d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > My 2014 Mock Draft 2.0
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.27
Oct 1 2013 11:09pm
Draft order was taken from here - http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2014.php

As usual, feel free to comment, critique, ask questions, etc.

1) Jacksonville – Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

The Jaguars and their fans have to be ready to give up on Gabbert by now. Henne isn’t much of an upgrade. Get the top rated QB in this class, build around him and move forward. They have a ton of pieces already but without a QB, they won’t be doing anything.

2) Tampa Bay – Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

Tampa sees some future in Mike Glennon so they elect to protect him rather than go for a different QB or Clowney. Penn isn’t very good, out of shape and expensive.

3) Oakland – Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

The Raiders just need talent. Pryor looks capable and with time to grow might become something. Clowney is widely considered the best player in this draft (not by me though ;) ) so he will vastly improve their inept defense.

4) St. Louis – Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

Lewan is every bit as talented as Jake Matthews and with Jake Long regressing at an incredibly fast rate (and unable to stay healthy) and Saffold being a free agent, the Rams will need to address the position.

5) New York Giants – Anthony Barr, DE/OLB, UCLA

Anthony Barr is the best player in this draft in my book. The Giants have some glaring holes all over their team so selecting a top talent at a position of need is the best move they can make.

6) Pittsburgh – Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama

Steelers fans may dislike this pick with the top wide receivers still on the board but how can you expect Ben to get the ball to that top receiver if he’s being sacked within seconds of snapping the ball? You can find receivers late, it’s rare to find top notch OL talent late.

7) St. Louis (from Washington) – Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Well isn’t this familiar. Last year it was get Bradford some weapons and protect Bradford. This year, it’s get Bradford some weapons and protect him. Although Austin is a talented receiver, he’s a slot guy. Watkins is an outside deep threat who can make all the catches.

8) Philadelphia – Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida

Purifoy was recently injured but it seems to be nothing. He’s big, physical and on par with guys like Patrick Peterson and Morris Claiborne when they were coming out of college. He does have some off the field issues which could be a huge red flag but if he can keep his shit together and continue to play well, he can easily be the next big time corner which Philly desperately needs.

9) New York Jets – Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

Holmes is overrated and probably done in New York, Hill is progressing nicely but they will still need to give Geno more weapons if they ever expect him to amount to anything.

10) Buffalo – Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington

The thought may be for Buffalo to go with some secondary help. Well, their secondary held up pretty damn well against Flacco and the Ravens this past week. With that said, the Bills decide to hold off on that and go for the big, talented TE from Washington, giving EJ Manuel a huge safety blanket and red zone threat.

11) Minnesota – Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame

It’s a shame Nix fell this far but he just wasn’t needed quite as much as some other guys/positions. They did get Floyd but they’ll likely need another DT because Williams will most likely be gone. Floyd and Nix can be the best DT duo in the league easily.

12) Cleveland – Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson

This won’t happen. Someone will move up (most likely move with St. Louis if Tampa doesn’t draft Boyd) but if things play out like this, Cleveland will jump at the chance to rebuild their team around Boyd.

13) Tennessee – Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

The Titans continued to boast about how they wanted a top notch, franchise level corner. Well they didn’t get one last year so with a lack of other needs available at this pick, they go with Roby. He’s in a battle with Purifoy for the top corner in this draft, both have their pros and cons and with Purifoy off the board, the Titans go with Roby.

14) Arizona – Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee

Richardson might have some growing to do but he can definitely turn into a top notch starting left tackle in this league. As said, he’s not at the same level as the top 3 tackles at the moment, but he has tons of potential. In 2012, Dallas Thomas was a very solid tackle prospect for the Volunteers, Richardson played at such a high level and so well than they moved Thomas inside to guard so Richardson could play LT.

15) Carolina – Marqise Lee, WR, USC

Steve Smith is getting old, Brandon LaFell isn’t developing at the pace many (myself very much included) thought and their offense is struggling. With their defense emerging as a potent weapon for them, the Panthers can help Cam Newton with a new target. Look for potentially a new weakside LB here with Beason potentially done (sad :( ).

16) San Diego – Khalil Mack, DE/OLB, Buffalo

San Diego’s defense is still pretty weak. Getting Te’o in there should help quite a bit but they still need help. Mack is a potent pass rusher that can put his hand in the ground or stand up. The Chargers could use him very much like Denver uses Von Miller.

17) Houston – Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

Keeping the boy in Texas. Schaub leads the Texans to yet another disappointing playoff loss (if they even get to the playoffs) and they finally decide to get his replacement.

18) Cleveland (from Indianapolis) – Jason Verrett, CB, TCU

No offensive weapons worth taking, I was told to not mock an pass rushers here so the Browns upgrade Buster Skrine (don’t feel bad, I had to look him up too) starting across from Haden.

19) Chicago – Ra’shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota

Melton tore his ACL and is a free agent so instead of keeping him the Bears go with Hageman at this pick who is also the BPA.

20) Atlanta –C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

Outside of Weatherspoon, Atlanta’s linebackers are fucking horrible. Mosley is very talented and very versatile so he will be an immediate boost to their starting group.

21) Dallas – Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU

Honestly, who the fuck knows? I’m going go with most people and assume that Jerry Jones realizes the Cowboys need a better guy for the middle of the DL. But what will most likely happen is the Cowboys will trade down to the end of the first and draft a third round level receiver or something.

22) Cincinnati – Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State

BPA at an area of need. Could also be AJ Johnson.

23) Baltimore – Haha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama

Baltimore needs a FS, Clinton-Dix is the BPA and the best safety in the draft, it’s a no brainer.

24) Detroit – Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

After a long list of failing WR2s, the Lions finally lock down their receiver across from Megatron.

25) Miami – James Hurst, OT, North Carolina

If I recall correctly, Tannehill has been sacked more than any QB in the league not playing for the Jaguars. Martin is solid, but he’s a RT in this league. Hurst is a legitimate franchise LT. He may not be ready to start right away but given a little bit of time, he can dominate. Maybe start Martin on the left, Hurst on the right and when the time comes, flip them.

26) Kansas City – Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

Dwayne Bowe is the most overrated WR in the league (OK, he’s tied with Mike Wallace) so with a lack of need filling players available, the Chiefs bolster their receiving corps.

27) Green Bay – A.J. Johnson, ILB, Tennessee

With Bishop gone and Hawk showing his age, the Packers need to address the middle of their linebacking group. Johnson is up there with the best of them in this class and should make an immediate impact for the Packers.

28) New Orleans – Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor

The Saints try to salvage a run game out of their offense yet again. They let Ingram go, Thomas is getting old and Sproles isn’t an every down back. Seastrunk is an every down back though who can run, block, make catches with good strength and break away speed. Him and Sproles could make for a deadly one two punch.

29) New England – Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida

The Patriots put Talib on a short leash to make sure he performed to earn that big pay day. If they’re smart, they won’t give him that big pay day with the risk of him not performing anywhere near where he is now.

30) San Francisco – Kyle Van Noy, De/OLB, BYU

Who knows what awaits Aldon Smith in the future? The Niners protect their largest weapon (their defense) by filling the gap left by Smith with another dynamic pass rusher.

31) Seattle – Cameron Erving, OT, Florida State

Quote (Meeker @ Sep 27 2013 12:51am)
We have pretty glaring need(s) on the oline…..If the value is close, I'd like to see us grab an OT that can start at RT (Giacomini is a FA), but move over to LT Okung goes down.

Makes sense, player makes sense for the spot value wise, fills the need by someone who knows better than me.

32) Denver – Trent Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford

If Von Miller continues down his current path, the Broncos will be in need of a new stud pass rusher. Murphy is no Von Miller but he’s not a push over by any means either. At worst he’s a very solid depth piece who can rotate in and even steal a starting spot somewhere.

Previous mocks:

2014 v 1.0: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=68890136&f=204

2013 Final Mock: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=67113792&f=204
2013 Draft Analysis: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=67228920&f=204

2012 Draft Analysis: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=62247355&f=204
Gold: Locked
Oct 1 2013 11:11pm
Raiders need an OT. If you actually WATCH us play, you'll see that our front 7 is not too bad. We can get reasonable pressure and do pretty well against the run. Where we need help is the secondary and the O-line, and since DBs usually go late 1st/2nd round, it's likely that we'll either take an OT early or trade down for a DB.
Gold: 161.95
Warn: 90%
Oct 1 2013 11:16pm
I agree with CB, Skrine is a weak spot in an otherwise good defense

Not sold on rebuilding with a new QB yet tho :D
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Oct 1 2013 11:22pm
I love me sum Dix

Also Abbrederis, I've already proclaimed my man-crush on him.

This post was edited by Terps on Oct 1 2013 11:24pm
Oct 1 2013 11:39pm
Quote (Terps @ Oct 1 2013 10:22pm)
I love me sum Dix

Also Abbrederis, I've already proclaimed my man-crush on him.

Yeah I like him too. You don't see the big white boy receiver make it very often....ever lol.

Riley Cooper is the closest thing.
Gold: Locked
Oct 1 2013 11:49pm
Quote (Randolph @ Oct 1 2013 10:39pm)
Yeah I like him too.  You don't see the big white boy receiver make it very often....ever lol.

Kevin Curtis is also a white WR :P
Oct 1 2013 11:57pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Oct 1 2013 10:49pm)
Kevin Curtis is also a white WR :P

Big white receivers. Curtis is only like 5'11" -6'0" I think.

There's good small white receivers (Welker, Edleman, Amendola) but not many outside, big guys. They're all small slot guys.
Gold: 3.00
Oct 2 2013 12:09am
Iso barr or cowney or ot
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 10%
Oct 2 2013 12:19am
Quote (Randolph @ Oct 2 2013 01:39am)
Yeah I like him too.  You don't see the big white boy receiver make it very often....ever lol.

Did I see a white CB on Alabama? or was that a safety... Sunseri?

nvm, safety of course. not that I really care, just cant remember the last time I saw a white CB.

This post was edited by Terps on Oct 2 2013 12:20am
Oct 2 2013 12:22am
Quote (Terps @ Oct 1 2013 11:19pm)
Did I see a white CB on Alabama? or was that a safety... Sunseri?

nvm, safety of course. not that I really care, just cant remember the last time I saw a white CB.

The white corner is but a myth my friend. Fairy tales from years past.
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
1235Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll