d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Democrat Division Megathread
Prev1202203204205Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,400.67
Mar 20 2020 02:32pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 20 Mar 2020 21:28)
indeed, many nonwhite nonmiddle aged-elderly dont vote. but what % of that is due to them not wanting to leave home? we dont know. if they could mail it in, who knows. they might.

Afaik, pundits all agree on that one: nationwide voting by mail would be a big advantage for Democrats. There might be a few places where that's not true, but their impact is probably irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
Gold: 6,466.00
Apr 5 2020 07:08pm
As Biden is lost in his basement due to the Corona virus i'm hearing a lot of talk about Cuomo.

I think the way he's handled things in NYS is decent even though i'm not a huge fan of him aside from that. Haven't been for a few years since he enacted some really dumb regulations in my home state.

I personally think he would be a way more competitive candidate than Biden. Way younger, has a lot of experience, not sure how he'd poll with minorities but i think being governor of a really diverse state like NY helps.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/04/andrew-cuomo-profile-coronavirus-new-york
Gold: 57.00
Apr 5 2020 07:21pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 5 Apr 2020 21:08)
As Biden is lost in his basement due to the Corona virus i'm hearing a lot of talk about Cuomo.

I think the way he's handled things in NYS is decent even though i'm not a huge fan of him aside from that. Haven't been for a few years since he enacted some really dumb regulations in my home state.

I personally think he would be a way more competitive candidate than Biden. Way younger, has a lot of experience, not sure how he'd poll with minorities but i think being governor of a really diverse state like NY helps.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/04/andrew-cuomo-profile-coronavirus-new-york

he’d be a way better candidate than Biden. has leadership experience a “top dog” too. far more likable than fredo as well
Apr 6 2020 06:28am
Quote (ofthevoid @ 6 Apr 2020 03:08)

A lot of people have been saying the same in recent days. The problem is how to transition the nomination. The DNC cant hold months-long primaries and then, in the end, after Biden secured the nomination, just say "aawww, nvm, we found someone better."

Biden's enthusiastic core supporters would go.... wait a second :rofl: :lol: ^_^ :evil:

Ok, but jokes aside: such a 'corrupt' and whimsical approach would cause Bernie's core supporters to turn away in disgust. I think that's the bigger problem than Biden's nonexistent base.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Apr 6 2020 06:30am
Gold: 285.00
Apr 6 2020 06:36am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 20 2020 04:32pm)
Afaik, pundits all agree on that one: nationwide voting by mail would be a big advantage for Democrats. There might be a few places where that's not true, but their impact is probably irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, because there would be more voters available, and the more people vote the more Republicans lose. That is why they have engaged in voter suppression for decades. Fucking duh.

Making it easier to vote is the opposite of their goals because they hate democracy and love plutocracy. They want law and order they don't give a shit about justice or morality. Parts of their platform have been that some people are subhuman for quite some time.
Apr 6 2020 06:52am
Quote (Skinned @ 6 Apr 2020 14:36)
Yes, because there would be more voters available, and the more people vote the more Republicans lose. That is why they have engaged in voter suppression for decades. Fucking duh.

Making it easier to vote is the opposite of their goals because they hate democracy and love plutocracy. They want law and order they don't give a shit about justice or morality. Parts of their platform have been that some people are subhuman for quite some time.

Making voting take less effort causes more low information voters to cast a ballot. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up for the philosophers to debate.

Same story with the restoration of felon voting rights: is it really the GOP's fault that blacks and hispanics are overrepresented among felons in the first place?

Apr 6 2020 07:16am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 6 2020 08:52am)
Making voting take less effort causes more low information voters to cast a ballot. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up for the philosophers to debate.

Same story with the restoration of felon voting rights: is it really the GOP's fault that blacks and hispanics are overrepresented among felons in the first place?

They know they can get free votes from the apathetic crowd by spoon feeding them. There was a time when people fought and died to be able to cast a vote now the democrats have to bribe and continually make false promises to get power.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Apr 6 2020 07:17am
Gold: 285.00
Apr 6 2020 07:20am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 6 2020 08:52am)

No, low information voters decided they hates Obamacare but loved Affordable Care Act and they came out in droves. You attempts of framing the conversation a certain way are noted.

Nobody is blaming the GOP for the disproportionate number of false positives in the criminal justice system for people of color. Most cases are plea bargained due to lack of legal representation, and people are being penalized on paper for things that had nothing to do with the original case. The GOP are blamed for being dumb enough to think that whites are just better than POC because they are targeted and persecuted less by police and criminal justice systems. Still plenty if dumb, poor whites being fed to the beast....plenty more dumb whites to keep the GOP winning elections though.

Felons voting is minuscule. If they're interested in voting then they care about their community, why discourage that sort of social investment anyways? Regardless of race.

Painting people who use mass transit and work hours that make voting difficult as low information is as slanderous as me calling the GOP the coalition of dumb whites :) we both have our opinions....im much more aware of my biases than you though...your posts are always so good but so lacking in reflexivity...you come so close a lot.

This post was edited by Skinned on Apr 6 2020 07:21am
Apr 6 2020 07:27am
Quote (Skinned @ Apr 6 2020 09:20am)
No, low information voters decided they hates Obamacare but loved Affordable Care Act and they came out in droves. You attempts of framing the conversation a certain way are noted.

Nobody is blaming the GOP for the disproportionate number of false positives in the criminal justice system for people of color. Most cases are plea bargained due to lack of legal representation, and people are being penalized on paper for things that had nothing to do with the original case. The GOP are blamed for being dumb enough to think that whites are just better than POC because they are targeted and persecuted less by police and criminal justice systems. Still plenty if dumb, poor whites being fed to the beast....plenty more dumb whites to keep the GOP winning elections though.

Felons voting is minuscule. If they're interested in voting then they care about their community, why discourage that sort of social investment anyways? Regardless of race.

Painting people who use mass transit and work hours that make voting difficult as low information is as slanderous as me calling the GOP the coalition of dumb whites :) we both have our opinions....im much more aware of my biases than you though...your posts are always so good but so lacking in reflexivity...you come so close a lot.

Voting booths are open until 9 pm in most states. In the inner city most voting centers are walking distance since they are based on your zip code. I live in the inner city, and my voting station is 300 yards from my house, 5 minute walk.

Like i get why you keep dramatizing the feats that people have to go through to vote but lol.
Apr 6 2020 07:44am
Quote (Skinned @ 6 Apr 2020 15:20)

Just a few points:

- Yes, the GOP activated a lot of low information whites against Obamacare. And it was nefarious. Nonetheless, there are still more nonwhite than white low information voters in the country.

- The number of false and right positives in the criminal justice system is disproportionate for people of color. Pretending like their overrepresentation is just the result of false positives/lack of legal representation/etc is disingenious. Note that the higher crime rates among POC can largely be explained by poverty and a lack of opportunity/privilege. Not entirely, but largely. So just to emphasize this: I'm not buying into the racist arguments that "niggaz gonna thug" or stuff like that. Their higher crime rates are still a fact, and unlike you, I dont ignore this fact just because it's inconvenient.

- Felons voting is not miniscule. With the Florida initiative to restore felong voting rights, up to 900k additional votes could become eligible according to the pundits. If just half of those 900k vote, and they break Democratic at a 2:1 margin, that would shift the statewide margin by 150k votes in the Democrats' favor. Trump's margin in 2016 was 120k votes.

- You're right about how the current system discriminates against people who have to use mass transit or have irregular work hours. That's a good point, this causes some people difficulties with voting, and I shouldnt hold those difficulties against them.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Apr 6 2020 07:47am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1202203204205Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll