d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Biden's Presidency: Expectations Poll
Prev156789Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 4,400.67
Jun 21 2021 10:20am
Quote (Kuggergug @ 21 Jun 2021 18:16)
Kentucky's state legislature is deep red by a landslide. There is no chance of that state going blue. Just stop. Get educated before talking politics.

A state can be deep red and still be receptive to certain non-conservative policies.

Gold: 260.11
Jun 21 2021 10:37am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 21 2021 11:20am)
A state can be deep red and still be receptive to certain non-conservative policies.

Which doesn't contradict my point at all. In fact it reinforces it.
Jun 21 2021 10:39am
Quote (Kuggergug @ 21 Jun 2021 18:14)
Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania and New Hampshire all have republican state legislatures. That's a warning sign to democrats that these states will turn red PERMANENTLY and soon. That's a known political trend. Before a state flips to a different party at the national level, it flips that way at the state level. Trump just flipped most of those states red SUPER EARLY in 2016. But by 2024, its not so far fetched to see them permanently in the GOP camp.

An example in the other direction is Colorado. Colorado used to be reliably republican. But then its state legislature turned all democrat. Then it started voting democrat at the federal level.

Looking at state legislatures, the democrats are screwed. The map is going deep red when the federal level elections catch up to what is happening at the state level with all the new red state legislatures out there.

The bolded part is just not true, not with this degree of generality. New Hampshire is a notoriously swingy state, partisan power flips back and forth wildly there.

https://ballotpedia.org/New_Hampshire_House_of_Representatives

With your line of reasoning, one could have argued just a year ago that NH was on its way to becoming a permanently blue state, having just flipped to blue and having a long-term upward trajectory for Democrats from 2010 through 2018.

I agree that Wisconsin will become a red state, the demographic trends in this direction are too strong. Relative to the nation as a whole, it drifted noticeably to the right from 2016 to 2020, it was R+2.8 in 2016 and R+3.8 in 2020...
Michigan will probably become a swing state, but I dont think it's gonna become a proper red state. Democrats just have too much of an urban and/or black voter base in the state.
Pennsylvania is probably gonna be the epitome of a swing state going forward. The suburban blueshift should balance out the rural redshift, and it's still the blue-trending parts of the state which have the higher growth rates.

Colorado and Virginia are prime examples of states flipping because of demographic change, with a very rapid and sizeable influx of college-educated and/or diverse people turning the political math in the state on its head. I dont see any of that happening in any of the four states you mentioned.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 21 2021 10:40am
Jun 21 2021 10:50am
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ 21 Jun 2021 18:37)
Which doesn't contradict my point at all. In fact it reinforces it.

You were equating Kentucky with Alabama in terms of being reflexively conservative. I stressed that Kentucky, unlike any state in the Deep South, has lots of ancestrally Democratic areas - and a classical social democratic policy like Obamacare is the exact type of policy that should poll well in state which used to be run by "Labor Democrats".
Gold: 23.00
Jun 21 2021 11:34am
Quote (Sh00p @ Jun 21 2021 11:20am)
That was a dumb assumption to make from the start. We knew there would never be any uniting with terrorists, or working with them.

I agree that the leftist mob is basically a terrorist organization.
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 21 2021 11:37am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 21 2021 11:50am)
You were equating Kentucky with Alabama in terms of being reflexively conservative. I stressed that Kentucky, unlike any state in the Deep South, has lots of ancestrally Democratic areas - and a classical social democratic policy like Obamacare is the exact type of policy that should poll well in state which used to be run by "Labor Democrats".

we're bouncing around in this post alot.

Kentucky used to be democratic, but was it ever liberal? or was it conservative.

because obamacare is liberal. which Kentucky never really was afaik.

the closest to liberal they ever get is growing illegal pot.
Jun 21 2021 11:37am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 21 2021 11:50am)

You've lost the thread of the conversation and are nit picking irrelevant details.

Point is when you poll on policy liberal ideas are popular even among conservatives in conservative strongholds. Biden doesn't fight for sensible liberal policy despite their popularity and suffers for it.

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on Jun 21 2021 11:39am
Jun 21 2021 11:53am
Quote (thesnipa @ 21 Jun 2021 19:37)
we're bouncing around in this post alot.

Kentucky used to be democratic, but was it ever liberal? or was it conservative.

because obamacare is liberal. which Kentucky never really was afaik.

the closest to liberal they ever get is growing illegal pot.

I think liberal and conservative are misleading labels when talking about economic policy. I doubt that Kentucky was far to the right (on a left-right scale) when it comes to economic policy back in the days when coal and blue collar jobs were still going strong, and Kentucky was dominated by labor-friendly Blue Dog Democrats.

Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ 21 Jun 2021 19:37)
You've lost the thread of the conversation and are nit picking.

The original debate ended when you overplayed your hand and claimed that Obamacare polls "insanely well" "literally everywhere".

Then things got derailed when I called you out on this obvious hyperbole and you responded with the rather weak counterexample of Kentucky, where Obamacare is above water in the most flaccid of ways, and which is perhaps the most favorable deep-red state for a policy like Obamacare.

Anyway, this squabbling is not productive and should end. We both agree that support for Obamacare (and similar policies which expand the social security net) exceeds the electoral support of Democrats, but disagree on the extent of its appeal among Republican voters. Imho, you're simply overrating these polls. Policies which are presented as "you get free stuff and someone else pays for it" always do better in opinion polls than at the ballot box.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 21 2021 11:55am
Jun 21 2021 11:58am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 21 2021 12:53pm)
I think liberal and conservative are misleading labels when talking about economic policy. I doubt that Kentucky was far to the right (on a left-right scale) when it comes to economic policy back in the days when coal and blue collar jobs were still going strong, and Kentucky was dominated by labor-friendly Blue Dog Democrats.

The original debate ended when you overplayed your hand and claimed that Obamacare polls "insanely well" "literally everywhere".

Then things got derailed when I called you out on this obvious hyperbole and you responded with the rather weak counterexample of Kentucky, where Obamacare is above water in the most flaccid of ways, and which is perhaps the most favorable deep-red state for a policy like Obamacare.

Anyway, this squabbling is not productive and should end. We both agree that support for Obamacare (and similar policies which expand the social security net) exceeds the electoral support of Democrats, but disagree on the extent of its appeal among Republican voters. Imho, you're simply overrating these polls. Policies which are presented as "you get free stuff and someone else pays for it" always do better in opinion polls than at the ballot box.

Since I provided direct counter-examples to your contentions and all you have left is to nit pick hyperbole I see why you want to end it. I'd want to exit the conversation as well if I just got rekt this hard.
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 21 2021 12:12pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 21 2021 12:53pm)

Union dominated state politics can't really IMO be categorized as left wing economic policy.

what about the coal dominated economy era with strong union presence reads as liberally economic?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev156789Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll