d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > New Conflict In Syria > Turkey Starts Bombing The Kurds
Prev1353637383943Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,400.67
Oct 23 2019 12:06pm
From a publication by Amnesty International from 1996, in which AI heavily criticize both the Turkish government and the PKK:

https://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6a9ea0.html

Turkey is situated in a politically unstable region and has experienced two decades of intense political violence by armed opposition groups, principally the Kurdish Workers' Party (PKK), which have attacked and killed civilians...

PKK forces have frequently killed Kurdish villagers taking no part in the conflict, as well as civil servants. Teachers have been a particular target; 90 have been killed by the PKK since 1984.

It is a bitter irony that during the 12 years in which the PKK has pursued its military objectives most victims of its deliberate and arbitrary killings have been Kurdish villagers. Reports from various sources show that armed PKK members killed at least 400 prisoners and civilians between 1993 and 1995. Most were killed because they had joined the government-armed village guard forces. Male village guards are frequently killed after being taken prisoner during PKK raids.

Since the conflict began, both sides have treated villagers in southeast Turkey as a soft target. In the 1980s the PKK frequently massacred whole families. Many women and children are caught in the cross-fire and killed in the course of armed clashes when the PKK attacks village guards in their villages, but relatives of village guards are also sometimes deliberately and arbitrarily killed. Eleven children were apparently deliberately killed when PKK members attacked the village of Daltepe, near Siirt, in October 1993. In the same month PKK members abducted 32 males, including six juveniles, from Yavi, in the Çat district of Erzurum, and killed them.

It should be noted that this article from AI is in fact more critical of the Turkish government than the PKK, just so no one accuses me of selective quoting to misrepresent the content of my source.
AI calls out both sides, and the things they say about PKK atrocities should speak for themselves. Stuff like this is what I refer to when I say that "the Kurds are no innocent lambs" and that the PKK clearly IS a terrorist organization.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Oct 23 2019 12:10pm
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Oct 23 2019 12:34pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 23 Oct 2019 19:44)
I used this simplistic non-argument because I didnt want to to go into too much detail. The tldr is that the PKK has committed various bombings against the Turkish state, has engaged in political killings and followed a militant doctrine for the longest time. (Not sure about their current stance on the use of violence for political purpose.)

I never did that. Of course "terrorist organization" is a wide category, and differentiation within this category is possible and recommendable. I consider the PKK one of the less "evil" terrorist organizations, certainly well below ISIS or Al-Quaeda. Their goals, methods and ideology still clearly fit the definition of a terrorist organization.

No, since their guerrilla warfare was targetting invasors from a homicidal, fascist dictatorship which was waging wars of aggression. The Kurdish territory within Turkey, on the other hand, has never been autonomous, so the Turkish state representatives in there are definitely not invasors. Turkey is far from a perfect democracy, but not really a fascist dictatorship either. And while Turkey has committed genocides before (e.g. against the Armenians), their genocidal tendencies are far lower than those of Nazi Germany.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ 23 Oct 2019 20:06)
From a publication by Amnesty International from 1996, in which AI heavily criticize both the Turkish government and the PKK:

https://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6a9ea0.html

It should be noted that this article from AI is in fact more critical of the Turkish government than the PKK, just so no one accuses me of selective quoting to misrepresent the content of my source.
AI calls out both sides, and the things they say about PKK atrocities should speak for themselves. Stuff like this is what I refer to when I say that "the Kurds are no innocent lambs" and that the PKK clearly IS a terrorist organization.

why am i not surprised that you focus exclusively on its most violent phase, which has indeed been rightfully condemned by various international human rights organisations, while fully ignoring their more recent history, and focus / ideological shift?
(btw, i love how you refer to AI when you think it serves your purpose, but outright dismiss them when it comes to the condemnation of israel's human rights violations against palestinians.)

again, the 'technically a terrorist organisation, as categorised by america and europe' is ignoring the historical context that i tried to provide, and it's downplaying the role of turkey in this conflict - and by 'role' i mean their KILLING, DISENFRANCHISEMENT, DRIVING PEOPLE OFF THEIR LAND, and other SYSTEMATIC INJUSTICES towards the kurdish people, long before the pkk was even founded...
but hey, their voice was not heard when modern nation states were established, so by your definition they have 'never been autonomous, and therefore their resistance is somehow not as legitimate. also, turkey is not quite as bad as the nazis were'... so much for one-sided propaganda...

This post was edited by fender on Oct 23 2019 12:36pm
Oct 23 2019 01:00pm
Quote (fender @ 23 Oct 2019 20:34)
why am i not surprised that you focus exclusively on its most violent phase, which has indeed been rightfully condemned by various international human rights organisations, while fully ignoring their more recent history, and focus / ideological shift?

How about YOU providing some info or sources into this more recent history and ideological shift? After all, I provided proof from a credible and mostly unbiased source that the PKK was indeed a violent terrorist organization in the not so distant past, while all you provided is a statement from the PKK itself, i.e. the most biased source on the Turkey/Kurd conflict one can imagine.

I provided a basis for arguing that the PKK should be subject to a ton of scrutiny. You argue that the PKK has changed recently and should be looked at more favorably. Given their violent past, this change of perspective on the contemporary PKK really takes something tangible and substantial, and it is on you to provide it, not me. It's really presumptuous of you to pretend that the alleged recent ideological shift of the PKK must be common knowledge and that everyone who doesnt know of it or doesnt buy into it is some sort of uninformed ignoramus.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Oct 23 2019 01:01pm
Gold: 10.77
Oct 23 2019 01:02pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Oct 23 2019 12:00pm)
How about YOU providing some info or sources into this more recent history and ideological shift? After all, I provided proof from a credible and mostly unbiased source that the PKK was indeed a violent terrorist organization in the not so distant past, while all you provided is a statement from the PKK itself, i.e. the most biased source on the Turkey/Kurd conflict one can imagine.

I provided a basis for arguing that the PKK should be subject to a ton of scrutiny. You argue that the PKK has changed recently and should be looked at more favorably. Given their violent past, this change of perspective on the contemporary PKK really takes something tangible and substantial, and it is on you to provide it, not me. It's really presumptuous of you to pretend that the alleged recent ideological shift of the PKK must be common knowledge and that everyone who doesnt know of it or doesnt buy into it is some sort of uninformed ignoramus.

Is Turkey a terrorist organization? Is the United States?
Oct 23 2019 01:06pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ 23 Oct 2019 21:02)
Is Turkey a terrorist organization? Is the United States?

No, they are countries. Afaik, countries can by definition not be terrorist organizations. Anyway, both Turkey and the United States have committed war crimes and atrocities against civilians as well, and yes, their actions and statements regarding the Syria/Kurdistan situation should be subject to the same levels of scrutiny as those of the PKK.

If someone posted a propaganda pamphlet from the Turkish perspective, similar to the one Fender posted from the PKK perspective, then I would call him out too.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Oct 23 2019 01:07pm
Oct 23 2019 01:08pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Oct 23 2019 12:06pm)
No, they are countries. Afaik, countries can by definition not be terrorist organizations. Anyway, both Turkey and the United States have committed war crimes and atrocities against civilians as well, and yes, their actions and statements regarding the Syria/Kurdistan situation should be subject to the same levels of scrutiny as those of the PKK.

If someone posted a propaganda pamphlet from the Turkish perspective, similar to the one Fender posted from the PKK perspective, then I would call him out too.

So fighting for the liberation of your land is terrorism. Was the United States founded by terrorists?
Oct 23 2019 01:15pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ 23 Oct 2019 21:08)
So fighting for the liberation of your land is terrorism. Was the United States founded by terrorists?

First of all, as the saying goes, "history is written by the winners".

Second, it depends a lot on what you mean by "liberation" and "your land": how oppressive is the current government, and how strong is your own claim to the land in question versus the claim of the government you're fighting against?

Third, terrorism is defined chiefly by its methods. Systematically targetting and intimidating unaffiliated civilians, torturing or randomly executing prisoners as well as massacres are not excusable, not even if you're fighting for a righteous cause. The US during the war of independence dont fit any of these criteria.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Oct 23 2019 01:16pm
Oct 23 2019 01:19pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Oct 23 2019 12:15pm)
First of all, as the saying goes, "history is written by the winners".

Second, it depends a lot on what you mean by "liberation" and "your land": how oppressive is the current government, and how strong is your own claim to the land in question versus the claim of the government you're fighting against?

Third, terrorism is defined chiefly by its methods. Systematically targetting and intimidating unaffiliated civilians, torturing or randomly executing prisoners as well as massacres are not excusable, not even if you're fighting for a righteous cause. The US during the war of independence dont fit any of these criteria.

Oh boy, you didn't do much learnin' in school, did ya?
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Oct 23 2019 01:26pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 23 Oct 2019 21:00)

you're missing an important distinction here: your lack of historical context (while still making sweeping claims) does not mean that's the perspective that i am posting from, while calling out your extremely biased dismissal of an open letter as 'propaganda'. YOU make that claim while exclusively focusing on the worst possible 'arguments' you can find for it: their categorisation (ofc outright ignoring the context under which that happened), and the criticism they justifiably received during a particularly violent phase.

had you simply stated that you didn't know enough, and relied on their label to be critical of that letter, i would have said 'fair enough, maybe educate yourself on their history and the degree to which said letter resembles a somewhat unbiased truth' (and of course it's biased to a degree, focusing on the justifiable stuff - after all it's a reaction to rationalising the complete abandonment of their people to turkey and syria by suggesting they are just terrorists) - but that's not what you did, you simply dismissed it as 'terrorist organisation propaganda', as if it was some IS recruitment video...

also, while you keep reiterating their 'violent past', you also keep ignoring the fact that their violence was a REACTION to decades of systematic injustices, including thousands of killings, political disenfranchisement and expropriation by the turkish state - and you can't tell me that your history knowledge is THAT flawed...
Oct 23 2019 01:35pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ 23 Oct 2019 21:19)
Oh boy, you didn't do much learnin' in school, did ya?

Note the word "systematically".

Quote (fender @ 23 Oct 2019 21:26)
had you simply stated that you didn't know enough, and relied on their label to be critical of that letter, i would have said 'fair enough, maybe educate yourself on their history and the degree to which said letter resembles a somewhat unbiased truth'

and we're back to square one. :rolleyes:

sidenote: why do discussions with liberals always end in smug calls to "educate yourself"?

also, while you keep reiterating their 'violent past', you also keep ignoring the fact that their violence was a REACTION to decades of systematic injustices, including thousands of killings, political disenfranchisement and expropriation by the turkish state - and you can't tell me that your history knowledge is THAT flawed...

Again, as I said right in the beginning: I consider the fact that the Kurdish people dont have their own state an injustice of history, I am sympathetic to their cause, and I do consider the things the Turks did to them worse than what the Kurds or the PKK did in retaliation. None of this, however, can be an excuse for the violence and crimes the PKK has committed.

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1353637383943Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll