d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Democrat Division Megathread
Prev1203204205
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,376.70
Apr 6 2020 07:54am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 6 2020 06:44am)
- You're right about how the current system discriminates against people who have to use mass transit or have irregular work hours. That's a good point, and I shouldnt hold the difficulties that this causes some people for voting against them.

Irregular work hours are seldom an issue. Employers are required to provide enough time for employees to vote. Doesn't have to be paid, can be unpaid, but it's a legal requirement. And I'm uncertain how transit impacts the vote at all. Like, what's so hard about calling an uber, catching a bus, riding a bicycle, or walking? How many miles are you having to trek, exactly? Election day is a full business day (11-13 hours), and again, employers are required by law to provide time for employees to vote. :)

This post was edited by InsaneBobb on Apr 6 2020 07:55am
Gold: 4,400.67
Apr 6 2020 08:07am
Quote (InsaneBobb @ 6 Apr 2020 15:54)
Irregular work hours are seldom an issue. Employers are required to provide enough time for employees to vote. Doesn't have to be paid, can be unpaid, but it's a legal requirement. And I'm uncertain how transit impacts the vote at all. Like, what's so hard about calling an uber, catching a bus, riding a bicycle, or walking? How many miles are you having to trek, exactly? Election day is a full business day (11-13 hours), and again, employers are required by law to provide time for employees to vote. :)

In shitty service jobs, many employers will still hold it against their employees if they insist on taking time off. And many of these employees cant afford to lose half a day of wages or tips. Note that there can be long lines, so you cant plan on being done with voting within 15 mins once you arrive at the polling site. It can take 2+ hours just lining up, plus the travel time.

Skinned is probably overblowing the extent of this problem somewhat, but it still exists for many people.
Apr 6 2020 08:13am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 6 2020 07:07am)
In shitty service jobs, many employers will still hold it against their employees if they insist on taking time off. And many of these employees cant afford to lose half a day of wages or tips. Note that there can be long lines, so you cant plan on being done with voting within 15 mins once you arrive at the polling site. It can take 2+ hours just lining up, plus the travel time.

Skinned is probably overblowing the extent of this problem somewhat, but it still exists for many people.

Employers quite literally cannot "hold it against the employee" to take the time to vote. Again, that's a violation of law. I've worked enough of those "shitty service jobs". Time was always given to anyone who needed it. The only thing the employer ever asked was that employees let them know if they needed the time (didn't use absentee ballots) so they could stagger it out.

And no, the employee is not required to use any scheduled "meal time" to vote either. Regarding losing half a day's worth of wages or tips, I fail to understand how that's relevant. If voting is important to you, then you vote, regardless of the requirements. If it's not, then you don't. Fewer than half of registered voters vote, and fewer than half of people qualified to vote register. So it's not a big thing, really, if you choose to put your paycheck above your voting rights. :)

This post was edited by InsaneBobb on Apr 6 2020 08:13am
Gold: 285.00
Apr 6 2020 08:20am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Apr 6 2020 09:27am)
Voting booths are open until 9 pm in most states. In the inner city most voting centers are walking distance since they are based on your zip code. I live in the inner city, and my voting station is 300 yards from my house, 5 minute walk.

Like i get why you keep dramatizing the feats that people have to go through to vote but lol.

Open them all week and have plenty of absentee ballots available.

You just hate democracy so fuck off idgaf about bootlickers.

Not everyone is you ffs.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 6 2020 09:44am)
Just a few points:

- Yes, the GOP activated a lot of low information whites against Obamacare. And it was nefarious. Nonetheless, there are still more nonwhite than white low information voters in the country.

- The number of false and right positives in the criminal justice system is disproportionate for people of color. Pretending like their overrepresentation is just the result of false positives/lack of legal representation/etc is disingenious. Note that the higher crime rates among POC can largely be explained by poverty and a lack of opportunity/privilege. Not entirely, but largely. So just to emphasize this: I'm not buying into the racist arguments that "niggaz gonna thug" or stuff like that. Their higher crime rates are still a fact, and unlike you, I dont ignore this fact just because it's inconvenient.

- Felons voting is not miniscule. With the Florida initiative to restore felong voting rights, up to 900k additional votes could become eligible according to the pundits. If just half of those 900k vote, and they break Democratic at a 2:1 margin, that would shift the statewide margin by 150k votes in the Democrats' favor. Trump's margin in 2016 was 120k votes.

- You're right about how the current system discriminates against people who have to use mass transit or have irregular work hours. That's a good point, this causes some people difficulties with voting, and I shouldnt hold those difficulties against them.

Half this county is white and 85% of people in general are clueless, you do the math. Are you telling me all those bovine minded whites soaking up dancing with the stars and mystery singer are deep thinkers? You're full of shit lol. Your white supremacy fantasies are noted and we will be watching out for another reich.

Florida needs more felons voting probably, right now their governor has the blood of many of his citizens on his hands. He is killing people as we speak through his passivity. Maybe Florida politics wouldnt be dominated by scumbags so much.

Compare the crimes committed by POC and their white neighbors and its about the same. Zip code is greater than race in the US. A white person isn't oppressing black people then moving next door to them lol. Comparing crimes committed by people in the hood vs people in the suburbs is kinda meaningless. Might as well say women make .75 what a man makes its one of those kinds of numbers.

Quote (InsaneBobb @ Apr 6 2020 10:13am)
Employers quite literally cannot "hold it against the employee" to take the time to vote. Again, that's a violation of law. I've worked enough of those "shitty service jobs". Time was always given to anyone who needed it. The only thing the employer ever asked was that employees let them know if they needed the time (didn't use absentee ballots) so they could stagger it out.

And no, the employee is not required to use any scheduled "meal time" to vote either. Regarding losing half a day's worth of wages or tips, I fail to understand how that's relevant. If voting is important to you, then you vote, regardless of the requirements. If it's not, then you don't. Fewer than half of registered voters vote, and fewer than half of people qualified to vote register. So it's not a big thing, really, if you choose to put your paycheck above your voting rights. :)

So the people who are committing wage theft are respecting voting rights?

Spoken like someone who has never been stiffed out of a paycheck.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 6 2020 08:27am
Apr 6 2020 08:37am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 6 2020 07:20am)
Open them all week and have plenty of absentee ballots available.

You just hate democracy so fuck off idgaf about bootlickers.

Not everyone is you ffs.

Half this county is white and 85% of people in general are clueless, you do the math. Are you telling me all those bovine minded whites soaking up dancing with the stars and mystery singer are deep thinkers? You're full of shit lol. Your white supremacy fantasies are noted and we will be watching out for another reich.

Florida needs more felons voting probably, right now their governor has the blood of many of his citizens on his hands. He is killing people as we speak through his passivity. Maybe Florida politics wouldnt be dominated by scumbags so much.

Compare the crimes committed by POC and their white neighbors and its about the same. Zip code is greater than race in the US. A white person isn't oppressing black people then moving next door to them lol. Comparing crimes committed by people in the hood vs people in the suburbs is kinda meaningless. Might as well say women make .75 what a man makes its one of those kinds of numbers.

So the people who are committing wage theft are respecting voting rights?

Spoken like someone who has never been stiffed out of a paycheck.

1. I agree that "Election Day" is kind of BS. Polls should be open all week, as opposed to just one day. A full week, weekend included. At that point, nobody would have any excuse other than "they didn't want to".

2. Felons voting would be a no imo. That's one of the rights you give up when you commit a felony. I would support them voting after they have served their time and completed any probation. At that point, they've paid their debt to society and proven they can contribute, so I see no reason why they can't help determine it's direction.

3. What does wage theft have to do with anything whatsoever? Can you be more specific about what you're referring to, because your response to me makes very little sense without specific context.
Apr 6 2020 08:52am
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Apr 6 2020 10:37am)
1. I agree that "Election Day" is kind of BS. Polls should be open all week, as opposed to just one day. A full week, weekend included. At that point, nobody would have any excuse other than "they didn't want to".

2. Felons voting would be a no imo. That's one of the rights you give up when you commit a felony. I would support them voting after they have served their time and completed any probation. At that point, they've paid their debt to society and proven they can contribute, so I see no reason why they can't help determine it's direction.

3. What does wage theft have to do with anything whatsoever? Can you be more specific about what you're referring to, because your response to me makes very little sense without specific context.

I just said that some employers are scumbags who don't request voting rights even if many are ok and do. I used wage theft as an example of widespread and well known abuse.

I wasn't talking about people voting from prison, im referring to people who are done with their punishment. It isn't serving time or paying debt to society, its just a punishment that should end when its over. Seems like we agree there.

Florida is a tropical third world. That state is fucked. Great to visit.
Apr 6 2020 09:08am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 6 2020 07:52am)
I just said that some employers are scumbags who don't request voting rights even if many are ok and do. I used wage theft as an example of widespread and well known abuse.

I wasn't talking about people voting from prison, im referring to people who are done with their punishment. It isn't serving time or paying debt to society, its just a punishment that should end when its over. Seems like we agree there.

Florida is a tropical third world. That state is fucked. Great to visit.

Probation/Parole is still part of the "punishment" and therefore needs served in full imo. Just because they aren't in a cage doesn't mean they suddenly have full rights again.

And if the employee states they need time to vote, the employer has to grant it, they have no legal right to refuse. Depends on which state how much time they are required to give, and they are not required to pay for that time. But outright refusal, and any retribution whatsoever are both massive forms of business crime, with much higher penalties than minor wage theft. And most companies/businesses that commit wage theft end up closing up shop. And why would you want to work for anyone who's not paying you?
Apr 6 2020 09:19am
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Apr 6 2020 11:08am)
Probation/Parole is still part of the "punishment" and therefore needs served in full imo. Just because they aren't in a cage doesn't mean they suddenly have full rights again.

And if the employee states they need time to vote, the employer has to grant it, they have no legal right to refuse. Depends on which state how much time they are required to give, and they are not required to pay for that time. But outright refusal, and any retribution whatsoever are both massive forms of business crime, with much higher penalties than minor wage theft. And most companies/businesses that commit wage theft end up closing up shop. And why would you want to work for anyone who's not paying you?

Why do you think most companies that commit wage theft close down shop?

One of the biggest is Disney and its going nowhere. The lists of these places are huge in every city and includes fortune 500 companies. Also the amount of wage theft against contractors and illegal workers is staggering. The undocumented workers have no recourse at all in most cases.

I understand what rights it is claimed we have, but rights are matters to be discussed among equals, and rights are violated all the time. Your recourse is quit your job? Or pay a dude $500 an hour to sue your boss and have to pay retainer up front? And you have to have physical evidence and not just hearsay. How would you prove that you even requested off? Writen letter that is stamped by a notary to prove time and date? That could work in some places.

Why have it on one day anyway? Ive had a hard time getting to vote before because i was stuck late doing patient care when i didn't plan to be and not being able to vote because you're taking care of people professionally is a pretty dumb potential consequence of being autistically rigid about hundreds of millions of people voting during a narrowly restricted group of hours on one day out of the year regardless of weather.

As for parole or probation i don't really care either way. I'm not invested in that really. I don't think waiting until it is over is unreasonable, especially with parole.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 6 2020 09:22am
Gold: 4,400.67
Apr 6 2020 09:46am
Quote (Skinned @ 6 Apr 2020 16:20)
Half this county is white and 85% of people in general are clueless, you do the math.

Interest in and knowledge about politics are both strongly correlated with education, and the average educational attainment of whites exceeds that of blacks and hispanics. (Not sure about asians tho.)
You do the math...

Are you telling me all those bovine minded whites soaking up dancing with the stars and mystery singer are deep thinkers? You're full of shit lol.

Nice strawman, I never claimed anything like that. You should also note that being engaged and informed in politics is not a binary state, there are varying degrees to it. Most people are neither entirely clueless nor subscribed to the nytimes/wapo/politico. Millions of people fall between the bovine dwts-crowd and nerds like us who take the time to discuss politics on a webforum.

Your white supremacy fantasies are noted and we will be watching out for another reich.

Who is "we"?
Anyway, you're starting to sound like fender. :rolleyes:

The geriatric vote is particularly influential in Florida, and most of the pensioners lean Republican. They'll get what they voted for, one way or the other...

Then compare the number of black/hispanic "hoods" vs the number of crime-ridden mostly white zip codes. :rolleyes:
Apr 6 2020 10:06am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 6 2020 11:46am)
Interest in and knowledge about politics are both strongly correlated with education, and the average educational attainment of whites exceeds that of blacks and hispanics. (Not sure about asians tho.)
You do the math...

Nice strawman, I never claimed anything like that. You should also note that being engaged and informed in politics is not a binary state, there are varying degrees to it. Most people are neither entirely clueless nor subscribed to the nytimes/wapo/politico. Millions of people fall between the bovine dwts-crowd and nerds like us who take the time to discuss politics on a webforum.

Who is "we"?
Anyway, you're starting to sound like fender. :rolleyes:

The geriatric vote is particularly influential in Florida, and most of the pensioners lean Republican. They'll get what they voted for, one way or the other...

Then compare the number of black/hispanic "hoods" vs the number of crime-ridden mostly white zip codes. :rolleyes:

Are we stilled called hoods? I miss that. I never liked being a thug, hood was so much better :)

And i was being hyperbolic and kind of silly. We is whatever your favorite deep state conspirscy theory is.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1203204205
Add Reply New Topic New Poll