d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Alyssa Milano Fights Abortion Laws By... > Calling For A " Sex Strike "
Prev1121314151618Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 11,456.00
May 18 2019 09:21pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 18 2019 08:16pm)
The outliers are used to highlight the right's attempt to make the issue of abortion seem so simple when it invariably is more complex than their laws and "abortion = murder" rhetoric makes it seem. It should encourage people with anti-abortion views to consider their positions in more depth than simply "abortion = murder", but oftentimes this isn't the case.

As Beo has rightfully pointed out, exploring the reality of application of an "abortion = murder" mindset is pretty complex.

Except it is murder. A person willfully makes the decision to end another life. Without that choice that leads to negative stimuli that child will be born.

Like I said above, those are extreme cases, people can easily get in a car drive 3 hours to a neighboring state and get the procedure done. No one acknowledges this reality and everyone is tripping all over themselves to highlight rape and incest when it makes up less than 1% of abortions.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on May 18 2019 09:21pm
Gold: 28,296.69
May 18 2019 09:21pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 18 2019 08:18pm)
Am I reading his response correctly in that effective murder is okay so long as it's expensive and laborious?

apparently

he even went as far as not going after the doctors which is a rare find

somehow he is an extreme liberal while being an extreme conservative when it comes to "murdering" the unborn.
May 18 2019 09:28pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 18 2019 08:18pm)
Am I reading his response correctly in that effectively murder is okay so long as it's expensive and laborious?

No, you're just bastardizing what I mean.

Murder is not okay, but if the costs to murder are increased then those increased costs will eventually lead to lower rates.

I'll give you an example, I live in New York State. We have very high taxes on cigarettes. It costs like 11/pack here. This relatively high cost compared to other states doesn't mean we don't have smokers but since taxes went up by so much, we're actually seeing fewer smokers. In fact from 2003 to 2012 smoking rates have gone down 38% in NY. It's the same principle here.

May 18 2019 09:29pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ May 18 2019 08:28pm)

Murder is not okay, but if the costs to murder are increased then those increased costs will eventually lead to lower rates.

I'll give you an example, I live in New York State. We have very high taxes on cigarettes. It costs like 11/pack here. This relatively high cost compared to other states doesn't mean we don't have smokers but since taxes went up by so much, we're actually seeing fewer smokers. In fact from 2003 to 2012 smoking rates have gone down 38% in NY. It's the same principle here.

so we should stop incarcerating murderers and just raise the murder fines?

This post was edited by Beowulf on May 18 2019 09:29pm
Gold: 1.66
May 18 2019 09:32pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ May 18 2019 07:28pm)

How are these comparable? Smoking is legal and you're referring to an attempt to lessen smoking via taxes, not making smoking illegal. Murder is illegal.

If I were to say that I had plans to murder you, I bet you would be comfortable with plans for the government to intervene and would find issue with the government's reluctance to intervene until AFTER I murdered you. Why do you not feel the same way about abortion if it is indeed "murder"?
May 18 2019 09:33pm
Quote (Beowulf @ May 18 2019 08:29pm)
so we should stop incarcerating murderers and just raise the murder fines?

I feel dumber engaging you. At times you're good for one or two on-topic posts but then you steer discussion to dumbfuckary like the above statement.
Gold: 0.00
May 18 2019 09:33pm
The whole sex strike thing is kinda dumb and implies a bunch of problematic things.
If you're with someone who supports something you find so egregious - dump em.
If you view sex as something you don't also need from your partner then you need to have better sex (unless in some kind of asexual arrangement thing).
If you think that the man in your life won't support you in voting for your reproductive rights then wtf are you doing with him?

I just don't understand the logic of it.

What I do understand is young girls in Georgia being terrified to have sex because they don't want to have a miscarriage and end up in prison until they're post-menopausal.
May 18 2019 09:34pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ May 18 2019 08:33pm)
I feel dumber engaging you. At times you're good for one or two on-topic posts but then you steer discussion to dumbfuckary like the above statement.

Well smart guy you keep calling abortion murder

you then say no imprisonment for the women or the doctors

so why is it ok to give the "murder" of the unborn the cigarette tax treatment but not other murderers?

Spend less time thinking you're smarter than everyone else and think about your own rhetoric
May 18 2019 09:36pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 18 2019 08:32pm)
How are these comparable? Smoking is legal and you're referring to an attempt to lessen smoking via taxes, not making smoking illegal. Murder is illegal.

If I were to say that I had plans to murder you, I bet you would be comfortable with plans for the government to intervene and would find issue with the government's reluctance to intervene until AFTER I murdered you. Why do you not feel the same way about abortion if it is indeed "murder"?

Murder by abortion is not illegal. They are comparable in the sense that increased costs will decrease rates .

I'm not looking to win the war, that's a tall task and that ship has sailed but if we win this battle and abortion rates go down this is a win I will be happy about. I'm being pragmatic.
May 18 2019 09:38pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ May 18 2019 08:36pm)
Murder by abortion is not illegal. They are comparable in the sense that increased costs will decrease rates.

I'm not looking to win the war, that's a tall task and that ship has sailed but if we win this battle and abortion rates go down this is a win I will be happy about. I'm being pragmatic.

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1121314151618Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll