d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Associated Press Is A Spunk Rag
Prev15678920Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 23 2022 05:06pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ 23 Jan 2022 23:51)
And that's how it should be, because even if they have all other socioeconomic status the same, they have worse outcomes.

And that's our key point of contention. I say that there is no causal/biological relation between a dark skin color and worse covid outcomes. If we truly held all socioeconomic factors constant, then we would see similar health outcomes.

Sure, if you have a shitty, low effort scoring system that misses half the big socioeconomic risk factors, there will be significant health inequality left unexplained and it becomes tempting to use race as an easy proxy to account for the socioeconomic factors that we missed. The problem with this approach is that it will obviously see lots of people fall through the cracks solely because of the color of their skin, which is neither ethical nor legal.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jan 23 2022 05:07pm
Gold: 500.00
Jan 23 2022 05:07pm
indigenous folks got priority before myself when they rolled out the vaccines up here

quick google search indicated indigenous communities seem to be hit harder than people like myself living in the suburbs

would it be nice if they prioritized everyone equally? yea

but if it saves more lives as a whole to get covid under control in areas that aren't doing as well and are at greater risk then that serves the greater good for the country and i'm all for it
Jan 23 2022 05:11pm
Quote (duffman316 @ 24 Jan 2022 00:07)
indigenous folks got priority before myself when they rolled out the vaccines up here

quick google search indicated indigenous communities seem to be hit harder than people like myself living in the suburbs

would it be nice if they prioritized everyone equally? yea

but if it saves more lives as a whole to get covid under control in areas that aren't doing as well and are at greater risk then that serves the greater good for the country and i'm all for it

It's easy to be relaxed in our position since we're all young and covid never posed that much of a personal risk to any of us.
Would you approach this issue with the same composure if your grandma was admitted to the hospital with covid and denied monoclonal antibodies because she had the "wrong" skin color?

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jan 23 2022 05:26pm
Gold: 260.11
Jan 23 2022 05:11pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 23 2022 05:06pm)
And that's our key point of contention. I say that there is no causal/biological relation between a dark skin color and worse covid outcomes. If we truly held all socioeconomic factors constant, then we would see similar health outcomes.

Sure, if you have a shitty, low effort scoring system that misses half the big socioeconomic risk factors, there will be significant health inequality left unexplained and it becomes tempting to use race as an easy proxy to account for the socioeconomic factors that we missed. The problem with this approach is that it will obviously see lots of people fall through the cracks solely because of the color of their skin, which is neither ethical nor legal.

You can never truly hold all socioeconomic factors constant between races because race is a socioeconomic factor that introduces worse health incomes simply by virtue of our past discrimination.

We might see people fall through the cracks, but far less will fall through the cracks by simply using race as an easy factor, because it is fundamentally predictive because it IS a risk factor due to its inclusion as a socioeconomic factor.

What you just communicated to me is you're fine with people falling through the cracks as long as they're black. I know you don't think that's what you said, but that's what you said lol

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 23 2022 05:11pm)
It's easy to be relaxed in our position since we're all young and covid never posed that much of a personal risk to any of use.
Would you approach this issue with the same composure if your grandma was admitted to the hospital with covid and denied monoclonal antibodies because she had the "wrong" skin color?

This isn't a situation where an 80 year old grandma is going to get denied based on race. It's an issue where a 45 year old white guy who smokes isn't gonna get prioritized over a 35 year old black steel worker.

The extremes will always be prioritized on all races. These scores are only important when you hit fringe decisions.

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on Jan 23 2022 05:13pm
Gold: 500.00
Jan 23 2022 05:14pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 23 2022 06:11pm)
It's easy to be relaxed in our position since we're all young and covid never posed that much of a personal risk to any of use.

right now my grandma is actually facing a problem where she is being denied adequate medical treatment in the icu due to a large number of antivaxers eating up icu beds so they've sent her home with experimental medication and a thumbs up

i'm not mad at any demographic in particular about this but i do wish society was different and people actually listened to medical professionals
Gold: 22,189.49
Jan 23 2022 05:14pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 23 2022 05:06pm)

But when we account for every known socio-economic factor and similar upbringing and twins raised apart and every other imaginable variable, black people still have significantly lower IQ tests and IQ is largely heritable. I've been told repeatedly that this is due to spooky invisible socioeconomic factors that can't be zeroed out of the equation and there's no real evidence of racial intelligence being stratified on a genetic level. I'm trying to comprehend how there's no causal relationship in one case but totally is in another, when the former has a testable hypothesis and the latter does not. Its weird how the science only works in whatever way favors the ends of the argument being made, instead of any objective standard.
Gold: 260.11
Jan 23 2022 05:17pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Jan 23 2022 05:14pm)
But when we account for every known socio-economic factor and similar upbringing and twins raised apart and every other imaginable variable, black people still have significantly lower IQ tests and IQ is largely heritable. I've been told repeatedly that this is due to spooky invisible socioeconomic factors that can't be zeroed out of the equation

Oh look Goom lies again.

I've personally linked you plenty of studies through the years that specifically accounts for socioeconomic factors that disprove this claim, and you acknowledged them. But please, keep repeating the claims of books like The Bell Curve where they actively fabricated racial data to make south africans look dumb.

Almost like you're just interested in telling bold face racist lies.

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on Jan 23 2022 05:17pm
Gold: 5,895.00
Jan 23 2022 05:17pm
Cool. Keep us updated.
Gold: 22,189.49
Jan 23 2022 05:20pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jan 23 2022 05:11pm)

This isn't a situation where an 80 year old grandma is going to get denied based on race. It's an issue where a 45 year old white guy who smokes isn't gonna get prioritized over a 35 year old black steel worker.

Under SSM's calculator, a 68 year old grandmother who does not have dyspnea, diabetes, BMI >= 35, asthma or hypertension will be ineligible to receive monoclonal antibodies if she is white, but eligible if she is black.
Of course, as I repeatedly pointed out, she could just change her name to LaQuana Brown and visit a tanning booth and tell the doctors she identifies as black, and what can they do?
Jan 23 2022 05:25pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ 24 Jan 2022 00:11)
We might see people fall through the cracks, but far less will fall through the cracks by simply using race as an easy factor, because it is fundamentally predictive because it IS a risk factor due to its inclusion as a socioeconomic factor.

Am I having a stroke or is this the most blatant circular logic imaginable? :blink:

You can never truly hold all socioeconomic factors constant between races because race is a socioeconomic factor that introduces worse health incomes simply by virtue of our past discrimination.

I disagree on a very fundamental level with this notion that past discrimination directly creates worse health outcomes. I really don't believe that there is something there which goes beyond the socioeconomic manifestations of past discrimination.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev15678920Next
Closed New Topic New Poll