d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Dune (2021)
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Oct 26 2021 05:10pm
Quote (Booyaka @ Oct 26 2021 03:44pm)
i came in there with 0 knowledge and enjoyed it alot

then i did a bit of research on google to learn more and i enjoyed my second watch even more

I'm glad to hear that. Most of the people in my immediate circle found it boring or at best underwhelming, so I'm glad to know others enjoyed it as much as I did.

Definitely some things that irked me lol, lack of character development early on, especially for Dr. Yueh (since it makes shit super anticlimactic later on), Hawat, and overdevelopment of Duncan. Making Paul more arrogant and ridiculously emotional as opposed to his normally calm and controlled demeanor. The weird way they decided to use the Voice, which bugged me in almost every scene it was used. Most annoying though, the environmental harshness of the planet. Throughout the entire fucking movie these people are never wearing protective gear, Paul isn't left a fucking suit (which why? that was so dumb), people are just running around bareboot like it's no big deal, and this is a planet where you'd literally die without a suit in two hours at most, and people are just chill as fuck lol.

Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 26 2021 03:57pm)
Idk I think even if you aren't familiar it's a good movie. Lots of really amazing set pieces.

Although the amount of people I've seen complain that Zendaya was only in the movie for like 5 minutes has me :rofl:

God people are stupid.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Oct 26 2021 05:10pm
Gold: 39,837.69
Oct 26 2021 05:13pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 26 2021 05:57pm)
Although the amount of people I've seen complain that Zendaya was only in the movie for like 5 minutes has me :rofl:

Apparently Twitter was exploded in outrage that she’s only in it 7 minutes. I don’t even know who the bitch is
Gold: 0.00
Oct 26 2021 05:15pm
Quote (EmericAn @ 26 Oct 2021 19:13)
Apparently Twitter was exploded in outrage that she’s only in it 7 minutes. I don’t even know who the bitch is

lol
Oct 26 2021 05:19pm
Quote (EmericAn @ Oct 26 2021 04:13pm)

Me neither lol, my wife mentioned her being someone, but I'd never heard of her.

Gold: 10,025.00
Oct 26 2021 05:33pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 26 Oct 2021 17:10)
I'm glad to hear that. Most of the people in my immediate circle found it boring or at best underwhelming, so I'm glad to know others enjoyed it as much as I did.

Definitely some things that irked me lol, lack of character development early on, especially for Dr. Yueh (since it makes shit super anticlimactic later on), Hawat, and overdevelopment of Duncan. Making Paul more arrogant and ridiculously emotional as opposed to his normally calm and controlled demeanor. The weird way they decided to use the Voice, which bugged me in almost every scene it was used. Most annoying though, the environmental harshness of the planet. Throughout the entire fucking movie these people are never wearing protective gear, Paul isn't left a fucking suit (which why? that was so dumb), people are just running around bareboot like it's no big deal, and this is a planet where you'd literally die without a suit in two hours at most, and people are just chill as fuck lol.

God people are stupid.

Yeah I mean most of the issues I have with it are clearly because of time constraints, and the rest are because it's cinema.

There are some scenes that are missing or were changed that I think should've been more faithful, if it was a miniseries like you said it would have fixed this. But it's a movie so can't complain too much.

And it's a film with movie stars and people who want to grow their fame, so obviously the suits and direction need to accommodate that. Just have to deal with it as an inherent part of the medium.
Oct 26 2021 05:36pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 26 2021 04:33pm)
Yeah I mean most of the issues I have with it are clearly because of time constraints, and the rest are because it's cinema.

There are some scenes that are missing or were changed that I think should've been more faithful, if it was a miniseries like you said it would have fixed this. But it's a movie so can't complain too much.

And it's a film with movie stars and people who want to grow their fame, so obviously the suits and direction need to accommodate that. Just have to deal with it as an inherent part of the medium.

Just felt there were ways they could have gotten around most of those things, but you're right and I know I'm expecting too much.
Gold: 10,025.00
Oct 26 2021 07:13pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 26 Oct 2021 17:36)
Just felt there were ways they could have gotten around most of those things, but you're right and I know I'm expecting too much.

I have 3 major issues with the movie. Well..4 if you count Bautista. Dude brings down every project he is involved in. Makes good things mediocre. But 3 main story issues.

Book spoilers below.

1:
When they go to view the spice harvesters in the book it's like "oh yes I see the worm over there, yes tell them their new leader spotted it and told them to split the bonus, look at how good I am at politics, also why aren't they moving?" And the guide is like "meh it will take the worm 15 minutes to show up, they won't stop harvesting for 14 minutes. It's not that big of a deal, we kind of do this a lot"

In the movie literally everyone starts freaking the fuck out immediately, as if they have zero experience doing what they are doing.

In the book the carryall is no where to be seen because of political intrigue, in the movie it's just shitty equipment. Meh, boring.

2:
The attempt on Paul's life. In the books it fills the house with distrust and starts the idea of a traitor in the house. It's a big political move that colours the rest of the story.

In the movie it's just "well at found this hiding dude.. Guess that's done now".

3:
The dinner. Pretty self explanatory. One if the best most suspenseful and intriguing political part of the book. Just gone.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Oct 26 2021 07:13pm
Oct 29 2021 04:18pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 26 2021 06:13pm)
I have 3 major issues with the movie. Well..4 if you count Bautista. Dude brings down every project he is involved in. Makes good things mediocre. But 3 main story issues.

Book spoilers below.

1:
When they go to view the spice harvesters in the book it's like "oh yes I see the worm over there, yes tell them their new leader spotted it and told them to split the bonus, look at how good I am at politics, also why aren't they moving?" And the guide is like "meh it will take the worm 15 minutes to show up, they won't stop harvesting for 14 minutes. It's not that big of a deal, we kind of do this a lot"

In the movie literally everyone starts freaking the fuck out immediately, as if they have zero experience doing what they are doing.

In the book the carryall is no where to be seen because of political intrigue, in the movie it's just shitty equipment. Meh, boring.

2:
The attempt on Paul's life. In the books it fills the house with distrust and starts the idea of a traitor in the house. It's a big political move that colours the rest of the story.

In the movie it's just "well at found this hiding dude.. Guess that's done now".

3:
The dinner. Pretty self explanatory. One if the best most suspenseful and intriguing political part of the book. Just gone.

If we're talking about pure plot deviations, there were other equally annoying things.

Kynes death was one of my absolute favorite scenes in the book, and they took a giant shit on that for absolutely zero reason.

I touched on it before, but you brought up the beginning of it. That distrust that builds from the assassination attempt, and from a well-timed Harkonnen letter, leads many to believe Jessica is the traitor. When you factor in how it's supposed to be impossible to flip a trained physician, she becomes the most likely culprit, and a source for Gurney and Hawat's ire following the Duke's death. Two things that should hold relevance in the sequel, which I feel they'll awkwardly hammer in, since they failed to lay the appropriate groundwork.

All in all though, they followed the plot a HELL of a lot better than I anticipated, so I can't be too upset.

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Oct 29 2021 04:38pm
Gold: 0.00
Oct 29 2021 05:49pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Oct 29 2021 09:18pm)
If we're talking about pure plot deviations, there were other equally annoying things.

Kynes death was one of my absolute favorite scenes in the book, and they took a giant shit on that for absolutely zero reason.

I touched on it before, but you brought up the beginning of it. That distrust that builds from the assassination attempt, and from a well-timed Harkonnen letter, leads many to believe Jessica is the traitor. When you factor in how it's supposed to be impossible to flip a trained physician, she becomes the most likely culprit, and a source for Gurney and Hawat's ire following the Duke's death. Two things that should hold relevance in the sequel, which I feel they'll awkwardly hammer in, since they failed to lay the appropriate groundwork.

All in all though, they followed the plot a HELL of a lot better than I anticipated, so I can't be too upset.

my fav part was when he was trippin ballz under the sand tent when hes trapped with his mom and hes fry'n ballz on the spice, cuz the original movie was based off taking acid and tripping ballz and everyone's just sweating and talking and trippin out. ofc you could never understand given ur age and what i already kno of u.
Besides all that, all that reminded me of is the 1st season of game of thrones, where they kill off all the big name actors so the sequels can all be cheaply made and terrible, dune2021 had good parts but mostly corny, a good once over, enjoyed free guy more tbh, and thats sayian sumthin.
Gold: 2,094.99
Oct 30 2021 02:35pm
This was the first time in a very long time, where I walked into a movie thinking “I hope this is epic” & my expectations were completely met. I really enjoyed it. The story, acting, pace, cinematography, score, etc were all pretty damn dope, imho. I’ve never read the books, however I’m sold & purchased it yesterday.

My only regret is not seeing it on the big screen. I’ll probably go watch it again just to do that.

This post was edited by IgoSoHard on Oct 30 2021 02:36pm
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll