d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Incredible Video About Lost Ancient Civilizations
Prev1345
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
Sep 6 2019 09:37am
Quote (Snyft2 @ Sep 6 2019 10:28am)
i did watch, that one is very cute :wub: ! but i had no arguments against it so i didnt mention it, i mean it is one of the better theories out there cause it also explains the causeways :blush: also i wasnt very surprised by it, here we use a similar idea to lift boats up the river if it has cascades :wacko:

still it looks weird to me...i mean lets say theres some way to cut them perfectly using ropes and such, and have the idea of the huge stone blocks with different shapes. but how in hell would egyptians do it the absolutely same way as the incas, same cutting, same structure etc...very hard to me to watch how similar they are and assume the builders did them unknowingly of each other :wacko:

that question can be extended to many different things. in general it's confirmation bias. different cultures have 10x more different than common. but the commonalities stick out. one people wear closed toed shoes, the others sandles, another no shoes at all. one eat mostly fish, the other no fish, another only cows, etc.

in the context of cutting stone we can use occam's razor and the adage "necessity is the mother of invention" to explain it. both cultures 'needed' a way to shape large stones, both cultures had rope, both cultures had only basic metallurgy, both cultures had sand. if a rope saw with sand and or copper was the easiest way to do it, occam's razor suggests both cultures would do it this way. there are very few examples of ancient cultures doing things in an unnecessarily difficulty way. if there was an easier way they found it, because they had thousands of years to discover the method and they needed to.

take metallurgy for example. we have copper culture in the great lakes region of the USA, but those people that immigrated were stone age hunter and gatherers. and thousands of years before they started shaping copper the land bridge and contact with asia was cut off. so in asia, europe, africa, and north america copper culture started independently of each other. at the very least North America created it by themselves. they, like africans, needed better tools. and they both found out how to do that independently of each other but in the same way.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Sep 6 2019 09:38am
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Prev1345
Add Reply New Topic New Poll