d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Alyssa Milano Fights Abortion Laws By... > Calling For A " Sex Strike "
Prev1111213141518Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 11,571.00
May 18 2019 08:48pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ May 18 2019 07:40pm)
Abortion comes down to whether slavery and torture are worse than murder.
Since to me the woman will suffer more than an embryo I support the choice of the woman.

The murder part you got right, the slavery and torture part is about the biggest hyperbole ever witnessed on pard.
Gold: 1.66
May 18 2019 08:53pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ May 18 2019 06:48pm)
The murder part you got right, the slavery and torture part is about the biggest hyperbole ever witnessed on pard.

Depends on which variation of anti-abortion law(s) you consider. Alabama's makes no exception for rape or incest, and people then make reference to young girls (such as 11-years-old) who have become pregnant via rape who, under such laws, would be either forced to carry to term or face lifetime imprisonment for aborting.

That seems pretty torturous.
Gold: 28,296.69
May 18 2019 08:53pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ May 18 2019 07:48pm)

do you support punishment for the woman since you consider it legally murder? this would have to include restraints and imprisonment in the case of women actively seeking abortion with it being murder

or are you going to give the go after the doctors not the women but I'll call it murder type of answer
May 18 2019 08:55pm
Quote (Beowulf @ May 18 2019 06:53pm)
do you support punishment for the woman since you consider it legally murder? this would have to include restraints and imprisonment in the case of women actively seeking abortion with it being murder

or are you going to give the go after the doctors not the women but I'll call it murder type of answer

They don't want to treat it as murder. They only want to punish it as murder. You rightfully highlight this key difference.
Gold: 1.93
May 18 2019 08:57pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ May 19 2019 01:48pm)

Child birth is often described as one of the most painful acts you can go through, and forcing someone to be an incubator is 100% slavery, there is even a dystopian novel about the concept called the handmaidens tale.
Gold: 11,571.00
May 18 2019 09:06pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ May 18 2019 07:53pm)
Depends on which variation of anti-abortion law(s) you consider. Alabama's makes no exception for rape or incest, and people then make reference to young girls (such as 11-years-old) who have become pregnant via rape who, under such laws, would be either forced to carry to term or face lifetime imprisonment for aborting.

That seems pretty torturous.

Why are outliers or cases we could count on our hands always front and center? You and I both know statistically speaking those types of scenarios are rare.

Quote (Beowulf @ May 18 2019 07:53pm)

Chicken little the sky isn't falling. This appeal to fear is not consistent with reality. No, I don't want these women imprisoned or the doctors imprisoned, what I'm happy about is that it will be harder and more expensive to get abortions now. A person living in one of those states will just be forced to go to a neighboring state. I want people to feel the pain of ending another humans life- whether its financial, having to travel, etc. It's the only way it will discourage people from being so careless about pregnancies. I rather a teen go cry to mom and mom take her 2 states over and spend thousands rather than have corner store abortion clinics where you can get it sucked out in under 20 minutes at the taxpayers expense without a second thought. You're ending another person's life, in 99% of cases not because of rape or incest but out of convenience, i won't shed any tears that it's more expensive or a bigger inconvenience.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on May 18 2019 09:07pm
Gold: 28,296.69
May 18 2019 09:07pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ May 18 2019 08:06pm)
Why are outliers or cases we could count on our hands always front and center? You and I both know statistically speaking those types of scenarios are rare.

Chicken little the sky isn't falling. This appeal to fear is not consistent with reality. No, I don't want these women imprisoned or the doctors imprisoned, what I'm happy about is that it will be harder and more expensive to get abortions now. A person living in one of those states will just be forced to go to a neighboring state. I want people to feel the pain of ending another humans life- whether its financial, having to travel, etc. It's the only way it will discourage people from being so careless about pregnancies. I rather a teen go cry to mom and mom take her 2 states over and spend thousands rather have corner store abortion clinics where you can get it sucked out in under 20 minutes at the taxpayers expense without a second thought. You're ending another person's life, in 99% of cases not because of rape or incest but out of convenience, i won't shed any tears that it's more expensive or a bigger inconvenience.

Then you also are engaging in hyperbole with the murder rhetoric
May 18 2019 09:16pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ May 18 2019 07:06pm)

The outliers are used to highlight the right's attempt to make the issue of abortion seem so simple when it invariably is more complex than their laws and "abortion = murder" rhetoric makes it seem. It should encourage people with anti-abortion views to consider their positions in more depth than simply "abortion = murder", but oftentimes this isn't the case.

As Beo has rightfully pointed out, exploring the reality of application of an "abortion = murder" mindset is pretty complex.
May 18 2019 09:18pm
Quote (Beowulf @ May 18 2019 07:07pm)
Then you also are engaging in hyperbole with the murder rhetoric

Am I reading his response correctly in that effectively murder is okay so long as it's expensive and laborious?

This post was edited by Handcuffs on May 18 2019 09:19pm
Gold: 1.93
May 18 2019 09:19pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ May 19 2019 02:06pm)

Chicken little the sky isn't falling. This appeal to fear is not consistent with reality. No, I don't want these women imprisoned or the doctors imprisoned, what I'm happy about is that it will be harder and more expensive to get abortions now. A person living in one of those states will just be forced to go to a neighboring state. I want people to feel the pain of ending another humans life- whether its financial, having to travel, etc. It's the only way it will discourage people from being so careless about pregnancies. I rather a teen go cry to mom and mom take her 2 states over and spend thousands rather than have corner store abortion clinics where you can get it sucked out in under 20 minutes at the taxpayers expense without a second thought. You're ending another person's life, in 99% of cases not because of rape or incest but out of convenience, i won't shed any tears that it's more expensive or a bigger inconvenience.

Its also illegal to do it out of state..
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1111213141518Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll