d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > Return Of The Shaman > A Continuation
Prev12345625Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 175.01
Nov 10 2019 01:13am
Quote (Foxist @ Nov 9 2019 07:10pm)
Wish items could still be rolled... would definitely just pay for some high end custom pelt to make this toon if the option was still there lol

You could just play on the private pvp server and have a perfect pelt.
Gold: 111.00
Nov 10 2019 07:13pm
Quote (Worrywart @ Nov 10 2019 02:13am)
You could just play on the private pvp server and have a perfect pelt.

Talking about path of diablo or something different?
Gold: 175.01
Nov 10 2019 07:27pm
Quote (00apacolypse @ Nov 10 2019 08:13pm)
Talking about path of diablo or something different?

Asgard
Gold: 0.00
Nov 11 2019 10:30am
i was taking the guide "seriously" till i starting reading your duel strategies

according to them, basically every matchup is easy for this character. yep, a character whose main skills are either weak or based on luck.

if a maxed sinergies grizzly with fanactism, conc/might and maxed how has a relative hard time catching and 1-hitting casters: what makes you think yours will kill anything with ease?
Gold: 111.00
Nov 11 2019 10:36am
Quote (Fari @ Nov 11 2019 11:30am)

according to them, basically every matchup is easy for this character. yep, a character whose main skills are either weak or based on luck.

if a maxed sinergies grizzly with fanactism, conc/might and maxed how has a relative hard time catching and 1-hitting casters: what makes you think yours will kill anything with ease?

Duel strats are quoted from previous guides. Take them as a grain of salt, they are merely a baseline as to how to approach certain situations. I don't agree with them majority of them either.
Thanks for posting
Gold: 22,189.49
Nov 11 2019 12:09pm
Quote (Fari @ Nov 11 2019 10:30am)

its really the opposite, a grizzly has its easiest time hitting casters and its almost impossible to ever land a hit on an assassin, hard to land a hit on a barb and can be hard depending on pally type
'catching' and hitting a character like a sorc or necro with a volcano-bear combo or just bear on/off strikes lightning fast is what a shaman does very well
what it does very poorly is try to fight into mind blast & whirlwind, at which point you might as well just tokenstat mb+fire and wear facets and wsg wigglewalk in fissures and pray because I must have been high when I wrote hybrids as a workable matchup, but then again the meta for dueling was a bit different 13 years ago.

one thing that sticks out to me is how people changed playing amazons. It was trivially easy to win against zons who did nothing but wsg around with multi/ga and all you had to do was nameclick one teleport and it was over. Then people actually started getting good at dueling, now you have to worry about bowazons using strafe and instantly killing glass druids on arrival or being hybrids with plague.

This post was edited by Goomshill on Nov 11 2019 12:14pm
Nov 11 2019 12:16pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Nov 11 2019 03:09pm)
its really the opposite, a grizzly has its easiest time hitting casters and its almost impossible to ever land a hit on an assassin, hard to land a hit on a barb and can be hard depending on pally type
'catching' and hitting a character like a sorc or necro with a volcano-bear combo or just bear on/off strikes lightning fast is what a shaman does very well
what it does very poorly is try to fight into mind blast & whirlwind, at which point you might as well just tokenstat mb+fire and wear facets and wsg wigglewalk in fissures and pray because I must have been high when I wrote hybrids as a workable matchup, but then again the meta for dueling was a bit different 13 years ago.

one thing that sticks out to me is how people changed playing amazons. It was trivially easy to win against zons who did nothing but wsg around with multi/ga and all you had to do was nameclick one teleport and it was over. Then people actually started getting good at dueling, now you have to worry about bowazons using strafe and instantly killing glass druids on arrival or being hybrids with plague.

but doesnt 1-hit them

shiver/chilling armor is a good counter too
Nov 11 2019 12:39pm
Quote (Fari @ Nov 11 2019 12:16pm)
but doesnt 1-hit them

shiver/chilling armor is a good counter too

making a druid spend 40 mana and 0.44 seconds to recast his bear after he slaps you for 8000 physical damage isn't much of a counter
the real counters are skills and tactics that can either prevent a bear strike from connecting or kill the druid if he gets on top of you
a shaman can't stomp a windy at any point other than catching him with his pants down with a delayed namelock while he recasts, because spirit wolves make your bear miss, landing on nados will fhr your bear and interrupt its attack, and nados will also kill the shaman. Turns that duel into a mess of spamming fissures, baiting jumps and forcing recasting wolves/cyclones and looking to make a jump without getting baited. Likewise, as long as a bvc or ghost is holding down whirlwind, you can't connect a bear hit- it will just get hit by whirlwind and get FHR'd/dead (and the shaman too), the defense/block/movement besides. And mind blast simply disables your bear for 10 seconds and necessitates recasting which makes it next to impossible to land any hits.

but if you just namelock a volcano on a sorceress and then switch to namelock teleport on the next cast, either she stays put and gets interrupted by volcano and creates the opening to stomp, or she gets a teleport off and then you land on her post-teleport location and stomp her as she's not casting spells. As opposed to if the sorc is spamming fireballs/lightning/ice blast towards you or upwards in which case a simple namelock teleport might get you and your bear locked up on arrival. A sorc can lay traps with meteor or blizzard, but you have fissure and volcano to nudge campers out of their entrenched locations
Nov 11 2019 12:54pm
your guide states: "volcano has a xxx frame delay before shooting". catching a sorc isnt as easy as you describe it.

it's a pity because it looks like a nice build, but it'll surely have serious problems killing almost every competitive class
Nov 11 2019 02:31pm
Quote (Fari @ Nov 11 2019 12:54pm)
your guide states: "volcano has a xxx frame delay before shooting". catching a sorc isnt as easy as you describe it.

it's a pity because it looks like a nice build, but it'll surely have serious problems killing almost every competitive class

volcano hits on frame #2 after it appears, nearly instantly, virtually guaranteeing it connects every time its cast (if the action frame of their teleport was exactly the same frame as volcano's it can miss, a 1/10 chance at random timings vs a 10 fpa teleport for example). The base of the volcano has 10 nextdelay and thus hits every 11 frames (so hits on frame #2, #13, #24...) while fires have 5 nextdelay but are spread out in the aoe around it, only generally relevant if they walk out of it, but sometimes landing on top of the volcano and slightly speeding up its hit frequency since the fires last 18 frames each
when you cast volcano, you're put on the 11 frame skill delay timer, which can slightly delay your followup teleport. This starts at the action frame- a 99 fcr druid with a 7/4 animation effectively gets up to 7 extra frames of delay before their next cast
however, like FoH/smite combos, this skill delay functions differently on battle.net servers than on single player, and skill delay randomly ends early, fairly frequently, and often having no delaying effect at all
so sometimes you have a slightly delayed teleport after volcano, sometimes you teleport immediately after it. I have no idea what causes this, but its very easily seen in-game, just spam foh and teleport after it on some monsters and you can see how the skills red-out and flash back early sometimes.

so to look at the dynamics of a normal volcano/bear combo

frame #1: you start casting namelocked volcano
frame #7: volcano appears, you get put on random 0-11 frame skill delay
frame #8: volcano deals damage, capable of putting opponent into blocking animation, or FHR based on their max life & damage mitigation (1/16 of their max HP for 37.5% chance to FHR)
frame #11: casting animation finishes
frame #12...19: you start your teleport cast, at some point based on random skill delay
frame #18...25: you complete your teleport, appearing next to the target whether they are still on the volcano or teleported off it
frame #19: volcano deals damage again, which should be able to block or FHR interrupt opponent again I think (*)
frame #22...29: your teleport cast animation finishes
frame #23...30: you start casting your next teleport (whether chainstomp, or off again)
frame #24...31: grizzly connects its hit for damage and FHR or block, 50% chance to knockback and guaranteed FHR
frame #30: volcano deals damage again, block or FHR

you can connect 2 hits of volcano and a grizzly smite in under 1 second from starting your cast, and 10k physical + 2.8k fire damage with more volcano followups lingering is going to put a dent in anyone.
one thing I'm not 100% sure of is whether the 10-11 frame 'free block' timer lets you block every other hit of volcano without an animation or whether its exactly the frequency (11 fpa) to blocklock someone. I can't remember this without testing it, its not very immediately identifiable even dueling with it, you just see people getting interrupted a few times.
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
Prev12345625Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll