d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Conservatives Moving To Impeach Rosenstein Soon
Prev12345614Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jul 14 2018 11:13am
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jul 14 2018 12:51pm)
Nope.

The only GOP Senators to really speak out against Trump are retiring or dying (Flake, Corker, McCain, etc).

Congress refused to pass legislation to protect the Special Counsel. They don't give a damn if Trump fires Mueller or Rosenstein. Sure, they might issue him some criticism for a few news cycles, but make no mistake, they are complicit in all of this.

The GOP Senate also refuses to defend their principles against Trump on issues such as tariffs. Bob Corker on the Senate being afraid of Trump: “‘We might poke the bear’ is the language I have been hearing in the hallways. The president might get upset with us as United States senators if we vote on the Corker amendment, so we’re going to do everything we can to block it.” Corker was referring to John Cornyn (R-Texas), Majority Whip of the Senate.

Maybe Collins (R-Maine) and Murkowski (R-Alaska) vote to remove Trump, but even that's doubtful. Maybe Romney once he takes over for Hatch (R-Utah). Maybe a conservative like Ben Sasse (R-Nebraska), who clearly does not like Trump but has shut up ever since Trump was elected. But there are not 67 votes in that chamber, even if Democrats get 52 of them. Not even close.

The GOP is the party of Trump.

yeah, your assessment on G.O.P. senators staying in line with Trump sounds reasonable and is probably accurate, but I still think it depends on what gets leaked out of the Mueller investigation if it knew it was getting the axe... I could see a few surprise establishment Senators turning on trump if they knew impeachment/him resigning was imminent.

McCain's calling for Trump to cancel his Putin summit apparently. (saw the headline didn't read the article)
Gold: 5,016.77
Jul 15 2018 11:49am
The chairman of the powerful House Oversight and Government Reform Committee said Sunday he doesn't support a push by conservative lawmakers to impeach Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

“No. For what? Impeach him for what. No,” Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) said on CBS's "Face the Nation."

“I've had my differences with Rod Rosenstein. I talk to him quite often privately, which again is a lot more constructive than the public hearings we have,” Gowdy said. “He's a Trump appointee. So is [Attorney General] Jeff Sessions. So is [FBI Director] Chris Wray. If President Trump is dissatisfied with Rod Rosenstein, he can fire him with a tweet.”

The deputy attorney general, who oversees special counsel Robert Mueller’s sprawling Russia probe and is a frequent target of the Trump’s ire, has been accused by House Republicans of dragging his feet in responding to requests for documents related to Mueller’s work.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/15/gowdy-rosenstein-impeachment-722237

Get fucked Freedom Caucus.
Gold: 10,655.00
Jul 15 2018 12:53pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jul 15 2018 01:49pm)

Wow., I read that a lot differently. I think politico wrote it a lot differently...

Gowdy says he won't support Rosenstein impeachment

POLITICO reported last week that House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.), Freedom Caucus founder Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) and other conservatives are launching a new effort to oust Rosenstein and are putting the finishing touches on an impeachment filing.

Gowdy said he's unsure there's enough support for that in the House.

“I'm not convinced there is a movement,” Gowdy said. “I read about it in POLITICO and sometimes their sources are better than mine. But I'm not part of that.”

Sounds a tad more, "Up in the air", than when you post it.
Gold: 2,620.00
Jul 15 2018 01:03pm
Quote (IceMage @ 15 Jul 2018 12:49)

Apparently Paul Ryan might have tried to block the measure, too.

Reason prevails this time. But if they aren't trying their damn hardest to undermine this investigation at every turn...
Jul 15 2018 01:07pm

I wonder WHY, Sessions recused himself?
Jul 15 2018 01:28pm
Quote (Ghot @ 15 Jul 2018 14:07)

To protect his own ass. Jeff Sessions has had the ambition of becoming the Attorney General of the United States for a long time. It's a very powerful position.

Sessions was facing enormous pressure to either recuse himself or resign, and much to Trump's dismay, he caved to that pressure.
Jul 15 2018 01:34pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jul 15 2018 03:28pm)
To protect his own ass. Jeff Sessions has had the ambition of becoming the Attorney General of the United States for a long time. It's a very powerful position.

Sessions was facing enormous pressure to either recuse himself or resign, and much to Trump's dismay, he caved to that pressure.

Or Sessions knew that if he did appoint the investigator and oversee the witch hunt, no one would believe he did a proper job, because he was a Trump supporter?
Jul 15 2018 01:59pm
Quote (Ghot @ 15 Jul 2018 14:34)
Or Sessions knew that if he did appoint the investigator and oversee the witch hunt, no one would believe he did a proper job, because he was a Trump supporter?

Basically. Sessions was Trump's first endorsement from a sitting US Senator and was active in the Trump campaign. There's obviously a conflict of interest, which is in part why he recused himself.

But Sessions also just really wanted to keep the job. Trump has publicly humiliated Sessions on many occasions. Sessions tolerates it because he really enjoys being the Attorney General of the US.
Gold: 5,016.77
Jul 15 2018 02:05pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jul 15 2018 01:53pm)
Wow., I read that a lot differently. I think politico wrote it a lot differently...

Gowdy says he won't support Rosenstein impeachment

Sounds a tad more, "Up in the air", than when you post it.

Quote (Ghot @ Jul 15 2018 02:07pm)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+did+sessions+recuse+himself
Jul 15 2018 02:12pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345614Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll