d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > My First Steak
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 397.00
Warn: 60%
Dec 16 2018 11:54pm
Garlic = Leave whole in clove, don't peel it, then fry it in pan with butter. It will bake in it's own shell and become godly.

The steak i would probably eat if i was hungry. Good first try. Just fry on high heat on both sides, baste with the butter regularly with a spoon.

I think the best way to season it is to wait until it is cooked and resting. I was a bighorn steakhouse last saturday and i didn't taste any pepper on it, but i taste flake salt which was very nice. Was the best damn meal i had in a long time. I had entrecote/rib eye boneless, spiced butter (could order natural, garlic or herb i think), garlic baked potatoes, and bernaise which all three comes naturally with the dish. Ordered fried vegetables (red and yellow paprika, squash and aubergine), which i would not recommend again, not foul tasting, but quite tasteless. Creamed mushroom (the description made me nervous, yes ^^), was decent, but too much cream and not enough mushroom. Quite tasteless as well. I'd save money from side dishes and buy a dessert next time instead.

Rest it, always rest meat. Probably for as long as you fried it, 5 min frying = 5 min resting. When you heat something, you draw the moisture out of it, if you rest it, you allow the moisture to draw back into it. If you cut it into pieces right away it will remain dry and not get succulent.

Learn to press it to check firmness and rare/medium/well done consistency. Google it.

Quote (Chuu @ 17 Dec 2018 04:11)
Turn it into a liquid and inject the meat with it

Quote (hunter_1 @ 17 Dec 2018 04:11)
The trash

Lol hard ^^,,

"Inject the meat with it", Inject the garlic with the meat, or the meat with the garlic? ^^ Sounds funny either way!
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Dec 17 2018 12:57am
it don't look so healthy, man

This post was edited by the_rest on Dec 17 2018 12:57am
Gold: 193.94
Warn: 10%
Dec 17 2018 01:12am
Gz
Gold: 13.37
Dec 17 2018 09:29am
Lower heat, for a longer time...
Gold: 0.00
Dec 17 2018 09:36am
Quote (duffman316 @ Dec 16 2018 09:19pm)
think 7 minutes might've been too long as i think it's overcooked?
also the seasoning was uneven as i did a poor job with the salt/pepper spreading and had no idea when to add the garlic or how
think i should've shoved the fat/grease off to the side instead of letting it sit on the steak as it cooked?

it was surprisingly on par with some of the steaks i've had at cheaper restaurants which is saying a lot for a $4 piece of steak
https://i.imgur.com/fTiRKUl.jpg

Please refer to my steak thread in the culinary section :)
Gold: 0.00
Dec 17 2018 10:44am
Quote (Chuu @ Dec 16 2018 09:58pm)
C'mon that was 2 days ago I've learned since then
That's a thing of the past

Oh, no. That shit is going to follow you for a long time.
Gold: 1,930.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 17 2018 10:47am
Would be perfect if there was mushrooms
Gold: 785.00
Dec 17 2018 02:32pm
Not a bad first attempt. Seems like you used decently high heat which is a good sign.

For that cut i'd have done 3 mins each side, maybe even 3 then 2.

The trick with the garlic is to add it with about 1:30 min left, do NOT unwrap it from its papery skin, that will protect it from burning. You add garlic with a sprig or 2 of thyme and about 1/4 a stick of butter (yes, a lot). Then you tilt the pan so the three ingredients pool together in the corner of the pan, and you constantly baste the steak in the butter for that last minute or 2 using a spoon. If the garlic starts to burn, just spoon it on onto the steak and hit it with the butter which will gently cook the oil out. Feel the steak for doneness--you will learn this in practice.
When plated, spoon one spoonful of butter on the steak and then let it sit for 5-10 mins--throw the garlic butter and rosemary away now. Make your potatoes (which shouldve already been boiled while you made steak) and if desired, make mushrooms over medium high heat, adding the steak's juice at the very end.

This post was edited by Moralwarfare on Dec 17 2018 02:38pm
Gold: 785.00
Dec 17 2018 02:33pm
And dont forget whenever cooking steak get the pan SMOKING hot. Cast iron only, heat it on high for 5 mins then add oil and heat 3 mins then cook on high the whole time. Turn on fans and open the windows
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Dec 17 2018 03:04pm
Quote (Taurean @ Dec 17 2018 06:54am)
Garlic = Leave whole in clove, don't peel it, then fry it in pan with butter. It will bake in it's own shell and become godly.

The steak i would probably eat if i was hungry. Good first try. Just fry on high heat on both sides, baste with the butter regularly with a spoon.

I think the best way to season it is to wait until it is cooked and resting. I was a bighorn steakhouse last saturday and i didn't taste any pepper on it, but i taste flake salt which was very nice. Was the best damn meal i had in a long time. I had entrecote/rib eye boneless, spiced butter (could order natural, garlic or herb i think), garlic baked potatoes, and bernaise which all three comes naturally with the dish. Ordered fried vegetables (red and yellow paprika, squash and aubergine), which i would not recommend again, not foul tasting, but quite tasteless. Creamed mushroom (the description made me nervous, yes ^^), was decent, but too much cream and not enough mushroom. Quite tasteless as well. I'd save money from side dishes and buy a dessert next time instead.

Rest it, always rest meat. Probably for as long as you fried it, 5 min frying = 5 min resting. When you heat something, you draw the moisture out of it, if you rest it, you allow the moisture to draw back into it. If you cut it into pieces right away it will remain dry and not get succulent.

Learn to press it to check firmness and rare/medium/well done consistency. Google it.

Lol hard ^^,,

"Inject the meat with it", Inject the garlic with the meat, or the meat with the garlic? ^^ Sounds funny either way!

Disagree imo.

Mind you saying that I am a chef by trade.

For best result imo unless you've got a sous vide i'd recommend doing the following;

Put the steak on a plate and season with salt on both sides, leave in room temp for as long as you can muster before cooking.

Pre heat a pan to piping hot, add oil and allow to get hot, then sear on one side roughly 2 minutes.
Flip, add butter, rosemary and a clove of garlic which you simply smash with the knife roughly and baste.

Allow to cook for another ~ 2-3 minutes and put aside on a plate to rest, after that simply cut it and season with some freshly ground black and white pepper.
Go Back To General Chat Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll