d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Secret To Success
Prev123457Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 90.58
Mar 28 2017 04:46pm
Life's a big game of RNG if you really think about it :(

This post was edited by JohnMiller92 on Mar 28 2017 04:46pm
Gold: 32,161.71
Mar 28 2017 04:46pm
Middle class is spot on

Gold: 1,261.00
Mar 28 2017 05:02pm
Quote (FroggyG @ Mar 28 2017 01:40am)

I don't get the second picture. It says whichever group had the most responses in a category attributes their success to that category. So if 1 poor person out of a 1000 says success comes from magic, and 0 middle class and rich people say that, then the conclusion is apparently that poor people attribute their success to magic.

Correct categories are:
The rich: Hard Work, Education, Spirit
Middle class: Education, Connections, Hard Work
Poor: Connections, Cheating, Initial Capital
Gold: 0.00
Mar 28 2017 05:33pm
Quote (brmv @ Mar 28 2017 07:39am)
nope, (tax) cheating is definitely a key to the success of the rich

I'd bet the vast majority of "rich" people do not cheat on their taxes.
Gold: 5,016.77
Mar 28 2017 05:58pm
Self-made rich people have the best attitude hands down. What's the phrase? The harder I work, the luckier I get. I've never met a rich person who inherited it, and every rich person I've met works at least 6 days a week. My wealthy grandfather used to tell people he's retired now so he only works half-days, which meant 12 hours a day.

Even though there's some truth in class warfare rhetoric, I think it's the antithesis of what poor people need to hear. The OP's images just show you how deeply that rhetoric has affected these people.

Gold: 2,647.74
Mar 28 2017 06:14pm
Quote (IceMage @ Mar 29 2017 12:58am)
Self-made rich people have the best attitude hands down. What's the phrase? The harder I work, the luckier I get. I've never met a rich person who inherited it, and every rich person I've met works at least 6 days a week. My wealthy grandfather used to tell people he's retired now so he only works half-days, which meant 12 hours a day.

Even though there's some truth in class warfare rhetoric, I think it's the antithesis of what poor people need to hear. The OP's images just show you how deeply that rhetoric has affected these people.

On an individual level it's a good message, but everyone hears that on the daily. It's often about how people focus their efforts which is dependent on how many resources you have, what sort of people you know, what education you have/what you know and what economic conditions are.

Which is why legal immigrants, specially Asians, are generally successful even when they don't come from wealth. They just put their heads down, try to get as high of an educational level as they can (often in boring but predictable fields) and often help each other get ahead.
Gold: 16,240.00
Mar 28 2017 06:15pm
lol abilities/talent so underrated, this + hard work or more like the ability to do hard work, can you be bothered

isn't initial capital just succeeding without doing anything not really an attribute to get there
Gold: 285.00
Mar 28 2017 06:19pm
The secret is be true to yourself (lol).
Gold: 25.20
Mar 28 2017 06:21pm
Quote (IceMage @ Mar 28 2017 05:58pm)

I've met quite a few rich as well that did it all themselves.
I don't think I've ever met anyone that just inherited.

Quote (dakariii @ Mar 28 2017 06:15pm)
lol abilities/talent so underrated, this + hard work or more like the ability to do hard work, can you be bothered

isn't initial capital just succeeding without doing anything not really an attribute to get there

Need money to make money I think is the point there
Doesn't necessarily mean you need to be rich. Just have some startup.

This post was edited by FroggyG on Mar 28 2017 06:21pm
Gold: 5,016.77
Mar 28 2017 06:22pm
Quote (Hizkuntza @ Mar 28 2017 07:14pm)
On an individual level it's a good message, but everyone hears that on the daily. It's often about how people focus their efforts which is dependent on how many resources you have, what sort of people you know, what education you have/what you know and what economic conditions are.

Which is why legal immigrants, specially Asians, are generally successful even when they don't come from wealth. They just put their heads down, try to get as high of an educational level as they can (often in boring but predictable fields) and often help each other get ahead.

You think a 10 year old black kid is hearing the "work hard and you will succeed" message in downtown Detroit, or Baltimore, or Chicago on the daily? People are somewhat a product of their surroundings. The downtown basketball court in my town where I play is routinely filled with trash on the ground, even though there's a couple trashcans there. You think that isn't learned through osmosis? Part of growing up poor is learning the behaviors of the people around you, which is something liberals miss completely. Middle class and upper class don't just stay there because of connections/education/wealth, they stay there because they weren't taught bad habits. They weren't raised to be nothing.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123457Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll