d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Right To Disconnect
Prev14567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Gold: 500.00
Feb 20 2024 11:01pm
Quote (SBD @ Feb 20 2024 09:39pm)
I can't recall now but wasn't Ontario implementing something similar to this. I haven't seen it I the news in a long time, but I do recall something.

Without digging deep into it I think its very unlikely the pcs would pass any legislation that would benefit workers at the expense of businesses, and this includes extended bereavement leave beyond the current 2 day minimum

Feb 21 2024 08:57am
Quote (duffman316 @ Feb 20 2024 10:01pm)
Without digging deep into it I think its very unlikely the pcs would pass any legislation that would benefit workers at the expense of businesses, and this includes extended bereavement leave beyond the current 2 day minimum

https://www.ontario.ca/document/your-guide-employment-standards-act-0/written-policy-disconnecting-from-work

It was this, which is pretty light, and looks like it amounts to almost nothing.
Gold: 1.03
Feb 23 2024 06:19pm
Quote (obisent @ Feb 19 2024 09:37pm)
Welcome back.

hey bud and thanks :)

Quote (YeeHaw @ Feb 20 2024 07:11am)
But I believe you do owe them something, and they are doing you a favor by employing you. You go to an employer and say to them you will exchange your time for currency. They choose you out of several candidates for the position. They have build up themselves enough to offer complete strangers jobs. You should be grateful.

You are also pretending like a salaried position means 40 hours. Salary is your employer saying they will guaranfuckingtee you a decent paycheck, no matter if you call out sick or you work extra. Guaranteed money. But if they need you to put in a little extra, you’d better fucking do it.

Sorry but anything outside the realm of your employer is taking care of you so put in a little extra hard work is telling of the most privileged society in the history of existence. There are very few exceptions where somebody is irreplaceable. If you act like everybody should be kissing your ass for doing the minimum, or for even doing a decent job, fuck you. You are paid to do well. Not to do the minimum requirements of your job and bitch every fucking time you have to man up and help your team.

Not sure what industry you work in but most employment is "at-will" so employers aren't really taking a risk by hiring people. If someone sucks then they just lay them off and its a done deal. They aren't giving anyone a handout bud. If people don't produce X amount of output, then they will get dinged on their performance review and then sooner or later that will start the process for termination. Finance + tech industries consistently work 60+ hours and not to mention they can get paged anytime to hop on to help resolve issues. They need your expertise and they are compensating you for those expertise. Most of the time, the employment deal will be skewed towards the employer. No one where I work performs at the "minimum". Generally, I see people clock in at 7:30AM and clock out at 7:30PM. 5 * 12 -> 60 hours a week so its not a "little" extra work. Its 50% more than what was initially advertised. Again, not anti-business but just saying that this is a two-way street and they aren't doing you a favor by employing you. Just look at the recently massive layoffs, records profits but consistent layoffs to reduce workforce size to promote efficiency. I don't know what to tell you at this point though.

This post was edited by umeshieee on Feb 23 2024 06:20pm
Gold: 0.00
Feb 23 2024 06:58pm
Quote (umeshieee @ Feb 23 2024 06:19pm)
hey bud and thanks :)

Not sure what industry you work in but most employment is "at-will" so employers aren't really taking a risk by hiring people. If someone sucks then they just lay them off and its a done deal. They aren't giving anyone a handout bud. If people don't produce X amount of output, then they will get dinged on their performance review and then sooner or later that will start the process for termination. Finance + tech industries consistently work 60+ hours and not to mention they can get paged anytime to hop on to help resolve issues. They need your expertise and they are compensating you for those expertise. Most of the time, the employment deal will be skewed towards the employer. No one where I work performs at the "minimum". Generally, I see people clock in at 7:30AM and clock out at 7:30PM. 5 * 12 -> 60 hours a week so its not a "little" extra work. Its 50% more than what was initially advertised. Again, not anti-business but just saying that this is a two-way street and they aren't doing you a favor by employing you. Just look at the recently massive layoffs, records profits but consistent layoffs to reduce workforce size to promote efficiency. I don't know what to tell you at this point though.

You don’t think so but you are kind of proving my point, bud.

Assuming employers can just get rid of somebody whenever they please (untrue and it is actually quite difficult to fire somebody without opening up a lawsuit) then you should be even more grateful not to be shit canned at any moment. Again, assume what you are saying is true, which it is not. In any sort of company o have ever worked for. The actual oil drilling companies can find a reason to fire people, but it is well deserved every single time. If you are a shit lazy worker, guarantee they will find alcohol or something in your system when you work 14+ every day.

As other people have done, using specific cases of wrongdoing, you can get me to say specific cases may or may not be wrong. When it comes down to the sense of entitlement and plain disdain for employers which is becoming extremely common, no. Do better. The company that pays your bills doesn’t give you everything you want? Do better. Period.

This post was edited by YeeHaw on Feb 23 2024 07:00pm
Feb 23 2024 07:17pm
Quote (YeeHaw @ Feb 23 2024 05:58pm)

Assuming employers can just get rid of somebody whenever they please (untrue and it is actually quite difficult to fire somebody without opening up a lawsuit) then you should be even more grateful not to be shit canned at any moment. Again, assume what you are saying is true, which it is not. In any sort of company o have ever worked for. The actual oil drilling companies can find a reason to fire people, but it is well deserved every single time. If you are a shit lazy worker, guarantee they will find alcohol or something in your system when you work 14+ every day.

As other people have done, using specific cases of wrongdoing, you can get me to say specific cases may or may not be wrong. When it comes down to the sense of entitlement and plain disdain for employers which is becoming extremely common, no. Do better. The company that pays your bills doesn’t give you everything you want? Do better. Period.

What kind of joke world do you reside in where it's difficult to get of employees on a whim. The majority of workers are not unionized, and mass layoffs with no return happen constantly.

In public practice we let go of employees as soon as they're designated because they will want more money. Let go immediately, justification, slower season coming. Done. Opening a lawsuit lol. How many wrongful dismissal cases are there for the tens of thousands of "layoffs". You can blanket use the words you or phrases like restructure or slowing or a "new direction".

This post was edited by SBD on Feb 23 2024 07:34pm
Gold: 1.03
Feb 23 2024 07:42pm
Quote (YeeHaw @ Feb 23 2024 07:58pm)

How am I proving your point?

> untrue and it is actually quite difficult to fire somebody without opening up a lawsuit
It is not untrue and it is not difficult to lay someone off. Amazon lays off the bottom 4% of its company every year. It is literally a concept where Amazon purges the bottom 4% of its company to open space for incoming talent. Actually, I think I understand where your mindset is and I don't think further discussion will really change it at this point but I respect your opinion.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 23 2024 08:31pm
Quote (SBD @ Feb 23 2024 07:17pm)
What kind of joke world do you reside in where it's difficult to get of employees on a whim. The majority of workers are not unionized, and mass layoffs with no return happen constantly.

In public practice we let go of employees as soon as they're designated because they will want more money. Let go immediately, justification, slower season coming. Done. Opening a lawsuit lol. How many wrongful dismissal cases are there for the tens of thousands of "layoffs". You can blanket use the words you or phrases like restructure or slowing or a "new direction".

I have never been shy about letting you all know I have worked in oil since I was a teenager. It is a fantastic industry to work in. I also gave an example of how easy it is to fire people in my line of work.

Why are you so threatened by my experiences. Literally every interaction I have with you it always leads to you simply dismissing what I say as if I made it up.

This post was edited by YeeHaw on Feb 23 2024 08:31pm
Feb 23 2024 08:37pm
Quote (YeeHaw @ Feb 23 2024 07:31pm)
I have never been shy about letting you all know I have worked in oil since I was a teenager. It is a fantastic industry to work in. I also gave an example of how easy it is to fire people in my line of work.

Why are you so threatened by my experiences. Literally every interaction I have with you it always leads to you simply dismissing what I say as if I made it up.

Because your anecdotal experiences are worthless. No one's threatened by it.
Gold: 2,617.52
Feb 24 2024 08:32pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Feb 20 2024 09:24pm)
Just sharing what appears to be a very common story minimum wage workers in america can relate to.

Minimum wage workers show up late or not at all a significant portion of the time. Usually, it's for a beach day, etc.

The manager will complain, but that's the worst of it.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll