d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Ketogenic Diet > Scientific Discussion And Blog
12332Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,617.52
Jan 19 2017 11:27am
Two weeks ago I started a Ketogenic diet. Its been working wonderfully, so I wanted to start a discussion and showcase what happens. It will be an interesting experiment because I am a type: I diabetic. The results of the diet are not well documented for young diabetics.

The diet works on a few simple principles:

- the body has three sources of fuel: carbohydrates, fat, and protein. Ketogenic diet forces your body to use fat by cutting carbohydrates out of your diet COMPLETELY

- normally, your body burns carbohydrates that are stored in the form of glycogen. After three days without carbohydrates, the body enters ketosis, which means the body has run out of glycogen and is now burning fat 24/7

- you can test for ketosis using ketostix which check the presence of ketones in the urine

- you eat awesome fatty foods like bacon, cheese, meats, pork rinds, low-sugar vegetables. Ill probably share some ketogenic recipes here since they taste awesome and are more filling than carbohydrate-rich foods

- you feel much better. Carbohydrates normally cause constant low levels of inflammation in the body

- interestingly I go to the gym, and Ive noticed that my burst strength is significantly diminished. Without glycogen, the body loses its ability to rapidly produce energy from carbohydrates. I have also found that your burst energy returns IF you eat up fats and oils before you work out.

- people with a sweet tooth can buy carbohydrate-free erythritol and stevia to sweeten tea, drinks, smoothies, and even choclate to get rid of cravings. After two weeks, the human addiction to sugar actually completely disappears

I have lost 1.5lbs per week in the first two weeks on about 1,500 calories a day. Will provide updates and answer any questions here as it progresses. I plan to lose about 20 pounds and keep the diet up permanently if it works.

So far I'd recommend this diet to anyone. The initial hurdle of going cold turkey on carbohydrates is well worth it.
Gold: 2,407.00
Jan 22 2017 09:39am
Losing 1.5 lbs per week on 1,500 cals will happen no matter how many carbs you eat. That is pretty low calories, especially for someone who also exercises.
Gold: 583.69
Jan 22 2017 10:33am
There is only one diet that works. It doesnt have a stupid name. Consume less calories than you burn. Thats it.
Gold: 34,564.68
Jan 23 2017 10:37am
Isn't this the thing Joe Rogan is on?
Gold: 1,261.00
Jan 23 2017 02:35pm
Quote (Hacintosh @ Jan 22 2017 09:33am)
There is only one diet that works. It doesnt have a stupid name. Consume less calories than you burn. Thats it.

It's true, but some diets are still better than others and your body isn't just about calories. You need vitamins, proteins, essential acids, etc. Eating 1000 calories of beef isn't the same as eating 1000 calories of sugar for your overall health.
Besides, some diets make it easier to actually stay dieting by making you feel less hungry. Pretty much every diet that fails does so because people don't adhere, not because it lets you eat too much. The ketogenic diet is supposed to help your body burn fat more readily, so when you are in caloric deficit you burn more fat and feel less hungry and tired.
Telling someone they just need to intake fewer calories than they burn is technically correct, but in practice isn't very helpful.
Gold: 583.69
Jan 23 2017 03:35pm
Quote (russian @ Jan 23 2017 08:35pm)
It's true, but some diets are still better than others and your body isn't just about calories. You need vitamins, proteins, essential acids, etc. Eating 1000 calories of beef isn't the same as eating 1000 calories of sugar for your overall health.
Besides, some diets make it easier to actually stay dieting by making you feel less hungry. Pretty much every diet that fails does so because people don't adhere, not because it lets you eat too much. The ketogenic diet is supposed to help your body burn fat more readily, so when you are in caloric deficit you burn more fat and feel less hungry and tired.
Telling someone they just need to intake fewer calories than they burn is technically correct, but in practice isn't very helpful.

Well, this IS the science section. I expect i dont have to hold everyone hand here like over in pard. Well other than the likes of card.

This post was edited by Hacintosh on Jan 23 2017 03:35pm
Jan 23 2017 07:03pm
Quote (Hacintosh @ Jan 22 2017 12:33pm)

Quote (Mastersam93 @ Jan 22 2017 11:39am)
Losing 1.5 lbs per week on 1,500 cals will happen no matter how many carbs you eat. That is pretty low calories, especially for someone who also exercises.

Ketogenic diet works better because your body has different metabolic states.

Ketosis forces your body to make the enzymes that digest ketones (the metabolites of fats/triglycerides). Your metabolism is faster and you will lost weight quicker.

I could dig up some other benefits too, but I don't regret getting rid of all carbs, I feel so much better.
Jan 23 2017 07:35pm
HADDOCK RECIPE

Haddock fish IMO is the hidden TREASURE of the northeast. This fish is cheaper than garbage, its delicious, and its near-impossible to screw up this dish.

All you need is to salt and pepper the fish and it will taste good.

For specific spices, I suggest lemon juice, turmeric, and cumin.

For breading, I suggest ground flaxseed. Ground flaxseed tastes a lot like breading except its 10x healthier.

Cook for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees. If it starts flaking, its ready to eat.
Gold: 13.95
Jan 23 2017 08:13pm
Hey funny seeing someone losing at the same time as me :D

I'm also losing weight, I have about 30lbs extra and I started 2 weeks ago as well. While I'm not completely cutting carbs off the table I'm trying to limit my intake because well usually there's a decent amount of calories in carbs in general.
I cut off my snacking habit and reduced my portions to what I'm supposed to eat and I'm feeling pretty good.

Lost 3lbs the first week and 4lbs the second week.

I attribute my increased weight loss in the second week to stronger 30 minute of exercise ( we have a threadmill at home ). Since I don't walk a lot, I found out that jogging was pretty hurtful for my underutilized muscles at the leg but mostly at the ankle area and I could not run as much as I gauge my cardio to be capable to handle. Now that my muscles are actually muscles I can actually do some decent cardio.
Speaking of portions, my mother has the whole shebang of weight watchers and it really was an eye opening especially when it comes to ingredients added. Like what's an actual portion of peanut butter on toasts and the likes, no wonder I kept gaining weight all these years.

Back to your diet, cutting carbs definitely has multiple benefits. Especially for those who might have a semblance of gluten intolerance, which are in wheat which i gather is the most common carbohydrate that people consume in general.

One thing, are you making sure you're having enough fiber in your diet? That's one thing to plan for when going low carb or in your instance carb-free.

This post was edited by Helloween7 on Jan 23 2017 08:13pm
Jan 24 2017 11:23pm
Quote (Helloween7 @ Jan 23 2017 10:13pm)
Hey funny seeing someone losing at the same time as me :D

I'm also losing weight, I have about 30lbs extra and I started 2 weeks ago as well. While I'm not completely cutting carbs off the table I'm trying to limit my intake because well usually there's a decent amount of calories in carbs in general.
I cut off my snacking habit and reduced my portions to what I'm supposed to eat and I'm feeling pretty good.

Lost 3lbs the first week and 4lbs the second week.

I attribute my increased weight loss in the second week to stronger 30 minute of exercise ( we have a threadmill at home ). Since I don't walk a lot, I found out that jogging was pretty hurtful for my underutilized muscles at the leg but mostly at the ankle area and I could not run as much as I gauge my cardio to be capable to handle. Now that my muscles are actually muscles I can actually do some decent cardio.
Speaking of portions, my mother has the whole shebang of weight watchers and it really was an eye opening especially when it comes to ingredients added. Like what's an actual portion of peanut butter on toasts and the likes, no wonder I kept gaining weight all these years.

Back to your diet, cutting carbs definitely has multiple benefits. Especially for those who might have a semblance of gluten intolerance, which are in wheat which i gather is the most common carbohydrate that people consume in general.

One thing, are you making sure you're having enough fiber in your diet? That's one thing to plan for when going low carb or in your instance carb-free.

Congrats so far!

If you want max calorie/workout with the least stress on your body I highly suggest Peak 8 exercises.

The fiber is an issue for this diet, half of my food intake is basically rabbit food.

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Jan 24 2017 11:23pm
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
12332Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll