d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Secret To Success
Prev1234567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 330.00
Mar 28 2017 06:28pm
Quote (IceMage @ 29 Mar 2017 00:22)
You think a 10 year old black kid is hearing the "work hard and you will succeed" message in downtown Detroit, or Baltimore, or Chicago on the daily? People are somewhat a product of their surroundings. The downtown basketball court in my town where I play is routinely filled with trash on the ground, even though there's a couple trashcans there. You think that isn't learned through osmosis? Part of growing up poor is learning the behaviors of the people around you, which is something liberals miss completely. Middle class and upper class don't just stay there because of connections/education/wealth, they stay there because they weren't taught bad habits. They weren't raised to be nothing.

It's odd. You talk like you hate liberals, yet you talk like a liberal these days..... Not sure you see it, but heyho.
Gold: 25.20
Mar 28 2017 06:30pm
Quote (IceMage @ Mar 28 2017 06:22pm)
You think a 10 year old black kid is hearing the "work hard and you will succeed" message in downtown Detroit, or Baltimore, or Chicago on the daily? People are somewhat a product of their surroundings. The downtown basketball court in my town where I play is routinely filled with trash on the ground, even though there's a couple trashcans there. You think that isn't learned through osmosis? Part of growing up poor is learning the behaviors of the people around you, which is something liberals miss completely. Middle class and upper class don't just stay there because of connections/education/wealth, they stay there because they weren't taught bad habits. They weren't raised to be nothing.

Poor people often also learn to blame all their problems on other people
Like in Black Lives Movement

I think that's part of why they attribute other people's success to luck, connections, etc

This post was edited by FroggyG on Mar 28 2017 06:34pm
Gold: 285.00
Mar 28 2017 06:42pm
Quote (FroggyG @ Mar 28 2017 07:30pm)
Poor people often also learn to blame all their problems on other people
Like in Black Lives Movement

I think that's part of why they attribute other people's success to luck, connections, etc

Puke.
Gold: 5,016.77
Mar 28 2017 06:45pm
Quote (AyeCaramba @ Mar 28 2017 07:28pm)
It's odd. You talk like you hate liberals, yet you talk like a liberal these days..... Not sure you see it, but heyho.

I don't think my observation has to fall along ideological lines. People absorb their surroundings, which is why kids who grew up in the same town as me, and went to the same school as me, ended up in a different place. It wasn't just income, because I had poor friends growing up who managed to do alright. The parents of my poor friends weren't complete losers. They cared about how their children did in school, even though they didn't make much money.

BTW, who the hell are you rand?
Gold: 63,142.89
Mar 28 2017 07:31pm
ok, let's define hard work

Let's say there's an unskilled laborer who works in a factory from the day he gets out of high school until he turns 40. Then when he's 40, the factory gets shut down and he finds himself "poor".

Did he fail to work hard?

This post was edited by Kayeto on Mar 28 2017 07:34pm
Gold: 285.00
Mar 28 2017 07:34pm
Preparation + opportunity + the ability to fail gracefully and learn from it.
Mar 28 2017 07:34pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Mar 28 2017 07:31pm)

Let's say there an unskilled laborer who works in a factory from the day he gets out of high school until he turns 40. Then when he's 40, the factory gets shut down and he finds himself "poor".

No he just did the same job for over 2 decades and didn't even work to move up

Also if you combine that hard work with any other factor it basically increases exponentially

This post was edited by FroggyG on Mar 28 2017 07:37pm
Gold: 5,016.77
Mar 28 2017 07:42pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Mar 28 2017 08:31pm)

Let's say there's an unskilled laborer who works in a factory from the day he gets out of high school until he turns 40. Then when he's 40, the factory gets shut down and he finds himself "poor".

That's stupid work. I was going to edit my post, but working hard for years at the restaurant grill isn't working smart. You have to earn a degree and earn the respect of the management. Or you have to create a business.

This post was edited by IceMage on Mar 28 2017 07:43pm
Gold: 63,142.89
Mar 28 2017 07:49pm
Quote (IceMage @ Mar 28 2017 09:42pm)
That's stupid work. I was going to edit my post, but working hard for years at the restaurant grill isn't working smart. You have to earn a degree and earn the respect of the management. Or you have to create a business.

Exactly, that's what I'm talking about when I say we need to define 'hard work'. I take issue with the way things are worded. If the survey had said 'smart work' instead of 'hard work' then I wouldn't really have an issue with their response. What the survey (apparently) means by that phrase is different than what the 2 words (hard work) literally mean.

While we are at it, let's try to define success:

If a kid born in inner city Baltimore with no father and a crack addicted mother manages to move to the midwest and have a career as a used car salesman, then that is a success. But if George W. Bush had ended up with that same career, that would not be a success for him. I think the question needs to define success more clearly before we can talk about what the secret to success may be.
Mar 28 2017 07:53pm
Quote (Kayeto @ Mar 28 2017 07:49pm)
Exactly, that's what I'm talking about when I say we need to define 'hard work'. I take issue with the way things are worded. If the survey had said 'smart work' instead of 'hard work' then I wouldn't really have an issue with their response. What the survey (apparently) means by that phrase is different than what the 2 words (hard work) literally mean.

While we are at it, let's try to define success:

If a kid born in inner city Baltimore with no father and a crack addicted mother manages to move to the midwest and have a career as a used car salesman, then that is a success. But if George W. Bush had ended up with that same career, that would not be a success for him. I think the question needs to define success more clearly before we can talk about what the secret to success may be.

I believe the point is that people give their opinions on how to achieve their own subjective view of success
It's more about attitudes and behavior than quantifying the values

I doubt George Bush would see that as a success and so he would not rate the qualities of how he got there to be strong factors of becoming successful
The other guy has gone up a lot in society and if he worked hard to get to be a used car salesman then he would say that hard work is a strong factor

This post was edited by FroggyG on Mar 28 2017 07:55pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll