d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Existential Assisted Suicide
Prev16789Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,575.01
Warn: 10%
Feb 3 2023 06:21pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 28 2023 11:41pm)
This subforum has been more political than philosophical over the past several yeas, but I know there's some wicked smart and well-read people in our regulars. So:

Assisted suicide conversations/debate have largely surrounded the utility of such practices in the event of terminal illness of the body; however, I contend that from a existential lens (specifically, Albert Camus' work) that suicide is indeed the one true philosophical question within a meaningless universe/existence and that humanity should operate assisted suicide as a standard practice irrespective of whether one has a terminal illness or not (besides, the fact that we are all mortal means that existence itself is a terminal condition). People should not be forced to feel like they need to die in horrifically painful and lonely ways, and that should someone independently decide that they no longer wish to be conscious in a meaningless world, then they exercise one of the greatest arguments for free will: Nobody, and no entity, can force you to experience conscious existence. It should, of course, operate under regulation; however, laws against suicide/assisted suicide are deeply absurd in their reluctance to acknowledge that suicide/assisted suicide is neither moral nor immoral, but amoral.

Thoughts, contentions, ridicule? What say you, PaRD?

whats to stop the government from abducting someone, subjecting them to assisted "suicide", and then declare that that someone requested assisted suicide?
Gold: 4,575.01
Feb 3 2023 06:25pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 28 2023 11:41pm)
This subforum has been more political than philosophical over the past several yeas, but I know there's some wicked smart and well-read people in our regulars. So:

Assisted suicide conversations/debate have largely surrounded the utility of such practices in the event of terminal illness of the body; however, I contend that from a existential lens (specifically, Albert Camus' work) that suicide is indeed the one true philosophical question within a meaningless universe/existence and that humanity should operate assisted suicide as a standard practice irrespective of whether one has a terminal illness or not (besides, the fact that we are all mortal means that existence itself is a terminal condition). People should not be forced to feel like they need to die in horrifically painful and lonely ways, and that should someone independently decide that they no longer wish to be conscious in a meaningless world, then they exercise one of the greatest arguments for free will: Nobody, and no entity, can force you to experience conscious existence. It should, of course, operate under regulation; however, laws against suicide/assisted suicide are deeply absurd in their reluctance to acknowledge that suicide/assisted suicide is neither moral nor immoral, but amoral.

Thoughts, contentions, ridicule? What say you, PaRD?

there's an inherent contradiction in this logic

if it is postulated that existence is meaningless, why does it matter if someone dies in a horrifically painful and lonely way?

Would this not imply there is meaning in someone's existence?

As well, why does it matter at all if people are tortured/killed/held prisoner against their will? Why does it matter at all if bad stuff happens? Why does it matter if people suffer if life is meaningless?

This post was edited by El1te on Feb 3 2023 06:27pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Feb 3 2023 09:14pm
I think it's a bad idea.

It's hard to create an infrastructure where it can't be abused, and it's very rare for it to be warranted.
Gold: 2,955.95
Feb 4 2023 03:56am
why would government be "interested" is assisted suicide?
would make democide easier
Gold: 5.00
Feb 4 2023 05:10am
From the perspective of the suicider, it's assisted suicide. From the others, it's mercy killing. If you automate it like Futurama suicide booths, then it gets obfuscated a bit.
Gold: 1,339.70
Feb 7 2023 04:31pm
Quote (TiStuff @ Jan 29 2023 10:04am)
1.are we created? 2.or are we an accident?
1.is there a higher power? 2. or is it all nothing?

the first one is infinite the second one is finite

Your questions arent as important as you want them to be.

In the end it doesnt matter if someone created me or not. It doesnt matter if anything is infinite or finite or eternal or not eternal.

What matters is the subjective purpose of my life. How do I value my life, thats the important point.

I personally believe that this here on earth is the only life we have and that makes every day special and far more purposeful than eternity could ever be.
Gold: 2,955.95
Feb 7 2023 04:54pm
Quote (Modulok2405 @ Feb 7 2023 02:31pm)
Your questions arent as important as you want them to be.

In the end it doesnt matter if someone created me or not. It doesnt matter if anything is infinite or finite or eternal or not eternal.

What matters is the subjective purpose of my life. How do I value my life, thats the important point.

I personally believe that this here on earth is the only life we have and that makes every day special and far more purposeful than eternity could ever be.

you say its not important then choose finite " ...more purposeful than eternity could ever be"
Gold: 1,339.70
Feb 8 2023 01:47am
Quote (TiStuff @ Feb 7 2023 11:54pm)
you say its not important then choose finite " ...more purposeful than eternity could ever be"

Whats the problem with this?
Gold: 1,453.85
Feb 8 2023 02:31am
I know that we shouldn't help just about anyone to kill themselves, however I just feel that nobody should have the power to decide for another person whether they are "fit to die", as ghot pointed out.

Gold: 35,396.24
Feb 8 2023 05:32am
Quote (JessiWan @ Feb 8 2023 02:31am)
I know that we shouldn't help just about anyone to kill themselves, however I just feel that nobody should have the power to decide for another person whether they are "fit to die", as ghot pointed out.

Just another piece of the removing whites puzzle.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev16789Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll