d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Another Innocent Citizen Killed By Police > Shot In Her Own Home
Prev14567811Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Oct 14 2019 01:28pm
Quote (djman72 @ Oct 14 2019 02:26pm)
you're a bully.

the real bullying is typing 4 paragraph responses that only actually have a sentence of content. if offends my eyes.
Gold: 63,142.89
Oct 14 2019 01:30pm
Quote (fender @ Oct 14 2019 03:16pm)
it's pretty transparent that you're here to nitpick language in order to discredit the the common sense conclusion...

Common sense to me says that productive discussion should be focused on the thing that we all agree should and can change: when cops are not punished for failing to follow protocols, then they are not incentivized to follow those protocols better in the future. If we can create the perception that they are held professionally accountable for mistakes made on the job, then we can gain a clearer picture of how much significance the other factors have.

The most potent narrative coming out of this Fort Worth incident is the guy saying "it makes me not want to call the cops anymore". As time goes on, the seeds of distrust seem to be growing stronger. That is the outer layer of the problem that we can all agree needs to be worked on. Developing trust could have an effect on the racism issue.

Civilian gun ownership is a more complex, divisive inner layer. If our goal is to have a non-divisive conversation about that (which is a very tall task in 2019) one step toward that would be to gain clarity on the issue by removing some of the extraneous factors.

Trying to jump right to the gun control discussion is the antithesis of productivity in this case. It ensures maximum divisiveness and minimizes progress.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Oct 14 2019 01:33pm
Gold: 2,489.69
Oct 14 2019 01:54pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Oct 14 2019 02:30pm)
Common sense to me says that productive discussion should be focused on the thing that we all agree should and can change: when cops are not punished for failing to follow protocols, then they are not incentivized to follow those protocols better in the future. If we can create the perception that they are held professionally accountable for mistakes made on the job, then we can gain a clearer picture of how much significance the other factors have.

The most potent narrative coming out of this Fort Worth incident is the guy saying "it makes me not want to call the cops anymore". As time goes on, the seeds of distrust seem to be growing stronger. That is the outer layer of the problem that we can all agree needs to be worked on. Developing trust could have an effect on the racism issue.

Civilian gun ownership is a more complex, divisive inner layer. If our goal is to have a non-divisive conversation about that (which is a very tall task in 2019) one step toward that would be to gain clarity on the issue by removing some of the extraneous factors.

Trying to jump right to the gun control discussion is the antithesis of productivity in this case. It ensures maximum divisiveness and minimizes progress.

AGREED. like i said the cop should be jailed whether she had a gun in hand, near her, or no gun at all. the gun here wasn't the issue, it was the breaking of protocol.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Oct 14 2019 02:56pm
Quote (Kayeto @ 14 Oct 2019 21:30)

you are spot on about the one aspect we all agree on, police accountability. that does, however, not change the validity of my observation about the perceived threat that widespread gun ownership poses to law enforcement - regardless of your approval concerning my choice of words.
i'm completely on the side of those who argue that it should not, or that better training and mentality could minimise that problem, but trying to downplay or outright dismiss that part of the equation because it's uncomfortable and divisive is just spineless.

i'm not in the appeasing business, it's not my aim to appeal to those that might get offended by my opinion, and most importantly, i can do both: acknowledge the agreement we have regarding this case, while still pointing out the issue that predictably triggers my whole fanbase...

btw, the 'not trusting the police' is something especially minority communities have been struggling with for ages. the attention it justifiably gets nowadays can largely be attributed to technological advancements, with basically everyone having easy access to tools documenting police behaviour, revealing what has been swept under the rug for so long. so it's not like it hasn't been a problem, it's just being taken seriously now because we have access to undeniable proof, and don't have to exclusively rely on police policing itself.
Gold: 285.00
Oct 14 2019 03:00pm
They release the name of the officer or are they still covering this up?
Gold: 22,720.48
Oct 14 2019 03:03pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 14 2019 05:00pm)
They release the name of the officer or are they still covering this up?

They finally released his name after he resigned.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/14/fort-worth-police-shooting-atatiana-jefferson-investigation/

This post was edited by Arsenic_Touch on Oct 14 2019 03:04pm
Gold: 63,142.89
Oct 14 2019 03:15pm
Quote (fender @ Oct 14 2019 04:56pm)
i can do both: acknowledge the agreement we have regarding this case, while still pointing out the issue that predictably triggers my whole fanbase...

here's the catch though. You said:

Quote (fender @ Oct 14 2019 02:58pm)
it's up to anyone here really to bring it back on topic.

Which might be an ok start. But then you followed it up with:

Quote (fender @ Oct 14 2019 02:58pm)
wouldn't you agree that, even if it's an entirely unjustified excuse in this particular case, the widespread presence of guns does in fact represent an ever-present threat to law enforcement official in basically any given situation, and that it (alongside terrible training and widespread racism) is a significant cause for the shockingly high number of police killings?

I would argue that statement specifically DERAILS the discussion. It shifts discussion of the Fort Worth incident to a broader, less productive discussion about gun control.

Quote (fender @ Oct 14 2019 04:56pm)
i can do both: acknowledge the agreement we have regarding this case, while still pointing out the issue that predictably triggers my whole fanbase...

Yea you can do that .. but in another thread that is designed for that purpose. We could have been on a good track, talking about the facts of this case (protocol not being followed) and working on an agreeable way to address that. But if someone comes in dragging in the same old broad, divisive issues which have been rehashed for years, then we lose an opportunity for progress.
Gold: 57.00
Oct 14 2019 03:19pm
Quote (Arsenic_Touch @ 14 Oct 2019 17:03)

a miscarriage of justice, he ought to be hanged for this offense - assuming guilt which the bodycam all but proves without a doubt

This post was edited by excellence on Oct 14 2019 03:20pm
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Oct 14 2019 04:22pm
Quote (Kayeto @ 14 Oct 2019 23:15)
here's the catch though. You said:

Which might be an ok start. But then you followed it up with:

I would argue that statement specifically DERAILS the discussion. It shifts discussion of the Fort Worth incident to a broader, less productive discussion about gun control.

Yea you can do that .. but in another thread that is designed for that purpose. We could have been on a good track, talking about the facts of this case (protocol not being followed) and working on an agreeable way to address that. But if someone comes in dragging in the same old broad, divisive issues which have been rehashed for years, then we lose an opportunity for progress.

it doesn't 'derail' the discussion, it just puts it out of the framing that YOU want to limit it to, meaning excluding the issue of america's gun obsession. again, just because certain people get irrationally animated by that, it doesn't delegitimise the connection there is. it's a perfectly valid point to make in that context, even if it's a divisive one, even if it's one that usually leads to irrationality. again, it's not my aim to tip-toe around issues just because some people don't like it, it's not my fault that they get emotional about it. also, you can be emotional about something and STILL post on topic.
Gold: 285.00
Oct 14 2019 04:34pm
Quote (excellence @ Oct 14 2019 05:19pm)
a miscarriage of justice, he ought to be hanged for this offense - assuming guilt which the bodycam all but proves without a doubt

Well, there is a murder weapon and a body, kind of case closed.

Are you saying a murder didn't happen? Tell that to the kid who will need counseling.

This post was edited by Skinned on Oct 14 2019 04:35pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567811Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll