d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Health & Fitness > 100% Free Advice From A Professional > Ask Anything To A Trainer/bodybuilder
Prev15305315325335342039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,422.77
Trader: Trusted
Oct 17 2010 12:59am
Quote (Dogs @ Oct 17 2010 02:46am)
Alright I'll try that bud. Thanks for all the help! Plus I've been watching my Blood pressure and it's been going from HIGH to normal randomly. Like 2 months ago it was at 120 now it's at 141. It randomly changed like that. I'm going to start packing food with me when I go places because today I couldnt go home to eat a salad i had to eat 2 chicken wraps which I did not like :/ It's better then eating nothing at all tho. Ill try this out and ill post results on the other thread shortly thanks!

Anytime. Good luck!
Gold: 13.00
Oct 17 2010 10:41am
so i cant really find anywhere on the internet that will give me some example workouts that last more than an hour... do you know of any, or will i just have to try and plan it myself?
Oct 17 2010 12:27pm
Quote (Carl_The_BinMan @ Oct 17 2010 12:41pm)
so i cant really find anywhere on the internet that will give me some example workouts that last more than an hour...  do you know of any, or will i just have to try and plan it myself?

Please refer to these links which are a compilation of some of my best workout plans and questions answered:

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=298006373

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=298250196

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=298250791

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=21269614&p=321315004
Oct 17 2010 12:56pm
i've had a look through those compilations, but cant find what im looking for honestly....

could you please just show me an example workout say for the first day of working out and how long it would take (i want it to last as long as possible as i have lots of time to workout and want to use it) and then list the muscle groups you would do each of the other days, 5 days a week working out. and thank you for your help so far :D
Oct 17 2010 05:29pm
Quote (Carl_The_BinMan @ Oct 17 2010 02:56pm)
i've had a look through those compilations, but cant find what im looking for honestly....

could you please just show me an example workout say for the first day of working out and how long it would take (i want it to last as long as possible as i have lots of time to workout and want to use it) and then list the muscle groups you would do each of the other days, 5 days a week working out.  and thank you for your help so far :D

Hey there...please follow the 5x5 plan listed here (this is the CORE 5x5 plan to base your strength routine off of)

After that, choose 3-4 more exercises featured below the core exercises and perform them in similar format...either 5 sets of 5 reps or 5 sets of 8-12 reps. You are going to want to pyramid up in weight for each set.

For the 5x5 exercises, you will need approximately 1 minute rest between sets.

For the 5x12 exercises you will need approximately 45 seconds rest between sets.

You will also need approximately 1-2 minutes rest between exercises.

Overall the total breakdown is 4 or 5 core exercises, followed up by 3-4 secondary exercises. That gives you anywhere between 35-45 sets. With just rest alone, you stand to spend between 40-60 minutes of just rest between sets/exercises alone. In addition, the actual duration of the 35-45 sets is at least another 60-90 minutes depending on intensity, setup time, warmup/cooldown, stretching, etc. The average time to do this plan is 2.5 - 3 hours.

This plan is build primarily towards strength. For hypertrophic training, let me know and I'll whip something up.

This post was edited by SKCRaynor on Oct 17 2010 05:30pm
Gold: 21,055.00
Warn: 20%
Oct 17 2010 07:07pm
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Oct 18 2010 12:29pm)
This plan is build primarily towards strength. For hypertrophic training, let me know and I'll whip something up.

I would love to see this if there is one.

could you help me a little?

My goals are to put on muscle mass. not worried about strength or anything else, basically want to look good for summer. i go to the gym four days a week for about 1hr-1.5 hr and have it split to lower body and upper body. so do two sessions of each a week.

at the moment im doing 3 sets of 10 reps at about 75% of my 1rm with 45 second rest periods for each exercise. i do 3-4 different exercises for each muscle (compound and iso). Is this correct for hypertrophy?

basically any advice you can give me on things to change would be great. Also any advice on supplements i should take would also help a lot.

thanks.

just saw this;

supplements for hypertrophy =

Multivitamin (NOW! Adam or CL Orange Triad) (take 2x doses per day)
NOW! Vitamin C (take 1g 3x per day)
NOW! Vitamin D (take 5,000iu once per day)
Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Monohydrate (20g / day for 7 days and then 5g / day for 3 months, then cycle off for 1 week and repeat - also make sure to mix with grape juice...take post or pre workout)
NOW! Arginine + Ornithine (take 3x pre workout, 3x post workout, and 3x pre-bedtime)
NOW! ZMA (take 3x before bed every night)
Optimum BCAA-1000 (take 3x every 45 mins before/during/after during exercise)

Protein shakes - depending on your bodytype...if you are looking to bulk, try Cytosport Cytogainer. If you are looking for general purpose, try Gaspari Myofusion or Optimum Procomplex (regular, not the gainer). If you are cutting, try now! 100% whey isolate.

could you elaborate a bit on what these things do and how they help with hypertrophy?

This post was edited by zeebot9 on Oct 17 2010 07:10pm
Oct 18 2010 07:28am
Quote (SKCRaynor @ Oct 18 2010 12:29am)
Hey there...please follow the 5x5 plan listed here (this is the CORE 5x5 plan to base your strength routine off of)

After that, choose 3-4 more exercises featured below the core exercises and perform them in similar format...either 5 sets of 5 reps or 5 sets of 8-12 reps. You are going to want to pyramid up in weight for each set.

For the 5x5 exercises, you will need approximately 1 minute rest between sets.

For the 5x12 exercises you will need approximately 45 seconds rest between sets.

You will also need approximately 1-2 minutes rest between exercises.

Overall the total breakdown is 4 or 5 core exercises, followed up by 3-4 secondary exercises. That gives you anywhere between 35-45 sets. With just rest alone, you stand to spend between 40-60 minutes of just rest between sets/exercises alone. In addition, the actual duration of the 35-45 sets is at least another 60-90 minutes depending on intensity, setup time, warmup/cooldown, stretching, etc. The average time to do this plan is 2.5 - 3 hours.

yeah the plan would be for hypertrophic training, if you could throw something together it would be great

Oct 18 2010 10:36am
Quote (zeebot9 @ Oct 17 2010 09:07pm)
I would love to see this if there is one.

could you help me a little?

My goals are to put on muscle mass. not worried about strength or anything else, basically want to look good for summer. i go to the gym four days a week for about 1hr-1.5 hr and have it split to lower body and upper body. so do two sessions of each a week.

at the moment im doing 3 sets of 10 reps at about 75% of my 1rm with 45 second rest periods for each exercise. i do 3-4 different exercises for each muscle (compound and iso). Is this correct for hypertrophy?

basically any advice you can give me on things to change would be great. Also any advice on supplements i should take would also help a lot.

thanks.

just saw this;

supplements for hypertrophy =

Multivitamin (NOW! Adam or CL Orange Triad) (take 2x doses per day)
NOW! Vitamin C (take 1g 3x per day)
NOW! Vitamin D (take 5,000iu once per day)
Optimum Nutrition Micronized Creatine Monohydrate (20g / day for 7 days and then 5g / day for 3 months, then cycle off for 1 week and repeat - also make sure to mix with grape juice...take post or pre workout)
NOW! Arginine + Ornithine (take 3x pre workout, 3x post workout, and 3x pre-bedtime)
NOW! ZMA (take 3x before bed every night)
Optimum BCAA-1000 (take 3x every 45 mins before/during/after during exercise)

Protein shakes - depending on your bodytype...if you are looking to bulk, try Cytosport Cytogainer. If you are looking for general purpose, try Gaspari Myofusion or Optimum Procomplex (regular, not the gainer). If you are cutting, try now! 100% whey isolate.

could you elaborate a bit on what these things do and how they help with hypertrophy?

Quote (Carl_The_BinMan @ Oct 18 2010 09:28am)
yeah the plan would be for hypertrophic training, if you could throw something together it would be great

Ok for both of you then, here is a full weekly plan for hypertrophy along with basic guidelines and supplement explanations.

Supplements:

Multi Vitamins are for overall baseline health and optimal muscular and recovery function.
Vitamin C has anabolic properties as well as antioxidant properties which both assist in hypertrophy
Vitamin D has immense anabolic and immune properties. It's basically a wonder vitamin. People who take 5,000 IU of vitamin D per day see more muscle increases, get sick much less frequently, and recover faster than those who do not take it.
Creatine goes without saying - it assists in muscle growth through saturation (primarily of water and additional nutrients) which swell the muscles and assist in the growth process through increased uptake of nutrition to the muscles as well.
Arginine + Ornithine improves your vascularity by dilating your blood vessels and improving the pump you get with each set. In addition in improves your recovery when you sleep.
ZMA assists in anabolic function and is particularly helpful when taken before going to bed. Athletes who took ZMA regularly saw a big strength increase over the placebo group for a 1 month period.
BCAA's keep the metabolism on track and prevents muscle wasting through extended workout sessions or periods of time without eating. It is best every 45 mins before/during/after training and before bed.

Basic Guidelines:

Get at least 8 hrs of sleep per night
Drink at least 1-1.5 gal of water per day
Eat at least 500 cal more than your basal metabolism needs per day (all from clean sources) - use a BMR calculator to figure out what you need...although hardgainers will need approx 50% more cal intake than others.
Don't get lazy....the more days you take off from the gym, the worse your gains will be. You need a strict routine to follow every week.
Get enough good fats in your diet. Good fat and cholesterol boost testosterone and assist in body fat loss. Get at least 60-80g good fat every day.
Drink casein shake or eat cottage cheese before bed to sustain metabolism throughout the night.

Workout plan for hypertrophy:

[Perform all exercises as follows: 1. Warmup set (15ish reps light weight), 2. First set (wait about 30 seconds after warmup, then do 10-12 reps medium weight), 3. Second set (wait about 30-45 seconds after second set then do 8-10 reps medium/heavy weight), 4. Third Set (wait about 1 minute after second set then do 75% of max weight for as many reps as possible until failure, rack the weight, wait 5-10 seconds and get it again for as many reps as possible until failure), 5. Fourth Set ( wait 1 minute after third set then do the Same as third set), 6. Fifth Set (WITHOUT RESTING after the fourth set, cut the weight in half and immediately go until failure again).

The only exception to these exercises are supersets which will be performed with medium/heavy weight and both exercises done until failure, wait 60 seconds, then repeat the process with a MILD weight increase (5-10% max increase). The key with supersets is just to keep going and fight the burn and get as many reps as possible with medium/heavy weight.

Mon (chest/bis) - Incline Bench Press, Flat Bench Press, Incline DB Flies SUPERSET with Flat DB Flies, Wide-grip Dips (weighted if possible), lying DB pullovers, Low cable crossovers SUPERSET w/ high cable crossovers. Standing olympic bar curls, seated E-Z Bar preacher curls, Standing DB curls SUPERSET w/ seated DB hammer curls, Concentration DB curls, High cable curls (looks like a standing double-bicep pose) SUPERSET w/ low cable bicep curls.

Tues (Back/Tris) - Straight-Leg Deadlifts, Seated Cable Rows, Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns, T-Bar Rows, Bent over DB Rows SUPERSET w/ Lawnmower DB Rows, Good Mornings Superset w/ Lower Back Hyperextensions, Bent Over Barbell Rows. Cable Tricep Pulldowns (Rope or V-Bar), One-Arm tricep cable pulldowns SUPERSET w/ One-Arm tricep cable kickbacks, DB Kickbacks, Seated DB Skullcrushers SUPERSET w/ laying EZ-bar skullcrushers, Close-Grip machine dips.

Weds (Legs/Shoulders) - Barbell Squats (ATG), Plate loaded Leg Press, Leg Extension SUPERSET w/ Leg Curls (laying or seated), DB Lunges, Hip Abductor SUPERSET w/ Hip Adductor, Standing Calf Raise Machine, Donkey Calf Raises SUPERSET w/ Seated Calf-Raises. Seated Military Press, DB Shoulder Press, DB Arnold Press SUPERSET w/ DB Front raises, DB Lat raises (normal 2 arm method) SUPERSET w/ one arm slow-decline lat raises, DB Shrugs, Barbell Shrugs.

Thurs - REST

Fri - Repeat Monday

Sat - Repeat Tuesday

Sun - Repeat Weds

Mon - OFF

Now the only part I didn't mention was abs and cardio. For Abs, you can train them 3-4 times per week (although you only really need 2x per week) on whatever days suit you. Consider ab training on your easier days. So whichever 2 of the 3 days are the easier days, throw ab training on those days. If you can't get abs more than 1-2 days per week, that is fine and shouldn't really matter all that much.

Abs - 30 minutes ab instinct training (yep, just like arnold) - basically you jump from a plethora of ab exercises without stopping in between. You are going to jump from exercise to exercise and perform them all until failure (weighted exercises until failure - for bodyweight ab exercises, just do 20-25 reps). After 30 minutes of ab instinct training is over, hang from a pullup bar for 30-60 seconds to stretch out the abs sufficiently.

For cardio, this is totally optional. If you start detecting fat gains, you can throw in 20 mins of HIIT cardio every morning and 15-20 mins post-workout every day. If you aren't gaining fat, forget cardio all together.

Gold: 748.53
Oct 18 2010 10:42am
what's your thoughts on DAA?(d-aspartic acid)
Gold: 112.00
Oct 18 2010 10:44am
Hey brah, how do you usually deload (don't remember seeing this question here)? I used to just take a week off, but I feel alright enough to go to the gym and lift some weights.

Should I just go lift but at like 60%~ of my maxes? I've been going 5 days a week for 7 weeks with no breaks except for the weekends ;o
Go Back To Health & Fitness Topic List
Prev15305315325335342039Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll