d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > My First Steak
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 785.00
Dec 17 2018 03:15pm
Quote (Murresh @ Dec 17 2018 04:04pm)
Disagree imo.

Mind you saying that I am a chef by trade.

For best result imo unless you've got a sous vide i'd recommend doing the following;

Put the steak on a plate and season with salt on both sides, leave in room temp for as long as you can muster before cooking.

Pre heat a pan to piping hot, add oil and allow to get hot, then sear on one side roughly 2 minutes.
Flip, add butter, rosemary and a clove of garlic which you simply smash with the knife roughly and baste.

Allow to cook for another ~ 2-3 minutes and put aside on a plate to rest, after that simply cut it and season with some freshly ground black and white pepper.

All of this. But don't crush the garlic and don't worry about white pepper unless you have it
Gold: 397.00
Warn: 60%
Dec 17 2018 03:36pm
Quote (Murresh @ 17 Dec 2018 22:04)
Disagree imo.

Mind you saying that I am a chef by trade.

For best result imo unless you've got a sous vide i'd recommend doing the following;

Put the steak on a plate and season with salt on both sides, leave in room temp for as long as you can muster before cooking.

Pre heat a pan to piping hot, add oil and allow to get hot, then sear on one side roughly 2 minutes.
Flip, add butter, rosemary and a clove of garlic which you simply smash with the knife roughly and baste.

Allow to cook for another ~ 2-3 minutes and put aside on a plate to rest, after that simply cut it and season with some freshly ground black and white pepper.

You really recommend cooking steak sous vide? Is there really something to that?

Yes, forgot about room tempering the steak, or whatever meat one cooks. That is important.

Why and how would you cut it after it has rested?

Thanks for your advice, i dig it when pros share knowledge.
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Dec 17 2018 04:37pm
Quote (Taurean @ Dec 17 2018 10:36pm)
You really recommend cooking steak sous vide? Is there really something to that?

Yes, forgot about room tempering the steak, or whatever meat one cooks. That is important.

Why and how would you cut it after it has rested?

Thanks for your advice, i dig it when pros share knowledge.

Benefits with SV is that you cook it in it's own juices and when you have 80-90 on order it's a pain keeping track of what's what on the grill.
Also a good thing is for instance when cooking lamb, you simply add some olive oil, garlic, rosemary etc to the bag and it'll enhance the flavors even more.

Same goes for the amateur chef having issues nailing the temps and/or searing too hard on either side making it dry that way.
Once you go there I doubt you'll go back to panfrying until cooked. It'll make any home cook look like a rockstar without much effort at all.

I personally prefer a tilted cut in the centre unless it's beef tenderloin ofc, then it should come as a thick piece and nothing else, mainly due to the fact that I want to see the temp compared to "grey area" with the crispy sear on top/bottom.
Gold: 500.00
Dec 17 2018 05:37pm
Thx for the tips, gonna make a note of thid
Gold: 8,933.00
Dec 17 2018 06:06pm
Slow cooking is only viable in a wood smoker or indirect heat charcoal.

Indoors, you cook with nothing but cast iron. I disagree with getting the heat as high as you can. Charred meat takes away from the flavor. Warm up your iron before cooking on it (I use just over medium). Melt a healthy dose of butter. If you plan on sauteed onions and mushrooms (which are divine with a properly cooked steak), start them before the meat. Don't let anyone tell you not to flip it often. You can use one pan for both steak and the sauteed onions/mushrooms. Time per side is difficult to determine without knowing the original thickness of a cut of meat. Instead, I use a "springy/spongy" test on steak that doesn't require cutting it open to gauge its state of doneness. The softer the feel under poking the meat, the more rare it is. To be continued...
Gold: 1,930.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 17 2018 06:37pm
Quote (Santara @ Dec 17 2018 07:06pm)

Indoors, you cook with nothing but cast iron. I disagree with getting the heat as high as you can. Charred meat takes away from the flavor. Warm up your iron before cooking on it (I use just over medium). Melt a healthy dose of butter. If you plan on sauteed onions and mushrooms (which are divine with a properly cooked steak), start them before the meat. Don't let anyone tell you not to flip it often. You can use one pan for both steak and the sauteed onions/mushrooms. Time per side is difficult to determine without knowing the original thickness of a cut of meat. Instead, I use a "springy/spongy" test on steak that doesn't require cutting it open to gauge its state of doneness. The softer the feel under poking the meat, the more rare it is. To be continued...

WRONG
Banned
Gold: 69.73
Warn: 50%
Dec 17 2018 07:05pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Dec 16 2018 10:19pm)
think 7 minutes might've been too long as i think it's overcooked?
also the seasoning was uneven as i did a poor job with the salt/pepper spreading and had no idea when to add the garlic or how
think i should've shoved the fat/grease off to the side instead of letting it sit on the steak as it cooked?

it was surprisingly on par with some of the steaks i've had at cheaper restaurants which is saying a lot for a $4 piece of steak
https://i.imgur.com/fTiRKUl.jpg

Watch gordon ramsey how to make steak...

I use to overcook myt steak too, but rare steak does take better.

Gold: 397.00
Warn: 60%
Dec 17 2018 07:21pm
Quote (Victorinox1987 @ 18 Dec 2018 02:05)
Watch gordon ramsey how to make steak...

I use to overcook myt steak too, but rare steak does take better.

Better yet, watch the youtube poop version of that video.
Gold: 1.93
Dec 17 2018 07:23pm
3 mins each side, grill it.
Gold: 8,933.00
Dec 17 2018 07:30pm
Quote (CocainePuppy @ Dec 17 2018 06:37pm)
WRONG

George, do I come around lecturing you about cooking meth? No I don't.

Quote (Santara @ Dec 17 2018 06:06pm)

...the firmer the feel, the closer it is towards well done.

Baste that steak in the butter. Try not to cook past medium rare. Start chopped garlic about 2 minutes before you're done. Or use the other directions given for whole clove garlic.

Salt and pepper the meat before starting.
Go Back To General Chat Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll