d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > On Non-monogamy And Education
Prev1789101123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 57.00
Apr 19 2018 11:39am
Quote (Scaly @ 19 Apr 2018 13:31)
Not what I fucking said. I will restate it in answer to excellence's dumbass post.

I swear to god you're literally dumber than Ghot. In the post you quote I literally stated that personal experience doesn't mean shit in these kind of conversations. My personal experience is the same as anyone else's. Confined to my own personal group of associates.

you seem upset. did you only get to sleep in til 2 pm local time today? youre being crankier than usual.

reported, btw
Quote (dro94 @ 19 Apr 2018 13:28)
lol, good post my friend!

thank you my friend!

Quote (thesnipa @ 19 Apr 2018 13:30)
hey man, don't pick on lil scales just because he went to sleep every night planning his dream wedding and becoming so infatuated with the women in his class that he filled the inside of his trapper keeper with his last name changed to theirs before ever talking to them.

for real tho, the idea that men are as or more excited to commit to long term relationships is pure poppycock and defies something so settled in culture that it's common knowledge. i'm not card sultan, i dont bother questioning things we figured out 500 years back.

scaly is still in school give him another 15 years maybe he will figure out stuff everyone else figured out ages ago

Quote (Chainsaw47 @ 19 Apr 2018 13:28)
Of course my views are influenced by what I can observe of the world and the typical portrayal of men who ‘don’t want to grow-up’, but I went ahead and found some interesting information. The difference is not as important as what I know from my entourage, but there is a disparity for some factors. Your reasons for disagreeing are only based on your personal experience. Maybe men you know are more the marriage type.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/02/13/love-and-marriage/

>pew is reich-wing bollocks incoming
Gold: 0.00
Apr 19 2018 11:45am
Quote (thesnipa @ 19 Apr 2018 17:35)
that's cool and all but like.....do you live under a rock over there in Norwich? it's a well established meta in music, tv, books, and movies that men are less likely to commit to relationships. so, with that in mind, putting aside whatever bizarro world you grew up in, did you not feel that this established meta was representative of the world at large?

Like if i was touched as a child, and never allowed to go outside. i'd be watching tv and asking "wait, how come the mommy and the daddy dont give their kids that special love"?

like i said, this is common sense stuff. if this is the first exposure to it you have i honestly am speechless. its an established difference between the sexes.

Media tropes are not necessarily representative of the general population either and often lag behind the progression of social norms. I can see those tropes in film but I also accept the possibility that they could represent values that were held by the baby boomers and not by the current generation.

I don't know tbh. Just saying that in my experience men are just as, if not more, committed to marriage than women.

You wanna have a go at me for what I've experienced then fine. But I'm just stating the truth of my experience and asking for evidence that it is different than the (western) world at large and the best you can come up with is 'common knowledge'. Well it's not common knowledge inside my social circle. In fact I don't notice any substantial difference in desire to get married or commitment to marriage between my male and female friends.

As I've said like fucking ten times right now while being constantly abused for it - MY EXPERIENCE AND YOURS MAY DIFFER, WE CANNOT KNOW WHAT IS TRUE OF A GENERAL POPULATION BY KNOWING WHAT OUR FRIENDS AND ACQUAINTANCES THINK. In caps so people can actually fucking read and see that I'm NOT saying that it is untrue - just that personal experience is not sufficient evidence to form an accurate picture of public opinion.

I shouldn't bhave to explain this shit to PaRD members.
Gold: 1,307.69
Apr 19 2018 11:49am
Quote (Scaly @ Apr 19 2018 01:45pm)

You can refer to the data I provided in my previous post.

It seems that there is an important disconnect between what you observed and what the majority of the world has observed about marriage. When it becomes some sort of ‘common knowledge’ that justifies this typical portrayal in the media, I think it’s safe to assume it’s more than just personal experience.

Gold: 2,489.69
Apr 19 2018 12:05pm
Quote (Scaly @ Apr 19 2018 11:45am)
Media tropes are not necessarily representative of the general population either and often lag behind the progression of social norms.I can see those tropes in filmbut I also accept the possibility that they could represent values that were held by the baby boomers and not by the current generation.

I don't know tbh. Just saying that in my experience men are just as, if not more, committed to marriage than women.

You wanna have a go at me for what I've experienced then fine. But I'm just stating the truth of my experience and asking for evidence that it is different than the (western) world at large andthe best you can come up with is 'common knowledge'. Well it's not common knowledge inside my social circle. In fact I don't notice any substantial difference in desire to get married or commitment to marriage between my male and female friends.

As I've said like fucking ten times right now while being constantly abused for it - MY EXPERIENCE AND YOURS MAY DIFFER, WE CANNOT KNOW WHAT IS TRUE OF A GENERAL POPULATION BY KNOWING WHAT OUR FRIENDS AND ACQUAINTANCES THINK. In caps so people can actually fucking read and see that I'm NOT saying that it is untrue - just that personal experience is not sufficient evidence to form an accurate picture of public opinion.

I shouldn't bhave to explain this shit to PaRD members.

Those two things are quite at odds, imo. If you've noticed that's how humans are represented in media than it's also common knowledge to you. I don't think there are really many tropes in films that don't directly translate to reality if they are broad generalizations about human behavior. I mean sure, people don't get knocked out for 10 mins by a single karate chop, but that's about it. it those movies didn't at least mirror our ideas about society they wouldn't be watched, people want media they can relate to. even in sci fi characters often need to mimmick our world even if theyre an alien on a lava planet 10 light years away.

but that's not really my gripe, you're challenging common knowledge, so the burden of proof is on you. just like card sultan coming in and saying "official narrative means lies". if its not true find facts to counter it. be they traditional studies or ones that reflect changes over time for millennial. I'll bet a fat stack you find a whole lot of studies that really challenge your worldview, and few if any that conform to it. maybe this is just one of those scenarios where your personal perspective is so wildly off of the mainstream that good dialogue is not possible. what you perceive as abuse, at least from me, should be seen as incredulity. you're well into my tinfoil zone man

This post was edited by thesnipa on Apr 19 2018 12:05pm
Warn: 40%
Apr 19 2018 12:48pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Apr 19 2018 08:38am)
I was not suggesting we revert to the time when women couldn't afford to provide for themselves. Just making an observation.

Even in the 1960s, though, it was as low as ~20%.

Women cant provide for themselves in current year, thats why the welfare system is fucked
Warn: 40%
Apr 19 2018 12:50pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Apr 19 2018 09:09am)
I mean, even if it's just because of marketing women definitely want to get married more.

Men are more likely to work in a marriage than shrug and divorce
Apr 19 2018 01:24pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 19 Apr 2018 18:05)
Those two things are quite at odds, imo. If you've noticed that's how humans are represented in media than it's also common knowledge to you. I don't think there are really many tropes in films that don't directly translate to reality if they are broad generalizations about human behavior. I mean sure, people don't get knocked out for 10 mins by a single karate chop, but that's about it. it those movies didn't at least mirror our ideas about society they wouldn't be watched, people want media they can relate to. even in sci fi characters often need to mimmick our world even if theyre an alien on a lava planet 10 light years away.

but that's not really my gripe, you're challenging common knowledge, so the burden of proof is on you. just like card sultan coming in and saying "official narrative means lies". if its not true find facts to counter it. be they traditional studies or ones that reflect changes over time for millennial. I'll bet a fat stack you find a whole lot of studies that really challenge your worldview, and few if any that conform to it. maybe this is just one of those scenarios where your personal perspective is so wildly off of the mainstream that good dialogue is not possible. what you perceive as abuse, at least from me, should be seen as incredulity. you're well into my tinfoil zone man

Cool. My culture is tinfoil zone.
Nice healthy dose of bigotry.

It's like saying 'The majority of people are lutheran because you live in northern scandinavia and people on tv are represented as majority lutheran and most of the people you know are lutheran. You're basically dissing my people.

This post was edited by Scaly on Apr 19 2018 01:25pm
Gold: Locked
Apr 19 2018 01:36pm
I think it should be included as a footnote, like transgenderism.
Gold: 17,384.69
Apr 19 2018 01:43pm
Today i read a paper in french about a part of the young generation, homosexuals & transexuals, using drugs (GHB/GBA/Ectasy/Cocain etc) and doing sex for like 3 days with like 30 different people, using internet to "chain" them....
The guy/trans was using a treatment to PREVENT hiv ...

I dont think it's a good thing to teach ... ^_^

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on Apr 19 2018 01:46pm
Gold: 6.66
Apr 19 2018 01:46pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Apr 19 2018 11:43am)
Today i read a paper in french about a part of the young generation, homosexuals & transexuals, using drugs (GHB) and doing sex for like 3 days with like 30 different people, using internet to "chain" them....
The guy/trans was using a treatment to PREVENT hiv ...

I dont think it's a good thing to teach ... ^_^

Yes, hopefully they're on PrEP, and also hopefully have had comprehensive sex education.

Chemsex is alive and well.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1789101123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll