d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Hockey > Official Vancouver Canucks Fan Thread > We're All Canucks
Prev1744745746747748869Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 17,801.00
Jun 2 2021 08:27pm
Better than I expected.

Figured the Canucks would drop lol.
Gold: 8,732.50
Jun 2 2021 10:14pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ 2 Jun 2021 18:54)
Man I wanted Owen Power but he might go first overall

i think he's the consensus 1oa pick

I think yzerman will pick Jesper Wallstedt for some reason, cuz it seems like he likes to build his team from net out and he already has seider.

Either way i think the Canucks will still get the last remaining similar tier talent with their 9th before it drops to the next tier
Jun 7 2021 04:08pm
some dude on reddit summarized recent Gillis interview

Sedin twins re-signing process

Flew to Sweden on the eve of free agency w/ Laurence (Gilman)

Told the Sedins that this was a scenario never before seen (both had to sign at the same time)

Laid out a plan on what their plans were and how they were going to make Vancouver an attractive destination

Told them that they had to be signed as a pair for a certain amount of money (internal salary cap) and that if they did this they will always be trying to win the Stanley Cup and never be moving in a direction we're not (until our timeframe runs out)

Sedin Twins front office

Says they would be great additions to hockey management and if he were in charge he would have them involved in everything. Also says that they're smart people and have been exposed to a lot of things and that they would be great assets if given the opportunity.

Scouting process

Talks how he would've changed things up and having two separate groups of scouting to prevent confirmation / group bias

Reason why he hasn't returned to hockey yet

There hasn't been an organization that views the same way he does (I think he's referring to how the organization is structured. https://i.imgur.com/lcHLDox.jpeg is what he views it as when it was leaked)

Returning to the Canucks

Says he wouldn't' discount anything and the process is everything, talks about how it's a decision process and that the organization has to be aligned with one goal in mind which is the Stanley Cup

Canucks made it public (Alex Blair) that they were looking to return the franchise what it was 10 years ago and Alex Blair asked Gillis if he was called which he said no but said that he would've taken the call.

If they won the cup in 2011 / 2011 in general

Says that if they won the cup in 2011 that he would've considered retiring and that the 6 1/2 years he spent on the Canucks was a great time and a very fun time, everyone had fun, etc

Talks about how the executive staff was phenomenal

When Burrows scored the goal that slayed the dragon, he was in the washroom and heard a loud surge of roars.

2013 Firing

He kind of hints that he was fired for wanting a rebuild as he says something along the lines of in 2013 he had a vision of how he would've brought the Canucks back to (winning the Stanley Cup) but that the vision wasn't shared which I'm assuming is FA.

Says that if the team isn't wiling to lose (doesn't say tank for, but I assume this is what he means) for a few years to attain the number one goal of winning the cup, then that's not for him.

There's some other stuff that was talked about but I was just kinda listening to the podcast in the background, but it's a very good listen if you wanted to see into the mind of Mike Gillis. He went into a lot of depth regarding sport science, player fatigue, etc

This post was edited by Secksii on Jun 7 2021 04:09pm
Gold: 2,647.74
Jun 7 2021 04:43pm
no wonder Gillis isn't in the game right now. he'd rather delegate to experts in their respective areas and focus on the business and leadership sides... while owners typically want their GMs to do all things hockey then micromanage their executive team.
Jun 7 2021 04:49pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ 7 Jun 2021 15:43)
no wonder Gillis isn't in the game right now. he'd rather delegate to experts in their respective areas and focus on the business and leadership sides... while owners typically want their GMs to do all things hockey then micromanage their executive team.

Yup, he was always ahead of the game during his time in NHL. It was good and bad, good for the org cuz of all these out of the box ideas that made the team goat. Then the bad is jelly GM/owner around the league that the Canucks are cheating using analytics and all other shit to help the team. Fast forward now, a lot of teams are using analytics :rofl:

also sucks that aqualini is too hands on, and prevents GM to do anything they normally want for their team. Like Gillis wanted a full rebuild, he was in process of trading Kesler and at rhe time Kesler had more than 2 teams on the list. He was most likely going to Pittsburgh, but aqualini shut it down. Fired Gillis. When Benning called up Kesler, he said Sry Jim,it ain't ur fault but the list is 2 now lol. Cuz the teammates weren't too happy that he wanted to leave and dmg was done, so he used his leverage to go where he wants

This post was edited by Secksii on Jun 7 2021 04:52pm
Jun 9 2021 04:28pm
Brown is gone

Clark rumored to have signed 5 yr contract, expires same time as demko

Brad shaw and Kyle gustafson hired

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-announce-coaching-staff-updates/c-325270068

This post was edited by Secksii on Jun 9 2021 04:29pm
Gold: 2,647.74
Jun 9 2021 06:40pm
Quote (Secksii @ Jun 9 2021 03:28pm)
Brown is gone

Clark rumored to have signed 5 yr contract, expires same time as demko

Brad shaw and Kyle gustafson hired

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-announce-coaching-staff-updates/c-325270068

finally some good fucking news
Jun 10 2021 05:45pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ 9 Jun 2021 17:40)
finally some good fucking news

I like the Shaw hire, finally an experienced nhl coach added to greens staff. What worries me is that he will be an associate coach, basically oversee everything and give his input and opinion from his angle to all the coaching staff. Something he has never done, maybe he can do well on this new role, but I feel like it's a waste not to use him for something he's already proven to be great at, which is coaching the players defensive game.

Baumer will still be the team's defensive coach... Hopefully Brad will help him out and he can adjust. Giving up a ton of high danger chances and collapsing defensively majority of the time isn't good news for the team.

Brown was a bit weird, he's a very experienced coach and one of the top pp coaches in the league. Credit to the sedins as well. With the roster the Canucks had the last 4 years, he still managed above decent results. Problem is consistency... 1 year, the Canucks would be a top pp team in the league, next year be shitty, next year be top again etc. I didn't like the fact that the Canucks had to drop pass 24/7, and watching Hughes do it was sad. It's an effective Strat when used correctly, but I feel like the team used it 110% of the time so other teams didn't mind cheating to pick off the drop pass and go the other way. Successful teams have the drop pass as an option, and use it when they feel it's necessary, while the Canucks used it like they had no other option. Another thing that irked me was the players not moving their fucking feet and staying stationary on the powerplay. Jason King is the new PP coach, no prior NHL experience. High risk to take when someone like brown made this team look like crap on pp every other year, let's see how king does. Shaw did say he can help with this as well, since he managed pk for cbj, and knows what would work on the PP or not.

Jun 15 2021 06:10am
Chris Gear assistant gm interview summary from reddit

-On the Canucks Alumni tournament: The alumni mean a lot to the organization, a fantastic group of guys who do a lot for the community, and its great that as an organization to keep connected to these guys who meant a lot to the community when they were playing. A lot of guys decide to make their post-playing home here and the appreciates that

-Been a busy couple of weeks since the season ended. Glad to get the coaching situation sorted, now dealing with the transition from Utica to Abbotsford and also meeting with the scouting department both amateur for the draft and pro for the expansion draft.

-On the expansion draft: Don't have much to do, a lot of the guys are exempt and the rest will "take care of itself". The team is looking at the expansion draft as a possibility to improve through trade on forward or on defense since they are so well situated for expansion.

-Team is looking at freeing up cap space and also at teams who are in a worse expansion position than the Canucks who don't want to lose a player for nothing.

-On Ian Clark: There was never a doubt in the team's mind that they wanted him back, he was kept in the loop and told about the hierarchy that the head coaching position needed to get sorted first. There was always a risk with his imposed deadline but throughout the year they were confident that a deal would get done.

-On Hughes and Pettersson contracts: At this point anything is on the table (in regards to term), the discussions with the agents haven't been that in depth yet. Those two and Thatcher Demko are the three players that are so important to get done, and Gear feels really good about where they ended up with Demko. Gear doesn't necessarily see Pettersson and Hughes as being linked despite their shared agent.

-Always have to account for offer sheets, although they don't get used much. The team has a lot of cap space right now but Gear mentions that they are cognisent of the threat and will ensure that they don't get Hughes inked before Petey so they won't get in a possible situation where a team can offer Pettersson more than the Canucks have in cap. (Remember Hughes is not offer sheet eligible but Pettersson is). Gear feels confident in the fact that the team will get things done.

-The team has a budget set aside in terms of what they think Pettersson and Hughes will get in order to do other business. Want to get those deals done early of course, but the team is prepared regardless of how long it takes.

-On Edler: if Alex wants to keep playing there will likely be a desire to bring him back. A player like that does not want to finish his career during a season like just happened with no fans.

-Hope to get something done with Hamonic as well, Hamonic likes it in Vancouver and he famously prefers Western Canada. Too early to say where that ends up but he was a good fit this year.

-On the 9th overall draft pick: The pick at nine will be a player who will help the team long term, if that pick is traded Benning wants to ensure that it is a player that is young enough to help the team for a long time.

Jun 26 2021 09:47am
seems like Edler will be back, Canucks called his agent yesterday. Started a template, expect the announcement to be after the seattle expansion draft.

His footspeed heavily declined this season, but he was still solid, and was relied heavily as a shutdown pair with Schmidt. Sucks the Canucks do not have anyone ready to take over his minutes.

I hope it's under 3m/yr. It would be awesome if he sign's 1yr/1mil til he finally hangs it up, but i highly doubt that lol. If he signs for like 2.5m/yr, i'll be happy. It shows how much lack of depth we got in the backend considering he is still doing the heavy lifting, when he should be mentoring and playing 3rd pairing at this stage.

Go Back To Hockey Topic List
Prev1744745746747748869Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll