d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > John Sirmons -- AMA And Advice Thread > Competitive Powerlifter / Personal Trainer
Prev1151617181921Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 40.00
Jan 13 2014 02:20pm
Quote (MrBobMarley @ Jan 13 2014 03:24pm)
March 15th there is this powerlifting competition i'm thinking of entering

It's  UPA/UPA-AD MI State Powerlifting Champsionship.

Any idea of what that consists of? (the UPA stuff)

Also, its March 15th, and I was planning on starting my cut mid Feb.

Any advice on doing a PL meet 1 month into a cut? I really just want to do it for the experience and have fun. no need to break all my PR's, though it would be nice.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 355.06
Trader: Trusted
Jan 19 2014 08:34pm
Quote (MrBobMarley @ Jan 13 2014 11:24am)
March 15th there is this powerlifting competition i'm thinking of entering

It's  UPA/UPA-AD MI State Powerlifting Champsionship.

Any idea of what that consists of? (the UPA stuff)

What do you mean?
Quote (MrBobMarley @ Jan 13 2014 04:20pm)
Also, its March 15th, and I was planning on starting my cut mid Feb.

Any advice on doing a PL meet 1 month into a cut? I really just want to do it for the experience and have fun. no need to break all my PR's, though it would be nice.

If you don't want to break a PR theres no point in doing one TBH. I wouldn't bother cutting weight either, stay where you are the strongest and compete there. Your leverages can and will change and so any strength you had will be gone or very different.
Have you ever done a meet before?
Gold: 38,115.35
Jan 21 2014 09:57am
What are some good exercises for increasing shoulder flexibility? And how much should I do each day etc.

I've been holding a belt with straight arms and rolling my shoulders from the front to the back about 4-5 days each week for over a month.

I need more flexibility to perform the snatch properly.
Gold: 4.20
Jan 21 2014 12:26pm
Hope this hasn't been answered:

Since you are a personal trainer. Where do you see the job field heading? What specialties do you feel are most important in terms of getting hired and being beneficial towards acquiring clients? I'm wanting to maybe acquire a specialty but unsure what I want to choose. Until this point I've dabbled in everything.
Retired Moderator
Feb 1 2014 01:50pm
Quote (bugeyewagon @ Jan 21 2014 02:26pm)
Hope this hasn't been answered:

Since you are a personal trainer. Where do you see the job field heading? What specialties do you feel are most important in terms of getting hired and being beneficial towards acquiring clients? I'm wanting to maybe acquire a specialty but unsure what I want to choose. Until this point I've dabbled in everything.

People will always be fat and want to lose the fat. There will always be athletes who want to be faster, stronger and bigger.

Specialties, anything you have a passion for, that will net you more clients than anything else. that and being able to close a sale.
Retired Moderator
Feb 1 2014 01:51pm
Quote (Dragon_Reborn @ Jan 21 2014 11:57am)
What are some good exercises for increasing shoulder flexibility? And how much should I do each day etc.

I've been holding a belt with straight arms and rolling my shoulders from the front to the back about 4-5 days each week for over a month.

I need more flexibility to perform the snatch properly.

Do that but with a broom stick. 3x a week 3 sets of 20, that and just preforming the snatch more, vary your grip on the snatch, too.
Gold: 2,945.50
Mar 4 2014 05:03pm
Have you (or a client etc) ever experienced any injury in the lateral malleolus area whilst performing dorsiflexion?
If so, any tips on how to rehab it?
Retired Moderator
Mar 14 2014 11:35am
Quote (PlaaD @ Mar 4 2014 07:03pm)
Have you (or a client etc) ever experienced any injury in the lateral malleolus area whilst performing dorsiflexion?
If so, any tips on how to rehab it?

I havn't had anyone. Not sure how you would rehab that I'd suggest going to the DR if it's that bad. Feet are one of the few parts of my body I dont fuck around with because I've had mine hurt so much.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 23 2014 11:00am
Its been 2 years since my herniated disc and it hasnt fully recovered. What is your suggestions for exercises to replace deadlifts squats and legpreses? I love those exercises but my lower back cannot do em. (l4 l5 herniation). Upper body stuff works fine, i just cant do standing military press or carry heavy dumbells (have to look like a retard kick weights around). What is your suggestion? Thanks in advance ^^
Gold: 6.91
Apr 15 2014 04:26pm
Hey, John. I figured I would come to you, as I trust your opinion and knowledge more than anyone else in this sub.

Back in September, I suffered a lateral meniscus tear at work. Half my meniscus in my left knee is now gone, as I had surgery to remove it. I'm starting m\back in the gym after being out for over a year come Monday. I want to squat. I've been doing some reading up on knee sleeves and wraps, and it seems that the best option for post-injury is wrapping. By no means am I planning on ever being a powerlifter, or posting huge numbers. I just want to lift like I did before, especially squats. I'm sure my best option starting out, as far as range of motion, is to hit the leg press and work my way up, but I want to know if you feel wrapping, even though I'm a lightweight, is the best option to get me squatting again. If so, maybe you could recommend a brand that would probably best suit my needs. Any other information you can provide would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev1151617181921Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll