d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Ketogenic Diet > Scientific Discussion And Blog
Prev1242526272832Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 632.75
Dec 23 2018 11:26pm
Quote (SinOrder @ Dec 23 2018 04:31pm)
Ofc fat is not the best cor heart

Fat is the best for heart actually
Gold: 260.11
Dec 24 2018 05:44am
Quote (Bako661 @ Dec 23 2018 07:54pm)
fat is healthy
too much fat is unhealthy just like not enough carbs which is what the idiotic keto diet calls for.

Meh, carbs are an inefficient energy source compared to fat.

The link betweem cholesterol and fat has basically been abandoned by the medical community.

Id rather eat a high fat low carb diet than the other way around as long as both diets have a reasonable absolute calorie and nutritional value.
Gold: 1.68
Warn: 60%
Dec 24 2018 10:23am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 24 2018 04:44am)

The link betweem cholesterol and fat has basically been abandoned by the medical community.

Id rather eat a high fat low carb diet than the other way around as long as both diets have a reasonable absolute calorie and nutritional value.

Carbs are your body's main source of energy... You need carbs and sugars go function. It's said around 25% of sugars are used for brain function alone. Keto diet is majorly unhealthy for the body and causes major cardiovascular issues.
Dec 24 2018 10:29am
Quote (Bako661 @ Dec 24 2018 10:23am)
Carbs are your body's main source of energy... You need carbs and sugars go function. It's said around 25% of sugars are used for brain function alone. Keto diet is majorly unhealthy for the body and causes major cardiovascular issues.

Your body makes its own sugars by gluconeogenesis and can be done through any energy source.

Carbs also cause cardiovascular disease.
Gold: 2,617.52
Dec 24 2018 11:39am
Quote (Bako661 @ Dec 24 2018 12:23pm)

Brain can also function on ketones. And the liver can make glucose from proteins.

Please post these studies you are talking about.

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Dec 24 2018 11:39am
Gold: 1.68
Warn: 60%
Dec 24 2018 01:14pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Dec 24 2018 10:39am)
Brain can also function on ketones. And the liver can make glucose from proteins.

Please post these studies you are talking about.

Pm me and remind me. I'll look it up for u just busy right now
Gold: 6.66
Dec 25 2018 05:24pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 24 2018 01:44pm)

The link between blood cholesterol and fats? I'm not so sure it's abandoned. Medical and nutritional discussion is very confusing and daunting to follow, but i haven't heard of an actual change in consensus despite controversies. Saturated fats are reliably shown to increase LDL cholesterol, the controversy is generated by people cherry-picking papers with no regard to their quality while ignoring the strong level of evidence behind the negative effects of saturated fats. There's a good deal of money in selling "counter-culture" medical products, and they make sure to keep their sounds heard.

Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 24 2018 06:29pm)
Your body makes its own sugars by gluconeogenesis and can be done through any energy source.

Carbs also cause cardiovascular disease.

So far the accepted mechanism behind carbs causing cardiovascular disease is through obesity. I haven't delved to deep into carbs though, so i can't reliably say whether there is a direct mechanism. The observation i've so far made is that the idea of carbs causing CVD is often a selling point of non-mainstream medicine, which usually includes a lot of medical bullshit. It smells fishy. Non-mainstream medicine is the snake oil of today. It's so seemingly well disguised as real medicine, yet it's often based on questionable evidence. It brings good dough home to those who sell it, though, because it's very fashionable now to be "woke" and health conscious and what not.

This post was edited by Neptunus on Dec 25 2018 05:27pm
Dec 25 2018 06:53pm
Quote (Neptunus @ Dec 25 2018 05:24pm)
The link between blood cholesterol and fats? I'm not so sure it's abandoned. Medical and nutritional discussion is very confusing and daunting to follow, but i haven't heard of an actual change in consensus despite controversies. Saturated fats are reliably shown to increase LDL cholesterol, the controversy is generated by people cherry-picking papers with no regard to their quality while ignoring the strong level of evidence behind the negative effects of saturated fats. There's a good deal of money in selling "counter-culture" medical products, and they make sure to keep their sounds heard.

That the link was largely abandoned at this point was just what I was told by my biochem professor and two doctors I shadowed.

I haven't dug into the papers myself, and I've got enough of a research background to not necessarily take it as gospel, but it seemed reasonable since I was getting the same information from multiple sources.
Gold: 2,600.02
Dec 26 2018 10:38pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Dec 25 2018 05:53pm)
That the link was largely abandoned at this point was just what I was told by my biochem professor and two doctors I shadowed.

I haven't dug into the papers myself, and I've got enough of a research background to not necessarily take it as gospel, but it seemed reasonable since I was getting the same information from multiple sources.

My doc said this as well
Gold: 2,600.02
Dec 26 2018 10:40pm
Quote (Neptunus @ Dec 25 2018 04:24pm)

So far the accepted mechanism behind carbs causing cardiovascular disease is through obesity. I haven't delved to deep into carbs though, so i can't reliably say whether there is a direct mechanism. The observation i've so far made is that the idea of carbs causing CVD is often a selling point of non-mainstream medicine, which usually includes a lot of medical bullshit. It smells fishy. Non-mainstream medicine is the snake oil of today. It's so seemingly well disguised as real medicine, yet it's often based on questionable evidence. It brings good dough home to those who sell it, though, because it's very fashionable now to be "woke" and health conscious and what not.

There’s a great deal more money to be made pushing the current government recommendations
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev1242526272832Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll