d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > John Sirmons -- AMA And Advice Thread > Competitive Powerlifter / Personal Trainer
12321Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 355.06
Trader: Trusted
May 25 2013 10:25am
I'm about over due to make one of these. As the title implies, post here for advice or whatever.
Most of you know me from being one of the original H&F members, for those of you who don't a little background information.

I am formerly ISSA certified and a competitive power lifter, at the time of this post my next meet will be around August of 2013.

I train using the westside method but have dabbled with a lot of other strength programs. I use to body build and was trained by an IFBB pro, and a top NPC body builder.
Bodybuilding quickly stopped being fun to me, and I wanted to become strong. I met one of my best friends at a gym(Shane) as of this post he is #2 at Westside and very soon will be #1 at westside and in the world. He took me under his wing and taught me a ton; both about lifting and in life.

My best meet lifts are 640/350/567. My best gym lifts are 675/425/585(last pure max, or 495 for 8 or 9 with a few left in the tank). For those who don't know, that is Squat/Bench/Deadlift.
I'm about 5'9'' or 5'10'' and around 220 pounds.

I can and do train people, but will give free advice in this thread, donations are welcomed and obviously not required.
Please be respectful in this thread.

Ask away!
Gold: 0.05
Warn: 60%
May 25 2013 11:10am
i weigh almost 105 kg, i wanna be able to do more pullups

tipz?
Gold: 0.01
Warn: 10%
May 25 2013 11:16am
What are some of your favorite exercises for building raw strength that directly relates to sprinting and explosive strength?
Gold: 0.50
Warn: 20%
May 25 2013 11:20am
What is your current westside template?
Gold: 3,804.50
May 25 2013 11:44am
how many years have you been doing it for?

what lifting-related injuries have you had? were they your fault (eg: bad form, overworked, etc) or were they unpreventable?

knowing what you know now, knowing how much time and hard work it took, knowing the rewards, would you recommend powerlifting to a normal person? at what age is it too late to start weight lifting? 30, 40, 50, etc
May 25 2013 11:53am
Do you want to come hangout with me down in Tampa?
Gold: 53.50
May 25 2013 11:54am
I have a ton of questions! It would be awesome if we can talk more in depth whether it is here or on Facebook (you live in Valdosta right?).
A little about myself first; I am asian and an ectomorph. I also have pectus excavatum but it is not bothersome to me though I would like to reduce the concavity through exercise (testing to serif exercise would reduce in the long run). My body type and ideal would be of someone like byung-hun lee (Storm Shadow) of G.I Joe.

What I want to do is be able to train people. Training people to me is a side hobby I would say, something I like to do and wouldn't mind it being a career although I am very hesitant on having it as my main career as I do not know if I can live off of it as well as I would like.

There is a certain way I want to train people, and I would like to give you all of my opinions and how and would simply like an input(s). Right now I am about to head to work so I will explain later tonight if you don't mind.

This post was edited by RecenT on May 25 2013 11:55am
Gold: 8.25
Warn: 10%
May 25 2013 12:40pm
Do you lift?
Retired Moderator
Gold: 355.06
Trader: Trusted
May 25 2013 02:42pm
Quote (Ladsy @ May 25 2013 01:10pm)
i weigh almost 105 kg, i wanna be able to do more pullups

tipz?

Shit head answer. Lose weight and get stronger

Actual advice, well that depends. Military people who want to be good specifically at pull ups would get different advice, so tell me if you want to be good at JUST pull ups, or better at pull ups in general.

Quote (Diamondbacks @ May 25 2013 01:16pm)
What are some of your favorite exercises for building raw strength that directly relates to sprinting and explosive strength?

Anything with bands or chains will help, ESPECIALLY bands because they are actively pulling against you.
For specific exercises box squats will help you tremendously, so will jumping on boxes(hold dumbbells or weight vest)

You basically want to train for power, so any variation of squats, good mornings dead lifts etc. They all complement each other, and will have a carry over. You'll want to do them heavy so you get stronger and that will translate into you being faster and having better explosive strength. I'll say it again, get some bands and chains and you'll love them. I can not put it into words how explosive they will make you.

I'd recommend you look into speed work that Westside does as that helps build explosiveness, then apply it to your training. When you have a general grasp of it come back and I'll clear up any confusing parts.

Quote (xGeArz @ May 25 2013 01:20pm)
What is your current westside template?

Westiside is a conjugate system, so there is no set template. I just finished a wave and I am starting a new one.

On ME days (M/W) we do a squat or bench varation, and I decide on which I need to do at the gym. My personal weakness for lower body is hams, so I do a lot of good mornings. For bench, tris are weak on me, so I try to do something that hits tris extra hard.

F/S is DE. I had a hurt foot so I didnt do them yesturday, but todays workout was this
Balastic bench with dumb bells hanging about 1.5 feet, 9x3
drop weight, keep the DBs hanging 3x10
Rolling tri kick backs 5x15
1 arm DB row 3x20
tri push down 5x20
Hammer curls 3x10
Rear delt flys 1x15 2x10
Band pull aparts 3x25
Heavy side bends 3x10

Every 3 weeks I completely change accessories, except a couple because I 1. Have limited machines, BUT I do change my rep ranges and weight.
May 25 2013 02:44pm
Quote (7_Deadly_Sins @ 25 May 2013 15:42)
Shit head answer. Lose weight and get stronger

Actual advice, well that depends. Military people who want to be good specifically at pull ups would get different advice, so tell me if you want to be good at JUST pull ups, or better at pull ups in general.

Anything with bands or chains will help, ESPECIALLY bands because they are actively pulling against you.
For specific exercises box squats will help you tremendously, so will jumping on boxes(hold dumbbells or weight vest)

You basically want to train for power, so any variation of squats, good mornings dead lifts etc. They all complement each other, and will have a carry over. You'll want to do them heavy so you get stronger and that will translate into you being faster and having better explosive strength. I'll say it again, get some bands and chains and you'll love them. I can not put it into words how explosive they will make you.

I'd recommend you look into speed work that Westside does as that helps build explosiveness, then apply it to your training. When you have a general grasp of it come back and I'll clear up any confusing parts.

Westiside is a conjugate system, so there is no set template. I just finished a wave and I am starting a new one.

On ME days (M/W) we do a squat or bench varation, and I decide on which I need to do at the gym. My personal weakness for lower body is hams, so I do a lot of good mornings. For bench, tris are weak on me, so I try to do something that hits tris extra hard.

F/S is DE. I had a hurt foot so I didnt do them yesturday, but todays workout was this
Balastic bench with dumb bells hanging about 1.5 feet, 9x3
drop weight, keep the DBs hanging 3x10
Rolling tri kick backs 5x15
1 arm DB row 3x20
tri push down 5x20
Hammer curls 3x10
Rear delt flys 1x15 2x10
Band pull aparts 3x25
Heavy side bends 3x10

Every 3 weeks I completely change accessories, except a couple because I 1. Have limited machines, BUT I do change my rep ranges and weight.

Bro, why you ignoring me?
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
12321Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll