d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Right To Disconnect
Prev134567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.93
Feb 20 2024 08:44pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Feb 21 2024 01:40pm)
General question, as I'm not the most informed regarding Australia: When employers require that you be available to take phone calls and remote in from home, are they providing the employees the phone, phone service, computer/tablet, and internet connection to do so?

Generally, no.
When i was on call i was paid $80 every time i answered the phone and it was a company phone, you will find most companies that are getting complaints are calling people on their personal phone and getting them to talk someone through complex issues outside work hours for free.

Quote (ofthevoid @ Feb 20 2024 03:45pm)
Work life balance is important. It sucks that to get ahead and get into more senior positions it’s pretty much expected that you will have a shit work life balance. I’m at the point in my life where I have to make that decision. I’m not sure a 30k raise is worth it to have less time with my kids and wife. There’s also the law of diminishing returns after you make a certain amount that satisfies your needs and you can live in comfort by your standards.

I think it really depends on what type of job you have/how senior you are/pay rate etc. Some jobs or promotions you probably don’t take if you want to keep your week at 40 hours.

It sucks if you’re in junior/low skill jobs and employers try to do this kind of stuff though. I do think some employers abuse this and it’s not fair because undoubtedly there will be people that are stuck in life and absolutely do not have other options and need that paycheck so they get taken advantage of.

I can not tell you what decision will work best for you but i can tell you after i retired my wife decided to cut her hours back by 12 per week instead of working more hours and trying to keep ladder climbing and not only is she much happier on her 32 hour week salary, our relationship improved massively and in our 17 years together we have never been closer.

This post was edited by Plaguefear on Feb 20 2024 08:45pm
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 20 2024 08:44pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Feb 20 2024 07:40pm)
General question, as I'm not the most informed regarding Australia: When employers require that you be available to take phone calls and remote in from home, are they providing the employees the phone, phone service, computer/tablet, and internet connection to do so?

I can recall an employee claiming the allowance for meals if you work over 10 hours which you do every single day including weekends in busy season and it's I your contract that you can.

I legitimately thought that the partners we're going to erase that employees existence from earth when they tried to claim it for the 8 dollar subway sandwich they bought.

My worry is that even with legislation favourable to employees you worry about retaliation and so you're going to be one of those employees that say yes you can still call me I'll be the slave please give me my 5k raise.

Just like the guy who claimed that one meal. Sure he got his 8 bucks back but I guarantee it just prevented his next ad hoc raise.

Good luck proving its retaliation too.

This post was edited by SBD on Feb 20 2024 08:46pm
Feb 20 2024 08:47pm
Quote (SBD @ Feb 21 2024 01:44pm)
I can recall an employee claiming the allowance for meals if you work over 10 hours which you do every single day including weekends in busy season and it's I your contract that you can.

I legitimately thought that the partners we're going to erase that employees existence from earth when they tried to claim it for the 8 dollar subway sandwich they bought.

My worry is that even with legislation favourable to employees you worry about retaliation and so you're going to be one of those employees that say yes you can still call me I'll be the slave please give me my 5k raise.

Just like the guy who claimed that one meal. Sure he got his 8 bucks back but I guarantee it just prevented his next ad hoc raise.

Most of the people being exploited are in job roles where they are only getting raises from cpi based on an enterprise bargaining agreement or minimum wage increases, they may be overlooked for promotion but those promotions are traps, once they get you on salary they own you.
Feb 20 2024 08:50pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Feb 20 2024 07:47pm)
Most of the people being exploited are in job roles where they are only getting raises from cpi based on an enterprise bargaining agreement or minimum wage increases, they may be overlooked for promotion but those promotions are traps, once they get you on salary they own you.

I don't think that's entirely true, I think the finance and accounting industry is rampant with exploit and its absolutely common in that world to just hand ad hoc raises. Favourable relationships with the partner and associates is everything. They're going to favour the slaves.

And you're not going to not be a slave because you know it will be frowned upon.

And I think if we're being honest. For every one ambitious person in government there's 5 much smarter individuals working privetly to circumvent new rules.

I look at taxation. The second there's a new unfavourable tax law getting to be ready to be passed in the house of Commons there's dozens of lawyers and hundreds of tax accountants looking at how to avoid or exploit it.

I'm not saying it's not a good first step. I'm just saying it's no home run. Progress is progress though.

This post was edited by SBD on Feb 20 2024 08:57pm
Feb 20 2024 08:58pm
Quote (SBD @ Feb 21 2024 01:50pm)
I don't think that's entirely true, I think the finance and accounting industry is rampant with exploit and its absolutely common in that world to just hand ad hoc raises. Favourable relationships with the partner and associates is everything. They're going to favour the slaves.

And you're not going to not be a slave because you know it will be frowned upon.

Ah true, probably also true in tech sections, i can only really comment from my experience in retail and executive roles, when i was mining you would get a call asking where something was or how to start something but it was never egregious.
Feb 20 2024 09:01pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Feb 20 2024 07:58pm)
Ah true, probably also true in tech sections, i can only really comment from my experience in retail and executive roles, when i was mining you would get a call asking where something was or how to start something but it was never egregious.

It's a good first step and now there just needs to be actual and meaningful enforcement and a way to try to prevent it being punitive to those who do want to disconnect but absolutely perform well during their regular work hours.

Hopefully we get there.
Gold: 6,376.70
Feb 20 2024 09:06pm
Quote (SBD @ 20 Feb 2024 20:01)
It's a good first step and now there just needs to be actual and meaningful enforcement and a way to try to prevent it being punitive to those who do want to disconnect but absolutely perform well during their regular work hours.

Hopefully we get there.

There is still the real point YeeHaw was making though.

If an employee doesn't care, they WANT to work more hours and gain greater training and take less pay and "be owned" by the company, who are you to say no?

At it's heart, employment terms are a negotiated factor. If you start saying that certain terms are unacceptable by law, you may not merely be harming the employer, but the employee as well.

I don't have interest working 100 hours a week. I prefer having time to focus on my own home, and improving the lives of myself and my wife. The more time I dedicate to making someone else a profit, the less time I have to focus on what really matters. Flipside, there are certainly 18-25 year olds who're single, living in a shoebox-sized apartment with 3 roommates. That person may actively WANT to work 100 hours a week. The extra training, experience, and facetime will all help them push up the ladder at a higher rate, and they aren't in a position where "off time" is particularly beneficial to them. Should they be barred from doing what they want to do, simply because we don't think that's what they should do?
Feb 20 2024 09:11pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Feb 20 2024 08:06pm)

If an employee doesn't care, they WANT to work more hours and gain greater training and take less pay and "be owned" by the company, who are you to say no?

At it's heart, employment terms are a negotiated factor. If you start saying that certain terms are unacceptable by law, you may not merely be harming the employer, but the employee as well.

I don't have interest working 100 hours a week. I prefer having time to focus on my own home, and improving the lives of myself and my wife. The more time I dedicate to making someone else a profit, the less time I have to focus on what really matters. Flipside, there are certainly 18-25 year olds who're single, living in a shoebox-sized apartment with 3 roommates. That person may actively WANT to work 100 hours a week. The extra training, experience, and facetime will all help them push up the ladder at a higher rate, and they aren't in a position where "off time" is particularly beneficial to them. Should they be barred from doing what they want to do, simply because we don't think that's what they should do?

But I think if you look at it as a whole, there's not choice. There's major employers and everyone has to work or you can starve and not have a roof over your head. It's not a choice to want to eat and have shelter and since there's limited major employers you're often going to be subjected to those exploits and it's not exactly negotiable.

It's not there's millions and millions of vacant job positions where people can just go to a different employer that respects your rights or is open to negotiating. We can all list some but you have to think as a whole or an entier countries job market.

And with the rise in cost of virtually everything especially rents in some countries, take Canada for instance. There's not much choice happening. Think the average person is feeling like they're between a rock and a hard place right now.

This post was edited by SBD on Feb 20 2024 09:13pm
Feb 20 2024 09:22pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Feb 21 2024 02:06pm)

Nothing stops them from doing this.
Gold: 6,376.70
Feb 20 2024 09:33pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ 20 Feb 2024 20:22)
Nothing stops them from doing this.

That was mostly in regards to the talk of enforcement. It's fine to have a law that says "schedule for your needs, employees have a right to disconnect and you can't take action against them for it." Where it gets tetchy is when you start talking about imposing enforcement of such a law, and determining that rather than taking things case by case, it's easier just to fine every employer who contacts employees off hours without express consent, for instance.

Does that make sense?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev134567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll