d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Democrat Division Megathread
Prev19293949596205Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,617.52
Nov 3 2019 12:57pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Nov 3 2019 11:11am)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Hemings

Basically, the widowed Jefferson had a long-term relationship with this slave, took care well of her and their children, he did keep his promise to free the children once they came of age, and the girl voluntarily decided to accompany Jefferson back to Virginia, into slavehood, even though she could have stayed as a free woman in France.

It also seems as if there is little evidence to suggest he raped her (in the sense of forced intercourse as opposed to statutory rape - sleeping with 14-16 year old girls was relatively normal and socially accepted back then).

Jefferson's slavery surely is a taint on his legacy, but pretending he was some Simon Legree type figure (the brutal slaveowner from the novel Uncle Tom's Cabin) like this tweet seems blown way out of proportion. Oh, and needless to say that this tweet is a pure ad hominem attack and doesnt disprove Jefferson's description of the snakepit Washington DC at all.

Im glad people like you exist with knowledge and perspective on these things. Throwing away Jeffersons philosophical opinions completely would be a blight on the world. Man was a self made genius.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Nov 3 2019 01:00pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 3 Nov 2019 19:51)
their intimate relationship or ""relationship"" started while they were in France, where slavery was already abolished. she did have the option to stay in france as a free woman, but voluntarily decided to accompany Jefferson back to Virginia where she would continue to be a slave.

and once again, this whole jefferson-slavegirl thing is an ad hominem anyway.

because when you're a slave girl it's a totally realistic option to just start a new life in a foreign country. rape and slavery apologists will never cease to amaze me with their outlandish excuses.

the whole 'look daddy, jefferson said it as well' thing, blaming the people who look too closely in order to deflect from the actual issue, was already the same stupid argument you failed with, so you insisting that the context provided to that quote is ad hom is kind of... well, whatever you have to tell yourself i guess.
Nov 3 2019 01:07pm
Quote (fender @ Nov 3 2019 02:00pm)
because when you're a slave girl it's a totally realistic option to just start a new life in a foreign country. rape and slavery apologists will never cease to amaze me with their outlandish excuses.

the whole 'look daddy, jefferson said it as well' thing, blaming the people who look too closely in order to deflect from the actual issue, was already the same stupid argument you failed with, so you insisting that the context provided to that quote is ad hom is kind of... well, whatever you have to tell yourself i guess.

So much worse than getting conquered and murdered by a neighboring village in 1700’s Africa
Gold: 57.00
Nov 3 2019 01:11pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ 3 Nov 2019 14:07)
So much worse than getting conquered and murdered by a neighboring village in 1700’s Africa

or getting conquered and murdered by a neighboring country in 1910s or 1930s/1940s europe
Nov 3 2019 01:12pm
Quote (excellence @ Nov 3 2019 02:11pm)
or getting conquered and murdered by a neighboring country in 1910s or 1930s/1940s europe

LOL
Nov 3 2019 01:25pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ 3 Nov 2019 19:57)
Im glad people like you exist with knowledge and perspective on these things. Throwing away Jeffersons philosophical opinions completely would be a blight on the world. Man was a self made genius.

Quote (EndlessSky @ 3 Nov 2019 20:07)

i know this will probably be impossible for you to understand, but reasonably intelligent people are capable of acknowledging jefferson's genius, his ideas and ideals, as well as his accomplishments without having to make such ridiculous excuses for his human failings. your posts just illustrate your simplistic understanding of the world, where you have to whitewash someone's entire life in order to support anything else they did. again, that's completely unnecessary, reality is simply much more nuanced than that...
Gold: 4,400.67
Nov 3 2019 01:26pm
Quote (fender @ 3 Nov 2019 20:00)

you're still pretending like it was a fact that he raped her, although it isnt. and I'm not apologizing slavery - all I'm doing is insist on differentiating. not every slave owner was a brutal monster who was whipping his slaves across the cotton fields all day while chain-raping the females at night.

slavery was horrible and should have been gone a lot earlier than it did, but I refuse to discredit all the other good things the founding fathers did over their participation in it. they were a product of their time. perspective is not an excuse, but still important when assessing historical figures.

the attempts at deconstructing the entire legacy of the founding fathers over slavery by the far-left are ridiculous. this becomes very apparent when you look at the fact that torture and the death penalty (for non-capital crimes) are nowadays not considered acceptable either, and almost every general and ruler in pre-1800 history used them to varying degrees, yet there are no attempts at discrediting historical figures over it. virtually all historical figures with an ambiguous track record are granted an ambiguous assessment, and are allowed to be celebrated if their achievements were big enough (.e.g. Churchill and Napoleon) - only the founding fathers shall not be afforded this ambiguity according to the far left.
Gold: 22,189.49
Nov 3 2019 01:30pm
Quote (fender @ Nov 3 2019 03:02am)
ivanka tried a similar defence:

https://i.imgur.com/Uw4Ch4p.png

Wow its almost like twitter and reddit obsessed over this fake history nonsense to get drumpf, unaware that Jefferson's letter being quoted here was penned a year prior to the controversy over his relationship with Sally Hemmings, which did not become public and used against him by his opponents until 1802. That letter was dated Feb. 5th, 1801. The Sally Hemmings controversy only starting September 1st, 1802 when James Callendar wrote a series of Federalist articles alleging Sally Hemmings was Jefferson's 'concubine', citing that he witnessed light-skinned slaves at Jefferson's residence.

But hey, don't let actual history get in the way of people accusing Ivanka Trump of not knowing actual history.

This post was edited by Goomshill on Nov 3 2019 01:34pm
Nov 3 2019 01:37pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 3 Nov 2019 20:26)
you're still pretending like it was a fact that he raped her, although it isnt. and I'm not apologizing slavery - all I'm doing is insist on differentiating. not every slave owner was a brutal monster who was whipping his slaves across the cotton fields all day while chain-raping the females at night.

slavery was horrible and should have been gone a lot earlier than it did, but I refuse to discredit all the other good things the founding fathers did over their participation in it. they were a product of their time. perspective is not an excuse, but still important when assessing historical figures.

the attempts at deconstructing the entire legacy of the founding fathers over slavery by the far-left are ridiculous. this becomes very apparent when you look at the fact that torture and the death penalty (for non-capital crimes) are nowadays not considered acceptable either, and almost every general and ruler in pre-1800 history used them to varying degrees, yet there are no attempts at discrediting historical figures over it. virtually all historical figures with an ambiguous track record are granted an ambiguous assessment, and are allowed to be celebrated if their achievements were big enough (.e.g. Churchill and Napoleon) - only the founding fathers shall not be afforded this ambiguity according to the far left.

same as endlesscry: just because YOU live in a world where everything has to be either black or white, doesn't mean that's true for everyone else. literally no one said that jefferson's ideas were all shit because he raped his slave girl. that's a strawman you committed to because someone slammed ivanka's pathetic deflection attempt.

and no, there is no consensual sexual relationship between a slave girl and her master, just like there is none between a student and a teacher, or a girl and her father - no matter what kind of ridiculous excuses you want to make in order to whitewash his legacy...
Gold: 57.00
Nov 3 2019 01:42pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 3 Nov 2019 14:30)
Wow its almost like twitter and reddit obsessed over this fake history nonsense to get drumpf, unaware that Jefferson's letter being quoted here was penned a year prior to the controversy over his relationship with Sally Hemmings, which did not become public and used against him by his opponents until 1802. That letter was dated Feb. 5th, 1801. The Sally Hemmings controversy only starting September 1st, 1802 when James Callendar wrote a series of Federalist articles alleging Sally Hemmings was Jefferson's 'concubine', citing that he witnessed light-skinned slaves at Jefferson's residence.

But hey, don't let actual history get in the way of people accusing Ivanka Trump of not knowing actual history.

https://i.imgur.com/6MkcgdJ.png

fender bombed like his warmongering adolf-loving ancestor in 1945
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev19293949596205Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll