d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev1202820292030203120322039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.01
Dec 24 2018 02:55pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Dec 22 2018 12:42am)
Please see an ENT doctor and have them use a rhinoscope to check. If nothing serious shows up, you need to see an allergist and get tested.

see here for further:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=376255195
Allergy and Sinus Relief Guide

As always, appreciate the advice.
Gold: 25.65
Dec 26 2018 02:59pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Dec 21 2018 10:43pm)
Was that fasting glucose levels??? or a few hours after a meal? Post meal glucose can be as high as 140.

edit - 2nd question -

Stretching in general will improve your flexibility. Yoga would be ideal, as well as traditional static/dynamic stretches pre/post/intra workout. Moreover, not every body is alike. You may have to modify certain exercises to achieve a position of neutrality and comfort.

I ate at like 8:45pm. 12.5 hours later at like 9:15am I had the blood drawn. (in between that interval i slept from like midnight-7am)

and thanks -- good perspective on everyones diff. nevertheless, I'll incorporate stretching/perhaps yoga
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Jan 15 2019 08:15pm
Quote (leemyungbak @ Dec 26 2018 04:59pm)
I ate at like 8:45pm. 12.5 hours later at like 9:15am I had the blood drawn. (in between that interval i slept from like midnight-7am)

and thanks -- good perspective on everyones diff. nevertheless, I'll incorporate stretching/perhaps yoga

Your glucose is SLIGHTLY high for fasting. This is not necessarily an issue, but it COULD be. I would like you to give me an example of your daily diet routine, complete with supplements, food, and beverages (including alcohol if you drink). Furthermore, post any medical conditions and/or prescription medication that you take.
Jan 16 2019 12:14pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Jan 15 2019 07:15pm)
Your glucose is SLIGHTLY high for fasting. This is not necessarily an issue, but it COULD be. I would like you to give me an example of your daily diet routine, complete with supplements, food, and beverages (including alcohol if you drink). Furthermore, post any medical conditions and/or prescription medication that you take.

prior to test results: 7-8 months of 7/11 pizza, ice cream, fast food burgers, instant ramen, sushi, whiskey (neat or rocks or coke sometimes), garbage and crap, and i seized working out completely frankly
I recently got a new job 9 months ago involving my practice and career goals which was a big transition because i was used to an easy job where i finish everything in 20hrs a week, and was on facebook for the other 20 hrs. I had more available "willpower stores" to be more focused and meticulous with meal prep and exercise.

now i'm trying this non-perfectionist approach after being devastated/induced a sense of urgency about my 5.8 ACL/107 fasting glucose, 136/89 blood pressure, prediabetes and hypertension-having, GAD, MDD, ADHD (all new) diagnoses:

breakfast: 4 eggs w salt/pepper may tabasco, oatmeal (plain)
before noon: smoothie: plain full fat greek yogurt, whey isolate (ON), kale, frozen berries, adam's pb, flax milk
lunch: chipolte: with just lettuce meat and guac OR sushi place near my work (sashimi mostly, maybe a plain tuna roll (rice is prolly sugar'd)
dinner: some kind of meat with coconut aminos, salt, pepper, onion, crushed garlic and bag of frozen veggies (or fresh veggies if I have time) stir fried and brown rice
finally PWO here (water and the whey isolate powder) if i miss working out in AM, or first thing in morning before breakfast if i imagined to get my ass up at 5:30
cba doing the cottage cheese thing before bed but will incorporate if u deem necessary

allergic to tree nuts...

occasional dinner substitues: one item from trash menu above to stay sane but usually try to be more mindful (if i get a burger, use lettuce wrap instead, order charcuterie and cheese board without eating bread, etc...) and one or two drinks max (no cocktails, just plain whiskey or vodka soda or something)

occasional dinner subs are 1-3 a week maximum

This post was edited by leemyungbak on Jan 16 2019 12:27pm
Jan 25 2019 08:55pm
Quote (leemyungbak @ Jan 16 2019 02:14pm)
prior to test results: 7-8 months of 7/11 pizza, ice cream, fast food burgers, instant ramen, sushi, whiskey (neat or rocks or coke sometimes), garbage and crap, and i seized working out completely frankly
I recently got a new job 9 months ago involving my practice and career goals which was a big transition because i was used to an easy job where i finish everything in 20hrs a week, and was on facebook for the other 20 hrs. I had more available "willpower stores" to be more focused and meticulous with meal prep and exercise.

now i'm trying this non-perfectionist approach after being devastated/induced a sense of urgency about my 5.8 ACL/107 fasting glucose, 136/89 blood pressure, prediabetes and hypertension-having, GAD, MDD, ADHD (all new) diagnoses:

breakfast: 4 eggs w salt/pepper may tabasco, oatmeal (plain)
before noon: smoothie: plain full fat greek yogurt, whey isolate (ON), kale, frozen berries, adam's pb, flax milk
lunch: chipolte: with just lettuce meat and guac OR sushi place near my work (sashimi mostly, maybe a plain tuna roll (rice is prolly sugar'd)
dinner: some kind of meat with coconut aminos, salt, pepper, onion, crushed garlic and bag of frozen veggies (or fresh veggies if I have time) stir fried and brown rice
finally PWO here (water and the whey isolate powder) if i miss working out in AM, or first thing in morning before breakfast if i imagined to get my ass up at 5:30
cba doing the cottage cheese thing before bed but will incorporate if u deem necessary

allergic to tree nuts...

occasional dinner substitues: one item from trash menu above to stay sane but usually try to be more mindful (if i get a burger, use lettuce wrap instead, order charcuterie and cheese board without eating bread, etc...) and one or two drinks max (no cocktails, just plain whiskey or vodka soda or something)

occasional dinner subs are 1-3 a week maximum

That diet will CERTAINLY do it. You are lucky to have glucose that low despite that extremely poor diet.

Your new diet is MUCH better. Make sure to get at least an hour of physical activity per day, 5-6 days a week. Also, take Omega-3 (500mg 3x per day), and drink at least 1 gal of water per day. Moreover, take multivitamins (NOW! Adam is good), and keep your cardio up. Cottage cheese before bed isn't necessary. Casein protein or other slow digesting protein is necessary for bulking as it keeps a steady stream of aminos digesting while your sleep. If you are just trying to get in shape and fix your issues, this is not necessary.

Gold: 361.00
Feb 3 2019 10:43pm
Do you believe in 'untapped' strength, or retard strength for lack of a better word?

Eg the old wives tale of the pregnant mother lifting a car off herself etc

I've heard on good authority that Tom Martin is on the spectrum and i truly believe this helps him tap into 'retard strength'. 410 kg deadlift here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3nttMlhH_k

Or do you believe that x amount of muscle fibres can move x amount of weight, and the other factors being technic, training history, injuries etc

I personally believe i can tap into retard strength for deadlifts

Feb 26 2019 11:37pm
Quote (Excusemem8 @ Feb 4 2019 12:43am)
Do you believe in 'untapped' strength, or retard strength for lack of a better word?

Eg the old wives tale of the pregnant mother lifting a car off herself etc

I've heard on good authority that Tom Martin is on the spectrum and i truly believe this helps him tap into 'retard strength'. 410 kg deadlift here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3nttMlhH_k

Or do you believe that x amount of muscle fibres can move x amount of weight, and the other factors being technic, training history, injuries etc

I personally believe i can tap into retard strength for deadlifts

There are a few answers to this. First of all, being less able to feel pain and/or understanding of consequence of injury does actually help, as it automatically overcomes the mind-over-matter portion of any lift.

That being said, it can't account for a huge strength difference, but more like a marginal ~10% difference. Other factors can include the timing of the muscle fiber activation, such as cases like Dennis Rogers. Massive fast twitch muscle application can generate a ton of force for an explosive movement.
Gold: 6.66
Mar 3 2019 05:23am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Feb 27 2019 07:37am)
There are a few answers to this. First of all, being less able to feel pain and/or understanding of consequence of injury does actually help, as it automatically overcomes the mind-over-matter portion of any lift.

That being said, it can't account for a huge strength difference, but more like a marginal ~10% difference. Other factors can include the timing of the muscle fiber activation, such as cases like Dennis Rogers. Massive fast twitch muscle application can generate a ton of force for an explosive movement.

I think medical knowledge gives us some good insight on this, too. People who have been electrocuted may get bone fractures from their muscles contracting without any regulation from the nervous system. The electric impulse overrides any protective reflex the nervous system may try to get through and the muscle contracts at its true maximal force resulting in injuries. The theoretical basis is indeed sound and it's plausible that an adrenaline surge can override the protective reflexes. Dunno how legit the last part is though.

Sorry for butting in, not intending to hijack your thread.

This post was edited by Neptunus on Mar 3 2019 05:24am
Gold: 2,685.00
Mar 6 2019 10:32am
Hey Raynor!

I am sorry I keep coming with things I'm sure you've answered before... I've been more than a little off track for more than a little while and I'm finding a lack of direction is largely demotivating. I have let myself go entirely for the last 2 years... I was in a relatively sedentary job that was high in stress where I was working 60-65 hours a week with no real time off, and my diet and exercise became relatively non-existent.

As a background, I am:
6'6"
262 lbs
30 years old

I still work in pharmacy, (/e/ now ~40 hours per week /e/) where I am given up to 1x 30 minute break, though often it is not plausible to take the whole break, and I am standing for the whole shift (up to 14 hours, though usually not exceeding 12 hours). One of my challenges is on 12 hour shifts where between getting ready, driving, and working, my day is already 14 hours with only 1 opportunity for a proper meal. It is possible that I can snack at work, but it is also difficult as finger food is usually unsafe to graze on with the possibility of drug dust contamination. My understanding has always been that having more meals is better, so I may need to try to make those 12 hour days okay and work on more small meals and snacking on days I do not work so long. I also have poor water intake at the moment (also partly due to the job) as I try not to step out to the restroom too much, but I am planning on changing that, because I can't let my health suffer for my job.

I think my current ideal weight would be somewhere in the 210 range based on my muscle mass, though I'm not entirely sure. Based on my inability to eat many small meals on some days I have been feeling that a ketogenic diet would not be ideal for me, but I'm open to your thoughts. I am also not sure of the balance of sleep vs. exercise on the days I work 12 hour shifts--If it comes down to me having to make the choice between 8 hours of sleep or 6 hours of sleep and getting exercise, I really don't know what I should do (so far I have opted for sleep).

Since building muscle mass before cutting weight and trying to adjust my lifestyle seems like an unhealthy option (I feel like I shouldn't go up in weight), my thought was that I should go straight into a cut, though I haven't been to the gym more than sporadically in 2 years, so I don't have good stabilization muscles or endurance, so I'm not really sure how to approach exercise (so as not to injure myself). I am just hoping for some advice on how to handle my food intake and starting my exercise to accommodate my strange work schedule, as well as potentially a macro split/estimated calorie intake.

Sorry for the disorganization.
I appreciate any help you can give!
~Steven

This post was edited by sven00100 on Mar 6 2019 10:33am
Apr 1 2019 12:28pm
Hi Ray, my work is from 8am-5pm so you'd think i'd be able to adapt to a good circadian rhythm. However, I find myself the most energetic like after midnight. This is very exhausting as I need to work from 8-5 if I'm up all night. If i manage to fix it for a bit, i always seem to revert back to being up late and screwing my sleep schedule. Any advice on this? Appreciate it.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1202820292030203120322039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll