d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1881882883884885910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 17,384.69
Jan 20 2021 11:57pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 21 Jan 2021 06:46)
Why are you focusing on deaths? They're the indicator with the largest delay...
In case you didnt know: reported infection numbers lag 1-2 weeks behind the actual infection events taking place (incubation period, getting the test, the positive test result being reported to the public health authorities). Reported deaths lag behind the respective infections by 3-6 weeks.

https://i.imgur.com/n24pL6U.jpg

The deaths that are being reported from the UK these days correspond to the infections which took place during their peak back in late December/early January. In some sense, these people were "dead man walking", their deaths were already baked in weeks ago. <_< :(

The more important message is that lockdowns seem to be similarly effective at containing the new variant which is dominant in the UK as they were at containing the older strains. One or two weeks ago, European heads of government and also some virologists and public health experts were concerned that even very strict lockdowns would barely be able to hold off the spread of this new variant, but not able to get cases down effectively. The concern was that the R-factor with the new variant could only be brought to around 1 with even the harshest restrictions viable in democratic societies. This fear seems to have been overblown. Don't get me wrong, this new variant is still a big problem, and it being more infectious complicates a lot of things - just not so badly that we would now need a Wuhan-style total lockdown, mere months from summer and vaccine-induced herd immunity.

"why are you focusing on deaths" ? That question seriously...

Gold: 260.11
Jan 20 2021 11:58pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 20 2021 11:54pm)
Cruel, disgusting, selfish... and probably true.

Like I've said before: if it were not for the threat of a collapsing healthcare system, most Western societies would have told their elderly that protecting themselves from the virus is their problem, and then went on with life. Some 10k or so deaths among the sub-60 group on the way to herd immunity would have been an acceptable sacrifice.

If it was only serious for the elderly we would have just locked down nursing homes and called it a day. Focused shutdowns, masks, etc just for nursing homes and such would have been pretty easy if we didnt have to dedocate resources to everything else at the same time.
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 21 2021 12:10am
Quote (Thor123422 @ 21 Jan 2021 06:58)
If it was only serious for the elderly we would have just locked down nursing homes and called it a day. Focused shutdowns, masks, etc just for nursing homes and such would have been pretty easy if we didnt have to dedocate resources to everything else at the same time.

Lolwut?! A very significant share of the elderly dont live in nursing homes, they live in private houses or apartments, often times together with their children and grandchildren. Locking off the nursing homes is perhaps possible, locking off all elderly is not.

By the way, protecting the nursing homes is not thaaaat easy either. The German government, for example, has failed horribly at doing that, which is the reason why Germany's death numbers have been so high in recent weeks, particularly compared to our case incidence which is lower than in many other countries. Iirc, one week ago, our 7-day average of covid deaths per capita was higher than in the US. And unlike the governments and officials in certain *cough* other countries, ours are neither reckless nor particularly underfunded nor generally incompetent... and yet the situation in our nursing homes still turned out to be an epic failure.

Quote (Saucisson6000 @ 21 Jan 2021 06:57)
"why are you focusing on deaths" ? That question seriously...

https://i.imgur.com/FXCbQy6.png

What is there not to understand? Yes, deaths are horrible and we want to prevent them, but like I just explained, death numbers are the wrong metric for the purpose of assessing the course of the pandemic and adjusting countermeasures.
By the way, that's a mistake most Western countries made back in October and early November: "oh look, we have 20k covid cases per day, but this time, the deaths are still very low, so I guess this infection level is actually fine". I'm myself guilty of falling for this kind of thinking back in October.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jan 21 2021 12:11am
Jan 21 2021 12:38am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 21 Jan 2021 07:10)
What is there not to understand? Yes, deaths are horrible and we want to prevent them, but like I just explained, death numbers are the wrong metric for the purpose of assessing the course of the pandemic and adjusting countermeasures.
By the way, that's a mistake most Western countries made back in October and early November: "oh look, we have 20k covid cases per day, but this time, the deaths are still very low, so I guess this infection level is actually fine". I'm myself guilty of falling for this kind of thinking back in October.

Ventilation/icu beds are a very good indicator too. Ofc we all know deaths are delayed, nothing new. Butt the economeh.

Once again i'm much more in a worry about variant, 50-70% more cases PER DAY is cumulative and worse than covid 10% lethality.
Vaccination right in time.

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on Jan 21 2021 12:43am
Gold: 2,617.52
Jan 21 2021 12:45am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 21 2021 12:54am)
Cruel, disgusting, selfish... and probably true.

Like I've said before: if it were not for the threat of a collapsing healthcare system, most Western societies would have told their elderly that protecting themselves from the virus is their problem, and then went on with life. Some 10k or so deaths among the sub-60 group on the way to herd immunity would have been an acceptable sacrifice.

Deny care to the oldest.

Are people really this stupid?
Jan 21 2021 01:58am
Btw next move here is to only use certified masks: in other words; those cheating with lowballed homemade masks will be fined.

This post was edited by Saucisson6000 on Jan 21 2021 01:58am
Gold: 2,900.49
Jan 22 2021 02:42pm
Well gentlemen I've been exposed to a coworker who tested positive at one of my jobs for the second time. Apparently they are closing early today for professional cleaning and have to put staff on a quarantine list again. This is a bar and restaurant based primarily in California with only the one location in Las Vegas and I don't fathom a scenario where they do not go out of business because of COVID. I am super curious as to the amount of resources spent correcting COVID cases within the American workforce. It's got to be a mind blowing number.

Only a matter of time before I get it if I don't have it already.
Gold: 25.00
Jan 22 2021 03:21pm
Quote (Kamahl16 @ Jan 22 2021 03:42pm)
Well gentlemen I've been exposed to a coworker who tested positive at one of my jobs for the second time. Apparently they are closing early today for professional cleaning and have to put staff on a quarantine list again. This is a bar and restaurant based primarily in California with only the one location in Las Vegas and I don't fathom a scenario where they do not go out of business because of COVID. I am super curious as to the amount of resources spent correcting COVID cases within the American workforce. It's got to be a mind blowing number.

Only a matter of time before I get it if I don't have it already.

I guess the good news is your bosses care enough to get a professional cleaning.
we still dont even have a mask mandate at work lol.
Just "go home if you have a fever and come back when its gone" with 66% of your pay if you have proof of testing positive, and 0% if you left but test negative.

Hope you're safe though.

This post was edited by Mangix on Jan 22 2021 03:21pm
Gold: 260.11
Jan 22 2021 03:24pm
Quote (Mangix @ Jan 22 2021 03:21pm)
I guess the good news is your bosses care enough to get a professional cleaning.
we still dont even have a mask mandate at work lol.
Just "go home if you have a fever and come back when its gone" with 66% of your pay if you have proof of testing positive, and 0% if you left but test negative.

Hope you're safe though.

Wow that's pretty awful lol. You're in the United States right?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1881882883884885910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll