d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Cannabis
Prev13456768Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Jun 20 2018 08:28am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 20 2018 01:42am)
If we were to somehow quantify the cost of alcohol use on society it would be enormous. Between alcohol related deaths, illnesses, relationship breakdowns & a million other things it impacts, it's astronomical. I don't say this as an argument against it being legal but it's something to be aware of. I don't think weed is as bad as alcohol but like i said the long term cost or benefit to society in my opinion will be a negative, similarly to alcohol.

If it leads to a decline in consumption of alcohol, that would be a positive. Big If though. But still, how it impacts/costs society should be irrelevant, it should be based on principle/public opinion (which the majority of the public is in favor of marijuana/cannabis legalization).
Gold: 2,489.69
Jun 20 2018 08:31am
Quote (Horford @ Jun 20 2018 08:28am)
If it leads to a decline in consumption of alcohol, that would be a positive. Big If though. But still, how it impacts/costs society should be irrelevant, it should be based on principle/public opinion (which the majority of the public is in favor of marijuana/cannabis legalization).

not to mention if we're including things like "relationship breakdowns" in the Cons list we need to somehow quantify the effect as a social lubricant for the Pros column. Or how about the effect of functional alcoholics who drink 1-3 drinks per night after the days work is done. no hangover just a bit of relaxation.

these kinds of analyses are always fruitless, so i agree with a principled stance being preferable.
Gold: 19.00
Jun 20 2018 10:19am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 20 2018 12:14am)
I agree it’s sell on news type scenario.

Difference between Tesla and this hype train is Tesla markets itself as a tech company that will lead innovation.

I’m not against legalization but I’m skeptical how this will have a positive effect on society as a whole. New product to market which will lead to more people consuming this product and tbh I can’t say that this will be a net positive for society. This is coming from someone who used to smoke weed daily for a good 2-3 years a long time ago and who knows what being a stoner looks like and the life style they lead.

But not everybody who consumes any forms of cannabis are clasified as "stoners". Some people don't smoke at all. Other people use CBD products, etc.
That's kind of like saying everyone who has a beer is an alcoholic.
I can't see how this will be a major "negative" effect on society. This is long overdue, and the world should follow this, it's about time we throw all the garbage away about how the Cannabis plant is bad for people, now people are realizing how useful it is in the world of medicine, again this is not just "smoking weed".
Jun 20 2018 11:07am
Quote (Bassist @ Jun 20 2018 10:19am)
But not everybody who consumes any forms of cannabis are clasified as "stoners". Some people don't smoke at all. Other people use CBD products, etc.
That's kind of like saying everyone who has a beer is an alcoholic.
I can't see how this will be a major "negative" effect on society. This is long overdue, and the world should follow this, it's about time we throw all the garbage away about how the Cannabis plant is bad for people, now people are realizing how useful it is in the world of medicine, again this is not just "smoking weed".

that's not a valid comparison. polls show that most "frequent users" of any form of pot are daily or at least biweekly smokers.

pushing forward CBD and other forms of pot is a good idea to get legalization. but we need to be honest, most of us "smokers" are "stoners". maybe not 24-7, but most marijuana users smoke to get high.
Jun 20 2018 11:51am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 20 2018 12:07pm)
that's not a valid comparison. polls show that most "frequent users" of any form of pot are daily or at least biweekly smokers.

pushing forward CBD and other forms of pot is a good idea to get legalization. but we need to be honest, most of us "smokers" are "stoners". maybe not 24-7, but most marijuana users smoke to get high.

there's no doubting that, i don't like the word "Stoner". Because i feel that word has such a negative meaning, like the person is lazy and all they do is lay on the couch, watch tv and smoke weed all day.
i mean if you drink even to get a minor buzz, several times a week, are you an alcoholic?
Gold: 5,016.77
Jun 20 2018 11:53am
Quote (EA7 @ Jun 20 2018 08:21am)
If you need those things to have fun, you're a degenerate loser.

Jun 20 2018 11:54am
Quote (Bassist @ Jun 20 2018 11:51am)
there's no doubting that, i don't like the word "Stoner". Because i feel that word has such a negative meaning, like the person is lazy and all they do is lay on the couch, watch tv and smoke weed all day.

i dont like the label either. im a successful adult with a wife and nice house, car, etc. i smoke daily. helps me sleep and relax at the end of a long day.

i mean if you drink even to get a minor buzz, several times a week, are you an alcoholic?

according to some people yes, but i see what you mean.

Quote (IceMage @ Jun 20 2018 11:53am)

Knowing EA7 he'e the type to oversnort H and almost die.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jun 20 2018 11:55am
Gold: 11,571.00
Jun 20 2018 11:57am
Quote (Bassist @ Jun 20 2018 10:51am)

There’s varying degrees of what the impact of being a regular user looks like. At the time I worked part time and was in college. Looking back though I’m certain that smoking weed made me less ambitious and more comfortable in mediocrity. My grades weren’t as good as they could’ve been, I could’ve pushed for a better job, etc, the money I spent on weed or doing nothing productive when I was high could’ve of easily been spent on something useful.

I’m not saying it impacts everyone the same or that you can’t be productive but from experience and having seen a lot of my friends go through this not many can say that smoking weed has had a positive effect in their life

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jun 20 2018 11:58am
Jun 20 2018 11:59am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jun 20 2018 12:57pm)
There’s varying degrees of what the impact of being a regular user looks like. At the time I worked part time and was in college. Looking back though I’m certain that smoking weed made me less ambitious and more comfortable in mediocrity. My grades weren’t as good as they could’ve been, I could’ve pushed for a better job, etc, the money I spent on weed or doing nothing productive when I was high could’ve of easily been spent on something useful.

Well that's exactly why i don't like the word stoner
Some people think if you smoke weed, even daily, every other day... whatever it may be, you're automatically this stoner who does nothing with their life
Is that true for some people? Of course. I just hate the label, that's all.
Gold: 260.11
Jun 20 2018 11:59am
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 20 2018 11:54am)
i dont like the label either. im a successful adult with a wife and nice house, car, etc. i smoke daily. helps me sleep and relax at the end of a long day..

I always took Stoner to mean that you build a part of your identity around the fact that you smoke weed
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456768Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll