d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > Critical Strike Mechanics And Data Collection
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 139.26
Jun 2 2022 12:23pm
Quote (Bigheaded @ Jun 2 2022 02:17pm)
it does not take into effect standard crit hits.

only implemented quickdraw and power shot so far as it's presumed each 1% of each literally gives you 1% to perform it and this is pretty easily calculated.

ill try to do some, what testing do you want me to do
low levels daggers no crit?
Gold: 19,049.13
Jun 2 2022 12:39pm
Quote (LabattBlue @ Jun 2 2022 07:23pm)

"ideally" no crit, i'd rather you played your normal game though for as i mentioned i ideally need at least 10,000 hits of each weapon at various amounts of strength/dex. So enjoy playing and get results as a side project.

I am expecting this project to last over a month, possibly upto a year.
with 2500 hits worth of data on simply polearms with varying strength/dex i have absolutely no idea what the formula is, even for a formula for polearms alone.
Not sure if it's because i don't have enough data so that some of it is higher or lower than it should be or if level is actually a factor i should be considering.

Will become clearer as i get more results and once i have something i can decide how to apply it to other weapons and having say 2500 results for daggers available with 0-5 crit, would be a good benchmark.

Might also move to daggers at some point.

For those who haven't looked in character builds and discussions, this is the damage calc so far: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RDkoYfhQSyWW0KNRYTAWZRLxVfeYGgj-nwqOwtgtSOs/edit#gid=0
Jun 2 2022 01:15pm
Quote (LabattBlue @ Jun 2 2022 07:23pm)

thinking about it, using +strength gear specifically on daggers or +dex with clubs is probably the most helpful information as this gives the greatest change in crit chance therefore more likely for me to calculate something off of it.
Optional whether or not you stat strength as personally i'd rather not fight level 60+ mobs with 100 base strength on a rogue with a dagger lol. But certainly level 0-40 should be doable with full strength gear whilst statting dex/vit as needed to finish the mq easily. However if you can stat strength as well it'd be a bonus. I suppose in my case if i used a rogue i could always swap back to my clubs later on, so this may be very doable for me.

It needs to be somewhat gradual which will be natural when levelling up anyway, like 10 levels with t0 gear, 10 levels with level 10 gear etc (feel free to change the weapon more interested in keeping the strength/dex consistent)

Looking at the summary on this page, specifically the sword one, it should in theory be possible to get 30%+ crit chance with no +crit gear
https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=80541143&f=74&o=80

My expectation is it uses the damage instances calc but in reverse, so any time you add stats but do not get a damage increase, you get a small (probably around 0.1%) crit bonus.

Also got a confirmed crit on an azapnid illusion, which is great news. one less thing to worry about. Perhaps i'm getting confused with prof.

This post was edited by Bigheaded on Jun 2 2022 01:31pm
Gold: 695.37
Jun 2 2022 01:45pm
Quote (Bigheaded @ 2 Jun 2022 15:15)
thinking about it, using +strength gear specifically on daggers or +dex with clubs is probably the most helpful information as this gives the greatest change in crit chance therefore more likely for me to calculate something off of it.
Optional whether or not you stat strength as personally i'd rather not fight level 60+ mobs with 100 base strength on a rogue with a dagger lol. But certainly level 0-40 should be doable with full strength gear whilst statting dex/vit as needed to finish the mq easily. However if you can stat strength as well it'd be a bonus. I suppose in my case if i used a rogue i could always swap back to my clubs later on, so this may be very doable for me.

It needs to be somewhat gradual which will be natural when levelling up anyway, like 10 levels with t0 gear, 10 levels with level 10 gear etc (feel free to change the weapon more interested in keeping the strength/dex consistent)

Looking at the summary on this page, specifically the sword one, it should in theory be possible to get 30%+ crit chance with no +crit gear

My expectation is it uses the damage instances calc but in reverse, so any time you add stats but do not get a damage increase, you get a small (probably around 0.1%) crit bonus.

Also got a confirmed crit on an azapnid illusion, which is great news. one less thing to worry about. Perhaps i'm getting confused with prof.

I can also confirm that you can crit on the azapnid illusion. Although it still shows in the form of a 0, its the actually crit you are looking for here and not the dmg, correct?
I would like to see how this all unfolds as I have had a lot of the same questions about its operations of mechanics
Gold: 8,698.33
Jun 2 2022 09:07pm
Quote (Bigheaded @ Jun 3 2022 07:15am)

Glad that you verified what I was saying about Azapnid illusion monsters, this is also an indicator for doing this with Sneaky as well.

Since I will be using Heavy weapons with a 1.8 sec delay, it is not hard to gather the data with 100% accuracy for ME (keyword: me.) in segments of 20 actions and taking notes, I also verify my TOTAL Actions with the data I have collected while in town even if the monster is still in the catacomb. I may drink during this time... but I am old-school and use to repetitive actions (I am a human bot) :P

I will collect the data after I complete this catacomb that I have left up all night and most of the day now before I compile it in this thread... like the last time I did it, it will be in depth, but I will keep a Concise report and a more comprehensible report like I did with BWComformity.

Oh, have to ask, are you getting similar Polearm data like my previous tests???
Jun 2 2022 11:17pm
As I was/am clearing this Catacomb from the previous Event, I just thought of something you have stipulated in this thread and your Damage Calculator thread;

Something about "X# of Instances" to calculate the damage etc (etc).

So, can I gather that you are referring in this Critical Hit CHANCE, that, the "X# of Instances" could influence the % CHANCE of a Critical Hit (dealing double damage) from the Stat "Ratio" of said weapon? And/Or have an influence on the "Critical Strike" mod from items (Weapon / Armor & Main Charm)?

Hmm... so this means like previous testing I have done with the base stats and weapon type ratio WITHOUT using "+X Critical Strike" items, could vary to this X# of instances that you have used with your Damage Calculator?

Anyway... "Critical Hit CHANCE" to me is like the % CHANCE of gaining a PROF point for that weapon... as you have stated in many posts, you have an AVERAGE of 20% CHANCE to gain +1 Proficiency point when (WHEN ... Note: excluding multiple attack/heal ABILITIES.) Melee'ing, whereas, with Casting, you have a HIGHER % CHANCE to gain +1 Proficiency point (not sure of the total %, but say around 50%?) compared to HEALING % chance of around 70% or more.

Now... since I have mentioned before with your damage calculator, and your advice was about "INSTANCES" changing the Average Damage of Staff (25/75) ratio in comparison with Sword (75/25) ratio and (AND) "ROUNDING DOWN" ... factors in with "Critical Hit CHANCE"?

I am NOT belittling you at all with my question(s) etc, I am trying to gain information that (THAT) could benefit certain WEAPON types... the ratio of Sword (longsword) vs Staff (polearm) is the same... BUT, reversed = 75/25 ... 25/75. Note: all tier weapons have the same BASE average damage, but because of these "INSTANCES", there is a 0.50 difference between Sword(long) & Staff(Pole) Avg Damage or DPS.

Hope this all makes sense and I do apologise for the Wall of Text (but then I have always been like this, and I do it to TRY and clarify what I am addressing etc)
Jun 2 2022 11:18pm
Quote (izParagonzi @ Jun 3 2022 04:07am)
Glad that you verified what I was saying about Azapnid illusion monsters, this is also an indicator for doing this with Sneaky as well.

Since I will be using Heavy weapons with a 1.8 sec delay, it is not hard to gather the data with 100% accuracy for ME (keyword: me.) in segments of 20 actions and taking notes, I also verify my TOTAL Actions with the data I have collected while in town even if the monster is still in the catacomb. I may drink during this time... but I am old-school and use to repetitive actions (I am a human bot) :P

I will collect the data after I complete this catacomb that I have left up all night and most of the day now before I compile it in this thread... like the last time I did it, it will be in depth, but I will keep a Concise report and a more comprehensible report like I did with BWComformity.

Oh, have to ask, are you getting similar Polearm data like my previous tests???

using Brad's very simplified version then yes it's similar results to this:

Compiled Polearm Crit Chance:
55str 58dex 1cs - 11.3% (n=9)
55str 72dex 0cs - 11% (n=5)
55str 78dex 0cs - 10.4% (n=5)

in general i'm using more stats and getting 12%+ crit rate, so it's similar to what i would expect. Other than the 78 dex with more crits than the 72 dex, but variation can account for that, even for 500 attacks
Jun 2 2022 11:29pm
Quote (Bigheaded @ Jun 3 2022 05:18pm)
using Brad's very simplified version then yes it's similar results to this:

Compiled Polearm Crit Chance:
55str 58dex 1cs - 11.3% (n=9)
55str 72dex 0cs - 11% (n=5)
55str 78dex 0cs - 10.4% (n=5)

in general i'm using more stats and getting 12%+ crit rate, so it's similar to what i would expect. Other than the 78 dex with more crits than the 72 dex, but variation can account for that, even for 500 attacks

In this instance, the extra 6 Dexterity (55/72 VS 55/78) the Critical Hit CHANCE looks lower, but the +6 Dexterity accounts for damage. Based on your Damage Calculator. so the negligible 0.6% ChC has been compensated by DPS.

EDIT: sorry, should have added this to my previous post, I forgot about editing it in.

This post was edited by izParagonzi on Jun 2 2022 11:30pm
Jun 2 2022 11:51pm
Quote (izParagonzi @ Jun 3 2022 06:17am)
As I was/am clearing this Catacomb from the previous Event, I just thought of something you have stipulated in this thread and your Damage Calculator thread;

Something about "X# of Instances" to calculate the damage etc (etc).

So, can I gather that you are referring in this Critical Hit CHANCE, that, the "X# of Instances" could influence the % CHANCE of a Critical Hit (dealing double damage) from the Stat "Ratio" of said weapon? And/Or have an influence on the "Critical Strike" mod from items (Weapon / Armor & Main Charm)?

Hmm... so this means like previous testing I have done with the base stats and weapon type ratio WITHOUT using "+X Critical Strike" items, could vary to this X# of instances that you have used with your Damage Calculator?

Anyway... "Critical Hit CHANCE" to me is like the % CHANCE of gaining a PROF point for that weapon... as you have stated in many posts, you have an AVERAGE of 20% CHANCE to gain +1 Proficiency point when (WHEN ... Note: excluding multiple attack/heal ABILITIES.) Melee'ing, whereas, with Casting, you have a HIGHER % CHANCE to gain +1 Proficiency point (not sure of the total %, but say around 50%?) compared to HEALING % chance of around 70% or more.

Now... since I have mentioned before with your damage calculator, and your advice was about "INSTANCES" changing the Average Damage of Staff (25/75) ratio in comparison with Sword (75/25) ratio and (AND) "ROUNDING DOWN" ... factors in with "Critical Hit CHANCE"?

I am NOT belittling you at all with my question(s) etc, I am trying to gain information that (THAT) could benefit certain WEAPON types... the ratio of Sword (longsword) vs Staff (polearm) is the same... BUT, reversed = 75/25 ... 25/75. Note: all tier weapons have the same BASE average damage, but because of these "INSTANCES", there is a 0.50 difference between Sword(long) & Staff(Pole) Avg Damage or DPS.

Hope this all makes sense and I do apologise for the Wall of Text (but then I have always been like this, and I do it to TRY and clarify what I am addressing etc)

sometimes the wall of text makes it more confusing so i generally try and simplify it to get your overall meaning.

In terms of the DPS difference, this is only at very precise numbers, can get much higher and lower than a 0.5 difference in dps, you just happened to pick strength/dex numbers which gave that and it's more to do with when you're rounding down swords/longswords very high max damage that it gets a different result, anyway that's a different topic try and keep this topic to crit where possible.

i'm not 100% sure of exactly what you're trying to say, even after reading it 3 times.
If you think instances may be related to critical strike then i think you may be correct. But possibly not in the way you'd expect.

My "guess" is that the times where you add a stat but do not get an instance is when you get a boost to your critical hit chance (perhaps i'll name these CRITICAL INSTANCES ? ). The data i've got has a correlation between critical instances and amount of crits, but as of yet i can't define a specific number, i.e i'd like to say 1x instance is a 0.08% or 0.1% chance, but it doesn't currently tie up to what i currently have. So i've presumed at this stage i don't have enough data.

For the issue with probability is that you really do need absurd amounts of data, even doing a dice roll 1000 times gives a variation between 14% and 19%, so for me to really knuckle down what the actual crit chances are i clearly need more than 1000 results. However with 5000 dice rolls the average seemed to get to 16% and 17.3% which when i'm looking for 16.7% for a dice roll is close enough imo. Seeing i will never be able to prove the crit chance and the only way of us actually knowing is Paul telling us how it is calculated.

As i said the best chance of me confirming this theory would be with high strength daggers or high dex clubs (or spears/warhammers), as the higher the chance of crits without +crit on items, the better the information is for me to hunt down the reasoning behind it. My main concern is if something life prof or level also being a factor as this makes the calculation much much more complicated.

Quote (izParagonzi @ Jun 3 2022 06:29am)
In this instance, the extra 6 Dexterity (55/72 VS 55/78) the Critical Hit CHANCE looks lower, but the +6 Dexterity accounts for damage. Based on your Damage Calculator. so the negligible 0.6% ChC has been compensated by DPS.

EDIT: sorry, should have added this to my previous post, I forgot about editing it in.

Probably as good as an example as i'll get to explain what i wrote above.

6 dexterity on a polearm would be either 4 or 5 damage instances. This means it would be either 1 or 2 critical instances so if my complete guess at 0.1% was correct, then i'd have expected the extra 6 dex to equate to either 0.1% or 0.2% more crits, but with only 500 hits worth of data i'm not surprised at all there's a discrepancy

As i was trying to say, in 1000 dice rolls a 6 turned up 19% of the time whilst the 4 only came up 14%, so given 1000 rolls at 16.7% can be this inaccurate, i'd suggest the data is fine but just simply not enough of it. I suspect if you did 4500 more attempts with both amounts of strength/dex it would average out to the higher dex one getting more crits or at least within 0.1% of the lower value as even at 5000 results there was still a 0.6% error or so.

This post was edited by Bigheaded on Jun 3 2022 12:14am
Jun 3 2022 02:32am
Quote (Bigheaded @ Jun 3 2022 05:51pm)
sometimes the wall of text makes it more confusing so i generally try and simplify it to get your overall meaning.

My apologies, thus the reason at times while reading some posts, I will alter the post grammatically (example: adding in comma's and speech marks etc) like one of my last replies to your post, so that I can try to read it how YOU may have meant it to be read... this helps with ensuring that we are on the same track.

In terms of the DPS difference, this is only at very precise numbers, can get much higher and lower than a 0.5 difference in dps, you just happened to pick strength/dex numbers which gave that and it's more to do with when you're rounding down swords/longswords very high max damage that it gets a different result, anyway that's a different topic try and keep this topic to crit where possible.

After your explanation previously, I noticed one thing with the Base damage of different weapons... Tier I Sword = 1-10 range (avg = 5.5) ... now a Tier I staff = 3-8 range (avg = 5.5) and so forth... each type changes damage from 1-10 / 2-9 / 3-8 / 4-7 and 5-6 ... where the Avg is 5.5 for all of them. And with that basic information, noticed the difference between Sword / Staff when they have the same ratio (reversed) made me question things. But you did explain the # of instances and rounding down, I have not noticed with any other weapon type though... but again, I don't know how your DMG Calculator functions perfectly. This is a good thing.

i'm not 100% sure of exactly what you're trying to say, even after reading it 3 times.
If you think instances may be related to critical strike then i think you may be correct. But possibly not in the way you'd expect.

100% agree, hence my comment above this one with Averages and weapons types including Stats &/or Ratios.

My "guess" is that the times where you add a stat but do not get an instance is when you get a boost to your critical hit chance (perhaps i'll name these CRITICAL INSTANCES ? ). The data i've got has a correlation between critical instances and amount of crits, but as of yet i can't define a specific number, i.e i'd like to say 1x instance is a 0.08% or 0.1% chance, but it doesn't currently tie up to what i currently have. So i've presumed at this stage i don't have enough data.

Can relate with this, and also bear in mind what I stated previously about the weapon type and damage ... 1-10 / 2-9 / 3-8 etc. This could factor in.

For the issue with probability is that you really do need absurd amounts of data, even doing a dice roll 1000 times gives a variation between 14% and 19%, so for me to really knuckle down what the actual crit chances are i clearly need more than 1000 results. However with 5000 dice rolls the average seemed to get to 16% and 17.3% which when i'm looking for 16.7% for a dice roll is close enough imo. Seeing i will never be able to prove the crit chance and the only way of us actually knowing is Paul telling us how it is calculated.

No dispute there. You could do a billion actions and still end up with a variation of Critical Hit % Chance... aptly named "Chance"

As i said the best chance of me confirming this theory would be with high strength daggers or high dex clubs (or spears/warhammers), as the higher the chance of crits without +crit on items, the better the information is for me to hunt down the reasoning behind it. My main concern is if something life prof or level also being a factor as this makes the calculation much much more complicated.

Well to be more precise, you will have to also test the opposite because the closer you are to the ratio, increases your CHANCE of a Critical Hit based on the information in the portals for each weapon, and when the update included "Ratios" to weapons to deal a Critical Hit, instead of previously where the coding made Dexterity the DOMINANT factor of melee attacks dealing a Critical Hit (Double Damage).

Probably as good as an example as i'll get to explain what i wrote above.

6 dexterity on a polearm would be either 4 or 5 damage instances. This means it would be either 1 or 2 critical instances so if my complete guess at 0.1% was correct, then i'd have expected the extra 6 dex to equate to either 0.1% or 0.2% more crits, but with only 500 hits worth of data i'm not surprised at all there's a discrepancy

As i was trying to say, in 1000 dice rolls a 6 turned up 19% of the time whilst the 4 only came up 14%, so given 1000 rolls at 16.7% can be this inaccurate, i'd suggest the data is fine but just simply not enough of it. I suspect if you did 4500 more attempts with both amounts of strength/dex it would average out to the higher dex one getting more crits or at least within 0.1% of the lower value as even at 5000 results there was still a 0.6% error or so.

The red part I do not understand, HOWEVER... your Damage Calculator gives these results for AVERAGE Dmg and DPS.

55/72 using a Tier X Polearm (excluding EE / Rank / PS etc)
... 195.00 Avg Dmg
... 195.00 Avg Dmg + PS
... 108.33 DPS
... 108.33 DPS + QD

55/78 using a Tier X Polearm (excluding EE / Rank / PS etc)
... 200.50 Avg Dmg
... 200.50 Avg Dmg + PS
... 111.39 DPS
... 111.39 DPS + QD

111.39 - 108.33 = 3.06 more DPS

vs what I stipulated about ChC of 0.6% which is negligible since it is rounded down right?

I just have a different way to take in information compared to others... this is not a fault, or me trying to be a know it all, I am trying to gain a different perspective based on yours or anothers point of view.

This post was edited by izParagonzi on Jun 3 2022 02:40am
Go Back To Ladder Slasher Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll