d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Existential Assisted Suicide
Prev156789Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7.77
Jan 30 2023 06:30pm
Quote (Santara @ Jan 30 2023 03:46pm)
That could be a factor, but weigh it against the harm reduction in *no ones dies*. That's an awfully high hurdle to compare other harms.

I don't disagree with that. I'm more so asking about the potential (real) scenario in which people have received help and assistance in finding a desire to continue to live/reprieve from their suffering, and who choose to still end their life. Exploring this conversation for myself, I think that I fall into the category where I wish we did have such a system for assisted suicide so that people don't die impulsively, lonely, and in gruesome ways such that others will have to stumble upon them.

On paper, I have my sympathies for the idea. In actuality, I do think it may be untenable.
Jan 30 2023 06:31pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jan 30 2023 03:58pm)
Depends how you define harm. The increase due to ease of access would be defined as harm by a lot of people.

Such is the way of all 'harm reduction' applications.
Gold: 17,384.69
Jan 30 2023 07:31pm
No one die but guns must flow :mellow:
Gold: 63,142.89
Jan 31 2023 12:14am
I'm in favor of it and here's my system:

People who want euthanasia must apply for it. In order for your application to be accepted, it must meet 2 criteria:

1) It must have been originally filed at least 5 years ago

2) You must be at least 40 years old

Someone who has not changed their mind in 5 years and has made it to age 40 has given the world enough of a chance. They can be let off the hook.
Gold: 17,384.69
Jan 31 2023 11:28am
Quote (Kayeto @ 31 Jan 2023 07:14)

People who want euthanasia must apply for it. In order for your application to be accepted, it must meet 2 criteria:

Someone who has not changed their mind in 5 years and has made it to age 40 has given the world enough of a chance. They can be let off the hook.

How about giving priority on medical expertise, even jury, and on checking if the person is really sure of her/his decision ?

- A large part if not almost all of these people are terminally ill.
- Many untreatable diseases are progressing faster when you are younger.

So 5 years seems a bit ridiculous i'm sorry to say that. Btw i think it's already 1 year in Belgium, not sure.

This post was edited by Meanwhile on Jan 31 2023 11:29am
Gold: 29,642.00
Feb 1 2023 12:39pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 29 2023 01:41am)
This subforum has been more political than philosophical over the past several yeas, but I know there's some wicked smart and well-read people in our regulars. So:

Assisted suicide conversations/debate have largely surrounded the utility of such practices in the event of terminal illness of the body; however, I contend that from a existential lens (specifically, Albert Camus' work) that suicide is indeed the one true philosophical question within a meaningless universe/existence and that humanity should operate assisted suicide as a standard practice irrespective of whether one has a terminal illness or not (besides, the fact that we are all mortal means that existence itself is a terminal condition). People should not be forced to feel like they need to die in horrifically painful and lonely ways, and that should someone independently decide that they no longer wish to be conscious in a meaningless world, then they exercise one of the greatest arguments for free will: Nobody, and no entity, can force you to experience conscious existence. It should, of course, operate under regulation; however, laws against suicide/assisted suicide are deeply absurd in their reluctance to acknowledge that suicide/assisted suicide is neither moral nor immoral, but amoral.

Thoughts, contentions, ridicule? What say you, PaRD?

I support assisted suicide even if the person isn’t terminally ill. They didn’t ask to be put on this earth, they’re welcome to leave it whenever they’d like. No harm done here. People are going to commit suicide no matter what, might as well help them do it the best way possible/painless way possible. It doesn’t even concern anyone aside from the person and their doctor anyways, not sure why we aren’t already practicing this in 2023. No one should be ‘forced’ to play the game of life, especially those with mental illness/disabilities.

This post was edited by crosspawz on Feb 1 2023 12:40pm
Feb 2 2023 07:15pm
i think its the human condition to want to resist the mortal coil

thats why i believe the people who came up with the concepts of religion tried to control the masses by making it seen as morally bad to want to commit a suicide

i dont know if i particularly support assisted suicide for just any random person, but i also dont know if me as an individual gets to have a say on such things...or even should have a say, kind of like the topic of abortion

i personally would rather try to get the affected individual to try and find meaning in life, but as someone who has accepted that whatever reason we may be here for, we shall never know in life, i just dont know if i am against it or not...

existence itself is such an enigma, we all wish we understood what it meant, but the cruel reality of existence is simply that we wont know, and once we perish, thats it...when you look at it that way it makes supporting assisted suicide an easy call

but as someone who has alot of reasons to live for, and looks forward to the future, i personally cannot understand why someone who wasnt terminally ill would want to go about it
Gold: 1.93
Feb 2 2023 09:15pm
Honestly boomers would be dragging their elderly parents in high on whatever they could force them to take and instructing them on what to say the moment they signed off on the new will.
Gold: 63.45
Warn: 30%
Feb 3 2023 12:21am
pfizer bio n tech are doing this everyday
Gold: 78,759.69
Warn: 10%
Feb 3 2023 12:41am
Quote (Kayeto @ Jan 30 2023 11:14pm)

i would agree with that accept for people who are terminally ill. it can be an early age and be too fast for the 5 year time period. i have watched a couple of my young relatives and friends die slow painful deaths because their parents wanted a few more months with them even though they were not really there because of pain/drugs to be themselves. just an empty shell who was their kid and is breathing is all that mattered.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev156789Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll