d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Sports Coliseum > Football & Rugby > My 2014 Mock Draft 1.0
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.27
Sep 26 2013 07:23pm
This is my very first mock of the year. It’s very vanilla and not all that different from most of the others out there but there’s a reason for that right now lol.

Draft order was taken from here - http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2014.php

As usual, feel free to comment, critique, ask questions, etc.

1) Jacksonville Jaguars – Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
The Jaguars and their fans have to be ready to give up on Gabbert by now. Henne isn’t much of an upgrade. Get the top rated QB in this class, build around him and move forward. They have a ton of pieces already but without a QB, they won’t be doing anything.

2) Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
Instead of going for a QB, the Bucs elect to stick with Glennon for another year and grab the top rated player in this draft. Clowney will give the Bucs defense a much needed boost in the pass rush game. With an improved secondary and a solid enough foundation on the line and at LB already, adding Clowney (and maybe another piece or two) will solidify the Bucs on defense.

3) Oakland Raiders – Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
The Raiders would have rather had Clowney but the Bucs ruined those plans so they settle for Matthews. Pryor showed flashes of skill revealing that there might be an actual NFL QB in there somewhere. Not a read option going to be out of the league in a few years skill, but actual step up into the pocket, make some reads and make a throw skills. They opt to protect Pryor rather than draft a QB which is a good move because even if Pryor fails, drafting a QB here would be pointless since he’ll die behind that line.

4) Cleveland Browns – Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
The Browns really lucked out here. Even falling into the 4th draft spot, they were still able to get a top 2 QB. The re-rebuild begins around Boyd, not Richardson and Weeden.

5) St. Louis Rams – Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
Wait, didn’t they just draft a receiver in the first? Yes they did and they still need help at the position. Austin is a slot guy, Watkins is an outside, deep threat who will get YACs and go down fighting on every single reception. The Rams need this in a receiver.

6) Minnesota Vikings – Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
They didn’t want to hurt Ponder’s feelings….confidence before, but I think they’ve said fuck that at this point. Maziel might be a gigantic douche bag but hey, he’s a college football star, wouldn’t you be an arrogant asshole too? He’s still a potential franchise QB.

7) Buffalo Bills – Haha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
This might be the only real surprise of this mock and it isn’t even that big of one. Clinton-Dix was huge for Bama in their National Championship Game last year and he has been nothing but solid so far this year. The Bills are hurting in the secondary, they have Byrd but he wasn’t happy this off season and if they can’t retain him, the position must be addressed. They do have some young talent they drafted this past year but that may not be enough.

8) New York Jets – Marqise Lee, WR, USC
Finally get rid of Sanchez, spend a first rounder on a guy from USC. Jets’ logic! At least it’s not a QB so it’s OK haha. Holmes will most likely be gone, that leaves Hill and who? Geno isn’t a franchise guy so they’ll need to load up on talent all around him.

9) New York Giants – Anthony Barr, DE/OLB, UCLA
This is an absolute steal. In my opinion, Barr is the best, yes, THE best player in this draft. Better than any QB, better than Clowney, he is the best. The Giants might not need the position (especially with the top corner still available and some key offensive line pieces sitting here too) but this is too good to pass on.

10) St. Louis Rams (from Washington) – Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame
Just like the Giants, this is a value pick. The Rams don’t necessarily need a DT right now but Nix should have been a top 5 pick, he just didn’t fit the need for anyone. The Rams continue to build up their young and talented defense with another great pick.

11) Pittsburgh Steelers – Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
The Steelers have an obvious need for offensive line help, but they also need to give Ben a true #1 receiver. Evans has been playing incredibly well this year (he beat the shit out of Bama) and the Steelers decide to sit on OL until later on.

12) Philadelphia Eagles – Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
The Eagles’ defense is just horrible. They could go a few ways here, Khalil Mach, DE/OLB out of Buffalo could be an option but for now, they give some much needed help to their secondary with the consensus top corner in this draft.

13) Arizona Cardinals – Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
Finally the Cardinals wise the fuck up and help their atrocious offensive line. Levi Brown finds his way to the unemployment line and Lewan takes over. Lewan could have been a top 5, top 3 or even #1 overall pick in the 2013 draft. The fact that he falls to 13 this year speaks about how horrible last year’s draft was or how much better this year’s is. Either way, thank the lord. This year is deep with potential franchise QBs so the Cardinals can afford to sit on the position for now.

14) Carolina Panthers – Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
The Panthers defense is looking solid but they are very thin at corner. They could address their offensive line but in this scenario, Roberson is the better choice

15) Tennessee Titans – Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
The Titans continued to boast about how they wanted a top notch, franchise level corner. Well they didn’t get one last year so with a lack of other needs available at this pick, they go with Purifoy. He was recently injured but it seems to be nothing. He’s big, physical and on par with guys like Patrick Peterson and Morris Claiborne when they were coming out of college. He does have some off the field issues which could be a huge red flag but if he can keep his shit together and continue to play well, he can easily be a top 10 pick when all is said and done.

16) Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis) – Khalil Mach, DE/OLB, Buffalo
The Browns got their QB and they could use this pick to address their need for a running back or another wide receiver if Gordon is traded but Mach is too good to pass up now. Horton will love to get his hands on a player of Mach’s talent.

17) Detroit Lions – Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
They have addressed their offensive line recently but it still needs some work. Richardson provides the best value and need here. The only other pick I’d see is Mach but I think extra help along the line is more useful in the first for the Lions.

18) San Diego Chargers – Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
The Chargers current defense made the Jake Locker look like a solid NFL QB, that’s all that needs to be said here.

19) Houston Texans – A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama
Schaub leads the Texans to yet another disappointing playoff loss and they finally decide to get his replacement.

20) Atlanta Falcons – Khalil Mach, DE, Buffalo -- I fucked up, see below.
What an absolute steal for the Falcons here. They desperately need help rushing the passer and Mach is phenomenal at doing just that. He has tremendous value at this point in the first round and fills a massive need.

21) Kansas City Chiefs – Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
But…..Eric Fisher? It’s simple. Andy Reid building from the trenches out. Albert will be gone next year, Fisher and Kouandjio locks down the edges of that offensive line for many years to come.

22) Miami Dolphins – Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
This gives Tannehill a massive safety net and a major threat as well. Seferian-Jenkins has Gronkowski/Graham type talent in him.

23) Dallas Cowboys – Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU
Honestly, who the fuck knows? I’m going go with most people and assume that Jerry Jones realizes the Cowboys need a better guy for the middle of the DL. But what will most likely happen is the Cowboys will trade down to the end of the first and draft a third round level receiver or something.

24) Chicago Bears – Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
Both of their starting corners are on expiring deals and Verrett is the top corner available so this is a no brainer.

25) Baltimore Ravens – C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
Mosely could have been a top 15 pick this past season (maybe top 25 but he’d be up there) and he could go even higher. As of now, this is still the proper position for him so the Ravens jump on him to help in the effort to replace Ray Lewis. It’s not possible to replace him, but they have to try. They could and probably should go receiver here but Mosley is a much better talent than any available receiver.

26) Cincinnati Bengals – Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
The Bengals are doing the best they can with their aging corners but they need to address the position. Colvin is too good of a value here to pass up too so it’s solid value at a position of need, another easy no brainer.

27) Green Bay Packers – Dominique Easley, DE/OLB, Florida -- I fucked up, see below.
Perry hasn’t lived up to any expectations thus far and Easley provides some nice value at the back end of the first round.

28) New Orleans Saints – Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
The Saints try to salvage a run game out of their offense yet again. They let Ingram go, Thomas is getting old and Sproles isn’t an every down back. Seastrunk is an every down back though who can run, block, make catches with good strength and break away speed. Him and Sproles could make for a deadly one two punch.

29) New England Patriots – Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
Does this really need any explanation? If their current receiver can come around throughout the season, the Pats will likely sit on the WR position and address some issues (DL) on defense here.

30) San Francisco 49ers – Kyle Van Noy, DE/OLB, BYU -- I fucked up, see below.
Who knows what awaits Aldon Smith in the future? The Niners protect their largest weapon (their defense) by filling the gap left by Smith with another dynamic pass rusher.

31) Denver Broncos – A.J. Johnson, ILB, Tennessee
The Broncos failed to address this position last year but thankfully Peyton makes up for any short comings on the defense. They fill the void with a very talented player who could have gone much earlier than this.

32) Seattle Seahawks – Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida
With no glaring needs, the Seahawks go with not only the BPA but a logical pick too. Bennett and Avril are on one year deals if I recall correctly, why continue on with them with you can get a younger and more dynamic player in Lynch for what I believe will be less money? Improves the defense and helps the team as a whole. They have to plan ahead for when Wilson is due for his pay day.

Previous mocks:

2013 Final Mock: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=67113792&f=204
2013 Draft Analysis: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=67228920&f=204

2012 Draft Analysis: http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=62247355&f=204

EDIT:
Quote (Grizzy_Green @ Sep 26 2013 06:34pm)
You have Mach drafted twice buzzin  ^_^

Quote (Randolph @ Sep 26 2013 06:37pm)
Fuck haha.

I did the first 16 last night, rest tonight.  I thought it was weird having him available for the Falcons.. >.<

EDIT: OK...

Easley to the Falcons.

Van Noy to the Packers

Ra'Shede Hageman, DE/DT, Minnesota to the Niners

This post was edited by Randolph on Sep 26 2013 07:39pm
Gold: 161.95
Warn: 90%
Sep 26 2013 07:26pm
Browns don't need a DE at all
Sep 26 2013 07:29pm
Quote (JackSoniSRaW @ Sep 26 2013 06:26pm)
Browns don't need a DE at all

Good thing he's an OLB who's an upgrade over Mingo, Kruger and Groves. Mach and Sheard would be a deadly duo.

But who would you like them to go with (player or position wise)?

That's why I post, I want opinions, not just "bitch moan complain, no real input".

This post was edited by Randolph on Sep 26 2013 07:32pm
Gold: 13,070.66
Sep 26 2013 07:33pm
for the love of god.... VIKINGS TRADE UP TO GET TAHJ BOYD PLEASEEEEEEEE

but in all honesty, I see the Bucs drafting a QB, nothing else. Freeman is trash Glennon isnt the answer...they will 90% chance be takign a QB whether it is Boyd or Mariota is up for debate

This post was edited by 4killer7 on Sep 26 2013 07:35pm
Gold: 69.00
Sep 26 2013 07:34pm
You have Mach drafted twice buzzin ^_^

Sep 26 2013 07:37pm
Quote (Grizzy_Green @ Sep 26 2013 06:34pm)
You have Mach drafted twice buzzin  ^_^

Fuck haha.

I did the first 16 last night, rest tonight. I thought it was weird having him available for the Falcons.. >.<

EDIT: OK...

Easley to the Falcons.

Van Noy to the Packers

Ra'Shede Hageman, DE/DT, Minnesota to the Niners

This post was edited by Randolph on Sep 26 2013 07:38pm
Gold: 69.00
Sep 26 2013 07:38pm
Quote (Randolph @ Sep 26 2013 09:37pm)
Fuck haha.

I did the first 16 last night, rest tonight.  I thought it was weird having him available for the Falcons.. >.<

:P Do you see Alex Amidon, WR Boston College getting drafted? I played against him in HS.
Gold: 161.95
Warn: 90%
Sep 26 2013 07:39pm
Quote (Randolph @ Sep 26 2013 08:29pm)
Good thing he's an OLB who's an upgrade over Mingo, Kruger and Groves.  Mach and Sheard would be a deadly duo.

But who would you like them to go with (player or position wise)?

That's why I post, I want opinions, not just "bitch moan complain, no real input".

Ummm have you seen MINGO play this year? Lol

He's been worth the pick so far

We will probably go CB or Olineman with our second pick...or we might trade up to try & get bdrigewater
Sep 26 2013 07:41pm
Quote (Grizzy_Green @ Sep 26 2013 06:38pm)
:P Do you see Alex Amidon, WR Boston College getting drafted? I played against him in HS.

Never heard of him, this was the first look into guys, haven't dug deep yet.
Gold: 13,070.66
Sep 26 2013 07:43pm
Quote (JackSoniSRaW @ Sep 26 2013 08:39pm)
Ummm have you seen MINGO play this year? Lol

He's been worth the pick so far

We will probably go CB or Olineman with our second pick...or we might trade up to try & get bdrigewater

If the jags are truly drafting #1 overall...they will NOT trade away that pick....bridewater is just that valueable so its not happening even if you gave a skin like deal....best you will get is Mariota or Boyd
Go Back To Football & Rugby Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll