d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Lockdown Cult
Prev1125126127128129165Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2.51
Jan 23 2022 01:14pm
Quote (Nibthebarb @ Jan 23 2022 11:08am)
A very important factor that folks don't take into account nearly enough. I can't help but say it's quite a purposeful omission when they make correlative comparisons between small mostly homogeneous countries like Denmark and massive multi-ethnic empires like the US. As if it's the exact same administrative environment.

“We locked down! Muh numbers!” -NZ
“Didn’t ask” -the world

Gold: 260.11
Jan 23 2022 01:18pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 23 2022 11:51am)
Auckland, which accounts for over one third of New Zealand's entire population, spent something like 6+ months in hard lockdowns since March 20, plus times with significant restrictions below the lockdown level on top. The country's borders had to be almost hermetically sealed off for two years and the country's sizeable tourism industry is in shambles. Compared with Europe or North America, New Zealand had more days with minimal restrictions, but also more days with hard lockdowns and stay-at-home orders. From a social and economic point of view, it's not as clear-cut that their approach was a winner compared to that of, say, South Korea or Japan. And mind you that we're talking about an isolated, low density island. New Zealand's approach would have been a gigantic failure if tried in the EU or NA.

But that's all besides the point anyway. No need to squabble over the past. The point is that it should be a no brainer that the handling of covid must change once a country has fully vaccinated its entire eligible population like NZ. Even more so when the dominant variant is significantly milder than previous strains. It genuinely baffles my mind that places like NZ or Samoa still stick with these policies in the current situation.

So NZ took an approach that worked out very well for them considering their circumstances that allowed them to have more open days than everybody else and is now criticized as being tyranical.

lol k
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 23 2022 01:24pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ 23 Jan 2022 20:18)
So NZ took an approach that worked out very well for them considering their circumstances that allowed them to have more open days than everybody else and is now criticized as being tyranical.

lol k

Come on, don't act dense just to troll. First, they took an approach that gave them less open days than more densely populated, more internationally connected South Korea and Japan. Second, even if their approach might have been the right one for them from March 2020 until the vaccination campaign wrapped up, this does not have to mean that this approach still makes sense now, under much different circumstances.

Keeping up restrictions of fundamental rights after the justification for these restrictions has become obsolete is of course tyrannical.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jan 23 2022 01:24pm
Jan 23 2022 01:27pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 23 2022 01:24pm)
Come on, don't act dense just to troll. First, they took an approach that gave them less open days than more densely populated, more internationally connected South Korea and Japan. Second, even if their approach might have been the right one for them from March 2020 until the vaccination campaign wrapped up, this does not have to mean that this approach still makes sense now, under much different circumstances.

Keeping up restrictions of fundamental rights after the justification for these restrictions has become obsolete is of course tyrannical.

It's a value judgement. The people of New Zealand had a highly successful campaign to do exactly what they set out to do. Just because they don't follow your definitions doesn't mean they are wrong to do so. They just seem to value human life and therefore the right to life more than the Western world.

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on Jan 23 2022 01:27pm
Gold: 4,400.67
Jan 23 2022 01:37pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ 23 Jan 2022 20:27)
It's a value judgement. The people of New Zealand had a highly successful campaign to do exactly what they set out to do. Just because they don't follow your definitions doesn't mean they are wrong to do so. They just seem to value human life and therefore the right to life more than the Western world.

Oh please. Ardern doesn't have the guts to pivot like they did in Australia or other countries, that's all there really is to it. She's exposing her people to unneeded restrictions to maintain her brand and to rule out political tail risk for herself.
Also, I doubt that their campaign set out to keep the country closed to the world and under heavy restrictions even months after the eligible population was fully vaccinated.

Gold: 9,030.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 23 2022 01:45pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jan 23 2022 02:27pm)

Hello!

In all fairness, New Zealand isn't really a true comparison to the United States based on size difference alone.

New Zealand has a population of just over 5 million in total.

The single city of New York in the United States has a population of almost 8.5 million.

Understand, I am not negating that whatever precautions were taken over there did not have a positive effect for the population -- I am sure it did -- it's a very small country with a very homogeneous population (not a bad thing, just the reality of their lifestyle and a relevant fact).

However, is it logical and fair to compare this to a country of almost 330 million (which mathematically makes New Zealand 1.5% the size of the United States) that still, with everything, had over a 98% survival rate before the vaccine was released (and new numbers are showing that is pushing as high as 99%+ now even with the many who still have not been vaccinated).

I welcome your thoughts :)
Jan 23 2022 01:52pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 23 2022 01:45pm)
Hello!

In all fairness, New Zealand isn't really a true comparison to the United States based on size difference alone.

New Zealand has a population of just over 5 million in total.

I wasnt comparing them.

You should work on your reading comprehension. It will save you wasted typing
Jan 23 2022 01:54pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 23 2022 01:37pm)
Oh please. Ardern doesn't have the guts to pivot like they did in Australia or other countries, that's all there really is to it. She's exposing her people to unneeded restrictions to maintain her brand and to rule out political tail risk for herself.
Also, I doubt that their campaign set out to keep the country closed to the world and under heavy restrictions even months after the eligible population was fully vaccinated.

Arden made it clear from the start that her goal was that nobody dies from Covid. It is very clear, both in her statements and policy, that her goal is to reduce Covid deaths as much as possible.

I know a politician being clear, concise, and valuing the human right to life is foreign to people like you, but come on.
Gold: 9,030.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 23 2022 01:55pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jan 23 2022 02:52pm)
I wasnt comparing them.

You should work on your reading comprehension. It will save you wasted typing

Well, I would have to push back on that in all fairness.

Indirect comparisons through claiming unearned superiority are still simple to pick up on. My statement and it's facts also remain true until factually proven otherwise :)

My apologies for attempting to engage in meaningful debate with you -- I will ensure that doesn't occur again :)

Have a great rest of the weekend!

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jan 23 2022 01:57pm
Jan 23 2022 02:00pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 23 2022 01:55pm)
Well, I would have to push back on that in all fairness.

In other words you can't accept you were wrong. As usual. I wasn't making any comparison. NZ made a clear goal, accomplished it, and that's that. Other people are angry they value life more, and so they say they did worse.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1125126127128129165Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll