d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Hockey > Official Vancouver Canucks Fan Thread > We're All Canucks
Prev1746747748749750874Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 17,801.00
Jul 6 2021 06:04pm
Rumors about Schmidt wanting a trade are getting louder.

The court of public opinion seems to think Schmidt did not meet expectation and he should be traded.

I disagree and hope he stays. We need him.
Gold: 2,647.74
Jul 6 2021 07:45pm
Quote (Killingyouall @ Jul 6 2021 05:04pm)
Rumors about Schmidt wanting a trade are getting louder.

The court of public opinion seems to think Schmidt did not meet expectation and he should be traded.

I disagree and hope he stays. We need him.

It's more like Schmidt's camp demanded a trade. He had signed long term with Vegas then got dumped on a cap squeeze. He's the one defenseman who can actually play defense night in and out, makes no sense to trade him to "improve" the team considering he won't fetch much due to his cap hit.

Gold: 8,732.50
Jul 6 2021 07:54pm
The rumor is hilarious though, cuz they all say they cannot confirm if it's true or not.

Like dahliwal said Schmidt camp demands trade, then says this

https://mobile.twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1411079597916000256?s=19

:rofl:

Drance earlier today also said similar shit, he tried to ask around, but couldn't really confirm anything. He pretty much THINKS he's demanding a trade cuz other media are also creating the noise.

"I think there is something to the rumors, but I don't know that there is something as dramatic as a trade request"

"I believe that, well I don't believe, I think that the Canucks have informed Schmidt's camp that Jim Benning will do whatever it takes to improve the club -- that to me means that there is some smoke to some of this discussion, some of these rumors ... (but) the extent of it is being played pretty close to the vest"

I don't blame Schmidt tho, moving to lolcanada, covid, not able to gel with new teammates, city, being forced to play shutdown role with edler, used a lot differently than he was in Vegas even if he was on shutdown duties there etc.

This post was edited by Secksii on Jul 6 2021 07:56pm
Gold: 12,140.00
Jul 7 2021 09:17pm
Most players simply look better on good teams and worse on bad ones.

It's a team game, good teams work as a unit.

Our forward group lacks both offensive skill and defensive ability, which is obviously a dangerous mix. Our D isn't great in general but they don't get any help.

I didn't think Schmidt was bad, but he could have been better, especially early. I wouldn't be heartbroken if we moved on especially since we paid very little for him.

Funny how even Benning's best trade by far has backfired.

This post was edited by LuLer on Jul 7 2021 09:17pm
Jul 7 2021 09:26pm
Quote (LuLer @ Jul 7 2021 08:17pm)
Most players simply look better on good teams and worse on bad ones.

It's a team game, good teams work as a unit.

Our forward group lacks both offensive skill and defensive ability, which is obviously a dangerous mix. Our D isn't great in general but they don't get any help.

I didn't think Schmidt was bad, but he could have been better, especially early. I wouldn't be heartbroken if we moved on especially since we paid very little for him.

Funny how even Benning's best trade by far has backfired.

Green has no discernable system other than skate really fast to score and turtle to defend. No idea how Jimbo saved his job without even sacrificing a mediocre coach
Jul 9 2021 02:13am
Quote (Hizkuntza @ 7 Jul 2021 20:26)
Green has no discernable system other than skate really fast to score and turtle to defend. No idea how Jimbo saved his job without even sacrificing a mediocre coach

I mean it's pretty easy, you just say yes to aqualini and you're safe lol.

When green's system works, it's amazing. A great example is the win against Winnipeg after the Canucks finally got a good practice in. The problem with greens system is unsustainable in a 82 game season, as everybody has to play at minimum 100% if not 110%. Only a select few players seem to do that on nightly basis.

The current team is way too divided and top heavy imo. Basically pp2 is non existent and we can only rely on pp1. Top 6 can keep up, but the bottom 6 gets caved in most of the time. Our backend is also a mess, with edler still being one of the crucial pieces, when hes close to retiring. Hopefully after this season, the bottom 6 gets revamped with players that can keep up in the league and with all the cap space fill the necessary holes the Canucks desperately need, like a top 6 player, 3c, ton of defenseman that can play actual defense to help Hughes, Schmidt, Rathbone be able to confidently play their game.

Jul 9 2021 01:52pm
Quote (Secksii @ Jul 9 2021 01:13am)
I mean it's pretty easy, you just say yes to aqualini and you're safe lol.

When green's system works, it's amazing. A great example is the win against Winnipeg after the Canucks finally got a good practice in. The problem with greens system is unsustainable in a 82 game season, as everybody has to play at minimum 100% if not 110%. Only a select few players seem to do that on nightly basis.

The current team is way too divided and top heavy imo. Basically pp2 is non existent and we can only rely on pp1. Top 6 can keep up, but the bottom 6 gets caved in most of the time. Our backend is also a mess, with edler still being one of the crucial pieces, when hes close to retiring. Hopefully after this season, the bottom 6 gets revamped with players that can keep up in the league and with all the cap space fill the necessary holes the Canucks desperately need, like a top 6 player, 3c, ton of defenseman that can play actual defense to help Hughes, Schmidt, Rathbone be able to confidently play their game.

Vegas plays similarly but what's different is exactly as you said - we don't have the depth to back it up and end up wearing down our top players to keep the pedal to the metal.

I'd like to think of the team's current state by imagining a scenario where we had Trotz coaching - would it be good enough? Half our blueline can't defend and Motte aside our bottom 6 forwards either can't skate, play the puck or have a brain at all. The team only "works" with miraculous goaltending like we got from Demko, and it only got us as far as the 2nd round. Literally any other team remaining in the POs then goes all the way.

This post was edited by Hizkuntza on Jul 9 2021 01:53pm
Jul 15 2021 10:23am
Rumor is that Seattle is willing to take Holtby if we retain some of his contract. I feel like Jimmy shouldnt have mentioned anything to Seattle and let them pick whoever. It was either gonna be a bottom 6 forward (macewen/gadjovich) or Holtby lol. Also some teams also called about Holtby as well.

Benning is also looking for two top 9 players (guessing 3c and top 6) and dmen.

Schmidt wanting out denied once again by Benning. Imac asks

After reports that both the team and player may be looking for a trade, can you bring us up to date on the Nate Schmidt situation?

There is no Nate Schmidt situation. Teams call us about our players all the time and sometimes that gets out there. But he hasn’t asked to be moved or anything like that.

So you expect him back with the Canucks next season?

We listen to teams whenever they ask about our players. You don’t rule anything out, and if I think there’s a way to improve our team, I’ll consider it. But he hasn’t asked to be traded.

Benning turned into a professional poker player/politician. Although he's too naive/honest to big brain answer like this, I'm gonna lean it being true that Schmidt never asked to be traded.
Jul 15 2021 11:01am
Don't see why Seattle would even entertain Holtby @ full price when there are probably better/cheaper goalies available through expansion and FA.

It would make sense for us to try to get rid of that money if we actually needed it to make room for an important piece (top-4 D-man or 3C).

Bishop just waived his NMC. He's older and more injury prone but can actually still play when he's in the net - seems like a better choice than Holtby.

This post was edited by LuLer on Jul 15 2021 11:05am
Jul 16 2021 04:58am
So Holtby's cap hit would only be 500k this year (albeit 1.9M next year) if we buy him out.

I imagine this happens if Benning is close to one of his prized UFA acquisitions.

Even if we buyout 2-4 players we still don't have too much money to fill all the holes unless Edler signs for like 1M which I doubt.
Go Back To Hockey Topic List
Prev1746747748749750874Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll