NT and Richardson was the top one available then OK, I can see it, but Star Lotulelei was available. He is the best NT in this draft and, again, the best overall player imo. It’s a mix here, bad scheme fit, better players available, but Richardson is still very talented so idk. Average pick?

39) Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
If Geno Smith was pissed when he wasn’t drafted in the first, imagine how mad he is when he was drafted by the Jets lol. He had not just slightly better, but EXTREMELY better receivers to throw to last year at West Virginia than he will this year in the NFL lol. Hopefully Geno is motivated though and wants to prove people wrong rather than angry, upset and a whiny little bitch as he appeared to be after round 1.

72) Brian Winters, G, Kent State
I really like Winters a lot. I question if the Jets shouldn’t have gone with a receiver (Terrance Williams, Keenan Allen, Marquise Wilson, Markus Wheaton taken just picks later) or a pass rusher ( Damontre Moore, Corey Lemonier, Sam Montgomery taken later in that round too) over a guard. This wasn’t a BPA vs need thing so the Jets must have really liked Winters or thought guard was a dire need. Still a good pick.

141) Oday Aboushi, G/OT, Virginia
Correct me if I’m wrong but is the Jets OL that bad? I know they need a RT and Aboushi MIGHT be able to play RT, but they still need 2 safeties, a receiver, pass rush help, etc…..

178) William Campbell, DT, Michigan
Campbell was a 7th-UDFA prospect so this is a bit of a reach but I don’t understand the need for this pick with the pick of Richardson earlier. Not like you need depth at DT now….

215) Tommy Bohanon, FB, Wake Forest
Seventh round, take a full back, why the hell not? Lol.

UDFA) Dalton Freeman, C, Clemson
Again, is the interior of the Jets OL that bad? Mangold is still good is he not? They have serviceable guards don’t they? Sanchez is the one who ran into that ass, not the other way around lol. But, Freeman is a nice developmental prospect and injury insurance.

Overall, Jets had an OK draft. I personally didn’t like a lot of their picks but I completely understand why they went with the picks they did, and I disagree with the thought process. I think they were poised to have an incredible draft and really help to make this rebuild a quicker process. They definitely helped themselves, just not to the level I believe they could have.

May 2 2013 06:38pm
AFC South

Houston Texans

27) DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
They wanted Hopkins, they needed a receiver, they sat and patiently waited, they didn’t care about MessyRoomGate, boom, rewarded with their man. Hopkins will be a very nice addition to the Texans. Schaub and Dre have to be excited haha.

57) D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina
Swearinger was a late love for me in the draft process. I didn’t really fall in love with him until my final mock. This is a great pick by the Texans. Swearinger can come in, start immediately and learn from one of the best safeties to ever play the game. He’s already extremely talented, with that kind of mentor, the sky is the limit.

89) Brennan Williams, OT, North Carolina
Williams is a very talented prospect with loads of potential. The Texans needed depth at the position and I believe Williams could work his way at least into talks for the starting RT job.

95) Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU
Everyone questions and downs this pick, I praise it. Montgomery was once a first round pick in every mock. He fell super hard because he admitted to downright quitting on his team. So, NFL teams shied away from him as they should have. But, the Texans take him, let him sit behind Watt, let Watt just make Montgomery his bitch and train the kid up and hopefully whip him into shape and get the full potential from him. Only problem is I don’t know how Montgomery fits into the Texans scheme.

124) Trevardo Williams, DE/OLB, Connecticut
This is a nice pick. Connor Barwin left a hole in the Texans defense and Williams can fill it. When Montgomery was the only pass rusher Houston had drafted, I was concerned, as soon as they made this pick and made it so Montgomery could be a depth guy for now, it made things a lot better.

176) David Quessenberry, OT/G/C, San Jose State
Possibly the best overall pick in this draft. Quessenberry can literally play all 5 positions on the offensive line. I’ve been nut hugging this kid for months now and for some reason he fell. Texans got quite the nice steal here.

195) Alan Bonner, WR, Jacksonville State
I don’t know much about Bonner but he seems like a solid 4th option depth guy.

198) Chris Jones, DT, Bowling Green
Jones fits what Wade Phillips likes in a NT so even if it’s a bit of a reach over some possibly more talented players, it’s a nice fit for the scheme so I like the pick.

201) Ryan Griffin, TE, Connecticut
Didn’t think the Texans would wait this long to grab a TE but I like that they didn’t reach for anyone they didn’t want to grab. Griffin is a decent enough tight end but he’s not going to wow anyone with his play.

UDFA) Ray Graham, RB, Pittsburgh; Collin Klein, QB, Kansas State; Dennis Johnson, RB, Arkansas; Alec Lemon, WR, Syracuse
The Texans probably won’t be able to keep Tate past this season (unless his contract is longer and I missed that) so Graham and Johnson are nice additions. Graham had 5th round talent imo but nearly every RB fell in this draft for whatever reason so this is no surprise. Johnson was a bit underrated being outshined by Knile Davis. I think both could and should make the team as solid backups and change of pace guys to Foster. Lemon is more talented than Bonner imo (from the little I’ve seen of Bonner) so it’ll be interesting to see the two of them fight it out. As for Collin Klein, this is a poor man’s Tebow. He’s not the same level as Tebow in any aspect of anything, but he’s a hard worker who is willing to work his ass off until he’s the best. Now that doesn’t mean he’ll ever be close to the best, but I’m very intrigued to see what happens with this kid.

Overall the Texans had a fantastic draft. Addressed needs, didn’t reach, drafted BPA for need, players that fit the schemes, solid depth guys and some intriguing developmental prospects. All in all, you really can’t fault anything the Texans did.

Indianapolis Colts

24) Bjoern Werner, DE/OLB, Florida State
There’s no denying Werner’s talent but I (and many others) question his ability to play in a 3-4. Hopefully it works well and the Colts find themselves a new pass rushing threat. My thought is that the Colts are hoping for Aldon Smith 2.0. A pass rusher who’s projected to be strong in the 4-3, toss him into the 3-4 and he develops and thrives.

86) Hugh Thornton, G, Illinois
This is the right range for Thornton so that’s a good sign and the Colts needed to get some protection for Andrew Luck. The interior of their line was a liability last year and Thornton should be an instant upgrade at one of the guard positions.

121) Khaled Holmes, C, USC
Many dislike this pick but I’m in the minority that actually like it. The Colts obviously recognized their need for interior linemen so they went out and got some. Holmes struggled last year there’s no denying that but the year before he was a dominate center. Hopefully he can return to that form and be for Andrew luck what Jeff Saturday was to Peyton Manning for all those years.

139) Montori Hughes, NT, Tennessee-Martin
This is a very nice pick value wise. Hughes could have gone much earlier. The Colts needed a true NT to fill the middle of their defensive line and they found one. I’m pretty confident that Hughes can jump in and start week 1.

192) John Boyett, S, Oregon
I don’t know much about Boyett but he seems like a solid enough pick for this late. I’m surprised the Colts waited so long before addressing the secondary. They must be pretty confident in their current corners.

230) Kerwynn Williams, RB, Utah State
Donald Brown is most likely gone here soon so the Colts needed another back to go with Ballard. Williams isn’t going to be this year’s Alfred Morris most likely but he can be a solid back. The combo of him and Ballard should be fairly serviceable for the Colts.

254) Justice Cunningham, TE, South Carolina
MISTER IRRELIVANT!!! Go get your dick wet in that cute crazy bitch from New York.

UDFA) None to mention.

Overall the Colts did solid. I am really surprised that they did not draft a corner or receiver but they only had so many picks. I would have taken a few different corners or receivers over Boyett, Williams and Cunningham because there’s talent at safety, running back and tight end in the UDFA market but it is was it is. Not a bad draft, not a spectacular one. The success of this draft really depends on how well Werner does in the 3-4.

Jacksonville Jaguars
Hako, Briggy my Niggy, don’t rape me for this, just read it lol.

2) Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
OK, this is a long one so hang in there with me. This is just really a bad pick. I really did not think the Jags would go with a tackle for a lot of reasons. The largest is that, whether it’s Joeckel or Fisher, the Jags are going to be playing this tackle at right tackle. You do not draft a right tackle with the #2 overall pick. Now, the reasoning is that Monroe only has 1 (or 2? I don’t remember exactly) years left on his contract. OK, so what? Resign him lol. There’s been zero indications that he doesn’t want to resign with the Jags and why wouldn’t he? The Jaguars are most certainly moving in the right direction and acquiring talent. After they get Johnny Football or Teddy next year, they’re going to be a force to be reckoned with. So, why take this tackle then? Well, now if they keep Monroe, they have a very dominate duo at the tackle positions. But you don’t draft a freaking right tackle with the second overall pick, even if he’s the most talented player in this draft (and that’s a debate for another time because Joeckel is not lol). There’s a reason, at the point in time this pick was made, that Andre Smith, Tyson Clabo and Eric Winston were all available free agents. The right tackle position is just not viewed as as big of a need now. The Jaguars have shit tons of cap space so it’s not like they had to do this for money purposes so it makes no sense. Especially when a dynamic player like Dion Jordan, who fits the Jags defense perfectly, was sitting there. My question is, if the Chiefs went Joeckel, and this was Fisher, would they have still made the pick? Either way, I hate this pick. It’s going to be fine because Joeckel will be a solid tackle, but it was a waste for the Jags and I was so excited to see them have a great draft because they’re just a few pieces away.

33) Johnathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
Well, this was a nice pick haha. I had Cyprien as a mid-first round prospect so top of the second gives him solid value. This kid is going to emerge as the top safety from this class so I’m glad he’s going to a team that I like.

64) Dwayne Gratz, CB, Connecticut
The Jags needed help at corner badly but there was better talent available than Gratz. That’s not saying Gratz isn’t a good corner, there were just better options available. But the Jags clearly liked Gratz the most so hopefully it works out.

101) Ace Sanders, WR, South Carolina
Threat in the slot, threat in the return game, great compliment to Blackmon, just trying to figure out how the football is going to get into Sanders hands. :P

135) Denard Robinson, Who The Fuck Knows, Michigan
Seriously, who the fuck knows. Robinson was a QB in college, worked as a WR at the combine, scouted as a kick returner, listed as a corner in most teams eyes and then announced as a RB when the Jaguars drafted him lol. I like it though; they can use him in a few ways, see what works best and stick with it. Probably a career kick and punt return man though, which isn’t a bad thing by any means.

169) Josh Evans, S, Florida
I like this pick a lot. Evans is very underrated and was overshadowed by Matt Elam. The Jaguars are getting quite the steal here imo. Going to be weird to see them starting 2 rookie safeties week 1. :)

208) Jeremy Harris, CB, New Mexico State
Harris is a big tall corner who fits the range for this pick. He’s going to be a good guy depth wise and a solid contributor on at least 2 or 3 of the coverage teams.

210) Demetrius McCray, CB, Appalachian State
Of the three corners the Jaguars drafted, their best one came with their last pick. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if we see McCray starting week 1.

UDFA) Ryan Otten, TE, San Jose State; Matt Scott, QB, Arizona
I’m surprised Otten went undrafted. I thought pretty highly of him but apparently I was the only one. He can be a solid contributor in the NFL so I like this pick up a lot. The Jags said all along they had interest in Matt Scott, they never hid that one bit. They didn’t overdraft him, they didn’t reach and they were rewarded by getting him as an UDFA. Don’t be surprised to see this kid starting for the Jacksonville Jaguars at some point in time.

I question the Joeckel pick a lot. I can’t even really understand the reasoning for it but the Jaguars obviously have a plan so we’ll see how it goes. If they resign Monroe then I won’t be convinced that that pick was a good one, ever. Rest of their draft was solid up and down and the best thing is, they got the QB they wanted all along without having to draft him. Jags fans, be happy with this draft even if I ripped the Joeckel pick.

Tennessee Titans

10) Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
Everyone hates on the selection of a guard in the top 10. I’m not in that mind frame. Elite talent is elite talent, there’s no denying that so that argument can always be made, but when it fills a need too, then it’s the perfect fit (Jaguars fans, you can’t get me on this one haha). Chance Warmack was the top guard and possibly the top talent in this draft for some time. Cooper over through him but that didn’t mean Chance wasn’t still very talented. The Titans had a major MAJOR hole in their interior offensive line. All three positions needed to be addressed. They signed Andy Levitre who is one of the top guards in the NFL and drafted one of the top guards to come out of college ever.

34) Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee
Hunter should not have been available; he’s too talented to be picked here so great value for the Titans even if they moved up to get him. Locker has a real threat now and the Titans have great insurance in case Britt is done.

70) Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, Connecticut
Titans said they wanted to get a franchise corner in this draft and I believe they did, at pick 70. This worked out so much better for the Titans than drafting Dee in round 1. Wreh-Wilson is a very talented cornerback and should prove to be a true #1 corner for many years to come for the Titans.

97) Zaviar Gooden, OLB, Missouri
Another freaking solid pick by the Titans. They needed LB depth and they got a great guy to provide that. Gooden could push very hard for a starting job.

107) Brian Schwenke, C/G, California
Jeez Titans are racking up the Talent. With the signing of Levitre and drafting of Chance and Schwenke, the Titans took one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL and made it one of the best. Great picks.

142) Lavar Edwards, DE, LSU
Edwards is going to provide some very nice and reliable depth for the Titans at the DE position, something they desperately needed.

202) Khalid Wooten, CB, Nevada
I don’t know much about Wooten, he flew under my radar so I have to leave it at that. Everything I’ve read says he’s a great developmental corner so we’ll see how it goes.

248) Daimion Stafford, S, Nebraska
Another solid developmental secondary pick who can contribute on special teams until he’s ready to make the jump to starting, if that day ever comes. At worst, they have a very solid career special teamer here which, as I’ve said multiple times already, is a good thing.

UDFA) Stefphon Jefferson, RB, Nevada; Tom Wort, LB, Oklahoma
Chris Johnson and Shonn Greene better watch the fuck out because Stefphon Jefferson is gunning for both of their jobs and he has the talent to take it. If CJ flops yet again, look for Jefferson, not Greene to be the man. I had Wort as a 6th round prospect who was 1 year of learning away from starting, so this is a nice grab.

Overall a very very good draft by the Titans. They addressed a lot of needs with a lot of talent. The best thing is that Chris Johnson has no more excuses. He blamed the OL and lack of receiving game for his struggles. Their OL is incredible now and they added another receiving threat. If he still struggles, they need to kick the bum to the curb and give the reigns to Stefphon Jefferson.

May 2 2013 06:39pm
NFC West

Arizona Cardinals

7) Jonathan Cooper, G/C, North Carolina
As I said in the Titans breakdown of picking Chance Warmack, I don’t think picking a guard this early is a bad move when they are an elite talent and fill a need. Cooper does just that for the Cardinals and he can play center. I was completely stoked about this pick and couldn’t be happier with it.

45) Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU
Moved back, got a pick and got the guy they wanted. The Cardinals needed another ILB to go along with Daryl Washington (once he’s back from his suspension) so they grabbed Minter. I had Minter mocked to the Cardinals a number of times in round 2 so this pick makes a ton of sense. Now they need someone to fill in for DWash until he’s back, Urlacher anyone? :)

69) Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
I finally learned how to pronounce this kid’s name properly with the 30 minutes of coverage they had on him after the pick was made. I always said Math-eh-you but it’s really just like the name Mathew lol. Anyway, I’ll be the first to admit I’m a huge Mathieu doubter, I have very little faith in this kid to get his shit together. But, I also did say that out of all the teams that could draft him, the Cardinals were one of them that I thought it could work out. He didn’t start to have major issues with marijuana/suspensions/etc until Patrick Peterson left. Who is going to be his mentor in Arizona? Patrick Peterson. That along with weekly drug tests, I think he may realize this is shot, don’t blow it. Plus, the Cardinals plan to play him at FS which I question a bit but we’ll see. Still, even with all of that, my brain says this won’t turn out well, but my heart is holding out hope now that he’s a Cardinal lol.

103) Alex Okafor, DE/OLB, Texas
Are you kidding me? I about shat myself when they announced this pick. Okafor was a borderline first round talent and he fell this far? Not only that, but this fills a HUGE need for the Cardinals. Think about this set of starting LBs. Sam Acho – Kevin Minter – Daryl Washington – Alex Okafor. Show me a more talented, younger corps than that, I dare you. :P

116) Earl Watford, G, James Madison
Watford turned a lot of heads during workouts prior to the draft. Another case of a smaller school kid rising late. Clearly the Cardinals liked what they saw a lot since they reached for him a bit here. With guard being the biggest need for the Cardinals and Cooper possibly playing center, they had to grab another option and Watford is a very nice one to see what he can do with the big boys.

140) Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford
Again? Hang on, did I become the Cardinals GM all of a sudden? This is another player I preached for the Cardinals for months and it really happened? I love Taylor. He’s not extraordinary in any particular area but he’s not bad in any area. He’s very solid and all around sound at everything.

174) Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M
I started to breath so heavy and let out the most excited girly squeak ever when this pick was made. Swope fell due to some concussion issues but at this point in the draft, who the fuck cares? BA’s system requires speed and Swope sure as hell has it. Fitz and Floyd on the outside, Swope in the slot, that’s a tough one to match up with.

187) Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
This was a pure BPA pick. The Cardinals already had Mendy and Taylor (along with Ryan Williams and Alonso Smith from last year) so do they really need a fifth running back? Well, when it’s a consensus third round pick in the late sixth round, yeah, you go for it. When Mendy eventually falls to shit, I can’t wait to see Taylor and Ellington fight it out for the starting job.

219) D.C. Jefferson, TE, Rutgers
Never heard of the kid, last pick, can’t knock it. I know you want two TEs in this league now and we have little after Rob Housler for BAs system so it makes sense that we got one.

UDFA) Dan Bucker, WR, Arizona; Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma
Buckner had a solid season for the Wildcats and could emerge as a solid depth guy who can contribute when called upon and on special teams. Jefferson is an interesting grab. He’s a very boom or bust pick but he was rated by most as a third round prospect so I love the value here, especially when it’s a need. I would have been absolutely PISSED if we drafted him anywhere before round 7 but grabbing him as an UDFA is a fantastic move.

Overall I’m freaking cumming like a mother fucker over this draft for the Cardinals. I could not have asked for anything more. In BA and Keim we trust baby. No “+” because I don’t want to be too bias. :D

San Francisco 49ers

18) Eric Reid, S, LSU
Why? Why Niners why? Why move up? Why move up for Eric Reid of all safeties? I understand the abundance of picks that they had allowed them to do as they pleased but this was a busted pick. Reid can’t cover worth a shit so that will fit right in line with Niner safeties and there were better options on the board. I don’t know, it’s whatever, hope it works out for them.

40) Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State
Can’t deny the talent of Carradine one bit, but I question how he’ll fit in the Niners’ system. He’s not a good fit for a 3-4 DE/DT spot and idk if he’ll be successful standing up so we’ll have to see how it plays out. Still a good pick on talent alone.

55) Vance McDonald, TE, Rice
This caught me by surprise. Not the tight end pick, but the player they chose. I like McDonald, he’s solid, but I felt there were much better TEs on the board. Still, it was a need they filled so you can’t question it.

88) Corey Lemonier, DE/OLB, Auburn
Nice value here, good player, fits the scheme much better than Carradine, going to provide nice depth and in the case the Niners’ can’t keep all their current starters together once big money starts to come along, Lemonier should be a very nice replacement.

128) Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
I was so happy the Niners still addressed the receiver position. I was afraid that they may overlook it with the addition of Q. Patton is a very talented receiver who should have been taken earlier than this. Nice addition.

131) Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
This was a simple case of the rich having the means to take a player who probably won’t even play this season. The Niners don’t need a RB right now, they didn’t have any glaring needs at this point to address so they took the most talented running back in this draft (without injuries of course) so he can spend a year rehabbing, recovering, getting to 100% and come out in a year and prove he has the skill to play in the NFL.

157) Quinton Dial, DE/DT, Alabama
Justin Smith’s successor maybe? Lol. Probably not, but he’s a nice depth guy for the time being.

180) Nick Moody, ILB, Florida State
Obviously the Niners have no need for a new starting ILB but they really needed depth. Right range for Moody, good pick.

237) B.J. Daniels, QB, South Florida
I really question a lot of team’s decisions on QBs in this draft. Yes, this draft was filled with a bunch of garbage QBs but for a late round developmental picks, there were a lot of solid options. Daniels wasn’t one of them but hey, they needed a backup so maybe Harbaugh sees something we don’t, wouldn’t be the first time.

246) Carter Bykowski, OT, Iowa State
Late round depth pick. I like his last name.

252) Marcus Cooper, CB, Rutgers
Really thought they’d go corner earlier than this. Are the Niners picks done yet? I’m tired of talking about them lol. :)

UDFA) Luke Maquardt, OT, Azusa Pacific
Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck! Maquardt is, he fucking IS a starting LEFT TACKLE in the NFL. The kid is LOADED with potential and just fuck. The Niners of all teams get him as an undrafted free fucking agent. Ugh. Great grab.

The Niners had an up and down draft. They made a few questionable, but I guess understandable moves but overall, they killed it. My favorite pick of theirs wasn’t even a draft selection, it was an UDFA acquisition. <_<

Seattle Seahawks

62) Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M
Although Wydz likes and called this pick, I am not a fan. They have Lynch and Turbin already, why do they need another unless they have no faith in Turbin. Michael is talented though so idk what their plans are.

87) Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State
A bit of a reach but a great pick none the less. Hill needs to be a little more consistent but this fills a need and he was one of the top DTs on the board so you can’t argue them reaching a little.

123) Chris Harper, WR, Kansas State
Like the Niners, I am glad the Seahawks weren’t satisfied with their current line of receivers. Harper is better than Sidney Rice right now, and he’s not a walking injury, so this is a very nice pick.

137) Jesse Williams, NT, Alabama
Did I say Jordan Hill was one of the top DTs on the board at 87? Well damn, I must have been a little stoned there because Jesse Williams was still available. This is a great pick, huge value, great talent, fills a glaring need, what more can you want?

138) Tharold Simon, CB, LSU
Simon is the prototypical Seahawks corner now. Big and physical. He’ll fit right in with their current crop of corners. I wouldn’t worry about his arrest, everything sounds like it was just a big headed cop butting heads with a big headed idiot (Simon) and it escalated to a level it did not need to.

158) Luke Willson, TE, Rice
Reach, could have got him as an UDFA and much better talent available at TE here.

194) Spencer Ware, RB, LSU
Carroll you be trolling us right? Why do you need another running back? Makes zero sense.

220) Ryan Seymour, G, Vanderbilt
Seventh round so can’t question who is selected but why did it take the Seahawks so long to take an offensive linemen?

231) Ty Powell, OLB, Harding
Nice pick here. Provides some great depth, Powell has incredible value here and he can push for a starting job so great pick.

241) Jared Smith, G/DT, New Hampshire
Wait what position does he play? I don’t know, that’s what he’s listed as lol. Probably won’t even make the team though.

242) Michael Bowie, OT, Northeast Oklahoma State
Another guy who probably won’t even make the team.

UDFA) Alvin Bailey, G, Arkansas
Why is it that the Seahawks best offensive line pick was an UDFA? Lol

Overall the Seahawks had a nice draft. A few questionable picks that may hurt them in the end (because they could have filled other needs or taken better talent) but they still addressed a few needs and made the team better. Did they do enough to overthrow the Niners though? We’ll have to see.

St. Louis Rams

8) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
Sam Bradford just shit his pants and started crying out of joy. Consensus top receiver in this draft, very very receiver needy team, why not move up to get him? Good pick.

30) Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
Again, one of the top talents at the position, very needy position for the Rams, pull that trigger. Rams doing work.

71) T.J. McDonald, FS, USC
McDonald is the only safety in this draft that I’m actually labeling FS or SS in this analysis I believe. He is the most pure FS in this draft. That doesn’t mean he can’t play SS (or who knows, even corner) but it means that for what you want out of a FS, McDonald does it better than anyone imo. Again, a great talent, a huge need, Rams looking stronk as fuk!

92) Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia
OK, who took over the Rams and made them intelligent lol. Why not pair up Bailey and Austin? They great compliments to each other and I bet Sam Bradford couldn’t even speak when this pick was selected.

113) Barret Jones, C/G/T, Alabama
Oh look, the Rams figured it out. When you want your franchise QB to be good and succeed, you need to have receivers for him and protection. What a weird philosophy.

149) Brandon McGee, CB, Miami
McGee was a very underrated corner in this draft imo. I think he has very solid starting potential. Only time will tell but I like this pick a lot to go with Jenkins and GotBeatTheFuckUpByDre.

160) Zac Stacy, RB, Vanderbilt
I have no problem with the Rams waiting to select a running back. Hell, they could have just snagged one as an UDFA. Between Stacy, Richardson and Pead, the Rams have a nice three headed monster in the backfield. They’ll probably only utilize the best duo of the three but I have no idea which combo works best right now.

UDFA) None of note.

Well damn, the entire NFC West had themselves a hell of a draft. The Rams addressed most of their needs with quality talent and really made their team a significant amount better now. How can you argue with that at all?

May 2 2013 06:40pm
NFC North

Chicago Bears

20) Kyle Long, G/OT, Oregon
OK, well, while I predicted the Bears would select an offensive lineman in the first round, I also predicted more talented offensive lineman to be available at his selection lol. Kyle Long has talent, but #20 overall? I don’t know about that. Plus, he doesn’t really fill a need as a guard. If they think he can play right tackle effectively, I’m curious to see how that pans out. While I like the OL pick, there was much better talent on the board with the same level of OL talent available later.

50) Jon Bostic, ILB, Florida
They had to get an ILB at some point and they got a good one. Bostic is a physical freak and I think he’s going to be a very good ILB in this league for a very long time. Very nice selection.

117) Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers
Fantastic pick! Greene has huge value here and I think he may be the most talented player Chicago drafted. The Bears really needed to replenish their LB corps and they did so very well.

163) Jordan Mills, OT, Louisiana Tech
Love this pick. I think Mills is already better than J’Marcus Webb and even has the talent to play on the left side in the NFL which bodes well for the Bears since Bushrod sucks.

188) Cornelius Washington, DE, Georgia
Great pick. Great great great pick! How did Washington fall this far? Well, the Bears get an already incredibly talented player who gets to learn from Julius Peppers, that’s some scary shit right there. Rodgers, Stafford and Ponder, go ahead and shit your pants, it’s OK, no one will judge you.

236) Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State
Like this pick a lot. Wilson is an incredible talent with off the field issues. Get him in with Brandon Marshall, a drama queen in his own right at times who can hopefully teach Wilson how to overcome it and grow up (as it seems Marshall has done for the most part now) and the Bears may just have themselves the steal of this draft.

UDFA) Demontre Hurst, CB, Oklahoma
Hurst is a nice talent who needs to learn to play at the NFL level. Can contribute on special teams right away and emerge as a starting corner at some point down the road.

I’m surprised the Bears didn’t grab a corner in the draft at some point but they still had themselves one hell of a draft. Aside from the Long pick, they got great talent that filled needs at every single pick. It’s unfortunate that the Long pick was so curious and just down right bad of a pick because this could have been an A+.

Detroit Lions

5) Ziggy Ansah, DE, BYU
Great pick by the Lions here. They saw all of the OTs fly off the board, they didn’t panic, they drafted the top talent that fits their system well and created one of, if not the most dangerous 4-3 defensive lines in the NFL.

36) Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State
Slay is a very talented cornerback. He quickly surpassed a lot of other corners in this draft talent wise once we got to see more of him and he got out of Banks’ shadow. Even with their free agent signings, the Lions still needed to address the corner position so this is another great pick.

65) Larry Warford, G, Kentucky
Warford is much more talented than the #65 overall pick. He should have gone much earlier than this so this is a great pick. The guy is a massive talent and is an instant upgrade to the interior of the Lion’s offensive line.

132) Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina
The Lions needed 2 DEs in this draft and they got them. Taylor has some nice base talent but loads of potential. He fits this range for the draft and fits very well into the Lions’ scheme so this is a great pick all around.

165) Sam Martin, P, Appalachian State
PunterInRound5/10

171) Corey Fuller, WR, Virginia Tech
The Lions needed another receiver and I’m surprised they waited so long to get one. Fuller is a nice pick but with a guy like Ryan Swope taken just 3 picks later, I have to dock the Lions a little credit. Imagine Megatron and Swope.

199) Theo Riddick, RB, Notre Dame
This is an injury insurance pick. The Lions don’t need a running back, but they definitely need to make sure they have an extra 1 or 2 on the roster in case Bush is injured.

211) Michael Williams, TE, Alabama
Williams should have gone much earlier than this. He’s going to allow the Lions to play that double TE set that everyone is running now with Pettigrew.

245) Brandon Perburn, ILB, Florida A&M
Last pick, nice depth player.

UDFA) Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA
OK, I had Fauria as one of the top TEs in this draft and he went undrafted. The Lions got a great talent here so now they’ll have 3 capable TEs on their roster.

Overall the Lions had a nice draft. Got some very nice talent and filled some holes. They did draft a punter in round 5 though. <_<

Green Bay Packers

26) Datone Jones, DE/DT, UCLA
Love this pick. I viewed Datone Jones as one of the top 10 overall players in this draft, just purely based on talent. Jones is just a gritty football player. Fits in with the Packers great. He should and will emerge as one of, if not the best players to come out of this draft.

61) Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
I wasn’t as high on Lacy as most were but this is still a great pick. The Packers even moved down and were still able to get the guy they wanted. He’s an immediate upgrade to their backfield.

109) David Bakhtiari, OT/G, Colorado
Bakhtiari has great versatility. I’m fully convinced he can play right or left, tackle or guard successfully. Great addition for the Packers that will really bolster their line.

122) J.C. Tretter, G/OT, Cornell
Another versatile offensive lineman who can play both guard positions but only right tackle. Still, a great pickup for the Packers, they really boosted their offensive line with these two picks.

125) Johnathan Franklin, RB, UCLA
Franklin was my #1 ranked running back. The kid is a freaking stud so how he fell this far is beyond me. Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin will make for a very very formidable duo for the Packers.

159) Micha Hyde, CB/S, Iowa
Hyde will probably have to move to safety in the NFL but the Packers just needed to add some players to their secondary so regardless if he plays corner or safety, he’s a great addition to a thin secondary.

167) Josh Boyd, DE/DT, Mississippi State
Boyd fits this range value wise and will provide for some nice and much needed depth to the Packers’ defensive line.

193) Nate Palmer, DE/OLB, Illinois State
This is a reach but at this point in the draft it really doesn’t matter. Palmer will be a depth guy.

216) Charles Johnson, WR, Grand Valley State
I’m surprised the Packers waited so long to get a receiver but they clearly have confidence in the guys they have. Johnson is a 4th option guy.

224) Kevin Dorsey, WR, Maryland
OK, this is a massive reach even for this late in the draft. I understand needing receivers but there were other, better options available that could have actually contributed in the passing game.

232) Sam Barrington, LB, South Florida
Last pick, nice depth addition.

UDFA) None to note.

Packers had a fantastic draft. Outside of round 7, they never reached, they actually got some nice steals at nearly every pick. They added a new dynamic to their offense with actual talent at running back and bolstered the glaring weaknesses in their defense. I would have liked to see a little more attention to the secondary but it’s hard to pass on the players that were available for them.

Minnesota Vikings

23) Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
I’m in the minority here but I don’t think this was a steal. It was a great pick, do not get me wrong, absolutely fantastic pick for the Vikings, but it wasn’t a steal. I was never on board with Floyd as the top DT in the draft, let alone a top overall player. He’s a great player, but not as good as a few other DTs in this draft (Star and Richardson) and definitely not worth the #3 overall pick as many had him. With all of that said, as I already stated, great pick in the end, the RIGHT RANGE to draft Floyd and fills a need.

25) Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
I had completely forgot that the Vikings needed corner help so when this pick happened, I face palmed pretty hard for not predicting it. Rhodes is a big, physical corner that should bolster the Vikings secondary drastically.

29) Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
Again, I’m in the minority here, but I don’t like this move as much as others. The Vikings gave up more than I would have liked to see them give up for Patterson. He’s such a raw prospect and with other talents available (Hunter, Allen, etc) that you know you’re getting a proven stud, I just hesitate to fall in love with this pick. Still a good move as they needed receiving help even with the addition of Greg Jennings, but still, I can’t help but to question what they’ll get in Patterson, hopefully a star.

120) Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State
A Penn State LB, need I say more? They really needed to fill a massive hole at OLD and Hodges does that.

155) Jeff Locke, P, UCLA
PunterInRound5/10

196) Jeff Baca, G, UCLA
This is a good spot to draft Baca and he does have some talent. He can compete for the starting job right away in Minnesota so that’s great value at this point in the draft (or a bad sign that Minny’s current guards suck that bad)

213) Michael Mauti, ILB, Penn State
Again, Penn State LB. The Vikings also needed interior LB help so why not stick with Penn State? Mauti is a great talent and at this late in the draft, it’s a great pick.

214) Travis Bond, G, North Carolina
Another guard, depth guy, not much more.

229) Everett Dawkins, DT, Florida State
The Vikings needed to get two DTs so it’s a good move to grab a top one and a developmental one. The better part though is the fact that Dawkins should have gone in the third or fourth round so this late is a major steal. Great pick.

UDFA) Brandan Bishop, S, N.C. State; Zach Line, RB, SMU
Bishop is actually quite the talented safety and I believe he can win out the starting spot next to Smith. Line is actually a fullback but he was the best one in this draft. A few FBs were drafted so it’s a great addition for the Vikings to snag Line as an UDFA to help open up holes for AP.

Vikings put together a great draft. Although I question some thoughts from other people, what the Vikings did was undeniable. They had a fantastic draft, got themselves some great talent and filled a lot of major needs. They had a span where they didn’t pick for nearly 100 selections and still put together an incredible list of prospects.

May 2 2013 06:41pm
NFC East

Dallas Cowboys

31) Travis Frederick, G/C, Wisconsin
I’m glad the Cowboys traded back and didn’t over draft someone, well, the first part of that was true anyway…. Will Jerry Jones just die already and stop ruining a once great team? Frederick is a solid enough player but the Cowboys could have very easily drafted someone of the same talent level, if not Frederick himself, with their third round pick.

47) Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State
Why don’t I just copy and paste my thoughts on Frederick and just change the name. Escobar is a solid enough player but the Cowboys could have very easily drafted someone of the same talent level, if not Escobar himself, with their third round pick.

74) Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
Finally a proper pick value wise. Hey, at least the Cowboys can say they got 3 third round talents, the problem is they used a first, second and third on them. :-/

80) J.J. Wilcox, S, Georgia Southern
Love it so much. Wilcox was in my top 5 overall safeties and the Cowboys really needed safety help so this is a great pick imo. I have no doubts in my mind that Wilcox will be competing for a starting job.

114) B.W. Webb, CB, William & Mary
Here we go Cowboys, stringing together a few quality picks. Webb was another very underrated player in my book. He comes from a small school so it’s no surprise he was slightly looked over, that’s just how it goes sometimes. He has all the skills you want in a corner so he could very easily earn the second spot next to Claiborne.

151) Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State
Are we done with this DeMarco Murray shit yet? I was never on that wagon because he was injury prone before the NFL and guess what? He’s still injury prone in the NFL lol. Randle was once touted as the top back in this draft. He fell not because of his own short comings but because so many others raised their stock. This is a very nice quality pick by the Cowboys.

185) DeVonte Holloman, OLB, South Carolina
FINALLY! What the fuck are the Cowboys doing? Did they forget that they’re switching to a scheme they have very little personnel for? The good news here is that Holloman can probably win out the starting spot on the Cowboys, the bad news is that it’s because they don’t have other 4-3 OLB options.

UDFA) None to note.

Ugggh, Cowboy fans I’d be really irritated if I was you. On one hand, JJ just wasted your first 2 picks that could have been spent on some much needed improvements on defense. On the other hand, Frederick is a solid player and should be able to start and bolster the interior of your line immediately while Escobar has some learning to do but he’ll be a very nice compliment to Witten until Witten calls it quits and Escobar steps in as the #1. Webb and Wilcox are great additions to help that secondary and they should make immediate impacts. I really don’t understand the lack of 4-3 line and LB picks, I guess they’re confident in what they have so we’ll see.

Overall Team Draft Grade – C-

New York Giants

19) Justin Pugh, OT/G, Syracuse
Pugh is versatile and can play either guard position very well and maybe right tackle. Some say he can play left tackle but I don’t see it. This was a reach but not a huge one. It was more of a surprise than anything with some of the top defensive talent on the board. You don’t often see the Giants reach for a need and pass on top talent but it happened here. They must have been very worried about their OL.
PS: If anyone was wondering, you pronounce his name “Pew”. I heard announcers say “Poo” and “Pug” but it’s “Pew”. I’m guilty of the Pug one too though. :)

49) Johnathan Hankins, NT, Ohio State
This is the right range for Hankins and it fills a bit of a need. The Giants made some DT moves in free agency but they are always looking to load up on DL picks and stock pile players so it makes a lot of sense.

81) Damonte Moore, DE, Texas A&M
I knew Moore would fall but never imagined he’d fall this far. Great pick up by the Giants because it fills a need and has extreme value at this late in the draft. Excellent pick.

110) Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse
I think a lot of people questioned this pick simply because it was a shock at first but after some time to really think about it, they realized it was a nice move. Nassib was gaining a lot of momentum going into the draft and the Giants needed a better backup. They can let him sit for however long they choose behind Eli, learn the ways to play, use him if ever needed and if not, can ship him out to a QB needy team later on. Good pick.

152) Cooper Taylor, S, Richmond
I really like Cooper Taylor a lot. I feel he was very underrated and should have gone earlier than this. I’m a little surprised the Giants addressed the safety position before corner but it is what it is. They needed depth to fill the hole left by Kenny Phillips.

225) Eric Herman, G, Ohio
Herman fits this range and could compete for a starting guard job if they use Pugh at tackle. That’s good and bad news. Good news they got a potential starter this late, bad news that their current is so bad he could be pushed out by a prospect selected this late.

253) Michael Cox, RB, UMass
Depth guy behind David Wilson if they can’t keep Andre Brown.

UDFA) None to note.

Giants put together a nice draft. Reached a bit in the first to fill a need but not too much. Drafted some nice talent in the next few rounds, sured up the backup QB position and got some depth/developmental guys. You can’t ask for too much more in a draft class.

Overall Team Draft Grade – B

Philadelphia Eagles

4) Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
This is a great pick and a scary pick. Johnson fits Kelly’s scheme perfectly. He’s incredibly athletic for his size and should upgrade the Eagles’ line immediately. The scary part is how Johnson got selected with the 4th overall pick. He rose up draft boards quickly after the college season was over. He was viewed as a late first, second round prospect. He rose late, that’s always a scary thing because he rose to his combine and workouts. It happens every year with a few guys and most of them tend to not be what they were advertised as. We’ll see how it turns out, it’s a risk/reward situation and the reward far outweighs the risk, but it’s something to keep in mind.

35) Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
Proper range for Ertz, he fits the system, Kelly loves his tight ends, he’s a great player and he’s going to be a great weapon for whoever they have at QB.

67) Bennie Logan, DT, LSU
I was wondering when they’d make this pick. They needed a true NT for their 3-4 and guess what, they didn’t get it still. Logan is a not a NT, he’s barely a 4-3 DT so I don’t know what the Eagles will do in their new scheme. Maybe Logan can figure it out, but I doubt it highly.

98) Matt Barkley, QB, USC
Let me quote WalterFootball real quick. “This makes very little sense. Matt Barkley does not fit Chip Kelly's offense at all. In fact, he's a lot like Nick Foles, so I don't understand why the Eagles would make this selection. It appears as though the Eagles will utilize the West Coast offense under Kelly, so why even bring Kelly in as your head coach? I like the value with Barkley, but this pick is pretty illogical.” I couldn’t have said it better myself. If Kelly will change his scheme to fit his players, why not just keep Reid around because Barkley fit’s Reid’s system perfectly. Incredible value at this point in the draft in Barkley, just makes little sense to me.

136) Earl Wolff, S, N.C. State
Great pick imo. Wolff is dumb as fuck, I’ll get that out of the way now. No, seriously, I’m convinced the kid is borderline retarded if not full on. The guy is dumb. That said, he’s still a great football player so I love this pick. The Eagles finally draft a mid-round safety with talent haha. :)

212) Joe Kruger, DE/DT, Utah
Love love love this pick! He fills a huge need that the Eagles needed to fill with the scheme change and has great value at this point in the draft. Excellent selection by the Eagles.

218) Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
How did this happen? I had Poyer as a second round, maybe third round prospect and he falls this far? Very incredible pickup for the Eagles this late in the draft and fills a major need. I can see Poyer starting week 1.

239) David King, DE, Oklahoma
Last pick depth filler.

UDFA) Brad Wing, P, LSU
Wing was the top punter in this draft in most people’s eyes so this is a nice addition.

Overall the Eagles had a nice draft. Some questions need to be answered but that will only happen with time to see how the players develop. I personally think the selection of Logan was a major flop with guys like John Jenkins, Brandon Williams and Jesse Williams available. All of which could have gone at that pick and no one would question he value and all can be true NTs. Still, they got some nice steals in Poyer and Kruger that fill needs. If they would have taken a better NT in round 3, would have been an A+.

Washington Redskins

51) David Amerson, DB, N.C. State
This was too easy. I had this pick mocked to the Skins for months and months haha. Amerson is a very nice talent who had a down year. I don’t know if the Skins plan to play him at corner or safety but either way he’s a definite upgrade to their pedestrian secondary.

85) Jordan Reed, TE, Florida
The Skins didn’t have enough picks to make a selection like this. They have a serviceable TE already so taking a talent like Reed isn’t something they should have done. With that said, Reed is a nice talent so it’s a good value pick, just not a wise one.

119) Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State
I’ve been pretty high on Thomas for a while now so I like this pick. He has really nice value here and honestly can play either safety spot very well so it’s a good, versatile, talented selection and fills a need.

154) Chris Thompson, RB, Florida State
I know Shanahan likes his running backs but the Redskins had needs that they needed to address and this was not one of them. Can’t praise this pick even if Thompson turns into this year’s Alfred Morris.

162) Brandon Jenkins, DE/OLB, Florida State
With Orakpo healthy, Jenkins will be a serviceable backup. He is a quality pass rusher and could still see a lot of play time in a rotation. He has nice value at this point in the draft as well.

191) Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
With the selections of Thomas and Rambo, the Skins have to be planning Amerson to play corner so that answers that question. This is how bad their secondary was last year, this next year, they’re probably going to be starting 3 rookies in their secondary lol. Rambo has great value this late in the draft and he’s a very nice talent who will fit in well next to Thomas.

228) Jawan Jamison, RB, Rutgers
Seriously Shanahan, calm down with the running backs lol. It’s no surprise and Jamison has amazing value this late in the draft but like with the selection of Reed, the Skins had other needs to address before taking luxury picks such as this.

UDFA) Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida
I have Nixon as a 5th round prospect so snagging him as an UDFA is a nice grab. He also fills a need and can push for the starting RT spot.

The Skins had an average draft. They drafted a lot of nice players but they drafted players that didn’t fill needs which is an issue. They really improved their secondary though which had to be the key need for this draft. They should have addressed the WR position before taking a TE and 2 RBs. This is a tough one to grade, good players selected but left a few needs on the table.

May 2 2013 06:42pm
NFC South

Atlanta Falcons

22) Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
Atlanta had a glaring need for corner help this past season so they addressed it. Simple, right? Lol. Desmond Trufant was my #2 corner in this draft after DJ Hayden. Trufant should have absolutely no issue starting from day 1 and should emerge as a very talented corner for the Falcons for years to come.

60) Robert Alford, CB, Southeastern Louisiana
If Alford had been taken in the first round, I would not have been shocked so being selected at this point in the draft gives him incredible value. He is a very talented corner who will provide solid depth for now, be a serviceable third corner and eventually be able to start next to Trufant whenever Asante is gone.

126) Mallichia Goodman, DE, Clemson
Even with the Osi signing, the Falcons needed to get a DE and they got a good one. Goodman fits this range value wise and he has a ton of upside. He’ll be a nice addition to this defense.

133) Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford
I love this pick. I’m a major Toilolo fan boy and for him to go be able to learn behind the greatest to ever play the TE position is even better. He has some flaws and a lot of room to grow and his height may be a concern to some, but I think if the kid puts on his hard hat, goes to work everyday and learns all he can from TGonz, he’ll be able to step in and start whenever Tony calls it a career.

153) Stansly Maponga, DE, TCU
Another quality pick for the Falcons. They add some depth now to a very thin DE group so nice selection. Maponga has some solid talent but isn’t ready to be a starter so this is a quality pick since he won’t have to start right away.

243) Kemal Ishmael, DB, Central Florida
I don’t know much about Ishmael other than he’s probably not going to ever do much outside of special teams which as I’ve stated multiple times already is not a bad thing, you need those guys on your team.

244) Zeke Motta, S, Notre Dame
I love Motta, I think he can actually emerge as a starter for the Falcons eventually. He also provides great value this late in the draft.

249) Sean Renfree, QB, Duke
Obviously they don’t need a starter but Renfree has a great head on his shoulders. Maybe not all the talent in the world, but his intelligence at playing the QB position is matched by none in this draft. He can develop and be traded off for a future pick. Nice final selection by the Falcons.

UDFA) None to note.

With all of the quality running backs that fell in this draft, I really expected the Falcons to grab a back at some point in time. SJax still has some fuel in the tank but he’s running low so a new young guy could have been drafted. They got a couple as UDFA so maybe they found a diamond in the rough. Other than that, very solid draft head to toe by the Falcons. Took some incredibly talented players and filled a lot of their needs. I’m also surprised they didn’t grab any LB help either but they didn’t need it as bad as secondary and pass rush so it’s understandable, their UDFA LBs should do the trick depth wise.

Carolina Panthers

14) Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
The Panthers just sat back and let the dumb teams make dumb picks and allowed the best DT in the draft to fall to them at 14. They really needed a DT and would have been very happy getting Richardson but when Lotulelei was available to them, they probably nutted in their pants over the thought of this. Great great pick.

44) Kawann Short, DT, Purdue
If this draft wasn’t so filled with DL talent, Short would have been a first round selection so he has very nice value here. He also fills a need. I don’t mind the Panthers taking back to back DTs one bit. They needed to replace both of theirs so it’s a great move. Lotulelei and Short should provide immediate upgrades to the position and really bolster that defense.

108) Edmund Kugbila, G, Valdosta State
Who? Really, no clue who this is. Looks like he was barely a draftable prospect in most eyes so I don’t understand. But the Panthers did need to at least provide some competition at the position so it’s a whatever pick.

148) A.J. Klein, ILB Iowa State
Klein was projected to go earlier than this so there’s some nice value. He won’t be a starter but he’ll provide some very nice depth to a very thin LB corps.

182) Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon
Just going to copy Walt because he says it all. “DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart are both immensely overpaid, so one of them will have to go soon. Once that happens, Kenjon Barner will be a nice change-of-pace back. No surprise that he went around the sixth frame.”

UDFA) Robert Lester, S, Alabama
I can’t believe Lester went undrafted. I know he wasn’t as high on some people’s boards as he was on mine but goddamn undrafted? Well that’s great for Carolina. Lester at worst will provide some extremely talented depth at the position and help on special teams.

Aside from the Kugbila pick, the Panthers had a very nice draft. They selected great talent that fell to them, filled needs and even snagged a great talent as an UDFA. They had very few picks so you couldn’t expect them to fill every need of theirs in this draft alone.

New Orleans Saints

15) Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
The Saints had to get a safety in this draft and they got the top one in most people’s eyes. He fills a need, fits the range and is an immediate upgrade over what they have now. Not much more to say.

75) Terron Armstead, OT, Arkansas Pine-Bluff
Armstead is very raw but very talented. He could have easily gone in the first but he fell for whatever reason. There is incredible value here and it fills a need. I hope the Saints don’t ask him to start right away because he’ll be eaten alive by NFL pass rushers but give him some time to develop and he could be an elite tackle. Shit, you know what, fuck it, Saints, start him right away. Drew Brees made Bushrod look like a top notch LT, let Armstead step in and start right away, Brees will take care of the rest.

82) John Jenkins, NT, Georgia
Saints are switching to a 3-4 so they needed a true NT. Jenkins could have gone in the first round and no one would have thought it to be weird. The Saints get him this late and get an amazing steal.

144) Kenny Still, WR, Oklahoma
Good value here, not a huge need but definitely an upgrade so it’s a good move.

183) Rufus Johnson, DE/OLB, Tarleton State
This is a reach but the Saints needed to get a rush linebacker to fit into their 3-4. Johnson probably isn’t the answer to that need but with so few picks, they did what they could.

UDFA) Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina; Rod Sweeting, CB, Georgia Tech; Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford
Reddick should have been a 4th round selection so this is an amazing value pick up by the Saints as an UDFA. Sweeting should have gone in the 5th or so and the Saints needed help and depth at corner so another amazing value UDFA. Finally Thomas actually could be the answer for the Saints at rush linebacker. Look for him to be a starter week 1.

Overall, the Saints killed this draft. With so few picks they just did their thing, selected solid talent and filled needs. Then they got some absolute steals in UDFAs that all could contribute on their team just as much as anyone they actually drafted. Great draft for the Saints that should really help them turn the team around.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

43) Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
There is a lot to dislike about Banks’ game but since he won’t have to be the guy since Revis is there now, it’s a great pick. This along with their young guys from last year really sures up the corner position for the Bucs. Their entire secondary went from their biggest liability to their greatest strength.

73) Mike Glennon, QB, N.C. State
OK, when I was reading some of Walt’s draft analysis, this made me lol. “Greg Schiano absolutely hates Josh Freeman” haha. Always good to have your coaches confidence when you’re a young QB. Well, Glennon is a project but he has upside. I think the Bucs could have addressed a more glaring issue and then taken a QB next year if they really wanted to move on from Freeman, but it is what it is.

100) Akeem Spence, DT, Illinois
This is the right range for Spence so it’s solid value and fills exactly what the Bucs needed in a DT. It’s a very good combination of value and need.

126) William Gholston, DE, Michigan State
Gholston probably should have been off the board already so some nice value here. He also fits the scheme perfectly on the left side so this is another all around sound pick.

147) Steven Means, DE, Buffalo
After Gholston this doesn’t fill a need, is a big reach for Means and he isn’t even really a good depth guy so it’s a fairly derp pick.

189) Mike James, RB, Miami
Makes perfect sense. Moved Blount, no depth behind Dougie, grab a late round guy to fill that depth chart.

UDFA) Montel Harris, RB, Temple
Harris is a more talented back than James is but I expect Tampa to keep both of them behind Dougie.

The Buccs had a nice draft. If you include the Revis trade they had an incredible draft (but I’m not including it lol). They filled a lot of their needs with a lot of talent. Outside of the Means selection, they didn’t have any questionable picks. I’m surprised they didn’t get a tight end though. They went on and on prior to the draft about how they wanted a young tight end. It’s not like they were blowing smoke about one player, they just said they wanted one in general so I figured they’d go for one but it is what it is.

OK, that's everything. Go ahead and hate away now. Every team had a very solid draft. I don't think I gave out anything under the Bills D+ and that was the only one. Last year I had 2 F's and a few D's I believe so this was a good draft all around.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 98,744.00
Trader: Trusted
May 2 2013 06:43pm
I wish I had the drive on school work that you do on the work you do on the draft.

Very nice Randy
Gold: 1,255.00
May 2 2013 06:43pm
Jesse Williams was my favorite pick we had, kid is a fucking monster

Christine fills a small need we have, but nothing like "omg fuck turbin sucks ass replace him now", give lynch the workload and split time between turbin/michael
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll