d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev15035045055065072039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Sep 21 2010 09:11pm
Quote (Tums @ Sep 20 2010 01:29pm)
Hey! I am trying to find a new protien to use.

I am one month into working out and I need a good protien to use. Right now I am using syntha-6 and I ran out.

I need to bulk, but eventually I want to have the nice cut beach body.

Can you help?

I prefer NOW! 100% whey isolate or Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex (regular, NOT GAINER) for cutting and Cytosport Cytogainer for Bulking
Sep 21 2010 09:16pm
Quote (MegaVovaN @ Sep 20 2010 01:47pm)
Hey there,

I noticed your 5x5 plan is from bodybuilding.com. It involves lots of periphery/add-on exercise like curls, shrugs. Would it not be better for a beginner to keep it simple and work out using the rip 3x5 plan, which works the major muscle groups (stimulating muscle growth). I have much less experience than you obviously, so I know you must have a reason for all the add-ons. I'm just curious as to why.

I just think that your time in the gym as a beginner is better used for doing the major exercises: squat, bench, deadlift, press, pull ups than doing shrugs/curls

Hey there. First of all, my 5x5 plan is NOT from bodybuilding.com - that is my own variation of the traiditonal 5x5 which has been done, redone, and done again a million times. My particular version is based on my own knowledge and expertise.

Secondly, I do not believe in beginners neglecting attention to smaller muscle groups. Focusing on major muscle groups is always key in a 5x5, however you must add on additional smaller muscle groups to build support and symmetry. One of the most disheartening things for me to see is a person with a 315lb bench press and 13 inch arms.

I personally think that overall appearance as well as strength, size, and symmetry is absolutely essential.

When you get your body forced into working all muscles groups at maximum intensity (especially for a beginner) you will see gains exponentially. Remember, all exercises work in synergy with other.

If one neglects subtleties from the start, it gets harder and harder to pay attention to them later. Unless of course one's only reason for training is a specific type of lifts (Olympic lifts for example)
Sep 21 2010 09:19pm
Quote (xXCrAzYsHoT @ Sep 20 2010 06:35pm)

Monday - [Chest/Back]
                              Below[10 Reps Each]Below
Pushups  [Set 1 - WideGrip][Set - 2 MediumGrip][Set 3 - DiamondGrip][Set - 4 LowGrip][Set - 5 HighGrip]
Pushups                          [05 Sets][Failure]
Dumbell Chest Flies              [05 Sets][15 Reps]
Dumbell rows                      [10 Sets][15 Reps]
Deadlifts                        [05 Sets][05 Reps]
HIIT Cardio                          [20 Minutes]

Tuesday - [Abdominals/Cardio]

Crunches                      [10 Sets][25 Reps]
Weighted Crunches              [05 Sets][10 Reps]
Bicycle                        [05 Sets][25 Secs]
Sideslaps                      [10 Sets][12 Reps]
Cardio                            [30 Minutes]

Wednesday - [Legs/Shoulders]

Weighted Lunges                [05 Sets][15 Reps]
Dumbell Deadlifts              [05 Sets][15 Reps]
One-Leg Calf Raises            [05 Sets][Failure]
Dumbell Shoulder Shrugs        [05 Sets][20 Reps]
Dumbell Shoulder Press        [05 Sets][15 Reps]

Thursday - [Abdominals/Cardio]

Friday - [Arms]

Bicep Curls                    [05 Sets][15 Reps]
Tricep KickBacks              [07 Sets][10 Reps]
Hammer Curls                  [05 Sets][15 Reps]
Dips                          [05 Sets][15 Reps]

Saturday - [Abdominals/Cardio]

Sunday - [Off Day]

What can I add to my workout to focus primarily on chest,abs,legs. As those are my most lacking parts.

First of all, do NOT do pushups on chest days. Do pushups on days when you are NOT at the gym. Doing pushups on chest days weakens you for the major chest exercises which are meant to build strength. When doing major chest exercises, make sure you are totally fresh in order to maximize muscle gains. In addition you need to be bench pressing at least 2x per week in 5x5 format with flies IMMEDIATELY afterwards.

Secondly, make sure ALL of your ab training is done with at least SOME resistance. Zero resistance ab training will NOT build stubborn abs. The more weight and the more forced reps the better.

Thirdly, just like bench press you need to be doing Squats 2x per week in 5x5 format with leg extensions and leg curls IMMEDIATELY afterwards if you want to see a nice gain in legs.

Sep 21 2010 09:22pm
Quote (TheOak @ Sep 20 2010 06:47pm)
hey Raynor, wats ur opinion on doing p90x for a form of cardio/plyo's ? AND weight training at the gym?

like say you do p90x in the mornings and then workout at night?

lmk
thanks

Hey man.

I generally don't really care for p90x or any of the new craze workout routines. If you want a good plyo or cardio routine, you need one custom made for your own body. Cookie cutter routines that are meant to work for everyone simply don't. Although they may serve as a good foundation (5x5 for example) everyone requires slight variations for maximum efficiency.

I personally think that for pure cardio you need to focus on HIIT - as this has proven to me the most effective way to improve endurance and burn fat.

As far as plyos go, these are VERY subjective as to what you are working on. People who play basketball get a certain routine of plyos, people training for a specific olympic event get other plyos, people looking for just all around fat burning and fat twitch muscle balancing get other plyos, etc.

i hope this answered your question....and if not...basically heres the nutshell answer

P90X = no go

custom routine = best way
Sep 21 2010 09:24pm
Quote (FireZombie @ Sep 21 2010 12:25am)
Im just getting back to lifting after almost a year off due to a car accident. I started back 2-3 weeks ago on the same style 5x5 I was doing before, but decided that
I'd like to seek the help of a pro to get the best results possible and hope you can help.

22 Years Old
5' 11"
173.5lbs
Roughly 13-14% Body Fat

I'm currently going for a relatively lean bulk, and have a fairly solid diet. I'd love it if you could help me design a workout routine. Since I'm just starting back up I'd think a 3-4 day split would be best,
but you're the pro so you tell me. I'd really appreciate it if you could find the time to create a lifting program for me with the focus on gaining mass.

Hey there.

Thankfully I already have made up several plans that fit your needs

here are the quick links to exactly what you need. Please read over the applicable threads and get back to me if you need further assistance.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=298006373

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=298250196

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=298250791

Gold: 75.00
Sep 21 2010 09:25pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Sep 21 2010 10:16pm)
Hey there. First of all, my 5x5 plan is NOT from bodybuilding.com - that is my own variation of the traiditonal 5x5 which has been done, redone, and done again a million times. My particular version is based on my own knowledge and expertise.

Secondly, I do not believe in beginners neglecting attention to smaller muscle groups. Focusing on major muscle groups is always key in a 5x5, however you must add on additional smaller muscle groups to build support and symmetry. One of the most disheartening things for me to see is a person with a 315lb bench press and 13 inch arms.

I personally think that overall appearance as well as strength, size, and symmetry is absolutely essential.

When you get your body forced into working all muscles groups at maximum intensity (especially for a beginner) you will see gains exponentially. Remember, all exercises work in synergy with other.

If one neglects subtleties from the start, it gets harder and harder to pay attention to them later. Unless of course one's only reason for training is a specific type of lifts (Olympic lifts for example)

Hmm, I can't find your version of the 5x5 in the links that Honesty compiled. Could you link me to it? Sorry about that
Sep 21 2010 09:26pm
Quote (lionofgod @ Sep 21 2010 01:14am)
I SAW ur thread on thé health and fit ess forum :) first of all wow is all i CAN say for ur performances ur lifes goal and ur willingness to help people freely

i also want to admit right now that english is my 3rd language so far ( im 17Yearsold) so sorry if i do some mistakes heh but i am still very proud about being understoud by french,Spanish and english people :).

Enought with thé into, my name is jeremy i am 5'11 168-172 pounds ( vary alot) i am currently working partial Time in a woodshop were i do strong muscular 'training' all day long 3 days a week, 24h per week

Been working there all summer full time 40h a week

At the begening of thé summer i had nô pecks, barely nô arms. Muscle i worn 36-38" pants and weighted 175-180 pounds

Now after 3 months in that Job i wear 32-34 pants i have not big but good looking tick pecks and very very tick arms ( i got a pneumatic nailer gun in my right hand for like 4-5hours a days and it weight around 30pounds and in the other hand i lift 2X4 planks and shit about same weight and thé rest of the day im carrying 12 feet long 2x4 or 2x6 planks and crap so yeh)

Ive lost alot of m'y body fat but m'y weight didnt go down much since i gained muscles

Now i woudnlike to get a 6 pack i do not want to be body building like you thats too much for me i just want a small 6 pack and i actually prolly already got it but im not léans enought so its hiding behind some fat LOL

please tell me thé informations u need to know to help me get that 6 pack i want m'y girlfriend to be événement happier about m'y look i mean i wanna please her as much as she please me she says i do but you know self confidance> whar she says ;)

So please if you could give me some tips it souls be greatly apreciated

A few little infos

I cant get protein shakes or protein bulking pills anyways i dont want to bulk i wanna cutt ;)

I havé nô acces to a gym and i live too far from any gym

Im motivated and i have Time to spending arround 1-1.5 hourd per day doing any routine ull suggest me  not more cause im student+ part Time worker

I have acess to pretty much as many meats, nuts i want if that helps

I know i might be a hard case from these specific restrictions i just mentioned but i have Faith in you :)

thanks in advance if u have any questions to better help me just ask and if u woud like to see some pics of me to understand what i need just ask ill get some quick and send em to you

thanks alot already !! :hug:

pm me if possible

Hey there.

Please see these links, as they all contain my past threads which will help you find exactly what you need.

If none of these threads helps, please get back to me and we'll go from there.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=298006373

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=298250196

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=298250791

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=304616466

anabolic cutting diet
Sep 21 2010 09:28pm
Quote (iloveualot @ Sep 21 2010 01:14pm)
what's better for bulking? 100g of beans? (don't know what kind) or 100g of pasta? which is better absorbable? and has better protein/carb/fat content?

This is a GREAT question...I'm very glad someone asked it.

First of all, it generally depends on what kind of beans or what kind of pasta.

Beans generally have a lower glycemic impact, more fiber, slower digestion time, more protein, and more nutrients.

However pasta has a more dense carbohydrate loadout, is more satiating, and can be prepared in a multitude of ways.

For post workout, pasta is better. For pre-workout, or meals later in the day (after workout meal) beans are better.

Sep 21 2010 09:31pm
Quote (Hockeygod9911 @ Sep 21 2010 02:09pm)
Hey SKC, quick question. I talked to my local gym owner about their personal trainers, and he said the national certification that is the most universally accepted was "ACE" certification. He said it was the easiest probably but overall most recognized. Just wanted to know if u know anything about it or have any feeling on their certifications.
thanks!

ACE - American Council of Exercise is highly recognized but by no means the most prestigious and the most universally accepted.

NASM and ACSM are among the most revered in most establishments.

However ACE is still good enough. The best idea is to find the place(s) you want to work for, find out what PT cert they are looking for the most, and go for that one.

If you are going to work for yourself (freelance) - I'd go with NASM and/or just go the whole 9 yards and get the B.S. in kinesthesiology which will at the very least make you a viable choice

Sep 21 2010 09:35pm
Quote (MegaVovaN @ Sep 21 2010 11:25pm)
Hmm, I can't find your version of the 5x5 in the links that Honesty compiled. Could you link me to it? Sorry about that

Luckily I have it saved on my PC

5x5 PLAN for Strength and Size

The 5x5 plan is basically 5 reps for 5 sets of a particular exercise for most days. Other exercises will be 5 sets of 8-12 reps. You will do at LEAST 20 total sets per day. It will be used in the following manner for 5x5:

Set 1 – 5 reps of 50% max weight
Set 2 – 5 reps of 55% max weight
Set 3 – 5 reps of 60% max weight
Set 4 – 5 reps of 65% max weight
Set 5 – 5 reps of 75% max weight

So if you can bench press 155 lbs for 1 rep, your set would look like this –
Set 1 – 77.25 (rounds up to 80) [155 x 50%]
Set 2 – 85.25 (rounds down to 85) [155 x 55%]
Set 3 - 93 (rounds up to 95) [155 x 60%]
Set 4 - 100.75 (rounds up to 105) [155 x 65%]
Set 5 – 116.25 (rounds up to 120) [155 x .75]

In order to determine your max, however, grab a spotter at the gym, and load up weight until you can only do 1 unassisted rep. That is your 1-rep max from which you will be able to get your 5x5 plan started.
Don’t forget, its best to use a spotter no matter what, but if you can’t the 5x5 is fine to do without one. As for the 5x8-12, you will do moderately heavy weight for optimal burn and pump.

Day 1 (Monday) - Chest
• Bench Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Incline Bench Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Decline Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Cable Crossovers – 5 sets of 8-12 reps (do not use 5x5 for this!)
OTHER CHEST EXERCISES INCLUDE: Dumbbell Bench Press, Incline Dumbbell Bench Press, Dumbbell Decline Bench Press, Dumbbell Flies, Pec Deck, Weighted Pushups, Wide Chest Press, Overhead extensions. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 4.

Day 2 (Tuesday) - Back
• Barbell Deadlift - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Lat Pulldown - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Seated Cable Row - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Dumbbell Rows - 5 set of 8-12 reps
OTHER BACK EXERCISES INCLUDE: Lower Back Extensions, Underhand High Cable Rows, Rack Pulls, Good-Mornings, Dumbbell Deadlifts, Close-Grip Pulldowns, or Barbell Rows. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 4.

Day 3 (Wednesday) – Legs
• Barbell Squats - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Seated Machine Leg Extensions - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Seated Machine Leg Curls - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Standing Calf Raises 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Seated Calf Raises 5 sets of 8-12 reps
OTHER LEGS EXERCISES INCLUDE: Dumbbell leg lunges, Leg Hip Abbduction Machine, Leg Hip Adduction Machine, Laying leg curls, Front Squats, 1 Leg Squats. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 5.

Day 4 (Thursday) - Shoulders
• Military Press - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Dumbbell Shoulder Shrugs - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Dumbbell Shoulder Presses - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Dumbbell Front Raises - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
OTHER SHOULDERS EXERCISES INCLUDE: Lateral Dumbbell Raises, Barbell Shrugs, Arnold Presses, Straight Bar Cable Pulldowns, Herculean Pulls. You can use any of these exercises instead of the 4 I have mentioned if you want to change it up or have difficulty doing any of those 5.

Day 5 (Friday) - Arms
• EZ-Bar Curls - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Dumbbell Concentration Curls - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Olympic Bar Curls - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Weighted Dips - 5 sets of 5 reps
• Tricep Cable Pulldowns - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
• Dumbbell Tricep Kickbacks - 5 sets of 8-12 reps
OTHER ARMS EXERCISES INCLUDE: Preacher Curls, standing double curls, seated hammer curls, close-grip curls, EZ-bar 21's, skullcrushers, ez-bar tricep extensions, Rope Pulldowns, single handle reverse grip pulldowns, and close-grip bench press.

Day 6 – (Saturday) Rest
Day 7 – (Sunday) Rest
NOTE::: Every single day at the gym (5 days a week) you will be doing abs!! You will need to work into your schedule 100-200 reps of ab workout into 20-25 rep sets.
Ab exercises:
Crunches, Hanging Leg Raises, Broomstick Twists, Roman Chair Situps, V-Crunches, Decline Situps, & Knee Raises.

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO A PARTICULAR EXERCISE MENTIONED ABOVE…GO TO THIS WEBSITE: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev15035045055065072039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll