d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher >
Poll > Did You Learn This Yet, Or Not?
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 151.30
May 18 2008 05:43pm
Quote (juliusjuice @ Sun, May 18 2008, 05:46pm)
ive tested this before and found that at high levels, with high ee and high str, additional strength adds more damage than additional ee. just wanted to add this.

This is because most ppl do not have 200 str....think about it as maximizing area....if you have 400 meters of fence ....maximizing would be 100 by 100 square, not a 150 by 50 right? Well the same goes for STR and EE...if you already have 200 EE but only 100 STR then you would maximize your damage by adding STR not EE (Since you want to get it closer to equilibrium, not further away)

These instances should help anyone who doesnt want to do the calculations

If you have Even STR/EE (example 100 EE & 100 STR) then adding to either would be an even upgrade...add str or add ee, or better yet, add even amount of both
But at this point 1 STR = 1 EE

If you have more STR than EE (example 50 EE & 100 STR) then in order to maximize your upgrade, you would want to get more EE on your weapon
At this point 1 STR < 1 EE

If you have more EE than STR (example 100 EE & 50 STR) then in order to maximize your upgrade, you want to get more STR on your character (through charm/armor/weapon)
At this point 1 STR is actually > 1 EE!

Since many ppl have High EE weapons, and not as much str (unless they have godly unspawnables in SC tongue.gif) this is the main reason why adding STR at the high lvls, when you have really high EE weapons, would increase your damage more than adding more EE

Hope this helps ppl smile.gif

And @ Dragon_Reborn : Idk if it was one of your threads a while ago or not, but i read this somewhere and have been using it every time i think about buying something to check how much of an upgrade it is.....seems to be accurate to <1% off...which is amazing since we dont have the code that Paul used smile.gif
keep up the good work!!!! hug.gif

Edit: yep...it was you http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=14522638&f=272 icon_pointl.gif all i know is that i was going to write a guide since I couldnt find this...but i guess you beat me to it by bumping this thread. lol....but thats good because i was going to try to give credit to you anyway, even though i couldnt remember who wrote it lol

This post was edited by mfmage on May 18 2008 05:48pm
Gold: 340.00
May 18 2008 05:52pm
Quote (mfmage @ Sun, 18 May 2008, 17:43)
This is because most ppl do not have 200 str....think about it as maximizing area....if you have 400 meters of fence ....maximizing would be 100 by 100 square, not a 150 by 50 right? Well the same goes for STR and EE...if you already have 200 EE but only 100 STR then you would maximize your damage by adding STR not EE (Since you want to get it closer to equilibrium, not further away)

you still have to take into account the .95 vs 1.0 difference
so you're not going even str and ee in this case to make your area the largest
to maximize you would need 5str more than your ee
its simple but still worth pointing out
May 18 2008 06:24pm
Quote (jbpellerin @ Sun, May 18 2008, 07:52pm)
you still have to take into account the .95 vs 1.0 difference
so you're not going even str and ee in this case to make your area the largest
to maximize you would need 5str more than your ee
its simple but still worth pointing out

I believe this to be incorrect....im sorry, but in my testing so far, i find them to be even

(Base damage) * ((100+Str)/100)*((100+EE)/100)

its not 100% yet...im sure im missing something but i have never been more than 1% off and never more than 3 damage off...and thats only with high damage situations

This post was edited by mfmage on May 18 2008 06:24pm
Gold: 615.56
May 18 2008 06:53pm
So I'm assuming that there was, yet again, no conclusion reached? I'll throw in my two cents--

If the base damage of a weapon is low, I've found STR to be as or more effective than EE. Say a level 0 item.

a high level item, EE is way more valuable. More base damage = more EE effectiveness.
Gold: 38,115.35
May 18 2008 07:21pm
@ mfmage's first post
You are indeed correct, and you understood my post 100% You put it very nicely, and it's easy to read. This is what people need to see

@jbpellerin's post
And you pointed out the last finite detail that he missed, and I didn't have at the time of making that post.
You are indeed correct in saying that the best combination is gained by having 5 more str than ee

@mfmage's 2nd post
What jbpellerin pointed out is indeed correct. I've done very close testing. Just look @ squiggle's example above. using my way I get the correct damage (always round down)..
for ee: 1.ee multiplier ( 1 + str/100 )
for str: 1.str-0.05 multiplier ( 0.95 + str/100 )

@knight77's post
The assumption that ee is more valuable at higher levels is not true, except for one point worth mentioning (if you're very neat about it)
if you have 3.99 damage on a lvl 0 weapon, that is still just 3 damage.
if you have 39.9 damage on a higher weapon, that is 39 damage..

for lower weapons you might lose damage because this doesn't show. I can't say for sure that your actual damage while fighing isn't 3.99, or 39.9.. this may be the case, but I don't know that ^^
And I think I can safely say that a conclusion has been reached now, regarding str/ee and damage calculations

Squiggle will be working on a java script for this. Will be interesting to see smile.gif
Gold: 4,870.88
May 18 2008 07:28pm
Quote (mfmage @ Mon, May 19 2008, 10:43am)

These instances should help anyone who doesnt want to do the calculations

If you have Even STR/EE (example 100 EE & 100 STR) then adding to either would be an even upgrade...add str or add ee, or better yet, add even amount of both
But at this point 1 STR = 1 EE

If you have more STR than EE (example 50 EE & 100 STR) then in order to maximize your upgrade, you would want to get more EE on your weapon
At this point 1 STR < 1 EE

If you have more EE than STR (example 100 EE & 50 STR) then in order to maximize your upgrade, you want to get more STR on your character (through charm/armor/weapon)
At this point 1 STR is actually > 1 EE!

Since many ppl have High EE weapons, and not as much str (unless they have godly unspawnables in SC tongue.gif) this is the main reason why adding STR at the high lvls, when you have really high EE weapons, would increase your damage more than adding more EE

Hope this helps ppl smile.gif

And @ Dragon_Reborn : Idk if it was one of your threads a while ago or not, but i read this somewhere and have been using it every time i think about buying something to check how much of an upgrade it is.....seems to be accurate to <1% off...which is amazing since we dont have the code that Paul used smile.gif
keep up the good work!!!! hug.gif

Edit: yep...it was you http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=14522638&f=272 icon_pointl.gif all i know is that i was going to write a guide since I couldnt find this...but i guess you beat me to it by bumping this thread. lol....but thats good because i was going to try to give credit to you anyway, even though i couldnt remember who wrote it lol

sounds interested

based on the formula can u provided a mathematical reason why this is teh case based on the formula

sorry the "nerd" in me is coming out LOL

and i cant be bothered thinking of the reason

Formula i guess is thsi

Quote (Dragon_Reborn @ Mon, May 19 2008, 10:34am)
you picked the worst example to calculate on, because the base damage from that staff in his guide is wrong (typo)

The perm damage is 42-112 (not 122)

also, if you read my previous post you need this formula to find 100% accurate damage:

TD = BD * ( 1 + ee/100 ) * ( 0.95 + str/100 )
TD = total dam
BD = Base dam (look at ragnaroks guide for base damage)

Doing this I get 107-286

Test it out yourself. I would like to rewrite this guide, as I'm sure this is the correct formula (remember when doing the strength part it is 0.95 + x/100, not 1 + x/100, as with ee)

edit: Again, many people are not interested in the formula, just that they understand the importance of strength (not just the 1str = 0.90ee crap, I hate that ^^ )

May 18 2008 07:38pm
Quote (deanjones145 @ Mon, 19 May 2008, 03:28)

Yeah, you quoted the right formula.
I can try and give an easy mathematic (nerd)explanation as to why it is so.

You can write the formula like this:

TD = Tierfactors here (basedamage) * Str factors here * Ee factors here

that's an easy way.. looking at it you get this equation:

TD = t * s * e
t=tier
s=str
e=ee

here we see three different factors, that together make a product.

let's say you have about 30 of these factor products combined, in three different scenarios:

TD = 30 * 1 * 1
TD = 20 * 10 * 1
TD = 10 * 10 * 10

Can you predict which will give the largest product? The one with the most balanced stats will (just as with mfmage's explanation about "maximazing area")

This post was edited by Dragon_Reborn on May 18 2008 07:39pm
May 18 2008 07:53pm
Quote (Dragon_Reborn @ Sun, May 18 2008, 09:38pm)

here we see three different factors, that together make a product.

let's say you have about 30 of these factor products combined, in three different scenarios:

TD = 30 * 1 * 1
TD = 20 * 10 * 1
TD = 10 * 10 * 10

Can you predict which will give the largest product? The one with the most balanced stats will (just as with mfmage's explanation about "maximazing area")

Well said....i think I like your way of explaining better.....though they are the same tongue.gif

If you would like more empirical data, i would be more than happy to help you with it, that way you can get the data to Squiggle and we can all have a Program to calculate exact damage (I do the calculations in my head or on a calculator, but im sure many who dont understand the formula that well would love the idea of inputing the data (item type, tier, STR, EE) and getting out the exact damage the weapon would do.....it would help those thinking about upgrading their STR gear, or getting a higher EE weapon, and decide whether it is worth the fg investment smile.gif

This post was edited by mfmage on May 18 2008 07:54pm
May 18 2008 07:59pm
Quote (mfmage @ Mon, 19 May 2008, 03:53)
Well said....i think I like your way of explaining better.....though they are the same tongue.gif

If you would like more empirical data, i would be more than happy to help you with it, that way you can get the data to Squiggle and we can all have a Program to calculate exact damage (I do the calculations in my head or on a calculator, but im sure many who dont understand the formula that well would love the idea of inputing the data (item type, tier, STR, EE) and getting out the exact damage the weapon would do.....it would help those thinking about upgrading their STR gear, or getting a higher EE weapon, and decide whether it is worth the fg investment smile.gif

yes I agree this would be a nice addition.. This is exactly what squiggle is working on in java script /he said.. I don't know how to work with it, so I'd need somebody else to do it..

It would help alot of people out there, I'm sure.
May 18 2008 11:51pm
Quote (mfmage @ Sun, May 18 2008, 09:53pm)

lol...yea i was saying I was working with Squiggle already....and we would love to test your data...and im betting it is right, because we have always been a little over...so 95 for str makes sense

thanks man
Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll