d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Coronavirus Thread
Prev1247248249250251910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 63,142.89
Mar 28 2020 01:21am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 28 2020 02:51am)
The point is: there is no guarantee that there would really be a decades-long depression, and there is no guarantee that the first round of social distancing will be futile. There's also no precedent on the amount of damage that sacrificing the elderly for the sake of the economy would potentially inflict on the fabric of society and the national psyche.

The fact that there are no guarantees is not a criticism of the choice to make decisions based on the likely projections that the advisors are feeding him. There are no guarantees either way. The decisions must be made without data. The decisions will inevitably be criticized by history with the benefit of hindsight. It's just as likely that they are erring too far one way as much as the other.

This post was edited by Kayeto on Mar 28 2020 01:22am
Gold: 22,189.49
Mar 28 2020 01:57am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Mar 28 2020 02:00am)
I wasn't too surprised, but I do hate Trump more than I did 24 hours ago.
Big government lifelong democrat egotist showing his true colors.
Hes known to praise people when they support him and trash people who speak out against him or his perceived interests.
Idiotic and nonsensical shots at Massie for taking a principled stand and daring to *checks notes* call for an actual vote on the biggest single spending bill of all time.
Trump is smart enough to know the passage of the corporate welfare 'relief' bill is popular. Content is irrelevant to him.

Only a handful of reps are actually principled and had the balls to speak out against this.

The only principled and competent anti-big government candidate for president this year is Jacob Hornberger

Nonsensical? I mean, if Trump ever had a reason to btfo someone in his own party this is it. Politically, Massie is an extremist who has no serious base of support, no powerful allies, and he was threatening to undermine an absolutely critical response and in doing so would get blame heaped all over his own party. Massie's loyalty to Trump was only skin-deep and had routinely voted against him and they are not even close to aligned. If we're looking at the rational self-interest of the actors here, thumping massie had very few downsides and plenty of upsides. Trump even manages to boost his own reputation on handling this crisis at Massie's expense. Attacking people like John McCain and Mitt Romney carried a lot more risks for Trump, and they never pulled a stunt this bad.
Gold: 4,400.67
Mar 28 2020 02:09am
Quote (Goomshill @ 28 Mar 2020 08:57)
Nonsensical? I mean, if Trump ever had a reason to btfo someone in his own party this is it. Politically, Massie is an extremist who has no serious base of support, no powerful allies, and he was threatening to undermine an absolutely critical response and in doing so would get blame heaped all over his own party. Massie's loyalty to Trump was only skin-deep and had routinely voted against him and they are not even close to aligned. If we're looking at the rational self-interest of the actors here, thumping massie had very few downsides and plenty of upsides. Trump even manages to boost his own reputation on handling this crisis at Massie's expense. Attacking people like John McCain and Mitt Romney carried a lot more risks for Trump, and they never pulled a stunt this bad.

And by having acted like a total Masshole and having also forced all the Democratic congressmen to fly in and risk exposure, he has burned all bridges. With Romney and McCain, you always had a little bit of bipartisan defense coming from the Democratic side whenever Trump went after them. But after this stunt, nobody, absolutely nobody will be coming to Massie's aid.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Mar 28 2020 02:24am
Quote (Ghot @ 28 Mar 2020 07:54)
..and before that, their reasons for holding up the bill were:

it's funny. you constantly complain about those issues. and while i agree that they should definitely not be put in an emergency relief bill as long as republicans are present, who of course don't care about any of that, and oppose it on behalf of their donors, i haven't seen a single post about the non-sensical pet projects of republican lawmakers that actually MADE it into the bill, the massive handouts to their special interest friends in their home states...
Gold: 7,525.35
Mar 28 2020 02:59am
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 28 2020 03:57am)

Content-wise it was total nonsense.

I quote:
"By empowering the Radical Left Democrats, do nothing Kentucky politician
@RepThomasMassie
is making their War on the 2nd Amendment more and more difficult to win (But don’t worry, we will win anyway!). He is a disaster for America, and for the Great State of Kentucky!"

Trump is weak on 2a and was donating to the Clintons while people like Massie were consistently supporting the 2nd amendment.

Massie's "extreme" view was following the constitution and requesting a vote on the largest spending bill in the history of the world.

I said I understand his motives behind it, but it makes the content no less stupid and the action no less scummy.

Mar 28 2020 03:10am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 28 2020 04:09am)
And by having acted like a total Massholeand having also forced all the Democratic congressmen to fly in and risk exposure, he has burned all bridges. With Romney and McCain, you always had a little bit of bipartisan defense coming from the Democratic side whenever Trump went after them. But after this stunt, nobody, absolutely nobody will be coming to Massie's aid.

Way to brainlessly repeat the idiotic and childish kerry insult.

"absolutely nobody will be coming to his aid" vs reality:

Senator Rand Paul
In times of panic, it is good to have someone with a cool, level MIT head asking the tough questions. Thank you
@RepThomasMassie

Rep Justin Amash
It’s like the president fed a Thomas Massie word cloud to an AI tweet generator.

Rep Justin Amash
I stood to have the votes recorded, as did several members. If a recorded vote had been supported, with a quorum present, it would have taken almost no additional time (just a few minutes) to get a tally on the bill. It’s done electronically.

Senator Mike Lee
I don’t know a member of Congress more principled or dedicated to the Constitution than
@RepThomasMassie

@SpeakerPelosi
delayed this process repeatedly and sent the House into recess before its job was complete. Big mistake!

Rep. Warren Davidson
@WarrenDavidson
·
12h
@RepThomasMassie
is a good man and a great friend. I don’t always agree with him (like today), but I always respect him personally.

The dailywire's matt walsh 301k followers
Massie is a 1000 percent correct here. It's absolutely baffling that any American citizen would be angry at the ONE congressman who actually wants to follow the Constitution and do his job. I cannot fully articulate the contempt I have for such stupidity.

left wing host Krystal Ball 342k followers
Massie was absolutely right. lawmakers should have been forced to record their votes on this massive corporate bailout.If Pelosi had allowed remote voting they could have done so without violating CDC guidelines.

The Rush Limbaugh show had him on:
Thomas Massie

Today I joined the Rush Limbaugh show with guest host
@kenmatthews
to talk about the unconstitutional attempt by leadership on both sides of the aisle to pass the LARGEST SPENDING BILL EVER without actually voting. Miss the interview? You can listen here:

Michael Tracey
The backlash to Massie stems from Members not wanting to be on the official record when this bailout proves to be an ineffectual and corrupt acceleration of consolidated corporate power -- that does very little for regular people. Enjoy your one-time $1,200 check though

Rep. Chip Roy
"@RepThomasMassie is one of the most principled men in Congress & loves his country. He is defending the Constitution today by requiring a quorum. There’s nothing 3rd rate about that, @realDonaldTrump. I may miss vote if he forces roll call (flights) but it will pass. Back off,"

Col. Rob Maness ret.
Ok
@realDonaldTrump
#IStandWithMassie. Your tweet is BS. There is always value in minority voices in this country. #SassiewithMassie
@RepThomasMassie

Rep Paul Gosar
Mr. President. @RepThomasMassie is a good man and a solid conservative. He believes in the Constitution strongly. We won’t always agree on strategy or policy. But he doesn’t warrant this dressing down. Thomas—Hang tough brother.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Mar 28 2020 03:22am
Gold: 1.93
Mar 28 2020 03:26am
I agree with massie.
Mar 28 2020 03:26am
Quote (cambovenzi @ 28 Mar 2020 10:10)
Way to brainlessly repeat the idiotic and childish kerry insult.

"absolutely no one coming to his aide" vs reality:

Senator Rand Paul

Rep Justin Amash

Rep Justin Amash

Senator Mike Lee

Rep. Warren Davidson

The dailywire's matt walsh 301k followers

left wing host Krystal Ball 342k followers

The Rush Limbaugh show had him on:

Michael Tracey

Rep. Chip Roy

Col. Rob Maness ret.

Rep Paul Gosar

I stand corrected. From Congress, his friend, mentor and like-minded wrench-thrower Rand Paul, Justin Amash whose political career is already over and 2 backbencher Reps have defended him. The only defender that really carries weight in this matter is Mike Lee.

Still... after an unprecedented attack from the President against a member of his own party, only 4 out of 250 Republicans in Congress have defended him. More than I thought, but still speaks to how marginalized the libertarian strain of the Republican party has become.

Mar 28 2020 03:35am
'no one and I mean absolutely no one will ever defend him!!!'

'oh whats that several congressmen did? they dont count'

If you meant the establishment rats that should be watering trees right now wont defend him then say so. It has an entirely different meaning.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Mar 28 2020 03:36am
Mar 28 2020 03:38am
Quote (cambovenzi @ 28 Mar 2020 10:35)
'no one and I mean absolutely no one will ever defend him!!!'

'oh whats that several congressmen did? they dont count'

If you meant the establishment rats that should be watering trees right now wont defend him then say so. It has an entirely different meaning.

Like I said, I was a bit hyperbolic. My core argument, namely that Massie's stance has only VERY marginal backing in Congress, still stands.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1247248249250251910Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll