d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Inflation Is Transitory
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,453.85
Mar 8 2024 10:58am
Quote (Crunkt @ Mar 8 2024 08:52am)
The failure to mention the price of many inelastic goods has gone up is what these fuckers on tv dont seem to understand is killing us

I think they do understand. They just don't care. With their salaries, they can still afford $6 for milk. These people don't care about the struggles of the ordinary people.

This post was edited by JessiWan on Mar 8 2024 11:02am
Gold: 4,575.01
Warn: 10%
Mar 8 2024 11:11am
Quote (JessiWan @ Mar 8 2024 08:58am)
I think they do understand. They just don't care. With their salaries, they can still afford $6 for milk. These people don't care about the struggles of the ordinary people.

Not even salaries, these people live completely off their assets and investments, usually which were not built by their own labour, they don't work at all. It's entirely understandable how revolutions happen when the people refuse to tolerate them anymore

This post was edited by El1te on Mar 8 2024 11:11am
Gold: 4,575.01
Mar 8 2024 11:12am
Quote (Crunkt @ Mar 8 2024 08:52am)
this is what economists dont seem to understand

I was watching a thingy the other day and this economist was talking about how "well inflation is down now so people need to recognize that" like, dude. The damage is done. Milk was 4 dollars for 4 liters 3 years ago now its 6 dollars for 4 liters. My pay didnt go up 50% over the lats 3 years. The failure to mention the price of many inelastic goods has gone up is what these fuckers on tv dont seem to understand is killing us

They do understand, they are just lying, because the status quo favours them. The non-working asset laptop class benefits from inflation.
Gold: 1,453.85
Mar 8 2024 11:21am
Quote (El1te @ Mar 8 2024 09:11am)
Not even salaries, these people live completely off their assets and investments, usually which were not built by their own labour, they don't work at all. It's entirely understandable how revolutions happen when the people refuse to tolerate them anymore

You raised a good point.

And incidentally, this is why I think Nazis had some good ideas. I believe they banned unearned income. This is what I would do if I had the power. Everybody should work in order to earn a living. Otherwise, they are simply a parasite living off of other people's labor and hard work. The only people who don't have to work are children, the retired, and the disabled.
Gold: 5.00
Mar 8 2024 11:57am
Quote (El1te @ Mar 8 2024 11:11am)

This is spot on. And living that way generally means you are being taxed less. Obama ushered in 0 percent capital gains tax bracket for example. Even the better retirement setups don't get down to 0.

This post was edited by RedFromWinter on Mar 8 2024 11:57am
Gold: 1.00
Mar 8 2024 12:41pm
Quote (RedFromWinter @ Mar 8 2024 10:57am)
This is spot on. And living that way generally means you are being taxed less. Obama ushered in 0 percent capital gains tax bracket for example. Even the better retirement setups don't get down to 0.

Canada has significantly cracked down on this in the past 10 years. For instance if you try to defer taxation by using a corp to hold your investments, equities for example it's taxed at the highest rate which is a staggering 50%. This prevents infinitely tax deferring and never removing it from your corp to your person's

We also implemented TOSI and put significant work into bolstering GAAR which is our general anti avoidance rules.

The problem is there's still so many ultra wealthy offshoring their money in tax havens and CRA does not have the talent or manpower to actually enforce GAAR.

This will ultimately always be the case in Canada if salaries remain unchanged. What talented individual goes and works for 100-150k. If you have talent in the areas of taxation you go charge out at close to $1,000 to 1,875 per hour. People don't want to face that reality but if you're sitting there making sub 300k the fact is you're just not in a talent pool that warrants paying you that much yet and that's every government worker in Canada. They chose work life balance, how are those people supposed to keep up intellectualy with those in the private world even with some use of external consultancies. Even if there's someone bright by chance there's 6 more better paid harder working ones working against that person on the other side of the fence finding a way to circumnavigate new rules.

This post was edited by SBD on Mar 8 2024 12:46pm
Gold: 14,569.69
Mar 8 2024 01:04pm
Quote (JessiWan @ Mar 7 2024 08:16am)
I always feel that the presence of inflation shows that the kind of money we use is bad. Why can't we have a currency that doesn't lose its purchasing power as time goes on? Why do we tolerate inflation at all?

Do you not understand? LOL wow

would be nice if they went back to adding food and gas into the overall inflation numbers. but they won’t because that makes the government look bad way too many distracting conversations can be created this way

This post was edited by theCrossbones on Mar 8 2024 01:11pm
Gold: 14,569.69
Mar 8 2024 01:10pm
Quote (theCrossbones @ Mar 8 2024 11:04am)
Do you not understand? LOL wow

😫 double
This post was edited by theCrossbones on Mar 8 2024 01:11pm
Gold: 1,281.69
Mar 8 2024 11:15pm
Quote (JessiWan @ Mar 8 2024 02:16am)
I always feel that the presence of inflation shows that the kind of money we use is bad. Why can't we have a currency that doesn't lose its purchasing power as time goes on? Why do we tolerate inflation at all?

Some small amount of inflation is arguably a good thing though, since it encourages spending and investment

You can blame low levels of financial literacy for people using fiat currencies to store value

This post was edited by Condemn on Mar 8 2024 11:24pm
Gold: 5.00
Mar 9 2024 12:57am
Quote (SBD @ Mar 8 2024 12:41pm)
Canada has significantly cracked down on this in the past 10 years. For instance if you try to defer taxation by using a corp to hold your investments, equities for example it's taxed at the highest rate which is a staggering 50%. This prevents infinitely tax deferring and never removing it from your corp to your person's

We also implemented TOSI and put significant work into bolstering GAAR which is our general anti avoidance rules.

The problem is there's still so many ultra wealthy offshoring their money in tax havens and CRA does not have the talent or manpower to actually enforce GAAR.

This will ultimately always be the case in Canada if salaries remain unchanged. What talented individual goes and works for 100-150k. If you have talent in the areas of taxation you go charge out at close to $1,000 to 1,875 per hour. People don't want to face that reality but if you're sitting there making sub 300k the fact is you're just not in a talent pool that warrants paying you that much yet and that's every government worker in Canada. They chose work life balance, how are those people supposed to keep up intellectualy with those in the private world even with some use of external consultancies. Even if there's someone bright by chance there's 6 more better paid harder working ones working against that person on the other side of the fence finding a way to circumnavigate new rules.

Not sure I followed your last paragraph. Are you saying gov workers meant to thwart abusive tax avoidance under GAAR can't keep up because salaries are not lucrative to compete with private sector workers loopholing the rules?

Is the CRA manpower assertion really a issue? Surely some entry level programmer could write audit scripts over transactional ledger. Maybe the underlying system/data is bad? If not, CRA can hit me up and I'll write you some for say 200k :) or some perm 08s

This post was edited by RedFromWinter on Mar 9 2024 12:58am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll