d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > Ladder Slasher > LS Character Builds > Comprehensive Prof Gain Guide.
Prev1345678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,157.03
Jan 6 2021 01:11am
Quote (izParagonzi @ Dec 23 2020 02:49pm)
Could not edit post.

Looked at the Softcore Ranking tables for Ladder:

Weapons: https://ladderslasher.d2jsp.org/index.php?a=3&h=0&t=1 and the highest is Rank 34 Dagger
Charms: https://ladderslasher.d2jsp.org/index.php?a=3&h=0&t=2&c=0 and the highest is Rank 43 Ice

Now if you look through those Ladder Rankings on Softcore, you may come to a number of conclusions. As for myself, I am going to say, Weapon prof gain is SHIT in comparison to Charms... shit, how many years have a lot of those players been playing this game and not even one of them has above 50 Rank... I mean 10+ fucking years.

Yeah... none of them are prof hunters, they are normal players doing speed runs etc... my Bufcore character has Rank 6 Battleaxe/Spear and Rank 5 Focus with only 7 MQ's under his belt starting LATE this year... imagine the ranking if 9+ years of solo'ing.

Anyway... it is a matter of perspective... a prof hunter only wants to improve the characters potential without relying on gear.

EDIT: Expect a nerf to Charms in the near future after this post. Now that it has been identified that charms gain prof faster than weapon, Paul will eventually take action and change things (good/bad, up to him)

already in here and read the last post...... of course charms have more prof than daggers. TWO of the last three classes use charms. And their spells charge at 12.5% to melee's 10%. I don't expect you to understand as you don't climb past monk

Quote (izParagonzi @ Jan 6 2021 02:10am)
Basically the same as below with some other additions:
All 16 characters ranked in the top 10 for ALL heavy weapons.

and naturally you must understand that with the most ridiculous goal possible (16 characters top 10, when there are only 10), that your opinion in an events thread is pointless. you need a friend sir.

and Paul isn't going to do a thing to address your complaints.

This post was edited by FloppyWaffles on Jan 6 2021 01:14am
Gold: 8,791.43
Jan 6 2021 01:22am
Quote (FloppyWaffles @ Jan 6 2021 08:11pm)
already in here and read the last post...... of course charms have more prof than daggers. TWO of the last three classes use charms. And their spells charge at 12.5% to melee's 10%. I don't expect you to understand as you don't climb past monk

and naturally you must understand that with the most ridiculous goal possible (16 characters top 10, when there are only 10), that your opinion in an events thread is pointless. you need a friend sir.

and Paul isn't going to do a thing to address your complaints.

You know I have had Warlocks before right? You also know that I use to be in the top 20 casting ranks on SC right? Oh well, times long gone. As for the % charge up rate, it doesn't matter, it is all about clicks... you do 10k clicks, it still does the same thing.

:rofl: I wasn't complaining about the Event or mods, I was addressing Cheeya specifically. I would have thought that was a given.

Events are events, they help all types of players as I have stated before in Event thread... I am that 0.1% that play for different reasons, thus 80% of the event mods won't apply to me, but bitching at my gameplay... come on.
Gold: 2,157.03
Jan 6 2021 01:34am
not interested anymore. blocked.

This post was edited by FloppyWaffles on Jan 6 2021 01:40am
Gold: 4,749.04
Jan 6 2021 01:42am
Lol. “Expect a nerf to charm prof after this book you wrote that nearly no one will read.”

Warlock = 5 doors
Alchemist = 6 doors

People do hundreds of climbs on these classes.

Most people get warlock by 100 total climbs. Rare exceptions exist where it takes more.

Before you say well what about HH and axe prof. Most people don’t get to HH a lot of people get stuck WL and also there is 2 classes with 5+ Doors that cast.

Offcasting is also a thing. Now that feeder is 2 doors. The lack of mages to heal a climb is lower and more people find it viable to focus on one prof and just cast every class up to warlock as well so they always have heals in climbs too.

This post was edited by Ladd3r on Jan 6 2021 01:43am
Jan 6 2021 01:45am
Quote (FloppyWaffles @ Jan 6 2021 08:34pm)
nothing positive comes from your negative posts in those (or any) threads that i've EVER seen. hate to say it, but you invite the treatment you're given.

I don't mind it at all, to be honest, the more frustrated people get in replying they either do one of two things:

#1 Ignore (give up)
#2 Post important information without realizing it.

I don't take a lot of their posts as negative unless it is completely personal. Even when proven wrong (myself) I take that information in, then build on their information to improve.

Best example is Bigheaded did a test lately and proved my theory wrong, BUT the outcome of it was beneficial for Prof hunting.

My theory was based on healing to max 10 prof points per wave, exiting, remake game, encounter a new wave and repeat / rinse (thinking new wave would reset prof point gain). Now, Bigheaded tested this, but found out that it is actually based on CLEARING that wave... so you have to complete the wave to reset healing prof gain with next wave.

With that information alone and the current game as is, one can increase their Healing Ranks a LOT faster than the old days.

Quote (Ladd3r @ Jan 6 2021 08:42pm)
Lol. “Expect a nerf to charm prof after this book you wrote that nearly no one will read.”

Warlock = 5 doors
Alchemist = 6 doors

People do hundreds of climbs on these classes.

Most people get warlock by 100 total climbs. Rare exceptions exist where it takes more.

Before you say well what about HH and axe prof. Most people don’t get to HH a lot of people get stuck WL and also there is 2 classes with 5+ Doors that cast.

Offcasting is also a thing. Now that feeder is 2 doors. The lack of mages to heal a climb is lower and more people find it viable to focus on one prof and just cast every class up to warlock as well so they always have heals in climbs too.

Yup, I think I stated it in the previous page that casting may get nerfed, but in reality, as a Warlock or Alchemist (haven't had Alch), they spend more time repeating and rinsing to unlock or reset ladder.

I loved playing Off caster just to build up ranks there, haven't done it since I came back since I am still testing the best way to gain profs without unlocking next character or roll back to feeder class (other than my bufcore character hunting self found gear, but can not cast with a Guardian, so all is good... :rofl: )

Currently only testing Heavy weapon and Healing prof point gain... I have a ton of testing other stuff.

I use the same rules as I did over 10 years ago:

Level 1-5(6) use a different weapon to that which has Rank 5 and less Rank. This applies as you gain higher ranks etc.

Going back to old school methods... +Max life weapons for TierIII & TierVI. I may also LOWER my Armor Tier since I use abilities with "Hits Taken" to increase the speed of charging them up (still thinking about this)

So far, I have noticed using TIII heavy weapon that I gain prof points fast from level 1 to 10 and % rate progress starts to dwindle, and if I use a TierIV heavy weapon around level 10, I kill faster, but have around the same % rate progress of prof point gains... so I may have to remove Stat armor/charm to decrease kill speed with +Max life... again... a lot of testing to do.

This post was edited by izParagonzi on Jan 6 2021 02:05am
Jan 6 2021 04:29am
Quote (Cheeya @ Jan 6 2021 11:11pm)
I may be seeing things but it sure feels like the prof points are weighted so that you get the first couple from a wave quickly then the next few sorta trickle in until cap. I say this from watching prof points during eps (when safe to do so) and it feels like the first 2-3 are almost right away then there is what I would consider a noticeable delay between additional ones that gradually increases.

It is weighted as you say, hence the testing I need to complete a guide that is sufficient to account for it.

For me, it is based on Heavy Weapon, Tier III with 0 EE and +Max life from level 1 to level 10 gives you the most Prof point gain as long as you don't have a Rank higher than character level.

In comparison, from level 10 to 15 using Tier III weapon, you notice the "weighted" scenario you have perceived, so, you would switch Tier III to a Tier IV weapon from level 10 to 15 hoping to get the same results... it doesn't work out so easily in the weighted situation... hence my previous statement using Stat armor and charm to reduce dmg output... again, I have to test this out. Killspeed/Tier/Level/Stats etc vs weighted prof point gain as you mentioned.

Thanks for verifying what I suspected.
Gold: 254,107.40
Jan 6 2021 04:49am
This thread is a bunch of useless nonsense that anyone not named rex can see is actually just the result of playing incredibly inefficiently in every other aspect of the game besides prof gain. Its a shame you decide to spread that out between all your characters so the actual boost applied is barely even felt while playing.
Gold: 20,039.48
Jan 6 2021 07:46am
Quote (Cheeya @ Jan 6 2021 10:49am)
This thread is a bunch of useless nonsense that anyone not named rex can see is actually just the result of playing incredibly inefficiently in every other aspect of the game besides prof gain. Its a shame you decide to spread that out between all your characters so the actual boost applied is barely even felt while playing.

I would disagree to some extent. It's useful to know some things.

As an example it was a tiny bit helpful for me to know prof gain starts at 1 level higher than your current prof. Which thinking about it makes sense, at level 1 you work on getting from 0 prof to 1. Then at prof 1 you no longer gain prof at level 1.
So there's no reason to action spam other than looking cool with total actions at the end before you reach 1 level above your prof level in groups.

As some other questions i'd like to know the answer to:

My to do list:
1. Heal prof chance per cast
2. Damage prof chance per cast. Original testing suggests 20% However the casting tests have only been done in group so far.
3. Do well mobs/EP's yield more prof
4. Show the difference between a solo/group climb when hunting for prof.
5. Further testing on "unsuccessful hits", is it possible to do 0 damage and still get prof for it? Does healing a mob with an element, for example scavengefur the ice immune one can i gain ice prof by healing it?
6. Does your level increase/decrease chance of prof? I.e do lvl 70s gain more or less prof than level 20's?
7. Does the tier of item you're using affect chance of prof?
8. Do multi hit actions still retain the same "20%" chance as a single attack?
9. Do multi heal actions retain the same chance as a single heal?

One other useful note i just found is that a tier 1 charm will not yield prof for my level 11 prof. Cast it 100 times with 0 prof gained. Changed to a level 10 charm and got 3 in the first 10. (this was all at level 12, the first level at which i can gain prof points for focused heals)
Knowing the game mechanics can be useful and certainly doesn't hurt to find out some of them.
As another example, knowing how stats influence critical hit chance would be super useful to know.

However i would also agree that specifically getting prof is in general a waste of time, it will happen when it happens and whilst getting to 10 prof is kind of nice, it's impact is barely noticeable, same can be said for 20/30 to be honest.
Gold: 20,039.48
Jan 6 2021 08:09am
Doing some testing right now specifically on heal prof, as Rex suggested in a pm to me the ratio is close to 33%, so it seemed the best place to start in checking if weapons/damage charms/heal charms have different ratios.

In my current solo, 100 healing actions gave 67 points of heal prof, which is pretty insane of a 67% chance.
Weapons are still around the 20-25% mark as 200 actions gave 48 prof.

Given even as small of a sample size of 100, i will be surprised if the chance is anywhere below 50% for heal prof. However I would ideally like 1000 actions minimum before stating any conclusion.
Gold: 4,749.04
Jan 6 2021 11:39am
Quote (Bigheaded @ Jan 6 2021 07:09am)
Doing some testing right now specifically on heal prof, as Rex suggested in a pm to me the ratio is close to 33%, so it seemed the best place to start in checking if weapons/damage charms/heal charms have different ratios.

In my current solo, 100 healing actions gave 67 points of heal prof, which is pretty insane of a 67% chance.
Weapons are still around the 20-25% mark as 200 actions gave 48 prof.

Given even as small of a sample size of 100, i will be surprised if the chance is anywhere below 50% for heal prof. However I would ideally like 1000 actions minimum before stating any conclusion.

is your heal in your utility spot? is it diff in main slot? maybe a dumb question idk if it effects it.

This post was edited by Ladd3r on Jan 6 2021 11:39am
Go Back To LS Character Builds Topic List
Prev1345678Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll