d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1202920302031203220332039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Apr 10 2019 03:02am
Quote (sven00100 @ Mar 6 2019 12:32pm)
Hey Raynor!

I am sorry I keep coming with things I'm sure you've answered before... I've been more than a little off track for more than a little while and I'm finding a lack of direction is largely demotivating. I have let myself go entirely for the last 2 years... I was in a relatively sedentary job that was high in stress where I was working 60-65 hours a week with no real time off, and my diet and exercise became relatively non-existent.

As a background, I am:
6'6"
262 lbs
30 years old

I still work in pharmacy, (/e/ now ~40 hours per week /e/) where I am given up to 1x 30 minute break, though often it is not plausible to take the whole break, and I am standing for the whole shift (up to 14 hours, though usually not exceeding 12 hours). One of my challenges is on 12 hour shifts where between getting ready, driving, and working, my day is already 14 hours with only 1 opportunity for a proper meal. It is possible that I can snack at work, but it is also difficult as finger food is usually unsafe to graze on with the possibility of drug dust contamination. My understanding has always been that having more meals is better, so I may need to try to make those 12 hour days okay and work on more small meals and snacking on days I do not work so long. I also have poor water intake at the moment (also partly due to the job) as I try not to step out to the restroom too much, but I am planning on changing that, because I can't let my health suffer for my job.

I think my current ideal weight would be somewhere in the 210 range based on my muscle mass, though I'm not entirely sure. Based on my inability to eat many small meals on some days I have been feeling that a ketogenic diet would not be ideal for me, but I'm open to your thoughts. I am also not sure of the balance of sleep vs. exercise on the days I work 12 hour shifts--If it comes down to me having to make the choice between 8 hours of sleep or 6 hours of sleep and getting exercise, I really don't know what I should do (so far I have opted for sleep).

Since building muscle mass before cutting weight and trying to adjust my lifestyle seems like an unhealthy option (I feel like I shouldn't go up in weight), my thought was that I should go straight into a cut, though I haven't been to the gym more than sporadically in 2 years, so I don't have good stabilization muscles or endurance, so I'm not really sure how to approach exercise (so as not to injure myself). I am just hoping for some advice on how to handle my food intake and starting my exercise to accommodate my strange work schedule, as well as potentially a macro split/estimated calorie intake.

Sorry for the disorganization.
I appreciate any help you can give!
~Steven

Hey there. Given your current situation, I think you would best benefit from an Intermittent Fasting diet, in conjunction with a basic strength training routine. This will not get you building huge amount of mass, but instead will help you cut down bodyfat % and also accommodate to your schedule. Given that you work 12-14 hours, this would be quite easy to work around.

Intermittent fasting traditionally focuses on either 16 hours fasted and 8 hours fed, 18 hours fasted and 6 hours fed, or 20 hours fasted and 4 hours fed. The greater the fast, typically the more pronounced the fat loss.

So for your schedule, an example would be:

Sleep for 6-8 hours (fasted)
Wake up, morning routine, and go to work for 12 hours (do not eat at work)
At the end of work, you break the fast and begin to eat for the next 4 hours that you are awake, effectively doing the 20/4 intermittent fasting cycle.

You will need to eat around 2,200 calories in those 4 hours, which is easier said than done. Usually after fasting the entire day, the first meal will satiate you and you won't want to eat again. You will have to stick to faster digesting foods for the first meal to combat this, and finish with slow digesting foods at the last meal.

Example:

During the 4 hours of eating:

Meal 1 - Start with 2 cups of cooked white rice, 8 ounces of chicken breast w/ BBQ or Teriyaki sauce, 2 cups of green veggies (broccoli/green beans/etc) - approx 1,100 calories

Meal 2 - Whey Protein Shake (50g), 1.5 cups of whole grain cereal with 8oz 2% milk, 1 banana (approx 600 cals)

Meal 3 - 1 cup 1-2% fat cottage cheese, 2tbsp peanut butter, handful of mixed nuts, 1/2 cup mixed berries or fruit (approx 500 cals)

Once you finish meal 3, you can go to sleep and repeat the day again. Keep this schedule even on days that you do not work in order to maximize fat loss and maintain your schedule. Furthermore, you can workout at ANY time during the fast, although it is usually recommended to workout right before eating the first meal (if possible). If not, it's fine to throw it in wherever you can.

Hope this works out for you.
Apr 10 2019 03:11am
Quote (leemyungbak @ Apr 1 2019 02:28pm)
Hi Ray, my work is from 8am-5pm so you'd think i'd be able to adapt to a good circadian rhythm. However, I find myself the most energetic like after midnight. This is very exhausting as I need to work from 8-5 if I'm up all night. If i manage to fix it for a bit, i always seem to revert back to being up late and screwing my sleep schedule. Any advice on this? Appreciate it.

I too have the same issue, which is an abnormal circadian rhythm, usually referred to as being a "night owl". Don't worry, this is totally normal for some, and doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you. Moreover, people with this predisposition usually are shown to be more creative, better at inductive reasoning, and ultimately secure better paying jobs.

The solution to this problem is usually to give into your natural body rhythm and find a career field that suits this. Example, in the medical field, doctors, nurses, paramedics, etc., are always needed at night. Numerous other professions have night shifts, and self-employment bears flexible hours.

If you have your heart set on changing your sleeping pattern, the only way is to use self discipline, combined with sleep deprivation, and force yourself onto a schedule. Example, skip 24-36 hours worth of sleep. After doing so, you will be absolutely exhausted. Give into the feeling of sleep at a normal time (9-10PM). Set at alarm for the time you need to be awake and upon waking you will still feel tired. Continue on your day as usual, and do not consume any caffeine or stimulants past 3PM. Get ready for bed at the same time as you did the night before, but 30 minutes prior, try to start "winding down" and relaxing. By 9-10PM, you should theoretically be able to sleep. If not, then you most likely will require a sleep aid to force yourself into a rhythm that disagrees with your own natural one.
Gold: 3,804.50
Apr 27 2019 03:01am
i started seeing the hype for the beyond meat, impossible burger, etc. are they fine nutritionally or do they have any ingredients that should be avoided?
Apr 27 2019 11:31pm
how does pure water compare with mixed drinks with respect to hydration? for example, if i drink 1 L of protein shake and 1 L of orange juice, is that just as hydrating as 2 L of pure water? 75% as effective?
May 10 2019 08:09pm
so i'm looking at this monk-fruit / sugar free syrups with a lot of fiber. im thinking it sounds really good. and i started reading the reviews, and people say it uses the Soluble corn fiber aka maltodextrin, and it will spike your blood sugar as well as take you out of ketosis. is it fine to consume otherwise? or is it something that's better to be avoided and just eat real maple syrup / caramel?

https://www.choczero.com/products/sugarfree-caramel-syrup-sauce

May 18 2019 02:46pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Apr 27 2019 05:01am)
i started seeing the hype for the beyond meat, impossible burger, etc. are they fine nutritionally or do they have any ingredients that should be avoided?

The ingredients appear to be fine overall. Pea protein is of no special concern, nor is there any specific concern for any of the items within. Nutritionally, they are OK - less protein and more fat than a traditional hamburger of the same size, however, totally vegan if that's your choice.

I have tried one and they taste more closely like a fast food burger (bland with a slight saltiness, but not unpleasant). With typical accoutrements, such as lettuce/pickles/mustard/etc., they taste reasonably good.
May 18 2019 02:48pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Apr 28 2019 01:31am)
how does pure water compare with mixed drinks with respect to hydration? for example, if i drink 1 L of protein shake and 1 L of orange juice, is that just as hydrating as 2 L of pure water? 75% as effective?

It is not as effective. Pure water with a proper balance of electrolytes will hydrate better than anything else for several reasons.

1. Mixing the water with any other product takes time for the digestive system to separate everything, and thus additional time to hydrate.

2. Mixing the water with other products reduces the amount of actual water you are taking in (in terms of equal volume), and thus provides less hydration.

3. Certain products when mixed with water can actually act as a diuretic, and thus have a slight dehydrating effect.

although, in totality, you will STILL hydrate, just not to the same efficiency as proper electrolyte balanced water unto itself.
May 18 2019 02:53pm
Quote (carteblanche @ May 10 2019 10:09pm)
so i'm looking at this monk-fruit / sugar free syrups with a lot of fiber. im thinking it sounds really good. and i started reading the reviews, and people say it uses the Soluble corn fiber aka maltodextrin, and it will spike your blood sugar as well as take you out of ketosis. is it fine to consume otherwise? or is it something that's better to be avoided and just eat real maple syrup / caramel?

https://www.choczero.com/products/sugarfree-caramel-syrup-sauce

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1415/9740/files/label-caramel_large.png

Nutritionally the product is keto safe. Liquid Vegetable Fiber is not maltodextrin, at least it isn't supposed to be. That being said, fiber unto itself should not affect your blood glucose levels. The easiest way to test this theory is to use a keto strip and check ketosis before consuming the product. Then, go ahead and use it (with another item that is pure keto friendly), and test your keto status approx 2-4 hours later and see what happens. If the strips are the same, you are still in ketosis. If not, then it's throwing you off.

Overall, it should be fine.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 57,693.62
Jun 23 2019 03:48pm
Hi Raynor,

Do you have any recommendations to improve ankle flexibility or how to improve a squat with low ankle flexibility? I have extremely tight Achilles that I even had surgery on in the past. I've heard good things about Nike Romaleos 3 shoes, but I don't think that will be enough for my squat.
Jun 26 2019 04:30pm
Quote (Ryans @ Jun 23 2019 05:48pm)
Hi Raynor,

Do you have any recommendations to improve ankle flexibility or how to improve a squat with low ankle flexibility? I have extremely tight Achilles that I even had surgery on in the past. I've heard good things about Nike Romaleos 3 shoes, but I don't think that will be enough for my squat.

Before we continue, what surgery did you have and for what reason? Did you sustain a specific injury?

Secondly, is the flexibility the result of surgery, or a natural issue you've had?
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1202920302031203220332039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll