d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev15955965975985992039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.52
Dec 14 2010 03:48pm
Regarding the 5x5 workout that I'm in the process of starting - I can only work out at home with dumbbells, so I don't think it's possible to find out my 1 rep max with the weight I currently have. Was there another way to figure out what weight each of the 5 sets should be done with?

Also, with each week how much do you to increase the weight? Do you have to do another 1 rep max each week to find out?

Thanks
Gold: 0.00
Dec 14 2010 06:18pm
Im looking to start up on some hypertrophy..i like being nice and swole

heres what im doing now

day 1: shoulders/abs
military press - 3x 8rep
db lateral raise - 3x 10rep
seated lateral raise - 3x10rep
bb shrugs - 3x8rep
front lateral raise - 3x10rep per arm

as for abs all I ever do is crunch machine 3x15rep and like a hanging leg raise with dip bars 3x12-15rep

day 2: legs
squats - 3x8rep (im so weak in squats its retarded i weigh 190 now and all i lift is like 155lbs)
leg press - 3x8rep
leg extensions - 3x10-12rep
stiff leg deadlift - 3x8rep (i hardly think i even know how to do it properly, ive watched videos and i still dont think i got it lol, most times i skip this exercise)
leg curls - 3x8rep
standing calf raise - 3x12rep
seated calf raise - 3x10rep

day 3: off

day 4: chest/triceps
db incline bench press - 3x8rep
flat bench press - 3x8-10rep
incline chest flies - 3x8rep
flat chest flies - 3x8rep
tricep pulldown - 3x8rep
skullcrushers - 3x8rep
reverse dips - 3x10rep

day 5: back/biceps
bent over rows - 3x8rep (really feels unfulfilling, and i dont lift much weight, like 135lbs)
lat pull down - 3x8rep
1 arm db rows - 3x8rep per arm
deadlift - 3x8rep (my back always tends to arch, i cant seem to do them properly i gotta correct my form)
close grip barbell curls - 3x8rep
hammer curls -3x8rep per arm
preacher curls - 3x8-10rep

day 6 and 7 off

i havent been doing any cardio, i am always tired and have little motivation in the gym lately since i havent really been seeing any results. i want to change that
I really want to get into some hypertrophy, i am willing to do whatever.
main issues i face with lifting heavy is that my entire left side doesnt develop like my right side. this causes me a lot of issues when it comes to lifting heavy because my left side is and continues to be smaller and weaker. that and my conditioning is pure shit lately lol

id like to toss in an additional training day but i dont know what to do, im thinking maybe i should take a day to work on symmetry but i dont know exactly what to do

your help would be greatly appreciated!

This post was edited by Darkblue on Dec 14 2010 06:21pm
Gold: 2,000.00
Dec 14 2010 06:27pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ 13 Dec 2010 02:27)

hey SKC_Raynor

thanks a bunch for putting that all together for me. after reading it all i only have a few questions.

since i have very similar build/goals as this person, do you think it would be alright for me to follow the same plan?

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&o=100

also, when you say 100~200 reps for abs, do you mean per exercise or total of 100~200 reps for all abs-exercises?
Gold: 1.47
Dec 14 2010 07:54pm
Hey Raynor I was wondering how do you cook your chicken? do you fry it in a pan with some olive oil? I've heard some bad things about eating fried chicken.

edit: also a few questions about drug use and it's effects on weight loss/muscle building-maintaining.

Does marijuana have direct negative effects on a cutting routine?

And just how detrimental is drinking liquor on a cutting routine?

This post was edited by Alyon on Dec 14 2010 07:57pm
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Dec 14 2010 10:03pm
Quote (teh_bishop @ Dec 14 2010 03:02am)
Hi a couple of days ago I broke my right scaphoid a bone in my wrist
So im not able to use my right arm hand
it's going to be 6-8 weeks recovery
I dont go to the gym but working as a rooftiler, surfing and  being active alot keeps me in pretty reasonable shape.
Also I try and do a few sets of pushups, situps, pullups most days.

I dont want this to leave me outta shape and want to know if there are any exersises I can do so I dont loose my muscles.
I can still do situps but apart from that theres not much I can think of
eating well I guess will help, and maybe walking alot?

Hey there...

sorry to hear of your injury..you can NOT do arms/chest/shoulders or any exercise that requires the use of that hand...

here are some things you CAN do however:

Abs: Situps, crunches, knee raises, hanging leg raises, bicycles, planks.
Back: Hyperextensions, Good Mornings (no weight).
Legs: Squats, lunges, leg extensions, leg curls, stair climbing
Cardio: Anything (running, climbing, biking, etc - just nothing that endangers or uses that hand)

Don't bother using your arms at all for the time being. Although you will encounter brief muscle loss, it will be easy to get it back once you are back into the swing of things.

Just make sure to eat plenty of protein and cholesterol - protein helps protect the muscles from atrophe and cholesterol helps rebuild damaged tissue as well as increases testosterone and maintains muscle mass. Contrary to popular belief, high cholesterol diets do NOT cause you to have high blood cholesterol. High blood cholesterol is caused by too much saturated fat and not enough unsaturated fat, as well as high sodium content and constricting blood vessels. Best idea is to take in at least 2g of unsaturated fat to every 1g saturated fat (minimum)
Dec 14 2010 10:12pm
Quote (3atsarr0ws @ Dec 14 2010 01:14pm)
could you clear your pm box so i can message you?

sorry, I can not do PM's at this time. Post in the thread. If the question is of a personal nature you will have to wait until I can get some more time to take care of the PM's. Sorry!
Dec 14 2010 10:15pm
Quote (SyB_BaM @ Dec 14 2010 02:04pm)
Now I bought protein powder, and take it right after I'm done with workout.

I wonder, do the muscles need protein directly afterwards workout, do they start repairing then?

Want to know when they need protein / start repairing.

Heard it is really good taking directly afterwards workout, why is that?

Hey there.

Best time to take a whey protein shake is the following:

1. When you first wake up
2. Pre workout
3. Post workout (ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL)
4. Before bed

It is absolutely essential to get the POST workout shake in. The reason for this is that whey protein is VERY quickly absorbed. Right after a workout your muscles require amino acids to rebuild all the damage you have caused to the muscle fibers. When the muscles receive aminos, they begin repairing, and thus grow larger. You also require sugar (approx 20g) with your PWO shake in order to increase insulin levels and thus increase the uptake of nutrients to the muscles.

Taking whey protein shakes at other times, such at first thing in the morning, before bed, or pre workout are also good...but the only TRUE essential time is post workout.
Dec 14 2010 10:17pm
Quote (AsianChexMix @ Dec 14 2010 03:00pm)
Hey, so for the 2011 I wanna shed massive weight and actually follow through with it. Just to give you my body type:

6'2.5-6'3"
360 lbs (yes, a big boy)
Big body frame

I originally wanted to do p90x and I figured I'd need to do it more than once but I'd need to watch out for my knees and so I thought of doing push ups on my knees (more reps I would assume) and then pull ups using resistance bands. I haven't checked the other exercises but I guess you would know. Personally, I go to an university and they have free gym but I can never get my lazy butt to go. Plus, all my classes are at like 4:30PM and I'd want to set it up to do something in the morning since I will eventually work in the school system (it's what I'm studying).

So I was wondering what you would suggest...people say start small but then also what do I do for nutrition? I would love to cook but again, so lazy. I would assume I'd need to reduce my calorie intake and have more smaller meals instead of big meals. Nothing processed and no soda and such. I mean I was wondering what kinds of tips can you give me since I'm pretty much out of the dark in that.

Thanks man! :)

Hey there. I have just the thing for you:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=304616466
anabolic cutting diet

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&f=60&p=304396247
Cutting Workout Routine

Follow those links. If you follow the anabolic cutting diet along with that workout routine you will see TREMENDOUS fat loss and good muscle maintenance.

Dec 14 2010 10:21pm
Quote (XxShAfTeDxX @ Dec 14 2010 05:48pm)
Regarding the 5x5 workout that I'm in the process of starting - I can only work out at home with dumbbells, so I don't think it's possible to find out my 1 rep max with the weight I currently have.  Was there another way to figure out what weight each of the 5 sets should be done with?

Also, with each week how much do you to increase the weight?  Do you have to do another 1 rep max each week to find out?

Thanks

do not do the 5x5 if all you have are Dumbbells.

I highly recommend trying something totally different...perhaps a straight hypertrophic plan...like this:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=327158583
Hypertrophy Plan

except replace all BB and machine exercises with the DB equivalent.
Dec 14 2010 10:23pm
Quote (Darkblue @ Dec 14 2010 08:18pm)
Im looking to start up on some hypertrophy..i like being nice and swole

heres what im doing now

day 1: shoulders/abs
military press - 3x 8rep
db lateral raise - 3x 10rep
seated lateral raise - 3x10rep
bb shrugs - 3x8rep
front lateral raise - 3x10rep per arm

as for abs all I ever do is crunch machine 3x15rep and like a hanging leg raise with dip bars 3x12-15rep

day 2: legs
squats - 3x8rep (im so weak in squats its retarded i weigh 190 now and all i lift is like 155lbs)
leg press - 3x8rep
leg extensions - 3x10-12rep
stiff leg deadlift - 3x8rep (i hardly think i even know how to do it properly, ive watched videos and i still dont think i got it lol, most times i skip this exercise)
leg curls - 3x8rep
standing calf raise - 3x12rep
seated calf raise - 3x10rep

day 3: off

day 4: chest/triceps
db incline bench press - 3x8rep
flat bench press - 3x8-10rep
incline chest flies - 3x8rep
flat chest flies - 3x8rep
tricep pulldown - 3x8rep
skullcrushers - 3x8rep
reverse dips - 3x10rep

day 5: back/biceps
bent over rows - 3x8rep (really feels unfulfilling, and i dont lift much weight, like 135lbs)
lat pull down - 3x8rep
1 arm db rows - 3x8rep per arm
deadlift - 3x8rep (my back always tends to arch, i cant seem to do them properly i gotta correct my form)
close grip barbell curls - 3x8rep
hammer curls -3x8rep per arm
preacher curls - 3x8-10rep

day 6 and 7 off

i havent been doing any cardio, i am always tired and have little motivation in the gym lately since i havent really been seeing any results. i want to change that
I really want to get into some hypertrophy, i am willing to do whatever.
main issues i face with lifting heavy is that my entire left side doesnt develop like my right side. this causes me a lot of issues when it comes to lifting heavy because my left side is and continues to be smaller and weaker. that and my conditioning is pure shit lately lol

id like to toss in an additional training day but i dont know what to do, im thinking maybe i should take a day to work on symmetry but i dont know exactly what to do

your help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there...I actually have a really good hypertrophe plan here:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=327158583
Hypertrophy Plan

take a look at it and let me know if you'd care to try it. if not I will make modifications to your existing plan.
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev15955965975985992039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll