d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > 2013 Nfl Draft Analysis
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.68
May 2 2013 07:41pm
Good read :thumbsup:
Gold: 0.00
May 2 2013 07:54pm
Haven't had time to read through any yet, but a big :thumbsup: for your efforts!
Gold: 0.01
May 2 2013 08:26pm
I honestly feel like the bears could have had the best draft in the nfl had they taken brown > bostic and Floyd > long.

I don't dislike either of those picks, I just think they would have had an overall better draft.
Gold: 41,504.11
May 2 2013 08:39pm
as far as i know, BJ daniels is going to be used like slash but with less qb than everyone thinks
rb/wr whatever the fuck else he can do
Gold: 90.00
May 2 2013 08:48pm
Quote (Diggins @ May 2 2013 08:26pm)
I honestly feel like the bears could have had the best draft in the nfl had they taken brown > bostic and Floyd > long.

I don't dislike either of those picks, I just think they would have had an overall better draft.

I like bostic a lot, but brown would probably made a lot more sense since they're playing GB 2x a year.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
May 2 2013 08:54pm
Read about 3/4 of your entire analysis, was gud.

Questions:

1) The Ohio St. DE we drafted, John Simon... I head a lot of people compare him to Jarret Johnson, but I thought Simon was more of a rush the passer kind of guy who wasn't good vs the run. Are people just comparing him to JJ because he's a white DE that we might move to Strong-side LB? lol, or am I just wrong about him.

2) The FB we drafted, Kyle Juszczyk... is he more like a FB/TE? I thought I remembered him getting a lot of catches at Harvard (for a FB). Just wondering if you might see him as a guy who will line up in the slot at all as a TE.
Gold: 9,000.00
Warn: 30%
May 2 2013 09:27pm
Quote (Terps @ May 2 2013 09:54pm)

Questions:

1) The Ohio St. DE we drafted, John Simon... I head a lot of people compare him to Jarret Johnson, but I thought Simon was more of a rush the passer kind of guy who wasn't good vs the run. Are people just comparing him to JJ because he's a white DE that we might move to Strong-side LB? lol, or am I just wrong about him.

2) The FB we drafted, Kyle Juszczyk... is he more like a FB/TE? I thought I remembered him getting a lot of catches at Harvard (for a FB). Just wondering if you might see him as a guy who will line up in the slot at all as a TE.

Juszczyk is more of a TE then a FB, but he can block very well too, will be interesting where they line him up.
Gold: 14,000.00
May 2 2013 09:59pm
Quote (Randolph @ May 2 2013 05:38pm)
2) Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
OK, this is a long one so hang in there with me.  This is just really a bad pick.  I really did not think the Jags would go with a tackle for a lot of reasons.  The largest is that, whether it’s Joeckel or Fisher, the Jags are going to be playing this tackle at right tackle.  You do not draft a right tackle with the #2 overall pick.  Now, the reasoning is that Monroe only has 1 (or 2? I don’t remember exactly) years left on his contract.  OK, so what?  Resign him lol.  There’s been zero indications that he doesn’t want to resign with the Jags and why wouldn’t he?  The Jaguars are most certainly moving in the right direction and acquiring talent.  After they get Johnny Football or Teddy next year, they’re going to be a force to be reckoned with.  So, why take this tackle then?  Well, now if they keep Monroe, they have a very dominate duo at the tackle positions.  But you don’t draft a freaking right tackle with the second overall pick, even if he’s the most talented player in this draft (and that’s a debate for another time because Joeckel is not lol).  There’s a reason, at the point in time this pick was made, that Andre Smith, Tyson Clabo and Eric Winston were all available free agents.  The right tackle position is just not viewed as as big of a need now.  The Jaguars have shit tons of cap space so it’s not like they had to do this for money purposes so it makes no sense.  Especially when a dynamic player like Dion Jordan, who fits the Jags defense perfectly, was sitting there.  My question is, if the Chiefs went Joeckel, and this was Fisher, would they have still made the pick?  Either way, I hate this pick.  It’s going to be fine because Joeckel will be a solid tackle, but it was a waste for the Jags and I was so excited to see them have a great draft because they’re just a few pieces away.

33) Johnathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
Well, this was a nice pick haha.  I had Cyprien as a mid-first round prospect so top of the second gives him solid value.  This kid is going to emerge as the top safety from this class so I’m glad he’s going to a team that I like.

64) Dwayne Gratz, CB, Connecticut
The Jags needed help at corner badly but there was better talent available than Gratz.  That’s not saying Gratz isn’t a good corner, there were just better options available.  But the Jags clearly liked Gratz the most so hopefully it works out.

101) Ace Sanders, WR, South Carolina
Threat in the slot, threat in the return game, great compliment to Blackmon, just trying to figure out how the football is going to get into Sanders hands.  :P

135) Denard Robinson, Who The Fuck Knows, Michigan
Seriously, who the fuck knows.  Robinson was a QB in college, worked as a WR at the combine, scouted as a kick returner, listed as a corner in most teams eyes and then announced as a RB when the Jaguars drafted him lol.  I like it though; they can use him in a few ways, see what works best and stick with it.  Probably a career kick and punt return man though, which isn’t a bad thing by any means.

169) Josh Evans, S, Florida
I like this pick a lot.  Evans is very underrated and was overshadowed by Matt Elam.  The Jaguars are getting quite the steal here imo.  Going to be weird to see them starting 2 rookie safeties week 1.  :)

208) Jeremy Harris, CB, New Mexico State
Harris is a big tall corner who fits the range for this pick.  He’s going to be a good guy depth wise and a solid contributor on at least 2 or 3 of the coverage teams.

210) Demetrius McCray, CB, Appalachian State
Of the three corners the Jaguars drafted, their best one came with their last pick.  Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if we see McCray starting week 1.

2) Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
#2 is high for a RT, but if he is everything everybody says he is, then we'll have 2 high level bookend tackles. So B)

33) Johnathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
Not a lot really needs to be said here that most of us don't already know. He'll step in at SS from day 1. Is solid in coverage, but will spend most of his time up and in/around the box. He will be the big hitter on the Defense. I told multiple people not to be surprised if he was our pick at #33 before the 2nd round started. I loved the pick of course.

64) Dwayne Gratz, CB, Connecticut
Me and Draino were talking about this last night and I'll just post here the same thing I said to him.....

On the Gratz pick. After Gratz was selected, Caldwell was asked about the pick. Caldwell said Gratz was the last starting quality Corner left on their board. Of course he had more Corners on his board, but he said Gratz was the last Corner on their board that they thought could come in from day 1 and start.

Gratz isn't the most sexiest CB pick( I actually liked the other CB on UConn more. Blidi Wreh-Wilson), but the guy can play. He's a very strong and physical, Press-Man Cover Corner that we want in our Defensive scheme. He had the most bench press reps of all CBs with 22 reps.

This is what Mayock said after the selection...

"That fits. What he'll do in Jacksonville is he'll be an immediate starter." -- Mike Mayock

101) Ace Sanders, WR, South Carolina
I love the Ace Sanders pick. He will compete with Shipley for time in the slot, but Ace will have full Punt Return duties from day 1. I'd have to imagine he'll be the other person on Kick Returns with Denard.

135) Denard Robinson, Who The Fuck Knows, Michigan
I did not like the Robinson pick then and I still don't. I think Caldwell has a bit of a man crush on him. He should be one of the main Kick Returners, but after that its up in the air. I'd have to imagine they plan on playing him at RB, like they said, but it will be interesting to see how they work him into the Offense.

169) Josh Evans, S, Florida
Trying to watch game cut up of Elam and Evans flashed just as much as him. The thing that stood out about Elam vs Evans though, is when Elam hit somebody, you knew it. Evans is a 3rd-4th round talent and we got him in the 6th. Caldwell said that if we didn't get Cyprien, that Evans was the next guy on his board to play that position. I see Evans helping on ST right away, while being the back up to Cyprien. I don't think he'll beat out Dwight Lowery at FS. Lowery can flat out play and will fill the Earl Thomas, Single High "role" perfect. Of course he isn't on Thomas' level, but he's still a good safety.

208) Jeremy Harris, CB, New Mexico State
Harris I don't know much about. Big, long corner. 34 inch long arms, 6'2 182 lbs. Ideal looking corner for Bradley's Defensive scheme.

210) Demetrius McCray, CB, Appalachian State
The McCray pick I got a kick out of. I really liked this pick. McCray really caught my eye at the Combine. Same build type as Jeremy Harris. Big, long corner. 34 inch long arms, 6'1, 190 lbs. Although what caught my eye at the combine, was for a long guy, he had pretty fluid hips. He also caught the ball very well. He looked good in all of the drills.
Gold: 14,000.00
May 2 2013 10:04pm
Quote (Terps @ May 2 2013 07:54pm)

Questions:

Yes Kyle is a beast. He'll be one of those hybrid types. FB/TE. Dude can play, he was one of the guys I really hoped we drafted. Although I got no problem with Lonnie Pryor as a UDFA ^_^
Gold: 714.00
May 3 2013 01:32am
Quote (Randolph @ May 2 2013 07:38pm)
AFC East

Miami Dolphins

3) Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon
OK so the Dolphins shocked us all with this pick.  They have to be thinking one of two things because Jordan does not fit in a 4-3.  They are either moving to a 3-4 (which is a great idea, they have ideal personnel for it) or they’re thinking Jordan can act as Von Miller does for Denver in the 4-3.  Jordan is nowhere near the talent that Von is so that plan hopefully isn’t the one they’re thinking.  Either way, I don’t fault the Dolphins for this pick.  It’s clear that Jordan has talent, but #3 overall?  I don’t know about that.  But, I don’t think Lane Johnson was the right pick for the Dolphins either so I don’t know.  They clearly had Jordan as one of the top players in this draft, if not the top player, so they got the guy they wanted.

54) Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State
Fantastic pick.  Taylor could have very easily gone in the late first round so he has incredible value here.  Taylor is a very talented corner and unless someone is escaping my mind, should be the most talented corner on the Dolphins’ roster right now.

77) Dallas Thomas, G/OT, Tennessee
OK, so Dallas Thomas is a talented guard, maybe right tackle, but did the Phins forget they have no answer for the huge hole at left tackle?  Now, while Thomas was the most talented OL piece on the board, there were a couple of tackles who could emerge as viable left tackles in the NFL that were taken after this pick (Jordan Mills [163], Ricky Wagner [168], Garret Gilkey [227], Luke Maquardt [UDFA]).  Can’t fault the Phins for taking a top talent, just don’t understand why when any of the other mentioned players are better options and, regardless of their actual draft position, could have been taken here.

93) Will Davis, CB, Utah
This may have been a round early for Davis but I’m a fan so I like it.  He’s not going to wow anyone with his play but he’ll make for a very solid 3rd corner on the depth chart and contribute on special teams.  Hell, he could win out the second starting spot in all reality.

104) Jelani Jenkins, OLB, Florida
OK, the Dolphins keep taking players I like a lot, but they don’t make sense.  Jenkins is better suited for a 4-3 but then that makes the Dion Jordan pick even more strange.  I like Jenkins a lot, if the Dolphins stick with their 4-3 and play Jordan at the end, then Jenkins can win a starting spot.  If they switch to a 3-4 then they just drafted themselves a special teams captain (that’s a good thing btw if anyone thinks I’m knocking that, I’m not).

106) Dion Sims, TE, Michigan State
Dion Sims played great for Michigan State and even though they signed Keller, he’s just a rental and Sims can probably take him down in the depth chart.  Tannehill probably wet his pants over this pick.

164) Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida
Running backs fell harder in this draft than quarterbacks did.  I don’t understand that because running backs actually had talent in this draft whereas quarterbacks did not.  Gillislee is a fast and powerful runner.  He’s much stronger than he looks and should be able to challenge Lamar Miller for the starting job week 1 if not win it out.

166) Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida
Carp was becoming unreliable but this was still too early for a kicker.  Sturgis is an upgrade though so it helps to not make this a total busted pick.

250) Don Jones, S, Arkansas
Nice depth/developmental pick.  Jones had a lot of predraft buzz so it’s a surprise he went so late.

UDFA) None to mention.

All in all the Dolphins had themselves a nice little draft.  They got some guys who should make an immediate impact on both sides of the ball.  The problem lies in how the players fit their scheme.  The best bet is to move to a 3-4 and then this draft grade would jump to an A, but for now, it stays here.

Overall Team Draft Grade – B+

blah...

Arkansas State not Arkansas!!!

either way nice write up. just giving u shit.
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
Prev123456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll