d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Bold Move Cotton
Prev1234569Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
May 31 2019 05:46pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ May 31 2019 05:37pm)
He's given social conservatives some wins policy-wise. These aren't plastered headlines as wins for conservatives rather that they are "attacks on xyz", "rolling back rights" etc, the usual spin.

Your problem is you're too sure of the outcome when there are so many different things that can occur that would completely change the calculus of the game. It's not only plausible but likely that struggling economies would cave instead of having a drawn-out trade war with a massive importer of their goods if for example Trump wins in 2020

It's impossible to say for certain how the chips will fall, but if Trump wins again, which there's a decent chance he might, I can see China looking to settle this and end the pain.

Why would they make large concessions (long term trade deal) when they can just wait 4 years for a dem potus?

Change my mind . jpeg

This post was edited by thesnipa on May 31 2019 05:46pm
Gold: 5,016.77
May 31 2019 05:50pm
Quote (thesnipa @ May 31 2019 06:46pm)
Why would they make large concessions (long term trade deal) when they can just wait 4 years for a dem potus?

Change my mind . jpeg

I'm hoping the Chinese hack the RNC, IRS, White House, and Trump organization. That way me and void can switch roles, where I applaud transparency, and he begins to care about foreign interference. :thumbsup:
Gold: 11,571.00
May 31 2019 06:07pm
Quote (thesnipa @ May 31 2019 04:46pm)

Change my mind . jpeg

-China is looking at the slowest growth in 30 years
-Their stock market has not been doing too hot
-China's debt is at record levels
-Not only is China slowing but pretty much the whole world. European central banks are at near zero interest rates and they are still struggling to kickstart their economies. If you can't kickstart growth when rates are near zero then that's troubling and both govt and central bankers are powerless.

4 Years is a long time to weather through an economic recession. I'm no expert, but it's possible that the swan dive of a global recession would hurt them much more than giving up trade concessions
Gold: 4,400.67
May 31 2019 06:34pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 1 Jun 2019 02:07)
-China is looking at the slowest growth in 30 years
-Their stock market has not been doing too hot
-China's debt is at record levels
-Not only is China slowing but pretty much the whole world. European central banks are at near zero interest rates and they are still struggling to kickstart their economies. If you can't kickstart growth when rates are near zero then that's troubling and both govt and central bankers are powerless.

4 Years is a long time to weather through an economic recession. I'm no expert, but it's possible that the swan dive of a global recession would hurt them much more than giving up trade concessions

They might make concessions when it comes to opening up their market and to forced technology transfer. But they will never give up their system of state-run and state-subsidized corporations. Those gigantic state corporations are the pillars of their economy, without them, their entire economic system would crumble.

But then again, ending the bleeding of technology and intellectual property to China would already be a huge success for Trump, the United States and the whole world.
Gold: 2,420.00
May 31 2019 06:35pm
Quote (Santara @ May 30 2019 08:23pm)
Or he could saw the foot.

based
Gold: 28,296.69
Jun 4 2019 06:13pm
Quote (Beowulf @ May 30 2019 05:48pm)
He has done a significant amount of bluffing on this issue and people just forget his fake threats when he makes new ones

we shall see

aka he is bluffing
Jun 5 2019 07:20pm
Updates

Most recent

Mexico meets migrants at southern border with armed forces

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican soldiers, armed police and migration officials blocked hundreds of migrants after they crossed the border from Guatemala in a caravan into southern Mexico on Wednesday, and detained dozens of them, a witness from a migrant aid group and an official said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-trump-mexico/mexico-meets-migrants-at-southern-border-with-armed-forces-idUSKCN1T62YC?il=0

Earlier in the day

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Mexican and U.S. officials are set to resume talks in Washington on Thursday aimed at averting an imposition of tariffs on Mexican goods, with President Donald Trump saying “not enough” progress on ways to curb migration was made when the two sides met on Wednesday

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-mexico-pence/trump-says-not-enough-progress-made-in-high-stakes-u-s-mexico-talks-idUSKCN1T60D6

Pretty obvious that Mexico will blink first. Art of the deal/10

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jun 5 2019 07:20pm
Gold: 10,655.00
Jun 5 2019 07:35pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 5 2019 09:20pm)

Agreed, 100%. Mexico can't afford NOT to blink first.

Trump's tariff threat shouldn't have even been necessary. Mexico was not only allowing these caravans through their country, but even assisting them. This after they promised to help stop the advance back in January/February.
On top of it all, these caravan folks claims of "we have no choice but to seek asylum", never rang true. People looking for 'any port in a storm' don't skip a country, 1000+ miles long when doing so.
Ergo their reasons for migrating are NOT solely asylum (which they claim), but rather... they wanted to illegally immigrate to the US, all along.
Jun 5 2019 07:46pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 5 2019 06:35pm)
Agreed, 100%. Mexico can't afford NOT to blink first.

Trump's tariff threat shouldn't have even been necessary. Mexico was not only allowing these caravans through their country, but even assisting them. This after they promised to help stop the advance back in January/February.
On top of it all, these caravan folks claims of "we have no choice but to seek asylum", never rang true. People looking for 'any port in a storm' don't skip a country, 1000+ miles long when doing so.
Ergo their reasons for migrating are NOT solely asylum (which they claim), but rather... they wanted to illegally immigrate to the US, all along.

It's economic migration, period. It's understandable for humans to seek a better place and i don't hate the people for doing it. Most of us in life want better for ourselves and our kids and what these people are doing is no different. I just think 's important for longevity sake to do it legally and wait in line as many others did and still do.
Gold: 10,655.00
Jun 5 2019 07:50pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 5 2019 09:46pm)
It's economic migration, period. It's understandable for humans to seek a better place and i don't hate the people for doing it. Most of us in life want better for ourselves and our kids and what these people are doing is no different. I just think 's important for longevity sake to do it legally and wait in line as many others did and still do.

Exactly. :)

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234569Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll